Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Noise or low-pitch squeaking sound over bumps

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  tym_v6 
#1 · (Edited)
It was going on and off before, but now it's consistent.

From front-left side of my car, when i go over bumps or pot holes, it makes kind of low-pitch squeaking sound. I'm assuming strut on driver's side on the front. (I attached a vid with sound)

Before I even think about replacing any part myself, I wanted to confirm with pros out there.

I'm not a pro mechanic, but I'm trying to learn, and if i figure out about this, then I'm gonna try to replace any parts that is necessary to make this noise go away. It sounds like the wheel may pop out on highway someday.

Any tips will be appreciated. :bow:

#5 ·
Getting “format not supported” error message for your video. Best of luck getting it to work, but in the meantime, I don’t think it would cost you anything to take it by a mechanic and have them listen to it. They might even put it up on their rack for free to diagnose it.

#7 ·
Thanks for the tip. I can start from there since lubing sway bar bushing or even replacing it is a lot easier than replacing the whole shocks or strut. I'll let you updated once I take a close look at the sway bar bushing, so i can determine if its grease got washed away or damaged.

#8 ·
About a month ago mine was doing the same thing but only over bigger speed bumps. I haven’t heard it since though (haven’t driven over speed bumps) so I’m interested in finding out what it is too. Honestly everything under my car looked brand new though so it might be tough to diagnose.

#9 ·
During past few days, I researched a bit, and found out there was TBS issued long time ago for this problem. I'm not 100% sure if the TBS i got was the most recent (or the final) TBS, but at least I know that it's not only me who's having the problem. I attached the TBS to this reply.

I'm thinking to replace the whole front lower control arms, and now i'm shopping around what would the cost for this job. Hopefully not too much. I'll let you guys updated.

P.S. I realized that the video that i uploaded was really short (like 2 or 3 seconds), so as soon as it gets played, the screen goes to the ad, but the audio is playing. If you click on play button, you can listen to the low pitch noise.

Attachments

#15 ·
Hiya, Mud!

Same here. Could even *feel* the vibration through the floorboard sometimes.

IIRC, the latest variant of the front LCAs has heat shields to (allegedly) protect the hydro bushings from engine heat.

#13 ·
I’m not sure about the warranty. As far as I know, a recall is for anything related to safety, so it’s covered by manufacturer. A TBS is like something “annoying”, but not directly related to safety issue.

About this front squeak noise, some say that replacing only front LCA rear bushing resolves the noise issue. Some say the whole front LCA replacement.

Even if both methods resolve the problem, personally I’m leaning towards replacing the whole LCA. Since I’m jacking up my mustang and get down there, why not do some more and get upgraded. I know I’ll suffer from the budget, but I know that I’ll be smiling while I’m driving. That’s what matters to me. ?

#14 ·
Ah ok. I have an aftermarket warranty that I know will pay for it if I take the car in and the dealer diagnoses it but I don't think its worth the hassle of having to leave my car at the dealership for a couple of days. I will probably just live with it myself as long as its not a safety concern and maybe change out bushings in the future. I hear the energy suspension bushings are pretty good though in case anyone is looking at just doing bushings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.