Should the 2009 Mustang be Super or Turboed factory? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to retrorider Send a message via Yahoo to retrorider
Should the 2009 Mustang be Super or Turboed factory?

I wanna see them super, or turbo charge the 2009 Ford Mustang. It would help on the gas savings as long as the people that drive them aren't petal to the floor everytime they are driving the car.. The factory turbo or supercharging would probably make it cost more, but I would rather not them go to a completely electric Mustang or something crazy like that.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Should the 2009 Mustang be Super or Turboed factory?

I think I would like to see the base models (V6 and GT) remain as they are with maybe a little bump in HP for the GT and a nice bump for the V6 maybe approaching the old GT numbers of 250ish or so.

Then, come out with special models. One a N/A with either a high output 5.0 or 5.4 pushing 400 hp (Call this the Mach 1 or a new name). Then come out with a mac daddy model with the 5.4 and a super charger. This mack daddy should be called the Boss. This could have an optional high output big displacement (400+ ci) N/A monster. Both the S/C and big displacement should push 500+ hp mark. It should also have very good street manners so it can perform well in both the straight line and not so strait line competitions.

Leave the turbo's for the aftermarket. Also, leave shelby's name off the cars. We don't need to name markup from the factory. Let him make his own to put his name on like Saleen and the like do.

As for saving gas with a super/turbo charger...being the owner of a supercharged 03 Cobra...driving normal is not possible. There are only 2 classes of people that can drive cars like these normally. Those that are 50+ that only bought it because it is a mustang and hope to attract the super young ladies with it. And SpectorV. Those are the only people that can drive them normal.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

as far as the base model V6 and V8 (base model and GT versions) they should stay as they are, they dont need the power adders at this time to sell good. It would only cause more problems and cost more to build the motors to last as well as fix issues that come up. Sure the 05/06's are underpowered compared to many cars out there but.... they are still nice.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

Quote:
Should the 2009 Mustang be Super or Turboed factory?
neither, I want ford to prove they can actually build a higher hp n/a car for once. I mean the 03/04 cobras and the new gt500s are nice an all, but without a poweradder they wouldnt be "that" great. Just go back to good 'ol pushrods and build a damn motor that doesnt like to blow up and sounds good again. I mean...look at gm, they are putting out more power then the 03/04 cobras with the ls series motor without a supercharger...

*puts on flame suit*
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee

4.6 DOHC Mach1 = 305 HP

That is pretty good N/A Modular if you ask me

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to heramb22 Send a message via Yahoo to heramb22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
4.6 DOHC Mach1 = 305 HP

Ummmm..... hate to disagree with you Brent, but.....
350Z
VQ35DEó3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine (M/T models)
300 hp @ 6,400 rpm

hell, the Maxima has 265hp (granted I know the Mach1 kills it in torque, but....

Parts for Sale VERY CHEAP!

SOLD - White Cobra rims, rear GT swaybar, ASP UD pulley, cleared headlights, full-length Densecharger, red calipers, MustangWorld billet grille, true dual exhaust w/ flowmaster 40's, MAC lowering springs (front), raised gas pedal, MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires, GT foglights, Steeda Tri-ax
heramb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane-
neither, I want ford to prove they can actually build a higher hp n/a car for once. I mean the 03/04 cobras and the new gt500s are nice an all, but without a poweradder they wouldnt be "that" great. Just go back to good 'ol pushrods and build a damn motor that doesnt like to blow up and sounds good again. I mean...look at gm, they are putting out more power then the 03/04 cobras with the ls series motor without a supercharger...

*puts on flame suit*
Well, ford has proven they can build high HP N/A engines. Just but a roller and then get one of the many 302 and up crate engines like the 5.0 cammer.

To quote someone I read a post from recently....

I don't care where it comes from, power is power...and I've got it.

Blow me, stroke me, squeeze me...I don't care...just give me power.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

yea the 5.0 cammer is nice an all, but the motor alone is like 15k for a shortblock I think. Im talking factory installed though smurfin, not buy the car then drop in a whole new motor.

Im not saying the mach's and cobras are junk, but with a blower on it, it just doesnt seem to be that respectable.

heramb22 is right though about the 350Z, Friend of mine used to have one and he hit the mid 13's stock with it and he cant drive a clutch to save his ***.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Old 04-18-2006, 01:30 AM   #9
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heramb22
Ummmm..... hate to disagree with you Brent, but.....
350Z
VQ35DEó3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine (M/T models)
300 hp @ 6,400 rpm

hell, the Maxima has 265hp (granted I know the Mach1 kills it in torque, but....
Wow welcome back

Reddit
Old 04-18-2006, 01:54 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
4.6 DOHC Mach1 = 305 HP

pretty weak if you ask me.

ford shouldve stuck with the pushrod and learnt how to make a free flowing tuned 5.0.

chevy has the LS series motors, which i dont know if youve noticed it, are approaching the 500hp mark without a power adder, and theyre still 350 cubes.

ford needs to drop a 5.4l 4v tuned n/a setup into a mustang. a torquey as hell motor that can breathe up top. maybe even go toe to toe, stock for stock against a LS1 and finally come up on top.

as for SC/TC a 09 Stang. Nope. SCing one of the top line models (like SVT or Shelby whatever they go with), but not a fully fledged mass produced vehicle like the v6/GT.

though id like to see some of the austrailian performance lineup hit the states to give chase to the evo/sti that everyone jocks. ford needs something awd that can make them look bad.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:59 AM   #11
Regular

Quote:
chevy has the LS series motors, which i dont know if youve noticed it, are approaching the 500hp mark without a power adder, and theyre still 350 cubes.
I don't know if you notice but the LS series motors, as much as everyone nuts over them, were not enough to keep their TransAm and Camaro in production and competing with Ford.

Quote:
ford needs to drop a 5.4l 4v tuned n/a setup into a mustang. a torquey as hell motor that can breathe up top. maybe even go toe to toe, stock for stock against a LS1 and finally come up on top.
Come out on top of what? HP? Would you rather them sink all that money into a engine and raise the price of the Mustang and end up ending the Mustang line?

Reddit
Old 04-18-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

first off, the Fbody platform died cause they overpriced it for its poor quality. they are badass cars, and if they were 5k cheaper, they would still be around. even though brand new, a fully equipped SS was still 5k-10k cheaper than a fully equipped 03/04, and isnt much slower, take that blower off the cobra, and its just another GT.

then again, they will be, at 400hp come 2007 at the same pricetag a 300hp GT is.

and it shouldnt be that much more expensive to make a 5.4l 4v, all the parts are already used in other cars. you take some 4v heads, slap them on a 5.4 block, tune it and be on your merry way.

and the mustang will never die. if it were to, it wouldlve happened between 74-78. great names never die, they go back to the drawing board to get refined and recreated for another generation in a few years.

besides, now that we have all these american names coming back and most of them having sub 400hp naturally aspirated, makes the gt look slow again. seriously, in a LS* and Hemi world, i wonder why the **** ford insists on keeping with the measly 281? drop in a 5.4l and be back in the game.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:51 AM   #13
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
first off, the Fbody platform died cause they overpriced it for its poor quality. they are badass cars, and if they were 5k cheaper,
But they weren't and there is a reason they werent.

Quote:
they would still be around.
Why were they over priced? GMC just felt like over pricing all their cars and continue to be beat down by Ford every year in sales?

Quote:
even though brand new, a fully equipped SS was still 5k-10k cheaper than a fully equipped 03/04, and isnt much slower, take that blower off the cobra, and its just another GT.
Yet the Cobra > SS in sales. I am failing to understand why Ford is obligated to do anything different with their engines when there is NO COMPETITION.

Don't take the blower off the Cobra, because it is not meant to be off. That engine is 4v DOHC, not a SOHC 2v anyways.

[quote]then again, they will be, at 400hp come 2007 at the same pricetag a 300hp GT is.

Quote:
and it shouldnt be that much more expensive to make a 5.4l 4v, all the parts are already used in other cars. you take some 4v heads, slap them on a 5.4 block, tune it and be on your merry way.
WHY? I personally LOVE the 03/04 Cobras and the blower on them. They sound amazing and are INCREDIBLY easy to modify.

Quote:
and the mustang will never die. if it were to, it wouldlve happened between 74-78. great names never die, they go back to the drawing board to get refined and recreated for another generation in a few years.
Yet another reason that Ford doesnt need to add the biggest engine they can. They sell as they are.

Quote:
besides, now that we have all these american names coming back and most of them having sub 400hp naturally aspirated, makes the gt look slow again. seriously, in a LS* and Hemi world, i wonder why the **** ford insists on keeping with the measly 281? drop in a 5.4l and be back in the game.
How are they out of the game. WTF I AM LOST. They continue to out sell the closet competitor they have now.

Reddit
Old 04-18-2006, 06:25 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
if it was going to die it would of died in 94 when ford was going to replace it with the probe...to many people complained, wondre why
Old 04-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I hear ya on that one, Ford should just learn to build a bad *** engine from the get go. I think Ford would have a run at the Hemi Charger, but The charger has an extra two doors to wiegh it down, so if Dodge had a 2 door hemi charger, Ford and Dodge would have it out for themselves, I love the big v6 its just it has some power to it, but I'd like it to be a little more beefed up coming out of the factory. I guess Ford is afraid they wont get their money for the car if they had it pushing 4-5 hundred horses, and someone takes a curve too fast and ruins the car.. who knows. I just think that since every damn import is cranking superchargers from the factory they might add a grand to the total of the car, and get one on it from start.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

You are all missing the point. The point is profit (sure they may not be the best at it, but thats the point). Ford doesnt have to push the mustang to 400hp to sell it... its selling much better than what GM has to offer. If ford had to push the ford mustang's v8 to 400-500 hp NA to sell it.. they would... but as of yet they simply do not have to. You better believe they have looked into how much better the mustang would sell with X amount of power and its probably not worth the cash it would take to get it there or the extra sticker price to purchase it to do it. I wish they had extra power as well... but they dont and they wont as long as they dont have to.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Hemi world? These are the same "ya got a hemi in that?" trucks that are getting walked by lower hp, lower cube, ford engines? The same Hemi you can find in every line of car just in hopes of selling it?

The fact is, Ford does make high hp engines. Like I stated before, you can buy any of them in crate form. Why are they not in production models? Well, they don't need them. There is no competition. The charger? Give me a brake. That is the biggest waste of a name I have ever seen. Just call it the 300 G or something. You don't see the real power until you get the SRT 8 model anyhow. Same with mustangs. The current GTs and the non SRT 300 G are comparable in power. Then you move to Cobras and SRT 8s. Same concept. Craparos? Current mustang = 320 currently? Craparos were 320 or so werent they? Then you go to the SS's....ok...then you go Cobra's.

Ford does enough to stay in business. If GM can survive long enough to release the craparo again, don't be too surprised to see the mustang get a bit of a bump in HP and/or go on a diet and not need the HP to beat the crapper.

Also, the lower HP from ford also helps sell cars because the insurance is cheaper. That is another thing to think about. If customers can't afford the insurance, they can't buy your ****.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

how about a high hp NA engine with the option of a supercharger?

i doubt that ford will turbo.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

the only mustangs to outrun the catfish's were the mid 80's foxes and 03/04 cobra's, until then it was either the catfish was the winner..or a close drivers race with the n/a cobras and machs against the ls1 cars. I still dont see ford pushing out more then 350hp if they were to put the 5.4 in the mustang. The biggest thing that killed the Fbodies was the price compared to the mustang. Alot of people could probally care less what it is they are driving, they Just wanted a peppy sports car and settled for the mustang since the fbodies were I think atleast around 10k more. Id bet the LS1 Fbodies would still walk away from the 05-06 GT. 300hp in a heavy car, not smart. But im not saying the Fbodies were light haha

If the other pony cars are released that would be great for the industry as a whole, But GM will never have a camaro outshine the vette, so the HP of the camaro most likely wont be that great at the start until the vette gets a makeover with more power.

wiarumas: I highly doubt they will to. They tried that with the SVO and noone bought it, granted it was a 4cyl though.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you could pick up a Z28 for 22k, no where near 10k over what a mustang costs, sure more but not THAT much more. They simply looked ugly, had not been changed since 93, and so forth.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

the trans am's an the SS camaro's were in the upper 30k range I do believe. Prally not 10k no...so i stretched the truth. but they still were alot more then the base GT mustang.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

you guys should check out the FPV Boss 290 the austrailians have.

5.4L 4v, 6spd, 390hp.

just shows that ford CAN do it, and can make the same amount of power without forced induction.

mays issue of MM&FF has a little diddy on it. pretty sweet, though its 55k after you pay to get it registered, smog legalized n **** for use in the states.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I hear ya, but who's going to want to spend the 55k just to get a car with that power with the ford name on it? If ford can figure a way to build a car with the power, then people will buy it. I think it would be the **** to see ford produce a car that can boil the tires right off the line w/o the wearing out the tires to do it. I mean the v6 I own will smoke on some stuff, but I want ford to produce a bad *** mustang and sell it reasonable.. and make it tear up on the GM world!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

Quote:
you guys should check out the FPV Boss 290 the austrailians have.

5.4L 4v, 6spd, 390hp.

just shows that ford CAN do it, and can make the same amount of power without forced induction.

mays issue of MM&FF has a little diddy on it. pretty sweet, though its 55k after you pay to get it registered, smog legalized n **** for use in the states.
i read that article... that thing would give the evo/sti division a run for it's money. i'd buy one if i could afford to import it
Old 04-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

and on topic, i say no... leave super and turbo charging for specialty stangs
Old 04-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

If ford is trying to go towards a more gas conservation way of driving, why not start with the Mustang by slaping on a decent turbo, it'd be alot better on fuel and the people who want the speed and everything could probably find someway of reflashing the turbo to do what they want and later on in life have an eyes view in the side of their block. I think the Turbo or Super Charger would be great on fuel efficency and also give the mustang a little more oomph behind the growl the 2005 Mustang has, but I'm sure the 2009 Mustang will be more of a Concept right?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

That Boss 290 is an amazing looking car, they should do what Pontiac did and just import it and call it a Mustang.

Like the GTO.. :pnoid:
Old 04-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I don't think any company is going to go back to factory turbo cars when superchargers are so easy to install. After having installed a turbo, I can understand why they went to supers.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #29

I'm for Superchargers. Turbos pose too many problems.
Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Like what that supers don't have?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow
I don't think any company is going to go back to factory turbo cars when superchargers are so easy to install. After having installed a turbo, I can understand why they went to supers.
hrm, strange, though i could swear more and more makers are bringing in turbo models to their lineups.

youre talking about installing a turbo on a car not meant for it in the first place. if youve ever installed a bigger/new turbo on a already turbo car, its pretty easy, me and my buddies have it down to an art with the dsm's and their setup(same with the evo's). but doing a non-turbo to turbo install, then yeah, its going to be hard, especially if not everything comes in the kit, then again supercharging a non-sc car isnt an easy task either. but to engineer a car with either a turbo or sc shouldnt require much but planning where everything goes (piping, oil lines, coolant(if applicable), room for turbo, etc) and probably both require the same amount of R&D.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
hrm, strange, though i could swear more and more makers are bringing in turbo models to their lineups.
Like who?

There were actually more in the 80's and early 90's than there are now. Now there's the turbo deisel trucks, the VW's, the Evo, a small hand full of foreign cars, and the Aussie Fords. Have they even decided if the Caliber will have a turbo version? There were MANY more turbo cars in the past because of the fuel minded times when big displacement engines were not popular and turbos were a easy way to get a performance car that still got decent gas milage.
How many supercharged cars were there in that time? Any? Now pretty much everything from a factory is super'd with the exceptions listed above, most of which have been around for years.

Factories will start going exclusively to supercharges because in most applications everything is easier to service. Just do a search for a poweradder for the average NA car and most of the results will be supercharger kits.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:42 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

like who?

umm, lets see.

dodge created the SRT4 and priced it well under both the STI/WRX and EVO, and sold like hotcakes.

Mazda is releasing the Mazdaspeed6, a 2.3L AWD turbo powertrain, they also have the mazdaspeed miata and the mazdaspeed RX7.

Austrailian Ford has a few turbo cars in their lineups that, if i was running ford, would be over here competing with the likes of evo/sti and srt4. id have a fwd version with a larger turbo geared for longer spool(great for fwd since the power doesnt come till around 4k), and a awd version that had a bit smaller turbo(much like the twin scroll 16g from a evo) that had alot of power off the bat for badass awd launching.

and who supercharges their cars. i think ford does to make up for their lack of displacement, i have yet to see a factory-supercharged chevy or dodge. oh some mercedes have sc's. aside from that, i cant think of many factory sc'ed cars other than ford.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
like who?

umm, lets see.

dodge created the SRT4 and priced it well under both the STI/WRX and EVO, and sold like hotcakes.

Mazda is releasing the Mazdaspeed6, a 2.3L AWD turbo powertrain, they also have the mazdaspeed miata and the mazdaspeed RX7.

Austrailian Ford has a few turbo cars in their lineups that, if i was running ford, would be over here competing with the likes of evo/sti and srt4. id have a fwd version with a larger turbo geared for longer spool(great for fwd since the power doesnt come till around 4k), and a awd version that had a bit smaller turbo(much like the twin scroll 16g from a evo) that had alot of power off the bat for badass awd launching.

and who supercharges their cars. i think ford does to make up for their lack of displacement, i have yet to see a factory-supercharged chevy or dodge. oh some mercedes have sc's. aside from that, i cant think of many factory sc'ed cars other than ford.
Uh...I listed almost every single car you just mentioned above and then some.

BTW, the only reason the Neon sold so well is because Dodge jumped on the bandwagon too late and the AWD Eclipse was gone. Given the chioce, I would much rather have a AWD turbo Eclipse rather than a piece like a neon.

Chevy does have a sc'd car, the Cobalt SS, which means that since Chevy hasn't done anything like that in the past, if they do anything in the future, it will be Supercharged because they've already done the research. You've got Chevy, Ford, Mercedes, Cadillac, Buick, BMW, Mini Cooper, Scion will be, Pontiac, shall I go on, all have supercharged factory cars. My point is all the new FI cars are going to superchargers, I don't think that is disputable.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

so guys i started this thread... gosh a little while ago. I know I'd like to see Ford Turbo, or supercharge the Mustang, so that it will save gas and also have some more power. I know ford probably wont put out a production that will smoke the hell out of a set of tires right off the line, but who knows. I still think the 2009 Mustang ought to be turboed or supercharged!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2009 mustang