Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Fuse 47 Jsimmons Relay Mod - Wiring for the Relay?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  14v6spdNJ 
#1 ·
Does anyone have or know the correct wiring for fuse 47 relay mod that uses a fuse socket connector in the fuse box (without cutting the blue green wire under the fuse box) or the old wiring diagrams from Jsimmons on the fuse 47 relay mod he did?

This is where I am stuck, the fuse socket connector has two wires running out to the relay but I don't know where those two wires connect to the relay or where the inline mini fuse comes into play (assuming after the 30-87 pins are joined)?

According to the information I have, 1 wire from the fuse socket connector goes to the combined wiring for pin 30 and 87 but does the other go to pin 86 for the trigger to turn on the relay or does it go to ground?

It's unclear how the inline fuse is wired in (on 86 or combined 30 and 87) and also if ground (pin 85) is grounded to the chassis or to one of the terminals on the fuse socket connector?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I have no problem wiring at all as I have the experience/tools/parts, just don't want to splice into the blue-green wire under the fuse box (original mod) and want to do the jsimmons mod. However, all of his diagrams/write-ups are gone now and its a bit confusing reading some of the old threads I found on how it was wired with the fuse socket connector instead of cutting the blue-green wire under the fuse box that powers fuse 47.

These are the diagrams I have but it doesn't show how the relay or fuse socket connector are wired.

Product Tire Automotive tire Font Text

Auto part Technology Electronics Engine Vehicle

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I had no idea what a "Fuse 47 Jsimmons Relay Mod" was so I looked it up.
It defeats the adaptive sifting on your auto trans, to whoever may be reading.
I think I'll look into this for my '09 v6 auto. Could be slightly different wiring on an '09.

What about those diagrams already! /grin

I found this
Permanent removal of adaptive shifting in your auto V6. - Ford Mustang Forum

I'm at work so I can't do a lot of research here.
I hope that helps.

Reactions: 14v6spdNJ
#3 · (Edited)
I've had this "mod" on my Mustang for 2+ years with no issues. Mine is "Plug & Play", no cut wires, & easily removed if necessary. It works as advertised. Each time car is shut down for 15-20 minutes the adaptive learning feature of the transmission reverts back to "out of the box".

The link above is a good resource and worth the time to read.

DISCLAIMER - NO WARRANTY/GUARANTEE EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
Proceed at your own (and your Mustang's) risk.
This is NOT advice, just what works for my 14 Mustang V6 Prem Vert

My relay pins as follows:
#86 - To ground - attached mine to a stud on the pax side shock tower
#85 - Spliced to wire attached to pin 30
#87 - To inboard (engine side) of main fuse box 47 slot. This wire has inline fuse holder that holds original 15AMP fuse from #47 holder.
#30 - To outboard (fender side) of main fuse box 47 slot.

I can't get picture to post. If you want PM an email and I'll send to you.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 14v6spdNJ
#5 ·
Okay! Just because I dont know........ why would I want to do this? Mine is a daily driver and I do love how well it performs. Why would I want it to learn my habits every time I shut down for the day?

#6 ·
Depends on your driving style. It affects automatic transmissions more noticeably as it learns your driving habits and adjust shift points as a result, for manuals the effect is throttle response from my experience. So basically, if you drive aggressive all the time, the car will respond aggressive and vice-versa.

My work commute is a mix of painfully slow-moving heavy traffic (basically barely crawling from a stop up to 30-45mph on a one lane road due to fully-loaded tractor trailers clogging the road for 20-40 minutes), open highway for a short period of time and some stop/go city driving.

Even though my car is a manual, the throttle response goes from good to very, very poor quickly due to my commute. The car isn't a daily-driver either, which doesn't help since it doesn't get a chance to learn my commute nor does it get a chance to be driven aggressively long enough safely to get the computer to adjust the throttle response.

I've tried MPT tunes, intake upgrades, exhaust upgrades, shifter/chassis upgrades and the same result happened every time, performs great for 1-2 days then gets watered down/weak feeling with hesitation in throttle inputs soon after. I got so annoyed I was thinking of trading the car in for a 5.0 until when searching for "3.7 sluggish throttle response and hesitation" turned up pulling fuse 47.

So I tried pulling fuse 47 for 10 minutes and then driving the car. My stang basically became an animal at least for a few days until the computer adjusted to my work commute again. The throttle response was instant, passing and take-off power was outstanding, and the car would basically light up the tires or drift/slide on command with little effort if I wanted with traction control off.

So, if your interested in finding out what happens to your throttle response, pull fuse 47 and give it a shot. If it makes no difference to you, then it might not be worth the time. For me, it's a huge difference and the only caveat is having to remove the fuse every few days gets old so this mod is a worthwhile cheap investment.

#7 ·
Is this the same as "KAM RESET" on my S3/XF3 tuner?
I haven't needed to get that thing out in quite a looooong time.

#8 ·
Yep it's the same as the KAM reset function on your tuner. I was using the same function on my SCT tuner as well for awhile, the fuse pull was just slightly quicker to me and the bypass seems to eliminate the need for either potentially if the relay works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.