What octane are you running in your GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

View Poll Results: Fuel Choice
87 5 25.00%
91 7 35.00%
93 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
What octane are you running in your GT?

Hey guys I was just wondering what octane are you running in your gt. I just bought a 2010 gt a couple a weeks ago. Ive been running 87 but should I do 91 or 93 and will it help performance and mileage? Thanks in advance here are some pics on my new baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00330.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	725.0 KB
ID:	22072   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00331.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	22073  

SilverMDStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: What octane are you running in your GT?

Nice ride, I've got an 07' GT and it takes 87, I've heard that I can put in a higher grade, but only once in a while. If I wanted to keep putting in a higher octane, then I would have to widen or shorten the gap on the spark plugs in order for the car to run properly.
Wolfsbain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

A factory stock car will auto correct the timing for whatever grade of fuel you are running.

I'm running a custom 93 octane race tune, so that's all I run. Also they have a gas station by my house that is ethanol free. I.E. 100% gas.

If you have one like that near you. I suggest you buy from them. Ethanol lowers your engines performance and fuel mileage. I know this b/c when I worked for GM I was a certified E85 tech.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

The `11 5.0 has the capability of running Reg., or Prem. The power/HP is supposed to be higher, with the higher octane rating-that's what I have been running(93-94)-these last 1600 miles
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to MrTibbij

91 or better only, but really only because of the higher hp rating at the higher octane and the fact that I am running a 91 octane performance tune.
2011 Ruby Red w/ a Tinted Clear Coat GT California Special: Airraid CAI, Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-back Exhaust, SCT Performance Tune, 6 spd, HID Lamps, 3.73 Limited Slip, Confort, Security, Electronics Packages.
MrTibbij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

if your car is stock why pay .30 per gallon if you dont have to? If you have a power adder or have a tune for 93 octane then run it. one of they guys on here explained on day that the octane level is how much compression the air/fuel mixture can take before it ignites. so if ur car is modded and the timing is advanced run higher octane, if not then dont. Please tell me you not one of those guys at the gas station pourin a lil bottle of "NOS" brand octane booster in your car after fill up thinkin it increases performance
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #7

Since I have a stock gt I am just sticking to 87. Although I do have a question for those who have custom tunes how much horsepower can you gain from them?
SilverMDStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
if your car is stock why pay .30 per gallon if you dont have to? If you have a power adder or have a tune for 93 octane then run it. one of they guys on here explained on day that the octane level is how much compression the air/fuel mixture can take before it ignites. so if ur car is modded and the timing is advanced run higher octane, if not then dont. Please tell me you not one of those guys at the gas station pourin a lil bottle of "NOS" brand octane booster in your car after fill up thinkin it increases performance
Most newer cars now days are able to determing the octane level of the fuel and adjust tunning according to the octane for better performance on their own.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Most newer cars now days are able to determing the octane level of the fuel and adjust tunning according to the octane for better performance on their own.
Thats impressive
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

run what its tuned for, if its not tuned and oem then 87
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMDStang View Post
Since I have a stock gt I am just sticking to 87. Although I do have a question for those who have custom tunes how much horsepower can you gain from them?
20-30rwhp

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

05+ GT's get more hp/tq than previous years so keep that in mind.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
run what its tuned for, if its not tuned and oem then 87
there is some evidence that running an octane higher than required can lead to exhaust valve damage over time due to the slightly slower burn characteristics of the higher octane fuel. you want to use the manufactors recommanded octane .Like Spec said run what your tuned for

http://www.bargaineering.com/article...s-it-does.html

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
there is some evidence that running an octane higher than required can lead to exhaust valve damage over time due to the slightly slower burn characteristics of the higher octane fuel. you want to use the manufactors recommanded octane .Like Spec said run what your tuned for

Why High Octane Doesn’t Matter (Unless It Does)
Thank you for that article, I finally learned something about the thing that I have always pondered. So, reguardless of what octane I put in, it doesn't matter because the engine is only tuned to compress what it's rated for! Again, great article, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post
Thank you for that article, I finally learned something about the thing that I have always pondered. So, reguardless of what octane I put in, it doesn't matter because the engine is only tuned to compress what it's rated for! Again, great article, thanks for sharing!
No problem !! Glad to help in whatever way I can

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

87. The cheaper the better.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

The article is true, but with new engine and fuel control management systems in most newer vehicles using a higher octane is beneficial.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

"The article is true, but with new engine and fuel control management systems in most newer vehicles using a higher octane is beneficial." SaleenFiend
+1
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
A factory stock car will auto correct the timing for whatever grade of fuel you are running.

I'm running a custom 93 octane race tune, so that's all I run. Also they have a gas station by my house that is ethanol free. I.E. 100% gas.

If you have one like that near you. I suggest you buy from them. Ethanol lowers your engines performance and fuel mileage. I know this b/c when I worked for GM I was a certified E85 tech.
hope this isnt a dumb question but how do you know if they are ethanol free?
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #20
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post

Where do you find ethanol free around here. Do you you buy from the store on fla. At the bridge. I see he advertises 100%, but wasn't sure of the condition of the tanks.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Is ethanol bad for an engine? And what is the difference in running ethanol free fuel as opposed to what all the other gas stations sell? I always thought gas was just gas, and if it makes my car go, that's all I need. Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #22
Blogger
Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996v6stang View Post
hope this isnt a dumb question but how do you know if they are ethanol free?
Usually all gas now a days has ethanol. They must post the ethanol content on somewhere. In our area there is a sticker on the pump with that says "Fuel contains up to 10% ethanol"

I would think if a place does not have ethanol today it will make sure everyone knows.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #23
Blogger
Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Nate281 View Post
Is ethanol bad for an engine? And what is the difference in running ethanol free fuel as opposed to what all the other gas stations sell? I always thought gas was just gas, and if it makes my car go, that's all I need. Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Don't know a lot about this but it does reduce the power and MPG of an engine. When it first came out years ago there were a lot of problems with the older engines. It attracts water and bounds with it, running it through your engine. It was taken away in our area but brought back a year or 2 ago.

I would guess in a high humidity area like mine it is worse. Although motors today are designed to run with 10%, I still would rather not use it.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMDStang View Post
Hey guys I was just wondering what octane are you running in your gt. I just bought a 2010 gt a couple a weeks ago. Ive been running 87 but should I do 91 or 93 and will it help performance and mileage? Thanks in advance here are some pics on my new baby.
You should be using what you owners manual tells you to use, unless you start modifying the engine for performance. In stock form, your GT will run on premium and will adjust for it, but it won't use the full potential of the gas thus giving yu nothing in return for the added expense. There's actually articles that tell you unburnt fuel will build up in your cats leading to a sulphur smell in the exhaust. Google it - there's tons of info out there.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I remember when ethanol was first introduced into the gas, it put my check engine light on right away and I kept going thru many O2 sensors!! I wanted to state to pay for it since it was them who thought of this bright idea to ruin my vehicle, but of course, they assume no responsibility for the choices and decisions that THEY make! Now I'm sure that if I put gas without that filler in my car would light up like a christmas tree!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf73 View Post
Don't know a lot about this but it does reduce the power and MPG of an engine. When it first came out years ago there were a lot of problems with the older engines. It attracts water and bounds with it, running it through your engine. It was taken away in our area but brought back a year or 2 ago.

I would guess in a high humidity area like mine it is worse. Although motors today are designed to run with 10%, I still would rather not use it.
Word!

I have a '98 boat that sat at the dock for weeks last year due to rain and more rain. By the time I could use it, my idle circuit was clogged and required a carb tear-down. I always use stabil to help with the varnishes issue, but last year it was methanol that got me. Not I add in the blue stuff to help keep the water issue in the gas from happening and added a water separator. Gov't allowed this crap to be used, and yet it cost me a lot of money to fix it. Their version of stimulus money I suppose.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I run 91 in my GT. It runs more smoothly on higher octane.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #28
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Tuned for 93,so I run 93 and it is always Vpower from Shell.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
You should be using what you owners manual tells you to use, unless you start modifying the engine for performance. In stock form, your GT will run on premium and will adjust for it, but it won't use the full potential of the gas thus giving yu nothing in return for the added expense. There's actually articles that tell you unburnt fuel will build up in your cats leading to a sulphur smell in the exhaust. Google it - there's tons of info out there.
These articles are outdated and specific to certain models, years, and engine management systems. As stated previously, most newer fuel management systems can adjust timing, a/f ration, and other parameters in accordance to the correct octane to harness the full potentional of the octane whether 87, 91, or 93.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT