Should the 2009 Mustang be Super or Turboed factory? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:34 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Re: Should the 2009 Mustang be Super or Turboed factory?

Why not bring back an svo style mustang.
Some of the ricers have an enormous amount of power out of a four-banger, and they still achieve some level of economy.

Put a 4 cylinder turbo car out, and let it be about the same cost as a 6r.
Give some people out there who can't afford the insurance on a V8 a high performance car that can be driven for a reasonable amount of money.

Just as a personal note: I don't own a four cylinder vehicle.
But with gas prices like they are, why not think about the road ahead.
andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude View Post
you guys should check out the FPV Boss 290 the austrailians have.

5.4L 4v, 6spd, 390hp.

just shows that ford CAN do it, and can make the same amount of power without forced induction.

mays issue of MM&FF has a little diddy on it. pretty sweet, though its 55k after you pay to get it registered, smog legalized n crap for use in the states.
Did we all forget about the Cobra R? F**k the austrailians, we had that 5.4 N/A motor here in the U.S in 2000. Yea it was pricey and produced as a collectors race car, but Ford did build it and didn't leave it in a crate. They put in in 300 cars. So they can do it and the price would have dropped had they been sold in numbers and without the beefed up suspention etc. Ford can build a high hp N/A engine, but power isn't everything to THAT company. It maybe everything to us, but not to corprate ties and thousands of employees. $$ is king in the production car game. Weather high or low priced, money is the motivation and is king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane- View Post
wiarumas: I highly doubt they will to. They tried that with the SVO and noone bought it, granted it was a 4cyl though.
Don't forget that Roush created a 1989 5.8L 351 Twin Turbo Fox as an offer to Ford as their 20th Anniversary car. Ford declined to produce it due to it's high hp rating. Ford said it would be unresponsible for them to offer a 350hp TT mustang to the public. "$" I think. Anyways, times have changed and so has Fords Mustang Bank and a Turbo Stang would be nice as a 2 year car like the 03/04, Ford GT, and GT500. But not likly. Doubt it will ever happen, but I would rather see a Turbo Stang in production than a Blown stang imo. We would reverse the game on the 2008 Supra which will have a 5.0L 400hp V8! n/a engine. This time we'll have the turbo and they'll have the n/a car.
97mustang82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mustang82 View Post
We would reverse the game on the 2008 Supra which will have a 5.0L 400hp V8! n/a engine. This time we'll have the turbo and they'll have the n/a car.
Damn right.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #39

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mustang82 View Post
Did we all forget about the Cobra R? F**k the austrailians, we had that 5.4 N/A motor here in the U.S in 2000. Yea it was pricey and produced as a collectors race car, but Ford did build it and didn't leave it in a crate. They put in in 300 cars. So they can do it and the price would have dropped had they been sold in numbers and without the beefed up suspention etc. Ford can build a high hp N/A engine, but power isn't everything to THAT company. It maybe everything to us, but not to corprate ties and thousands of employees. $$ is king in the production car game. Weather high or low priced, money is the motivation and is king.

Don't forget that Roush created a 1989 5.8L 351 Twin Turbo Fox as an offer to Ford as their 20th Anniversary car. Ford declined to produce it due to it's high hp rating. Ford said it would be unresponsible for them to offer a 350hp TT mustang to the public. "$" I think. Anyways, times have changed and so has Fords Mustang Bank and a Turbo Stang would be nice as a 2 year car like the 03/04, Ford GT, and GT500. But not likly. Doubt it will ever happen, but I would rather see a Turbo Stang in production than a Blown stang imo. We would reverse the game on the 2008 Supra which will have a 5.0L 400hp V8! n/a engine. This time we'll have the turbo and they'll have the n/a car.
I was wondering when someone was going to mention this oversite about the 00 Cobra R's 5.4 L. 385 h.p/385 ft lbs from 330 c.i.d. is equivalent to the 01- Z06- 346 c.i.d. LS6 output. Just imagine what could've been accomplished if the development continued with vvt and other technologies available now!!!??!! A 4 cyl turbo is out of the question for the current/future body styles due to weight, and even if the weight is reduced slightly each year the mustang gains options and ammenites(SP)not available previously.
I have some opinions about Ford using forced induction to better or equal the competition but to sum it up,GM decided to increase displacement with the LS series engines and continues to do so. This practice will tapper off soon with fuel prices increasing and more stringent emissions. The next super vette is going to be a 6-plus liter s/c according to rumors, so even they realize the potential in superchargers/turbo's JMO.
BLUE OVAL TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #40

Region: New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to hackyzach

ok, so i read all of this and have several (personal) opinions on this. First of all, sure it would be cool to see some stock super charged mustangs. I think that thats half the fun though, modding i mean. You get to take control of what your car becomes, and get to shape/tune it the way you like. I have a V6, im planning to put ~$8K into it (which will do more than you might think). Now there are alot of mustangs in town, among wich are many GT's and a Cobra or two. The GT's and cobras around here like to put down the ol' 6'r and talk crap, it would just be the greatest feeling to blast their asses and know that it was you that did the work, not just some car you bought right off the lot. Also, yes ford will use super charges (if they ues either that is), its a general rule of thumb, V6 or less = turbo, V8 or more is super charger territory. The V6's and 4 bangers dont typically have the power required to turn the supercharger and get a worth while amount of boost from it. SO... they use a turbo or two. The more muscle-y cars are fine to super charge with their V8's and (dodge viper) V10's. Mustang being a muscle car in history would naturally go super charger. I happen to like turbos, but they are harder and require more stuff, plain and simple (not to mention take up more room). Therefore the stock V6's like mine, will most likely be left that, stock. Who knows, maybe the V8 models will super charge, but like several people have said, it's all about the market. It seems too that any stock turboed cars are all foreign, porsche, audi, VW, mazda, mitsubishi (idk how to spell that), so yeah, it almost seems to be a (large) regional thing, US likes big motors and super charges, oriental manufacturers like V6's and 4 bangers and will turbo. Europeans just seem to like fast, and i guess so far thats meant turbo, perhaps that will change.
hackyzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #41

Region: California

G.M. has been S/C for awhile, pontiac bonneville, that new two seater from pontiac, the cobalt the grand am, hell even saturn has a S/C model. They even turbo'd back in the 80's and 90's. The LS2 motor is no longer 350 ci, it is now a 6.0 liter 400 HP and the Z06 is a whopping 427 505 HP.
Fords big V-8 is back in the design and development mode. I see lots of good things coming fairly soon.
V-6- 250+HP
v-8 n/a- 400 HP
V-8 S/C- 500+ HP.
2814v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #42

Region: Ohio

Screw the blower, screw the turbos, how about taking the upcoming hurricane motor and punching it out to say, 427, 428 or 429 cubic inches, put some wicked heads and a high rise, METAL intake(porting), 90-100mm throttle body, 11:1 pistons, factory headers, 3inch exhaust w/x-pipe, a cam with .600-.625 lift and around .240 duration.
Not everyone wants forced induction, and even the ones that do, don't want to have the choice taken out of their hands from the factory.
BONESAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Why not bring back an svo style mustang.
Some of the ricers have an enormous amount of power out of a four-banger, and they still achieve some level of economy.

Put a 4 cylinder turbo car out, and let it be about the same cost as a 6r.
Give some people out there who can't afford the insurance on a V8 a high performance car that can be driven for a reasonable amount of money.

Just as a personal note: I don't own a four cylinder vehicle.
But with gas prices like they are, why not think about the road ahead.

the new vettes are 400+ HP and get 32 miles per gallon.. smaller isn't always better, if thats what I wanted i'd gone japanesse long ago.

the cobra or shelby models whatever you wanna call them will remain super... its the best platform any manufacturer of "muscle cars" has on the market.. beat out the government restrictions on what is a production car, stay under the radar of insurance bozo's and leave the enthusiest with nothing more than a chip and a pully to get to 500+WHP

No Brainer

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I know this is well past when this thread was created however since its back to the top anyhow..

As for boosted V8s.. leave that to the shelby/SVT/ what have you..

but IMO there should be a model like the 80s SVO.. turbo the 6 banger.. make it slightly faster than the GT model stock, upgrade the suspension, wheels, model specific trim/interior.. and price it around or a little above a loaded GT... I think it'd sell pretty well
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

a supercharger would be the best with fords whipple you get 500 hp or get it tuned up with a 50 stroker with the whipple supercharger to put out more than 800 hp
cobraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to retrorider Send a message via Yahoo to retrorider

well if ford was to put a stang in the showroom in 2009 that will whip out 800 horses and run sideways down the road and not run 50k i'd enjoy it haha I'm not saying ford should load the underhood area with so much power you're running like a Vette or Viper, but I want it to run and tear up on the 4 door charger and still have the v6 that will out run a non hemi charger or magnum no problem. I can't stand imports pulling up beside a dang import and hearing the fart can rumble and they think they can out run a stang.. haha if both my stangs weren't in the shop i'd so race this dang focus that i'm borrowing..

Head on collision plus 2005 mustang and 30 mph = totalled
40 years of life and a 1968 mustang coupe = lots of rust
in 2 years the 1968 will run down the road with a 351M under the hood and eat a damn honda and spit it out the side pipes..
Old 10-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #47

Region: Texas

Hey Man, I take exception to the quote that old people just buy Mustangs to entice young ladies. If I want to entice a young lady all I have to do is lick my forehead or push a bowling ball up the stairs with my tongue. I bought my Mustang to drive and race and I do both as much as I can. Of course I admit to my blood pressure getting too high when the Mustang exceeds 140mph but that doesn't happen too often. HAHAHAHAHA!

Snake 42
Snake 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to retrorider Send a message via Yahoo to retrorider

haha amen brother haha preach that haha buying the mustang to entice the ladies, and make your blood pressure rise. I am currently rebuilding a 1968 mustang with a 351M motor, it's gonna be great but how awesome would that be to see a 2010 mustang roll of the lot with so much power to whoop some ***?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2009 mustang