'09 suggestions from a jaded Mustang owner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
rtz

Region: Oklahoma
'09 suggestions from a jaded Mustang owner

Lightweight and aerodynamic. Low cost, or at least reasonable.

Here's the thing that burns me up the most about new cars: The "standard equipment list"!

I'd put my own aftermarket wheels on it so I'd like to get it with the cheapest steel wheels you've got. I don't want any head unit or speakers installed(I'll install my own). I don't want air conditioning, power brakes, power steering, electric windows, or a heater. Nor do I want ~15 air bags in it.

Car should cost about ~$12,000 right?

Also, weld the axle tubes to the differential housing, and I don't want that mickey mouse drive shaft that's in it now. And why that funky 5 speed instead of just an off the shelf TKO 600? How about sub frame connectors?

I read your new 3 valve block is only good for ~500 hp before it fails? Just put that 'ol 302 sportsman block in it or go with a push rod 351. I don't need or want that monstrosity mod motor. How is that motor from hell cheaper to produce then the old style block? No way those 2 and 4 cam cylinder heads and giant dual timing chain assembly is low cost..

Just go aftermarket and you won't have to make that stuff. Dart Block(or World), Edelbrock heads and intake, Comp Cam,MegaSquirt... We'll take it from there.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: '09 suggestions from a jaded Mustang owner

Uhh... buy a fox?

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

The car you suggest would be for less than 2% of the mustang buying public. So there is no money in it. The average american does not buy and new car and mod it. Only 2% mod new cars. Now when a car reaches 5 years old then modding jumps to a big whopping 4%. So no matter what, if they built a bunch of these they would just sit. I know I would not buy a new car that did not come with air conditioning, power brakes, power steering or a heater.

As a matter of fact all cars have a heaters even 50 years ago. I dont think any cars come without power steering either unless it is a utility truck

However I understand what you are saying I was looking a LCD tv's and was looking for one that did not have speakers on it. You uses the TV's speakers. Everyone I know uses a Surround Receiver or Amp and much better speakers than what come on the TV.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

They have MANY regulations they have to meet just to be capable of selling the car to the public. Most of the extra options of course could be left out and I think it would be neat to have a new GTS package mustang... just the very basic options. Most dont want this as nearly every mustang owner will not mod their car at all~ so they want to buy what they want to start with. I dont think it would be much more trouble to ditch a few add on items as you stated but... they wont go out of their way to do so. They are going to be heavy though....
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Uhh... buy a fox?
LOL. No doubt!

Now, I do agree with the option of the wheels, sound system and A/C.... and I'll even add to that list with the option of not having a spoiler, but as Danger says, I don't know of one person who would buy a car without power brakes and no heater - seriously, how many people do you know who would buy this car? As for steering, I'm sure that many could live with a rack and pinion system again, but one thing that you don't realize is that it costs them to keep all of the options in stock as well, so by limiting their options to certain things helps to reduce their costs.

I think SpectorV's on the right path with the GTS model

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
a car without power brakes and no heater - seriously, how many people do you know who would buy this car?
There are many highly populated areas in the US that have warm climates and a heater is not needed there. Why be forced to have it if you don't need it?

These Cobra kits use the Fox brakes and are manual. With the pedal arm re drilled so the leverage is proper, the brakes feel fine.

Factory Five Racing - World's Best Selling Replicas

Quote:
As for steering, I'm sure that many could live with a rack and pinion system again, but one thing that you don't realize is that it costs them to keep all of the options in stock as well, so by limiting their options to certain things helps to reduce their costs.
I was just thinking about how for example, Flaming River offers both a power and manual rack. My car used to be power, and now it's manual with just a rack swap. I wouldn't have it any other way. No noisy, nasty, power eating pump.. A noticeable hp increase after it was removed. A bare bones engine compartment is NICE to work on. My Dad's '88 is 100% stock and I hate working on that thing.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtz View Post
There are many highly populated areas in the US that have warm climates and a heater is not needed there. Why be forced to have it if you don't need it?

These Cobra kits use the Fox brakes and are manual. With the pedal arm re drilled so the leverage is proper, the brakes feel fine.

Factory Five Racing - World's Best Selling Replicas

I was just thinking about how for example, Flaming River offers both a power and manual rack. My car used to be power, and now it's manual with just a rack swap. I wouldn't have it any other way. No noisy, nasty, power eating pump.. A noticeable hp increase after it was removed. A bare bones engine compartment is NICE to work on. My Dad's '88 is 100% stock and I hate working on that thing.
Without at least a fan and a heater you would need plenty of towels to get ride of dew, fog, on the windshield. This would be rather annoying and dangerous. The heater uses the water form the engine cooling it is relatively cost free and would not give you any more HP if deleted
Old 07-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I use to say the same thing about getting rid of the A/C when I was a Honda boy. I would always ride around with the windows down. With my Mustang you can't tell much a difference with the air on or off. I'm not saying the A/C doesn't sap some power, but living in the south east I think I'll keep my A/C.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
rtz

Not having the AC/heater is more about not having all the hoses, etc. under the hood to me.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtz View Post
Not having the AC/heater is more about not having all the hoses, etc. under the hood to me.

Name me one car in the last 50 years that did not have a heater???
Old 07-23-2006, 01:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i like my A/C but thats just me

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

dont think you'd sell many non A/C cars here in Las Vegas . I even put the factory air back in my 70 .Black vinyl seats are brutal in 110 degree heat !
gasman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
Name me one car in the last 50 years that did not have a heater???
Original design VW Beetle.... and those were made all the way up to the early 90's

As for A/C, I actually get congested when the A/C is on in a vehicle... doesn't matter what vehicle, and I have yet to buy a vehicle with it. I'm sure the truck I buy this fall will have A/C just to help re-sale value later on, but whether or not it works, I really couldn't care less.

I've got T-tops in my Stang, so that's my cooling method of choice. I've always been a fan of putting the windows down anyway.

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
I've got T-tops in my Stang, so that's my cooling method of choice. I've always been a fan of putting the windows down anyway.
Yeah, but you're from another galaxy (i.e. Canada). It actually gets warm (i.e. really frickin' hot) down here.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Original design VW Beetle.... and those were made all the way up to the early 90's.

OMG you are full of crapola. The VW does not have a heater off of the coolant system but it does have a heater that is also used on aircraft. It takes heat off the exhaust manifold. There is a box on top of the manifold that has a duct to the outside air when you open the valve using the handle next to the parking brake it allows air to pass thru the manifold box and into the car. by adjusting the handle you regulate the heat to cold air.

So you are the lose!!!!! Next anyone??? anyone at all???

Nope I think not

As for not having A/C if I lived in Edmondton, Canada I might not have A/C either!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Yeah, but you're from another galaxy (i.e. Canada). It actually gets warm (i.e. really frickin' hot) down here.
Hmmmm.... these 30-35*C (86-95*F) that we get ever year must not count, eh? (that's right, I said "eh"!)

I know they're not the 100+*F that the southern States sees on occasion, but we've been hotter than Miami, Houston and Pheonix on more than a handful of occasions this summer so far, and this usually happens every year as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
OMG you are full of crapola. The VW does not have a heater off of the coolant system but it does have a heater that is also used on aircraft. It takes heat off the exhaust manifold. There is a box on top of the manifold that has a duct to the outside air when you open the valve using the handle next to the parking brake it allows air to pass thru the manifold box and into the car. by adjusting the handle you regulate the heat to cold air.

So you are the lose!!!!! Next anyone??? anyone at all???

Nope I think not
True enough. But you asked if a car has ever been made without a heater, and technically it doesn't..... You're just bringing hot air from the engine bay, which in reality, any car ever made could do without a heater core. Correct?

So I'm claiming a win via techincality.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Hmmmm.... these 30-35*C (86-95*F) that we get ever year must not count, eh? (that's right, I said "eh"!)

I know they're not the 100+*F that the southern States sees on occasion, but we've been hotter than Miami, Houston and Pheonix on more than a handful of occasions this summer so far, and this usually happens every year as well

True enough. But you asked if a car has ever been made without a heater, and technically it doesn't..... You're just bringing hot air from the engine bay, which in reality, any car ever made could do without a heater core. Correct?

So I'm claiming a win via techincality.
Technically you are grasping at straws. There was never any mention of it having to be a coolant heater. Just a heater. All air cooled engines have radiant box heater. The fact is Porsche and VW are built in Germany and they would never have a car without a heater. I was stationed in Germany and it gets damn cold there.

So technically you are claiming nothing. You are a noodleheaded cannuck.

A heater is a heater and there is no weight savings with a radiant heat box

You lose Next!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I never said anything about a coolant-based heater - I just used that as a reference because if your modern day car for example didn't have a heater core, and just piped heat in from the engine bay, that's still not an actual "heater". Correct? Go look in the maintenance manual for an old Beetle and tell me how you fix the heater if it were to go. You can't because there's nothing to fix. There's no real "heating system".

I'm also now reminded of the marketing campaigns made by VW when the new Beetles were made: "Now comes with new features..... like heat!"

Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I never said anything about a coolant-based heater - I just used that as a reference because if your modern day car for example didn't have a heater core, and just piped heat in from the engine bay, that's still not an actual "heater". Correct? Go look in the maintenance manual for an old Beetle and tell me how you fix the heater if it were to go. You can't because there's nothing to fix. There's no real "heating system".

I'm also now reminded of the marketing campaigns made by VW when the new Beetles were made: "Now comes with new features..... like heat!"
Actually the new feature was A/C in general they always had heat.

Again you grap at straws to bend the truth. There was a heater system. Airplanes dont have a heater core they take heat right off the exhaust manifold. Heat is Heat just because you want to be right when you are wrong mean crap to me. VW calls it a heater so it is a heater. I looked up parts and found the hearter box, ducts, heater valve all can be rebuilt, bought or maintenanced. You are in denial and to knuckleheaded to admit you are wrong.

Next
Old 08-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Anyway, I was just talking to a friend who's owned 4 in the past. This is what he had to say to me:

Quote:
No you are wrong. VW's had a heater. It was a Kerosene unit that went under the front bonnet and it would blow the hot air into the cab.

They are really rare and I used to have on in one of my beetles.
I had a '55, two '56's and a '59
So ok, I bow out on this one. Kudos to you Dude. I've never heard of this kerosene setup in my life - all I know is that I used to help my neighbor screw with his '61 and '65 and other than a fan that one of the previous owners had to hack in, it literally had no heating system. So what I was saying was based on my own experiences.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
: Anyway, I was just talking to a friend who's owned 4 in the past. This is what he had to say to me:

So ok, I bow out on this one. Kudos to you Dude. I've never heard of this kerosene setup in my life - all I know is that I used to help my neighbor screw with his '61 and '65 and other than a fan that one of the previous owners had to hack in, it literally had no heating system. So what I was saying was based on my own experiences.
I didn't mention the kerosene unit because it was a optional add. and not stock on every one
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Inside Line: Ariel Atom: Honda-Powered Road-Legal Racecar -

"here's no heater, stereo, carpet or any of the other luxury nonsense."

Na, I'm just bugging you man. I know you meant a real production car. LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT