Mod Advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #1

Mod Advice?

Got a new '10 GT a few months ago and since then Ive been saving up money to increase the power in it. I work with a guy who has a wrx running like 500 whp on pump fuel and is very knowledgeable and is teaching me a lot about cars. Anyways he's been consulting me about modding the mustang and he seems to have a few suggustions and I ask you all to please verify them.

1) First performance mod should be gears- I have 3.55s now and I ask are 4.10s too much for a DD, what are most people doing to their '10 GTs? Do I have to stick with Ford Racing gears or could I do something like Motive 4.10s to save some money. Also it suggusts a master bearing kit for the gears but will i damage my car if i dont buy the master bearing kit since my car only has 2000 miles on it?

2) You need to brace a car before you can race it- Ultimately I want my car to be a beast on the track not just on dynos but I am completely in the dark about what bracing I NEED.

3) CAI?- Is the Steeda combo CAI (Steeda Mustang Cold Air Intake and SCT SF3 Custom Tuner Combo (2010 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!) a quality upgrade?

4) I need new brakes- Is it just me or does anybody else feel brakes make cars go slower? haha, for over 2 thousand dollars how important are these to the overall of my car?

5) Exhaust- This is another area I am clueless, what is the bang for the buck factor of upgrading exhaust and also what are some good kits for the '10 that people have liked?

6) Tires- When I got researched the mustang and saw it came with p-zeros i thought that would be more than enough but my boss says otherwise, how important is upgrading the tires to my mustangs performance?

7) Superchargers and the dreaded warranty- My last step in modding will hopefully be a supercharger and I have been instructed to ONLY go with roush specifically a m90 kit so i dont blow my motor. Is this the best way to go? about the warranty; how much can I get away with In performance upgrades before I start to compromise the majority of the coverage.

I realize this is a loooooong post but I am very interested in learning more about my cars potential. Feel free to just answer a section of the post. Thanks alot for your time and hope to hear back from you all.
-Blake
StangNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Mod Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangNewbie View Post
Got a new '10 GT a few months ago and since then Ive been saving up money to increase the power in it. I work with a guy who has a wrx running like 500 whp on pump fuel and is very knowledgeable and is teaching me a lot about cars. Anyways he's been consulting me about modding the mustang and he seems to have a few suggustions and I ask you all to please verify them.

1) First performance mod should be gears- I have 3.55s now and I ask are 4.10s too much for a DD, what are most people doing to their '10 GTs? Do I have to stick with Ford Racing gears or could I do something like Motive 4.10s to save some money. Also it suggusts a master bearing kit for the gears but will i damage my car if i dont buy the master bearing kit since my car only has 2000 miles on it?
IMO 4.10s won't be too much for a DD, esp given the higher RPM nature of the 3v, I went with 3.73s as I plan on running boost before long..

I would say definitely stay with FRPP gears, I've had a friend try several sets of Motive before going back to FRPP for noise issues

I would say with 2k miles.. leave it up to the installer to decide whether any of the bearings need replacing, the gears themselves come with shim kits/etc..

Quote:
2) You need to brace a car before you can race it- Ultimately I want my car to be a beast on the track not just on dynos but I am completely in the dark about what bracing I NEED.
What do you mean by bracing? Suspension? Reinforcements? The 2010 GT is pretty damn solid and honstly the stock suspension is fine for drag racing at first, esp with RWD you want a bit of weight transfer to the rear wheels off the line.. A set of sticky tires would work wonders for racing..

Also would you be road racing or just straight line?

Quote:
I am going to let someone else comment on this, I've got no experience with 2005+ stangs in this area

Quote:
4) I need new brakes- Is it just me or does anybody else feel brakes make cars go slower? haha, for over 2 thousand dollars how important are these to the overall of my car?
Brakes make the car go slower when you want to, using the pedal! shouldn't affect the performance of the car unless the rotors are ungodly heavy..

If you won't be road racing, what's wrong with the stock brakes? they're pretty decent.. A better set of pads would go a long way, too

Quote:
5) Exhaust- This is another area I am clueless, what is the bang for the buck factor of upgrading exhaust and also what are some good kits for the '10 that people have liked?
Again, can't help out with this one...

Quote:
6) Tires- When I got researched the mustang and saw it came with p-zeros i thought that would be more than enough but my boss says otherwise, how important is upgrading the tires to my mustangs performance?
Your boss sounds like he's into some pretty hardcore racing and such.. What are your goals with the car? How do they feel to you now? Unless you plan on taking hairpin mountain pass curves at crazy high speeds, road race the car/etc P-Zeros aren't terrible tires, of course I don't know your driving habit/etc.. Have you even found the limits of your car in a corner yet?

Quote:
7) Superchargers and the dreaded warranty- My last step in modding will hopefully be a supercharger and I have been instructed to ONLY go with roush specifically a m90 kit so i dont blow my motor. Is this the best way to go? about the warranty; how much can I get away with In performance upgrades before I start to compromise the majority of the coverage.
SC will definitely affect the dreaded warranty - Roush is not the ONLY way to go - and M90 kit is more likely to blow your motor than some other options - M90s are HEAT BOXES (I've used one for 4+ years on my buick, I had to add an intercooler to keep detonation down, even then I couldn't run as much boost as I'd like) Twin screw (whipple/kenne bell) would be great for torque, vortech/procharger etc are also worthy - Why the m90 roush blower is the only one you should go with is beyond me..

And I also don't believe that unless your car came with the Roush unit from the factory, that it wouldn't void your warranty as with the above options..

One note on warranty is, unless they can prove a part failure was due specifically to an aftermarket modification you'd made, they have to honor the warranty
Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #3

I want the car to be able to take corners putting all the power it can to the ground not just strait lines so road racing I guess is what Im building it for. Suspension and reinforcements. my boss suggested coil-overs but for reinforcements I dont know what is useful and what is a waste.

As for tires, any suggestions? my boss said look into the ones that were on the Ford GT but they are like 550 a tire? I havent spun it out around a turn but it isnt very sure footed at like 35mph around a sharp turn. I can feel it slipping if I try to accelerate going into a hard turn.

My goals for the car are to make it track worthy and have around 400 rwhp while keeping it a daily driver and not blowing the motor if at all possible.

My boss races his WRX and he co owns Brainchild Customs, his small parts company.

He said whipple and procharger and vortech are all powercrazy and that the engine block cant stand that much power for a substantial time so I should go with a conservative tune and that roush is a giant company with lots of R&D and that they just make better products that last the longest and thats why they have the best warranties. but I guess you are disagreeing? What makes whipple a more reliable SC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the front is already using coil overs fyi. If you plan to autox it have a spare set of rims/tires just for that as the good tires will wear out daily driving in no time.

whipple/vortech/etc all work fine up to around 450rwhp, thats about the safe limit on that car~ autox'ing a supercharged car though.. I wouldnt if that was my main goal with the car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

As far as the M90 Roushcharger goes it is good for 380 plus to the rear wheels but that is about it unless you go with the 2.57 pulley. The smaller pulley take the supercharger out of it's efficiency range. I have the M90 from Roush it comes with the intercooler and everything needed. Good kit and it keeps your warranty that's why I went that route myself, 34250 daily driving miles now running strong.

SOLD:2008 GT, ROUSH M90, ROUSH CAI, FORD HOTROD CAM, KOOKS LT, CATTED X PIPE, ROUSH RESONATOR EXHAUST, 2.57 PULLEY, STEEDA COWL HOOD, CALIFORNIA SPECIAL FASCIA, ROUSH REAR DECK SPOILER, 427.6WHP, 395.2 RWTQ
BIGRED3361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #6

Does anyone have suggustions on CAI kits?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

All CAI's do the same thing if you think about it, so even if you go with the cheapest one, it's going to do the same thing as the most expensive one. Just because it's a K&N isn't going to give you anymore rwhp. Although the sticker might.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
All CAI's do the same thing if you think about it, so even if you go with the cheapest one, it's going to do the same thing as the most expensive one. Just because it's a K&N isn't going to give you anymore rwhp. Although the sticker might.
I'm gonna have to disagree with that but I would say you are on the right path by asking questions on the forums. Just do a lot of research and reading before you make up your mind. Cai and tune is a good place to start and of course a axel back set up for some nice sound.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Wink Re: Mod Advice?

My .02 worth.....

Gears: Go 4:10 and stick with Ford Racing. I've heard very few people regret going with 4:10 with the 3v. If your going to boost it, you could go with a lower gear, but 4:10 will work fine with boost as well (just have to have a light foot in 1st gear)

Bracing: Yes, you can always improve bracing, but as mentioned above, the 10 are pretty stiff and I would spend my money on other components first. You won't see as dramatic of a change with bracing as you would on say a fox-body.

CAI: There are 2 types of CAI. Those that require a tune and those that do not. Do not waste your money or time on a CAI that does not require a tune. The reason for a tune is that the computer on the 05+ cars are much more tightly regulated than on previous generation Mustangs. They simply will not accept (safely) a better flowing CAI without retuning the computer. Therefore, if the CAI does not require a tune, it is really not doing much more than stock (or worse is letting your engine run lean). A tune will also improve your throttle response (drive-by-wire) and a host of other changes (speedometer correction for example).

For tuner-CAIs, there is not a lot of difference. Steeda, C&L, JLM are all good brands. Get a quality tuner. 2 that come to mind are Breenspeed and Bamachips. Bamachips has just recently joined with AM, so I beleive the tunes you get from them are Bamachip tunes.

Brakes: Well, the faster you get on the track, the more you hate your brakes. If your an occasional auto-x/track runner, then upgrade the lines and pads. After that, the sky is the limit. Why upgrade brakes over more HP? Better brakes will allow you to go into the corners deeper. Better brakes will allow you to run more than 2-3 hard laps without brake fade.

A couple of items you did not mention and to consider. Shocks/struts, springs, CC plates, adj Panhard bar. Why suspension? It is going to allow you to be flatter and more predictable in the corners. That combined with improved brakes will allow you to enter and exit the corner faster. Exiting the corner with a higher speed will allow you to get a higher speed on the straight-away.

Exhaust: If your not wanting to get LT, then just upgrade the axle-back mufflers. They are the real bottleneck in the exhaust system.

Tires: Pretty well covered above.

Superchargers: I am not an expert on SC. Have you looked into the Ford Racing roots? I think that can be installed and retain factory warranty. I do know a little about Prochargers and the stock engine will take something like a P1SC fine. Good for street and auto-x, but if your going on the bigger tracks, be prepared for heat-soak issues.

Not to take anything away from HP improvements, but I've seen many times where a lesser horsepower car with better brakes and suspension out-run/turn better lap times than higher HP cars on a road/auto-x course.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah I'd have to agree and say basics like exhaust and CAI's are more effective on the 05+ cars and certain brands are better than another. For the 99-04 v6's and GT's, an American Muscle CAI is really going to do about the same thing as a more expensive K&N CAI, some better throttle response and a few hp's.

But as John from NQS said, the 05+'s are more sensitive to slight changes such as the a/f ratio being altered by a CAI. That's why CAI's that require tunes are the only ones worth buying. Running an aftermarket CAI without a tune risks the chance of running lean which leads to detonation and could damage your engine.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Check out this article on CAI's Then make up your mind which to go with.

Cold Air Intake Comparisons - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Check out this article on CAI's Then make up your mind which to go with.

Cold Air Intake Comparisons - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
Nice article. There was more of a variance than I thought between CAIs. I've always focused on the C&L/JLM ones though and they seem pretty close. I'd like to see a AFM reading on some of the higher rated non-tuned CAIs before I bolted them on. If you can truly get a safe 18-20hp gain without a tune, that is a pretty good deal. The Anderson one does intrigue me. Might have to get that and dyno it to see. We've also got a Procharger car..would be interested to see if it gains as much HP as claimed.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT