Realistic Engine Expectations of the 2009 Ford Mustang... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR
Realistic Engine Expectations of the 2009 Ford Mustang...

Me, I'd like to see a 4V version of the current 4.0, with a forged steel
crank, that sucka has a huge (big block!) bore spacing of 4.760" and
sleeved, could get bores up around 4.5 inches fully sized out. Get a good
forged crank for it and 300+ c.i. V6's would be a reality!

The 3.5 DOHC was mentioned in the article, anyone got any specs on that?
Hopefully it is a stout engine which would allow major power upgrades and
possibly major displacement increases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Realistic Engine Expectations...

It's actually a very nice motor and would be a huge upgrade from the 4.0. From what I've seen they'd probably be rated 250-260 in stock form. It's in the Duratec family of engines (the largest v6 in the group).

Here's some info.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Wow, that 3.5 sounds really good...I wonder how sturdy it is?

Old 02-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
It's actually a very nice motor and would be a huge upgrade from the 4.0. From what I've seen they'd probably be rated 250-260 in stock form. It's in the Duratec family of engines (the largest v6 in the group).

Here's some info.
that would be nice

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Lightbulb Re: Realistic Engine Expectations...

Quote:

Here's some info.

In that link, there is another link, and the data indicates that the duratec
can be made into a 3.8 (factory) so imagine what we could do with it using
our Mad V6 Skillz

I believe our pushrod 3.8 can get awful close to 5.0 liters, in fact I'm almost sure
Old 02-22-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Best thing about it is the block is made right here in Alabama, so it should be pretty darn stout.

Here is the extra info.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Best thing about it is the block is made right here in Alabama, so it should be pretty darn stout.
call it the Dura-Bama-Slama

Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 AM   #8

Region: Wyoming
Re: Realistic Engine Expectations of the 2009 Ford Mustang...

Ok...maybe this will help...I've been wanting to do this hybrid myself...You say you want to see a 4 valve 4.0? Look on eBay for some 2.9 Cosworth heads...these heads have to be from a pre-'98 Scorpio. The 4.0 is based on the old 2.8 V6 originally found in the Pinto/Mustang II...the euro 2.9 is based off the same block. The reason why you can't use '98 or newer heads is that Ford of Europe revised the block to make the package shorter overall...basically the newer heads won't physically work on the 4.0 block...but the pre-98 heads will...anyway, long story short...custom pistons, the DOHC setup from the Ford/Cosworth Scorpio and either hack up the stock intake manifold from the 2.9 or fab a new one, and presto...your very own Cosworth 4 valve 4.0 V6! There is even a site for Scorpio owners that gives detailed info on rebuilds and has technical drawings...like every swap, there will be hurdles, but if you're dedicated and buy ALL the parts (they have to be shipped from Europe) at once...cams, heads, intake, front timing cover, water pump, chain tensioners, etc., you will save a bundle on shipping...y'know make sure you're dealing with someone who is good at following up on the paper work so that you're package will pass customs, and you have a one-of-a-kind engine that'll cause people to drool...hell, turbo that sucker and you'll be eating Shelby GT500's for lunch.
WYLDHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLDHorses View Post
Ok...maybe this will help...I've been wanting to do this hybrid myself...You say you want to see a 4 valve 4.0? Look on eBay for some 2.9 Cosworth heads...these heads have to be from a pre-'98 Scorpio. The 4.0 is based on the old 2.8 V6 originally found in the Pinto/Mustang II...the euro 2.9 is based off the same block. The reason why you can't use '98 or newer heads is that Ford of Europe revised the block to make the package shorter overall...basically the newer heads won't physically work on the 4.0 block...but the pre-98 heads will...anyway, long story short...custom pistons, the DOHC setup from the Ford/Cosworth Scorpio and either hack up the stock intake manifold from the 2.9 or fab a new one, and presto...your very own Cosworth 4 valve 4.0 V6! There is even a site for Scorpio owners that gives detailed info on rebuilds and has technical drawings...like every swap, there will be hurdles, but if you're dedicated and buy ALL the parts (they have to be shipped from Europe) at once...cams, heads, intake, front timing cover, water pump, chain tensioners, etc., you will save a bundle on shipping...y'know make sure you're dealing with someone who is good at following up on the paper work so that you're package will pass customs, and you have a one-of-a-kind engine that'll cause people to drool...hell, turbo that sucker and you'll be eating Shelby GT500's for lunch.
Got Link?

I saw a neat Volvo 4valve head swap for my buddy's 2.3 OHC 4 cyl.
It was a very comprehensive swap, and Teh Beauty Thing is the Ford now owns Volvo!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #10

Region: Wyoming

Ford Scorpio 1995+ and if you are looking for excellent Scorpio parts look for a guy named madmadscorpio on eBay...he's always got a ton of quality auto-exotica.
WYLDHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

they're not gonna change engines in the mustang until 2014 at least

the most we'll get for 2009 is a slightly stronger tune, i'd guess around 225 for the v6, 320 for the gt.. ~375 to 400 for specialties and 550 for the cobra
Old 08-04-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark View Post

the most we'll get for 2009 is a slightly stronger tune, i'd guess around 225 for the v6, 320 for the gt.. ~375 to 400 for specialties and 550 for the cobra
Based on current life cycles for engines, that makes sense. 2014 that is.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #13

Get a 4.0 and do the cosworth thing dad!
ToNyStAnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark View Post

I don't think it will be that long before they swap over to the 3.5L Duratec. If so, they are complete idiots. It's a great little motor.

I'm thinking the GT may start getting a 5.4L before too awful long as well. They are reaching the point where they are getting as much NA horsepower out of a 4.6L as possible (for a factory car car that has to pass all sorts of emissions anyway).

Scary stuff.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
I don't think it will be that long before they swap over to the 3.5L Duratec. If so, they are complete idiots. It's a great little motor.

I'm thinking the GT may start getting a 5.4L before too awful long as well. They are reaching the point where they are getting as much NA horsepower out of a 4.6L as possible (for a factory car car that has to pass all sorts of emissions anyway).
Good points Blunt, but while the sooner Duratec changeover makes sense,
I forsee that a 5.0 factory modular will emerge as the engine of choice for a GT.
Guess we'll have to wait and see!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

they need to use 4v engines in everything. this 2 and 3 valve stuff just doesn't stack up to competition. a 4v I4, 4v V6 and 4v V8 (across all models, not just mustang) would be cheaper in the long run to produce than having a dozen different blocks in everything becuz the only thing that would change would be the crank and intakes. everything else could be swappable

that's what nissan is doing. they use the same v6 block in the altima, maxima, frontier, pathfinder, xterra, murano, 350z and quest.. the only things that change between models is a) the crank (3.5 for cars or 4.0 for trucks) b) the intake c) heads (different on cars than trucks) and d) tune
Old 08-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #17
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Qwishbi Shez
...they need to use 4v engines in everything. this 2 and 3 valve stuff just doesn't stack up to competition. a 4v I4, 4v V6 and 4v V8 (across all models, not just mustang) would be cheaper in the long run to produce than having a dozen different blocks in everything becuz the only thing that would change would be the crank and intakes. everything else could be swappable

that's what nissan is doing. they use the same v6 block in the altima, maxima, frontier, pathfinder, xterra, murano, 350z and quest.. the only things that change between models is a) the crank (3.5 for cars or 4.0 for trucks) b) the intake c) heads (different on cars than trucks) and d) tune
I thought that is what Ford was doing when they announced the modular line in the first place,
but it was just really a faster/easier way of making a still dizzying array of blocks and config's
like they have done since the old days. I'd rather see like 1 engine family with a wide interchange
of hard parts like cranks and rods so as to (in Nissan's case) Use a stroker truck crank in the best
block and use the strongest rods with the best base-flowing heads if these did not come in 1 package.
Kinda like we do with SPI strokers, but having more good factory choices for parts.

Ford's MODULARITY simply means faster/easier re-tooling of block casting methods,
they for example make V10's with the same basic tooling as the 4.6 mods... there are some
other advantages, but few of them really filter down to us the real hot-rodders.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT