2010 Mustang GT, I finally ordered one and need help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Question 2010 Mustang GT, I finally ordered one and need help!

So here's the story. I've always wanted a Mustang, I used to own a 1998 GT which was beautiful and well maintained even if it was almost ten years old at the time I purchased it. But, as fate would have it, someone wrecked into it while I was shopping for a new oil filter ironically enough, totalling the car . So now that I'm deployed overseas to Iraq with the Oregon Army National Guard, I have another opportunity to own a brand new 2010 Mustang GT, 5 Speed, Trak Pak, in Kona Blue, built from the factory. BUT, here's where I need help before finalizing the deal and getting it built and shipped to my house to wait for me once I return from my deployment. I've read review after review, blog after blog, looked at hundreds of pictures before getting this far. Makes no sense in spending $35K on a car that I'm not absolutely sure I'm gonna be happy with owning. So here's a couple of questions to current 2010 Mustang GT, 5 Speed owners who've actually owned one for more than a week ;

How does the car perform after the initial week?

Has the handling really lived up to the Car and Driver magazine hype?

How does the ride feel with day to day driving?

Any known issues? (i.e. plastic breaking suddenly, 12v port no longer functioning, ect. ect.)

How does it sound inside the cabin? (ford spoke of the notes being piped into the cabin) is it deafening? or annoying?

What is the suggested (and typical cost of) window tinting products?

What oil is best used for this car and what fuel is recommended?

Does the leather feel weak (will crack and tear easily) like it did in previous years?

How solid do the throws feel when shifting? Does the clutch feel mushy?

Is the rear seat okay with having passengers in it like in the 1998's to 2004's?

How roomy is the trunk area?

How well does the SYNC system work and is there an Ipod USB port? (there was some mention of it in a blog but I couldn't confirm it anywhere)

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as they come up but this is the first time me buying a brand new car, at 25 and in the military you'd think I would have by now but I haven't, sadly. So any suggestions on top of those questions would be greatly appreciated.
MilitaryMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 2010 Mustang GT, I finally ordered one and need help!

Well before I answer your questions, I just want to make you well aware that the 2011 (that are said to start production in march of next year) are going to have (most likely) a big boost in performance and hopefully will get the 5.0 400hp engine vs the current 4.6 underpowered 300hp version... so If I was you I would put it on hold and wait for the 5.0 version. Just want to let you know so you are not heart broken when you realize the 2011 has much more to offer vs the 2010 and is close to being released (supposed to release information in december about what they are gonna do for 2011)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I'm well aware of the big 5.0 engines coming back with ordering starting in january and production set for march. I'll have to confirm that with my sales rep while I'm overseas about if I can switch to the new release or if I have to stick with what I'm getting. Either way I'm excited about getting the newest rendition of the mustang, but we'll see. I'm just curious about what current 2010 Mustang owners have experienced so far. Just so I can feel a little better about spending the $33K I'm currently spending on the 4.6L platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Oh, I am sorry. I did not know you had already placed the order, I thought you were soon finalizing it and had not turned the order in yet. Either way they are nice vehicles.

My friend has an 08 GT so I can answer based on it

How does the car perform after the initial week?

The new platform is very solid, its far far superior to the old fox platform. The quality of the "moving parts" is better as well, my friend has 20k on his 08 GT and it still runs great. No squeeks or other such annoyances.

Has the handling really lived up to the Car and Driver magazine hype?

The new platform has a very solid base and the panhard bar on the live axle works very well. Overall its a very good handling car for a Mustang. Some slight improvements will of course make it much better (stiffer busings, slightly lowering the car, etc)

How does the ride feel with day to day driving?

the stock wheels/suspension ride quite well considering its a mustang. If you do lower it the ride will become more bouncy by a little (stiffer springs) and with a smaller tire sidewall it will get a little worse. The 05+ have a taller sidewall stock so this helps ride vs older years.

Any known issues? (i.e. plastic breaking suddenly, 12v port no longer functioning, ect. ect.)

The seat buttons located at the top corner for the passengers to use to get in/out of the car in 05-09 are prone to easily being broke~ not sure on 2010s though.

How does it sound inside the cabin? (ford spoke of the notes being piped into the cabin) is it deafening? or annoying?

What is the suggested (and typical cost of) window tinting products?

Ive used formula 1 before, anything with a lifetime warranty should be good.

What oil is best used for this car and what fuel is recommended?

I would use only full synthetic, as far as brand... thats up to you. German spec castrol, amasoil, mobile 1, or royal purple seem to be on the top of the list.

Does the leather feel weak (will crack and tear easily) like it did in previous years?

The leather in the 2010s is noticeable better and should last much longer than the previous years. Its much softer looks better made.

How solid do the throws feel when shifting? Does the clutch feel mushy?

Im not going to lie... the shifter mechanism being off the transmission feels more squishy than prevous years by FAR... its not bad stock but getting into 3rd fast can be bothersome due to the flimsy design. An mgw shifter makes AN AMAZING difference. My friend LOVES his in his 08 gt. Its not quite as nice as previous designs feel wise but... it works pretty good. The clutch is hydrolic so it feels light, I dont care for this but its the way it is.

Is the rear seat okay with having passengers in it like in the 1998's to 2004's?

I think the rear seating is the same as 94-04~ they seemed to get more leg room by once again taking the rear leg room away.

How roomy is the trunk area?

Same as 94-04~ maybe a touch bigger across.

How well does the SYNC system work and is there an Ipod USB port? (there was some mention of it in a blog but I couldn't confirm it anywhere)

I know in all other cars 05+ there is an audio port, and I know on most all sync cars there is a usb that comes with the car to use.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well the deal is still in the works being that I'm still waiting on Ford Motor Credit to get their act together and get the final numbers. But OMCS (Overseas Military Car Sales) also known as ENCS (Exchange New Car Sales), had already put together an order for me and I've laid down a $1k deposit to get the car price locked in for me (if the price goes down, I'm guaranteed the lower price, on top of better rebates should they come out). But thank you for the info! But how does it sound from inside the cabin? Ford said that they specifically had the notes piped directly to the cabin so you can hear what a muscle car should sound like, but is it deafening after a long ride? or does it get annoying after a while?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

First off, thank you for your service! My son's regular Army, and I'm retired Navy. I don't own a 2010, but my 2008 isn't obnoxious in the cabin and I have an aftermarket exhaust. My car's exhaust sounded pretty good from the factory, and I don't believe that you'll be annoyed with the sound of the 2010 in the cabin. There is no drone in the cabin, and even with my Magnaflow setup, I have to get on her pretty hard to wake up the noise level. If the 2010's have the mufflers under the trunk like the 2005-2009 models, don't worry about the noise level. If the mufflers were under the back seat, then you might not appreciate the sound. However, I don't think you'd be buying a muscle car if you weren't interested in hearing her do what she was designed for! Good luck, stay safe, and keep your head down.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

thank you very much for the input! and kudo's to your boy for decided to be the 1% of the american public to be in the military, so hope your boy is staying safe as well! And your absolutely right, buying a muscle car and expecting her to be quiet is like asking if you want a paper-cut to the eyeball. LOL. I've been a mustang fan my whole life so this is an exciting thing for me. But, is it possible that Ford will have their new 5.0L platforms for the 2011 similarly priced at the 2010's 4.6L? I know it's kind of a silly question to ask until they officially release the numbers for it, but out of curiosity. I'm sure I'll still be really happy once I do get the 2010. So again, thank you for the help!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #8

Region: Oklahoma

I too am in the military, I have been active duty Air Force for 17 years. I bought a 2010 GT with the auto trans about 2 weeks ago and have been happy with it. It handles nice, has room for the 2 kids, decent trunk space, and fit and finish are pretty good. It is peppy but not scary fast. It is what it is. I got the base GT after rebates for just over $26K.
mike74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I test drove a 2010 with a 5 speed stick transmission and the sound is not annoying. The exhaust sounds a lot better than the 05-09 stock exhaust IMHO. Around 4-6k RPM's it sounds F'N MEAN!!! The sync system does have a USB port but I didn't see it but it also works through bluetooth. Spector is right about the leather. It hold you really tight and it feels like there was more quality put into it than previous years. I am going to wait till 2011 model but no reason for me not to take a joy ride haha
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

ive yet to ride in a 2010 to compare sound~ everyone says its better stock vs stock... but ... im more interested in aftermarket vs aftermarket in how it sounds in the cabin~
Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

hmm, well I just spoke with my sales rep and he said because of how my order is and when I ordered it, switching to the 2011 won't be a big deal. and in fact, if I do switch, my price shouldn't really go up or down a whole lot. So I'm thinking that going with the new 5.0L engines will be a better fit anyway. Just wanting to see if the body style will remain the same, which I'm sure it will. Do you guys think that there will be some aftermarket availability for the 2011 5.0L engines much like the 4.6L engines have?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

MilitaryMustang, you're welcome for the input, and thanks for the well wishes about my son. He made it home safe after 15 months in the sandbox. Anyway, about aftermarket goodies for the 2011, they'll make it to market eventually. Just don't expect a lot of stuff right away, especially since it will have a new motor. Intake configuration will be different, probably exhaust layout will be different, too. Of course, since it will be a 5.0 vs a 4.6 3-valve, the PCM will be different and so tuners will not be immediately available. Not to discourage you from a 2011; just saying it might take 6 months or so for the goodies to start hitting the market.
MetallicMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Its still not set in stone that the 2011 will get a new engine, no one really knows its all speculation but I am pretty sure they will lean that way and we will know in December.

Ford is generally good with the after market about letting them develop parts early so they are ready... but Ive not heard much this go around. Either way parts will start being developed and most all 2010 parts will work on the 2011 minus engine/transmission stuff~
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

sweet, so if I do indeed get the 2011. and it does come with the 5.0L, I can then join the 5.0L forums. I've been seeing a lot more rumors floating around about the new 5.0L will also get a 6-speed tranny to compliment the additional horsepower, but more likely the additional gear may be used as a way to lower the rpm's and reduce gas consumption much like with the Camaro, again this is all speculation and has definitely not been confirmed, but as you mentioned, we will all find out for sure come december's LA Auto Show. (which my uncle is going to go see in my place, was gonna go but got deployed). So I suppose then that suspension and body kits will be available for the 2011 much like they are for the 2010? Also, I'm a huge drifting fan, how easily will either car be modded to compliment that and still be daily driveable do you think?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea who knows... my 6 speed doesnt have a better high way gear for gas mileage the final drive is .63 vs .68 for the 5 speed of the time lol.. else the camaro .50 final drive would have really helped gas mileage.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Thumbs up Re: well put it this way

MY 2010 GT by far puts my lancer evolution 10 to shame. Beside the handaling aspect it out does the EVO X. on the track and road test it beats out the Charger, Challanger, and Surprisingly the new Camaro the only thing the camaro has better is in the 1/4 run it pulls on the mustang gt by one tenth of a second and stops 10ft shorter when braking. i would not trade my GT for nothing!
usmc_berkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

hmm, most definitely sounds like I made a wise decision. I just recently spoke with my sales rep here in Iraq and he told me that since I placed my order to ship in may, being that the '10 stops shipping in april, I'll be able to swap for the 2011's once they become available. Speculating that they are accepting orders in January as the rumors keep floating around about. So I'm thinking that if indeed Ford does confirm that the 2011 will have the 5.0L with the performance numbers that most forums have been speculating on, then I'm definitely going to switch, especially if they incorporate the much needed and desired Brembo braking system with their beefed up Trak Pak. But do you think they will keep the price point at least decently similar to that of the 2010's? Is it possible that the 2011's Trak Pak be a similarly priced upgrade like in the 2010's? I know this is probably way too soon to be asking those questions before they release the info at the LA show in the next few weeks, but doesn't hurt to ask right? LOL. Hopefully if they are pushing 400hp at the brakes, then it won't be too much of a stretch to beef it up to 500+hp. That would pretty much blow out most of the silly little ricer's running around my town, LOL.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2010 mustang