2009 Ford GT Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Dark02Pony
2009 Ford GT Mustang

Rumors that engineering mules of the 2009 Mustang have been testing in Arizona have recently surfaced in more than one place. Aimed to hit the market just in time for the 45th anniversary, the new 2009 Mustang has a major challenge ahead with coming competition from GM and Chrysler. The Dodge Challenger has been given the go-ahead and Camaro is a car that GM just has to build. Ford is working on a new Mustang that is planned to meet that challenge, but there are many hurdles in that. They are budget poor and as history has always shown the Mustang has had few friends in the bean counter department. So a complete ground-up re-design is out. Instead we will see a sweet evolution of the Mustang we have today, but a one that should address the weak points of today’s car and then some.

So what is the 2009 Mustang going to be? More retro? More power? A true coupe? The following words represent our best soothsaying predictions based on market knowledge, our product strategy experience, educated guessing and a little bit of rumor.

2009 Mustang Body and Exterior:

Bold. The 2005 Mustang was openly accepted by the Mustang faithful because of its heritage design , but many die-hard Ford Mustang fans often critique the current car as being a little plain and lacking excitement. Ford reads the web forums, the magazines and the tea leaves. The 2009 Mustang will be more daring and bold in its styling. We don’t look for the wheelbase and overall dimensions to change much. However more pronounced front and rear flanks combined with a proportionally smaller glass area is sure to make the 2009 Mustang look more “buff“. Retro throwback cues will continue to rule the theme of the car, but 21st century details are going to come back into the mix like projector beam headlights for example. Many Mustang pundits say the car will follow history and evolve toward a ‘69-70 Mustang look. Marketing gurus say the ‘70s are BIG with our Generation Y buyers. That is who the next Mustang needs to hook in. The 2009 Mustang will be more muscular and bolder in form and is indeed likely to take styling DNA from ‘69 to 70’s models. It will have sharper and pronounced lines that are perhaps more modern however. Up front we certainly see a more contemporary facial expression with menacing eyes. One needs only to see the Camaro and Challenger concepts from the 2006 Detroit Auto Show to see where this could be headed. Further, the notion that a full-blown notchback coupe is coming is not all that far off. The current convertible Mustang shows that the envelope can work from both a styling and packaging standpoint.

Familiar engines like the 4-valve supercharged DOHC modulars and the 3-valve 4.6 will be back for 2009. New fuel saving displacement-on-demand (DOD) technology will be new however.

2009 Mustang Engine and Drive-train:

Evolution. The new 3-valve 4.6 liter V8 will likely soldier on as the standard 2009 Mustang GT power plant. It has already proven to be a winner both on the track and on the street. What is sure to be new for Mustang is displacement-on-demand (DOD) technology that will shut down 4 of the 8 cylinders while coasting or cruising at speed. When you step on the gas, the computer will provide seamless power delivery when the full cylinder count comes back on line. Because of the added efficiency afforded by DOD, a more aggressive tune will be feasible offering up to perhaps 325-340 hp. The 4-valve version of the 4.6 and 5.4 are also likely to return in either supercharged or naturally aspirated forms for higher performance models. A 3-valve 5.4 liter V8 is also a possibility as it is less costly than a supercharged engine with similar power.

For the base power plant in the 2009 Mustang we believe the new 3.5 liter DOHC V6 built in Ohio should replace the decades-old German built 4.0 liter truck engine that the current car uses. The new 24-valve power plant offers more standard power at around 250-260 and is a far more refined and happy revving engine for the Mustang.

Will a six speed transmission ever become standard in the 2009 Mustang? Perhaps, but it is more likely to be a six-speed automatic that is available at first. Unless the competition warrants otherwise, our bet is on the 5-speed manual to stick around except on hi performance models like the Cobra. A true manu-matic sequential gearbox with shift paddles on the wheel is an expensive proposition that might be in the cards for the upper line Cobras, but we aren’t holding our breath.

2009 Mustang Chassis:

The “DEW-lite” chassis the 2005+ Mustang rides on was a significant investment for Ford even though it was derived from the existing floor pan that carried the Lincoln LS, Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type. Significant changes had to be made to lighten up both the weight and cost to fit within the Mustang’s needs. We see an evolution of the current chassis to continue under the new Mustang but with a few key changes. An independent rear suspension (IRS) was initially planned for the 2005 Mustang but notably missing when it arrived on the showroom floors. Why? It costs too much. While Ford has said that customers “don’t want it”, and that “it is not necessary, blah, blah”, they are well aware that the competition from GM and Chrysler are going to have it. They are aware that customers want it and that it’s a necessity to win over import buyers that would otherwise shop for a Nissan 350Z or other comparable sports cars. Thus, the next Mustang will have IRS if it is to be taken seriously among its peers both stateside and from abroad.

Left: Will Ford implement their new IRS design from the SUV lines? Right: The "My-Color" instrument panel is not coming back for a second show.

2009 Mustang Interior:

While it has earned high marks in fit and finish, design quality, and overall execution the 2005 Mustang’s interior has been much maligned for its cheap feeling hard plastics. We look for both visual and tactile improvements in the surfaces that the driver touches and has in their immediate sightlines. A new steering wheel, instrument cluster and door panels should take on a bolder more deeply sculpted theme to compliment the new exterior lines. Bolder, less retro touches with a simpler more “fun” feel will be implemented to help the 2009 Mustang appeal to a younger audience. Think of the interior in the BMW Mini Cooper S. The “My-Color” instruments will likely see the trash heap as it was a costly and unnecessary feature that in the end was more trouble for Ford than it was worth.

Summary:

Our impression at this point is that Ford will continue to develop the Mustang in ways that exceed their efforts throughout the 1980’s and 1990’s as the success of the car in the showroom has their attention. While a number of special edition Mustangs will be coming our way in the meantime such as the upcoming 2007/2008 Mach 1, the 2009 Mustang might just be the one to wait for.

Rumors of the 2009 Ford Mustang: TheMustangNews.com - 2009 Mustang
Operation: Evolutionization.......Member #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
Ford Motor Company = FoMoCo..
what does that make Honda Motor Company????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole
Mineral Gray is such a hott color. Much better then orange
Dark02Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: 2009 Mustang ?

Cool!!
Nite-Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I agree that they need another re-design pretty quick. I like the 05+ style, but it is kinda plain and will probably get old fast. Plus they it'd be really nice if they could manage to shed at least a couple hundred pounds in the process. The GT500's are approaching 2 tons, which is ridiculous for a "pony" car. Not that I wouldn't kill to have one or anything...

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

sorry, but i dont like the 05 style.................i'd drive the sketched car, but that other picture clip of the *** end on that car is ****in ugly.

ford needs to get the people that designed the 94-04 model mustangs to design the new ones, b/c they had it with the 94-04 design
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I don't like that at all

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

eh, it needs at least 5.4L DOHC 4V to compete with the redesigned slomaro rumored at 400hp. or a base GT with the 4.6 for teh yuppies, and a higher end GT(maybe call it the GTS?) with the 5.4L. in any case, they need the 5.4L if they want to keep making the **** heavier, the measly modular just isnt cutting it in a hemi/LSx world.

but im with 04stang, they shouldve added to the 99-04 design instead of going retro. the only 05's id touch were ones created by Foose himself.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

those certainly look exactly like the initial "05 sketches" but the article does mention that.

There's not really anything new there, at least not to me.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteStang99
those certainly look exactly like the initial "05 sketches" but the article does mention that.

There's not really anything new there, at least not to me.
Just a new rear end..everything seems the same except for a chopped roof line
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Personally i think Ford is trying way to hard to compete w/ the upcoming challenger and camaro. What they really need to do is sit down and discuss it and take their time instead of just saying " we need to be faster , we need to be faster " they need to take their time and do it right. Do it right or dont do it at all.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

I like the idea of DOD technology. I think it would be a sweet combo to throw in FI. I can picture myself cruising down the freeway and then stepping on the gas and getting 4 more cylinders pumping and a turbo sucking in air. That should throw you back in your seat. talk about an exponential hp/torque curve...

I like my style so I hope 5 years from now I can incorporate a more advanced and effiecient engine into mine and make it all work seamlessly.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #11

I agree with the posters above, that Ford might have simply taken the 99-04 design as a starting point, and improved it from there. We have an 00 V6 that is now into the low 90,000 miles, and we even went out and bought a Mini Cooper to replace it, but we just cannot bring ourselves to sell the 'Stang! We make two trips a year from PA to FL, and I absolutely love to drive that car those long distances! Frankly, we might have been better off doing that 347 stroker transplant on our 00 Stang we once planned to do, and just saved the money!

I would really like to know who the Ford marketing guys are talking to, if anybody, about the future directions for their vehicles? Did anybody go into a Ford dealership lately and stand there and look hard at what they're trying to sell? No freaking wonder they are in trouble!

HP, TORQUE, TOP-DOWN, 17s (at least), 13" brakes, that's what they should be selling!
TheDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

it's a sports car... stop going for the semi-sporty look... don't market it as "designed like the '69" and make it look like the damned thing. The '69 Boss is one of the sexiest cars ever put together. I don't think the 05+ looks anything like it. I don't care if it does have "modern cues".... it's ugly... scrap it. Seriously, Ford just put out the Ford GT... that's one sexy *** car, now, take some of that time and design a GOOD looking Mustang.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:12 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

The `05's suck, and their whole body style needs to be scrapped. They won't do this though I'm sure. I think if they do something like they did with the transition from the `98's to the `99's, that may possibly work as a band aid until they get the guts to completely redo it. They had better not put an IRS in it though unless they do it right. The stock Cobra IRS won't cut it, it's good if you upgrade some of the parts, but that shouldn't have not have been left up to the owner, it should come that way from the factory. I'm sure the supercharged 5.4 will stay in a Cobra model, and the 4v 4.6 will be the new GT engine. It will be interesting to see how the new DOHC v6 will be.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to tedness

the back of that concept looks like a crossfire. and i agree that they didn't have to make it weigh so much. much of it is in the bodywork too. yes it makes 300hp, but it doesn't exactly balance the added 300-400lbs of weight. now if it weighed as much as the sn95 and generated that 3v all motor hp it might be different.

i can't really see them doing too much to change the s197 design either in the next few years of production, except maybe introducing something else along the lines of the mach or something.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

I guess you either like the new body style or you don't, I love it.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

ford has yet to compete with GM in the HP race (other than the 03/04 cobra and the new shelby cobra) they dont have to... so they wont.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
ford has yet to compete with GM in the HP race (other than the 03/04 cobra and the new shelby cobra) they dont have to... so they wont.
gm's engines are a liter+ bigger. more displacement = more power = more fuel usage
Old 02-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
gm's engines are a liter+ bigger. more displacement = more power = more fuel usage
ls1's get just as good gas mileage as a v6 stang under moderate acceleration..........for the most part
Old 02-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #19
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang
ls1's get just as good gas mileage as a v6 stang under moderate acceleration..........for the most part
The LT1 I drove (6 Speed) got the same gas mileage as my V6 Mustang in City. It got about 8-10mpg on the interstate though

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark
just cause a motor is bigger doesnt mean its gonna get more power
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i cant tell from that pic.. i would like a bigger picture.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

That top sketch IS from the early sketches of possible 05 designs.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark02Pony
just cause a motor is bigger doesnt mean its gonna get more power
no, but it does mean they have torque
Old 02-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04stang
no, but it does mean they have torque
this is true...in most cases. (comparing your hopefulyl soon to be 3.5 to a bigger v6, 3.8/3.9 , 4.0.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-26-2006, 10:28 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark02Pony
this is true...in most cases. (comparing your hopefulyl soon to be 3.5 to a bigger v6, 3.8/3.9 , 4.0.
actually that 3.5 has more tq than my 3.9 and the 4.0s............its sittin at 300hp/270tq

i was just comparing it to those little honda motors that make like 240hp (s2k) and not even 200 lb-ft tq
Old 03-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #26

Send a message via ICQ to Jeff H Send a message via AIM to Jeff H Send a message via MSN to Jeff H Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff H Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff H

For 2009, I would make subtle tweaks to the exterior. Right now, it "looks" a little high-riding compared to say a 350z. The rear exterior could use some work (it doesn't look as good as the front to me... can't quite say why). Bigger wheels. Six-speed manual.

But most of all, bring the interior up to par with the rest of the car. The dash/controls seem "cheap" compared to everything else.

I like the retro speedo and tach. I like the steering wheel. But the rest of the controls, knobs, buttons and lights look they belong in a Taurus.
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the 99-04's are rip off of the 94-98's origional design. They just made it look better for the times. The 05s are new all over, and the new frame is what adds on the extra weight. They will probably just change it a bit and stick it back out there as they did in 99.

Dont expect much more power from them either, I wouldnt expect much more than 20-30hp~ its not like the mustang wont sell just as good either way (at least to ford)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

yea, they'll probably just change the 05 style like they did the 99-04 from the 94-98...

i hope they change the headlights. the way the headlights slope downward on the outer edge bugs me, it would look much more aggressive it they sloped upward
Old 08-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #29

Region: Canada
Re: 2009 Ford GT Mustang

I hated the mustang II look and hated the 94-04 body just as much. I love the 05+ body. I used to own an 89 4 bannger. It was my first car and it wasn't that bad. I owned an 04 v6 for 9 months and hated it. Now I own an 06 v6 and I LOVE MY CAR. I would have bought a GT but I just cant afford it right now. I will only ever drive mustang's and I plan buying another one probably around 2009-2010. If they still have the Shelby running in production or the Saleen i'll hopefully be ok to buy one of them
Bnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #30

Region: Other

I prefer the 94-04 mustangs myself. I am not to thrilled with the body style on the newer ones. But I am a fan of the grabber orange 07.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

not sure if this has been pointed out but the rear shot on that page.. is of the ford reflex concept and is entirely unrelated to the mustang..

that is all
Old 06-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #32
Road Trip!

siiiiiick
Master_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #33

Thumbs down Re: 2009 Ford GT Mustang

I think they should redo everything. The '05s are tired and weak. The styling was sweet on the prototype but like everything else when it hit production it looks like plastic junk. I never really liked it when it first hit the production lines but now that everybody and their grandmother has one I dislike them even more. Whoever designed this one was was over-paid. CHANGE IT ALL! The whole retro thing is just overrated and outdated. It started with the Viper looking like the A/C Cobra and should've stopped there. These designers are getting paid to be original, instead they're jumping on the bandwagon and doing what everybody else is doing.
chloespapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

The viper looks NOTHING like an AC Cobra. Just because Carroll Shelby had a huge hand in both, doesn't mean that they even remotely look alike. And Ford is technically being original. They were the first ones with a retro sports car, Chevy followed with the re release of the Camaro, and Dodge with the Challenger.

I'm glad everyone and there mother has one. That means the mustang is selling and doing GREAT. Which also means that modified mustangs stand out more because of all the stock ones running around. You need to reevaluate your thoughts and your info.

Either way, welcome to the site.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloespapa View Post
I think they should redo everything. The '05s are tired and weak. The styling was sweet on the prototype but like everything else when it hit production it looks like plastic junk. I never really liked it when it first hit the production lines but now that everybody and their grandmother has one I dislike them even more. Whoever designed this one was was over-paid. CHANGE IT ALL! The whole retro thing is just overrated and outdated. It started with the Viper looking like the A/C Cobra and should've stopped there. These designers are getting paid to be original, instead they're jumping on the bandwagon and doing what everybody else is doing.
If you want a vehicle to point to that started the retro movement, look no further than the PT Loser..... errr..... PT Cruiser. That vehicle was the very first of the modern day retro-styled vehicles.

Now as for the Viper/Cobra comparison.... .... do even know what vehicle you're referring to?

1997 Viper vs 1969 AC Cobra..... I even found similar paint jobs and angels that you can use to compare the two.

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT