TURBO CHARGE or SUPERCHARGE - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Question TURBO CHARGE or SUPERCHARGE

it has been awhile since i have been in the muscle car side but i am coming back with mustangs which is the better route to Slap some twins on her or just supercharge her?
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: TURBO CHARGE or SUPERCHARGE

depends on your bank account from what i've seen turbos are more expensive. IMO i'd go supercharger.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

You'll make more power with turbo but it will be more expensive. If price isnt a problem then I would go with turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its cheaper to supercharge, but turocharged makes more power and in the end will be faster~. A good roots supercharger will probably be more fun driving around town, it will feel faster as it gives bottom end/low rpm power.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

If you're looking for all out power go turbo, but as said a roots style supercharger give you more of the seat of the pants fun on the street. As it makes instant power off idle.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

KB........FTW!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Kenne Belle or a Big Single turbo.. hellion.com can help u out if u wanna turbo. i would choose the kenne belle if its your DD.
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

All great advice I would give. My take on the matter is this:

Turbochargers
Pros: More power and more "efficient" in the sense that since it's not driven by the crankshaft (via a belt and pulley like your accessories) and thus will not rob you of any horsepower

You also do not see a lot of turbo'd Mustangs and even less 2010s Turbo'd.

Cons: Lag time, but in fairness it is probably non-existant or quick. I don't know how the 2010 looks market wise for F.I. but I would assume there currently isn't much so probably a lot of custom fabrication and modification will occur which correlates to more money. Turbos are more expensive to begin with as well (as already stated).

The modular motors have their powerband moved into the higher RPMs so I would expect the power from the turbo to be a little later. Then of course you could think of it as bigger displacement engine's powerbands occur quickly in the RPM range and a turbocharger would extend that powerband more so you will still have some "go" even at 3500+ RPMs.

Superchargers Where you have Roots and Centrifugal
Pros: Roots style offers instant power the second you gas it, centrifugal also has a "lag time" but is probably quicker than that of the turbo. Superchargers are generally "easier" to install and cost a bit less. The aftermarket for them is great since there are many manufacterers out there: Kenne Bell, Whipple, Eaton, Procharger, Vortech. Of course some may or may not actually carry the right S/C for your car so you'll have to check.

Cons: Some HP will be lost in the belt system, the powerband is shifted up more.

Afterthoughts
Some of this is opinion and mostly theoretical. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of points as well but that's how I look at it. I'm also not trying to be biased or anything, the decision is up to you and either choice is great. Even if somebody else isn't happy with your decision who cares? It's your car you do what you want with it. Either way you'll need a new tune, but either way you will also get that wonderful F.I. sound

Just throwing this out there but how different are the 2010 4V motors and the 03/04 4V motors? How possible would it be to throw on a Termi's blower on these new cars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

^^ they are quite different, the blower wont bolt up, but they make many root style blowers that will from whipple, kb, etc (ford racing makes one comparable to the eaton on the 03/04 cobras)

Root supercharges give more bottom end though vs centrifugal style fyi.

I peak my tq at like 2500-3000 rpms
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

As Osirisguy stated, it is entirely up to you and what your budget allows. This is of course, my own personal opinion, it totally depends on what you intend to use the power for. Plus beefing up the internals prior to dropping any kind of F/I isn't a bad idea either, but here is a personal take on some possible applications/uses;

Drag Racing:
Most dragsters use a SC being that it is quick and nearly instaneous power, although I cannot confirm this for sure but from all of the dragsters I know personally they use a super charger.

Drift:
Your best bet would be to go with a Turbo, high rpm's are frequent in this style of racing and will often hit the rev limiter quite often to maintain the level of power needed for a successful slide in and transitioning and out of turns. The Turbo's lag might be a slight issue but being that most of the pro's go with this application, chances are that it's pretty minimal. I'm no expert drift racer, just a big fan.

Circuit/Track:
Might be good to go with a SC, but a TC isn't a bad choice either. Depending on the track though, again I'm no expert.

Daily Driving/Track Weekend/Bragging rights:
As SpectorV mentioned, a Root SC is a wallet saver and gives you a great deal of torque at the lower end but will still give you a very decent power band in the other RPM's. Plus it is easier to install and most companies offer a SC kit (SC, intercooler, belts, hoses, pipes, ect.) that will apply to most of the V8 mustangs. But as mentioned before, beefing up and upgrading the internals prior to any kind of FI is a good idea. Can't tell you how many of my friends have just slapped a turbo or supercharger and end up blowing up the engine (figuratively and litterally), due to overboosting and no upgrades on anything else.

Again this is my own personal opinion, and I'm most definitely not an expert in ANY of those fields, so take it for what it's worth. But horsepowerfreaks.com is an Oregon based aftermarket parts company that has a HUGE area of parts, the staff is friendly, knowledgeable and overall very eager to help you out and give you upfront advice on what you need and don't need. Their customer service is absolutely top notch. They make it a point to remember your name too LOL.

In closing, we can give you all the advice till we're blue in the face, but ultimately it is YOUR car and YOUR money. Your best bet, is to do the research online or go down to your local auto parts place (after market places are usually best) and ask ask ask a LOT of questions. There, I've said my peice LOL.
MilitaryMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

wow.....dam......between military mustang and osiris guy i dont know what to say. they said it all lol
its impressive how knowledgable everyone on this site is!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT