Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Interesting topic about ford (not so good) hoods

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Renownedd 
#1 ·
So the other day I noticed my hood is oxidizing. But its only doing it underneath and on both sides of the hood and the (underneath) top in certain spots, It's doing it by the crimps of the hood. I've been told it could be something by the factory because of the glue/aluminum (might be contaminated) thats holding it together where it was crimped down by the side and the front. Now I did drive the car in Ohio in the winter months. Could it possibly be where it was salt walter laying, that could cause this oxidizing?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#4 ·
yeah, i had to get my hood repainted when it was 1 year old because of bubbling on the lip.

#21 · (Edited)
did this resolve it for good or did it come back? I have the same problem on my 11 v6. I was quoted about $300+ to repaint the hood and was told to get an aftermarket instead because it would most likely come back its right around the lip and in a seam. You can buy replacements hoods on ebay for around $300 but would need to repaint them to match the car.

#9 ·
My hood has been oxidizing since I took delivery in May 2010 of my 2011. Don't touch it. Don't smash it with your finger nails. Don't stick a pin hole in it. Don't worry or think about it.....:)

#10 ·
Ford replaced mine under warranty. The dealer stated that repairs never work and the aluminum corrosion will come back. If you are keeping the car getting an aftermarket hood is the only real solution.

#15 ·
My original hood was first stripped and repainted under warranty, then a year to the day it was back at the dealer for the same issue. They replaced the hood without hassle. Been almost 3 years on the new hood and it's been perfect.

#16 ·
So I went to the dealer yesterday and they told me they would work on it and repair it and warranty the work so if it ever came back they would fix it with no questions, might just need to get it in writing. They also told me that every bodyshop told me to replace the hood because they probably are not aluminum certified. They have another area that they work on just aluminum. So it wouldnt get contaminated again. So what do yoy guys think?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#17 · (Edited)
If the corrosion has not reached the top of the hood, I would clean up the blisters to the bare metal and leave it for a while. Aluminum will not corrode when exposed to air so removing the blistered paint will stop the corrosion in its tracks. It can only occur underneath the paint where it is not exposed to air. I did that with my 2012 and none of the corrosion has returned and I just touched up the bare spots on the underside where they are hardly noticeable.

#20 ·
Trufiber hood. Done. Just do it if you are that worried about your hood. Only permanent fix is aftermarket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.