Mustang Evolution Forum banner

My Poor Pony

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Soccerluvr4 
#1 ·
I had a beautiful 2012 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible until I was hit from behind by a Ford Explorer going 35 mph without braking!! No one hurt other than my poor pony!
I know the insurance company is going to low ball the price they will pay me. (I think it will be totaled!) Any thoughts out there on:
- where to find the best pricing value of my car (did KBB and Edmunds)
Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is too bad, I feel for you.....the first thing I think that I would have done is ask to see the other driver’s phone.....I’ll bet they were looking down at it in their lap and texting.
Distracted driving is the ONLY thing that I am in favor of automated driving for.......Yeah, that is totaled....

#5 ·
If I were you, I’d find out how to contact the investigating officer, and ask them to do a little more investigating — with the goal of proving that she was texting at the time of the collision. Notice, I did NOT call this an accident — there is ALWAYS a cause.....and cell phone use while driving is killing and injuring people WAY too often in every state.

#4 · (Edited)
Our state recently passed a new distracted driving law that law officers are emphasizing with directed patrols. Heck, it’s even illegal to eat while driving if you weave out of your lane while doing so.....but especially for using cell phones in ANY manner while behind the steering wheel (even while stopped at a light!!). To use a cell phone while driving a car, you have to pull completely off the roadway.
The real problem is that people used to hold their phone up on top of the steering wheel while they read texts. Now with the new laws making that illegal, they all hold the phone down between their legs, which causes them to completely lose sight of the road ahead. Unintended consequences, I guess. The new laws make things MUCH worse at first.

#10 · (Edited)
If you have GAP insurance you should get the full value of what the car is worth. If you were hurt (legitimately) and you might have to pay medical, make sure you get involved getting the other person's insurance to cover it. I would also get the officers to look at the phone. Problem is if the person was not texting you can't really prove anything... I dunno how you'd go about 100% proving they were on the phone. Then you get into ppl changing their music via a streaming service and how is that different from looking down at the radio etc... etc... Only real solution is automated driving which is coming. Give it another 10-15 years.

That said, you are on the right path with an attorney and doing all that. Yes it is totaled btw... good excuse to get a V8 with the prices they are going for these days... Hopefully YOUR insurance does not go up because of this...

Most important thing is hopefully everyone is safe and not injured. Although a few broken bones to the other person might keep them off their phone permanently if smashing into another car already didn't.

Reactions: Rickster1951
#11 · (Edited)
That really sucks man. Just remember that injuries like that you usually will not feel the same day or week but after a while they will catch up. I know sometimes people wanna help the other guy out but if they have insurance its the insurance thats gonna pay. So if you need a rental car argue for it, if you use your car for work argue for lost wages, get as much as you can out of the insurance companies they sure seem to like jacking their prices up every few months and at the end of the day nothing’s gonna change. So have them pay you what is right and if they do not then take them to court I’m sure if they know that their driver is at fault they will want to negotiate rather than go to court.

#12 ·
Looks pretty bad :(. I got rear ended several years ago and nothing showed up with X-Rays. My neck wouldn't get better, then had a MRI done and it showed 3 messed up disk in my neck. It took a couple years but I got a 6 figure settlement :)

#13 ·
Speaking about cells phones in regards to distracted driving, I am in the middle of breaking this habit. I setup my bluetooth connection before I start driving and pull up Spotify.

I am still trying to work out the kinks for voice control to read and send text messages with Google Assistant, so I have no need to pick up and read/send a text.

#14 ·
Dude, forget about all that and just drive your car and pay attention while you drive :thumb:

#16 ·
If you have an iPhone you can use Do Not Disturb While Driving. Just turn it on. It defaults to off. People sending you a text get notified that you are driving and that you will respond when it is safe to. you can still receive phone calls while driving. Its a great feature of iOS.

#17 ·
So Sorry about your car. The important thing is that your OK!

#18 ·
Eh, hands free voice control is no different than anything else you do while driving and still looking at the road. But its all distracted driving even just talking on bluetooth with both hands on the wheel.

#19 ·
All this talk about cell phones and distracted driving...smh.....just look at the displays they put in cars these days. You are forced to take your eyes off the road to for something as simple as changing HVAC settings....and dont get me started on the multitude of steering wheel buttons. Sorry, back on topic. Sorry about your car. Glad you are ok.

#20 ·
Oh no totally agree. Self driving is coming. Mandatory self driving roads will be a thing and then within 50-100 years ppl will wonder who was nuts enough to pilot a 5000lb hunk of metal with little to no automated safety features at 80mph down the road with hundreds of other basically untrained operators.

Because when you think about it that's basically what it is lol. If any other daily used common thing killed 40,000 people a year we'd be talking seriously about bans.

#22 ·
They say it's coming...

Recently, the first pedestrian fatality occurred involving a Uber self-driving car in Arizona. A woman was walking her bicycle across the road and the car hit her apparently without attempting to brake or swerve in avoidance.
In another case, a Tesla being driven with "driver's assist", drove a man straight into a road barrier, killing him.

There are going to be some serious legal and technical hurdles to overcome before we see widespread use of autonomous vehicles in the future...

#21 ·
The Mustang really absorbed a lot of energy! And that Explorer looks like it will be back on the road next week.

Sorry that happened to you, and glad nobody was seriously injured.
In many cases, the insurance companies will pay the high retail "book" value to settle a total loss on a well maintained vehicle. If you have some aftermarket equipment, or other extenuating circumstances, that you feel is not being accounted for in their settlement offer, you will need to bring that to their attention and negotiate for fair compensation.

#24 · (Edited)
IDEA

If it's indeed totaled, it is worth a small fortune parted out. If you are so inclined to dis-assemble it, you can probably get first dibs to by it back from your insurance company for cheap. I did this thru Hagerty once with an MGB, but I didn't part it out, I repaired it myself (deer hit driver front corner). In another situation, I parted out an 88 Mustang GT, and did very well. FWIW! Glad you're OK!
PS- I also have a black 2012 V6 Convertible.

#25 ·
If it's indeed totaled, it is worth a small fortune parted out. If you are so inclined to dis-assemble it, you can probably get first dibs to by it back from your insurance company for cheap. I did this thru Hagerty once with an MGB, but I didn't part it out, I repaired it myself (deer hit driver front corner). In another situation, I parted out an 88 Mustang GT, and did very well. FWIW! Glad you're OK!
PS- I also have a black 2012 V6 Convertible.
Yeah, I see wrecked Mustangs being parted out on eBay all the time.

But most importantly, glad that the OP (and everyone else)! A car can be replaced.

#26 ·
For sure NOT worth a small fortune with the amount of them already parted out and the market flooded with 1st gen Coyote/Cyclone stuff from whole cars to engines. Plus the amount of time you'd have to put into pulling it apart and then advertising, selling and shipping all the little parts after you tore it apart, took pictures, inventoried everything and then stored it.

Lol no...

#27 ·
But, but, I could use some of the good parts! ;)

Agreed that it's probably not worth the hassle for the OP. If I were in his shoes, I'd take the cash, scream at the person that hit me, and order a new car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.