Technical Question on 2010 & 2011 engines - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Technical Question on 2010 & 2011 engines

I have a 2010 V6 5 speed that doesn't like to go into reverse. I've had the transmission and the clutch mechanism replaced (under factory warranty) with no success. My question is: Would a 2011 manual transmission fit on my 2010 engine? If not, would a 2011 engine fit my 2010 car? (mounts, wiring, etc.) My biggest concern about the entire engine going into the car is the difference in the hp. (I had a 1977 Mustang that originally was a 6 but I ended up with a 4 in it. The only problem I had was it was a little slow to start, but it's possible that it was because I was missing the 2 cylinders.)
ivoryowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Technical Question on 2010 & 2011 engines

hmm the transmissions are different so I dont see them being interchangeable. I would just swap for a 2011 if you dont like your 2010. Since yours should be under warranty still keep making ford fix it. Reverse is a gear that should NEVER be gone into while the car is moving (generally has no syncro) but while sitting still it should go in rather easy~ I mean it is a manual trans and now and again it might have a little issue but it should not grind.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

The 94-04s T5s, T45s, and T3650s were always finicky with reverse. More than likely carried over into these year models (Isn't it still a T3650). I'm sure there isn't much to be done with the situation as this is just engineering. The trick was to always try to go for Reverse, go in 1st, then back to reverse and it would slide right in.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
hmm the transmissions are different so I dont see them being interchangeable. I would just swap for a 2011 if you dont like your 2010. Since yours should be under warranty still keep making ford fix it. Reverse is a gear that should NEVER be gone into while the car is moving (generally has no syncro) but while sitting still it should go in rather easy~ I mean it is a manual trans and now and again it might have a little issue but it should not grind.
I am NEVER moving while trying to access reverse, not even a little bit. Most of the time, it gives me trouble when I first start the car.
I don't have any "grind" unless I try to put it in gear by keeping pressure on the stick shift and start leaving out the clutch. (Sometimes, letting the clutch out till just before it grabs allows it to go into gear and I've tried that with the original transmission, but I haven't tried it since I got the new clutch.)
I've had another person tell me that the '11 engine should fit in my '10 and I believe that's what I want to do. I don't want Ford to replace my car since I have a feeling they'll try to stick me with a car that has a black interior. (I haven't figured out why 99.9% of cars in Texas come with black interiors. Doesn't anyone know how HOT that is?)
Thanks for your response.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
The 94-04s T5s, T45s, and T3650s were always finicky with reverse. More than likely carried over into these year models (Isn't it still a T3650). I'm sure there isn't much to be done with the situation as this is just engineering. The trick was to always try to go for Reverse, go in 1st, then back to reverse and it would slide right in.
You're talking a little Greek to me re: T5, T45 & T3650, but my point is: I have a car that I am paying $30k+ for, I shouldn't have to play with it to get it into gear. That's what the dealerships I talked to tried to get me to do. "Well, if you just....." I shouldn't have to "just" do anything except put it in gear - on the first try. My issue is: If I'm in a situation where I need to put it in gear NOW, I don't want to have to take time to guess which gear it wants me to put it in before it will allow me to go into reverse. I've had times where, it didn't want me to put it in first, it wouldn't go into reverse until I put it in second before reverse. (And that was AFTER I had tried first.)
Ok. I'm done yelling at you. I appreciate your response.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

My 01 V6 with a T-5 manual transmission didnt like reverse, especially in the cold.

I found that putting it in like 4th or so first then reverse would help.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryowner View Post
You're talking a little Greek to me re: T5, T45 & T3650, but my point is: I have a car that I am paying $30k+ for, I shouldn't have to play with it to get it into gear. That's what the dealerships I talked to tried to get me to do. "Well, if you just....." I shouldn't have to "just" do anything except put it in gear - on the first try. My issue is: If I'm in a situation where I need to put it in gear NOW, I don't want to have to take time to guess which gear it wants me to put it in before it will allow me to go into reverse. I've had times where, it didn't want me to put it in first, it wouldn't go into reverse until I put it in second before reverse. (And that was AFTER I had tried first.)
Ok. I'm done yelling at you. I appreciate your response.
Yes, you did pay $30K for a car---Just like everyone else on the road. Yes, mechanical and electrical components of vehicles have engineering flaws and sometimes you do have to 'just do something'. I work in a dealership and have for about 7 or 8 years as a Assistant Service Manager/Service Advisor. People who buy cars with that attitude are the ones that point out specific redudant "problems" with their vehicles. I am telling you that this has been somewhat of an engineering design (some consider it a flaw) since the early 90s. It may not always affect you or the individual. (ex. Dodge trucks have a major problem on initial starup as it sometimes takes 15-20 seconds for the torque converter to build pressure and the truck doesn't move while in gear in this stage. Just becuase everyone complains about it doesn't mean its a problem or anything can be done at this time to change it.)

I'm sure there is a purpose to the issue as it is with your transmission. Yes, It is also common that slowly releasing the clutch pedal out a little while hitting reverse with help slide it into gear also. You will eventually learn exactly the key to working your transmission with familiarity and it will work out just fine. I imagine that's why they consider it a 'Manual' transmission.

If you cannot deal with the issue or it is something that you refuse to work with then I'm sure there is another vehicle that fills your shoes. You may not notice their issues or querks enough to bother you. Plus, Mustangs come in automatics, too.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Yes, you did pay $30K for a car---Just like everyone else on the road. Yes, mechanical and electrical components of vehicles have engineering flaws and sometimes you do have to 'just do something'. I work in a dealership and have for about 7 or 8 years as a Assistant Service Manager/Service Advisor. People who buy cars with that attitude are the ones that point out specific redudant "problems" with their vehicles. I am telling you that this has been somewhat of an engineering design (some consider it a flaw) since the early 90s. It may not always affect you or the individual. (ex. Dodge trucks have a major problem on initial starup as it sometimes takes 15-20 seconds for the torque converter to build pressure and the truck doesn't move while in gear in this stage. Just becuase everyone complains about it doesn't mean its a problem or anything can be done at this time to change it.)

I'm sure there is a purpose to the issue as it is with your transmission. Yes, It is also common that slowly releasing the clutch pedal out a little while hitting reverse with help slide it into gear also. You will eventually learn exactly the key to working your transmission with familiarity and it will work out just fine. I imagine that's why they consider it a 'Manual' transmission.

If you cannot deal with the issue or it is something that you refuse to work with then I'm sure there is another vehicle that fills your shoes. You may not notice their issues or querks enough to bother you. Plus, Mustangs come in automatics, too.
So you think that when purchasing a new car, the buyer should just "deal" with issues in silence? That's the biggest problem. The engineers of these vehicles don't know there is an issue because no one tells them about it. How do we know that they CAN'T re-design the transmission (on the Ford) or whatever on the Dodge?
I work in a nursing home, and my administrator gets very frustrated with people who remove their loved one from our facility and when she calls to ask why, they tell her they had a problem. When asked if they told anyone, they respond "No".
As an Assistant Service Manager/Service Advisor, is it your dealership's policy to contact the manufacturer to explain the issue someone is having? You might have 1 or 2 Dodges come in with that problem, but that's only 1 dealership. What if all the Dodge dealerships around the country called with 1 or 2 of the same issue? How many calls would they be receiving? Do you think that maybe then they would do something? I realize they probably wouldn't do a recall, but they might, at least, come up with a "fix" for everyone who does come in.
I guess I'm really referring to myself. I had a '98 Ford Contour, V6 manual. For the first 4 months I had it, it kept stalling on me when I was at a complete stop. It spent more time in the shop than in my driveway for the first month or so. Finally, as I was about the Lemon Law the thing, I received a phone call saying they had a fix for my problem. I don't know what they did, but it didn't do it again after that.
(I know Mustangs come in automatics, but I didn't buy they manual because that's all they had. I looked online at 100's of Mustangs and specifically picked the manual. I've had several other Mustang manuals and never had this problem before.)
Old 10-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryowner View Post
So you think that when purchasing a new car, the buyer should just "deal" with issues in silence? That's the biggest problem. The engineers of these vehicles don't know there is an issue because no one tells them about it. How do we know that they CAN'T re-design the transmission (on the Ford) or whatever on the Dodge?
I work in a nursing home, and my administrator gets very frustrated with people who remove their loved one from our facility and when she calls to ask why, they tell her they had a problem. When asked if they told anyone, they respond "No".
As an Assistant Service Manager/Service Advisor, is it your dealership's policy to contact the manufacturer to explain the issue someone is having? You might have 1 or 2 Dodges come in with that problem, but that's only 1 dealership. What if all the Dodge dealerships around the country called with 1 or 2 of the same issue? How many calls would they be receiving? Do you think that maybe then they would do something? I realize they probably wouldn't do a recall, but they might, at least, come up with a "fix" for everyone who does come in.
I guess I'm really referring to myself. I had a '98 Ford Contour, V6 manual. For the first 4 months I had it, it kept stalling on me when I was at a complete stop. It spent more time in the shop than in my driveway for the first month or so. Finally, as I was about the Lemon Law the thing, I received a phone call saying they had a fix for my problem. I don't know what they did, but it didn't do it again after that.
(I know Mustangs come in automatics, but I didn't buy they manual because that's all they had. I looked online at 100's of Mustangs and specifically picked the manual. I've had several other Mustang manuals and never had this problem before.)

No, my point is that this isn't an issue at all. This is how the transmissions are designed and this is how it has been designed for a long time. There is a specific reason me or you do not know explaining why it's that way. I'm sure its designed as a protection step in order to protect reverse from damage in other instances. The engineers are well aware of these problems with the vehicles... especially Chrylser. Chrysler has issued a statement confirming that this is normal operation with the Dodge trucks and that 15-20 seconds is an acceptible amount of time. In the beginning you had dealers across the state making guesses and replacing parts with no avail and it had to be put to rest. If it was an issue don't you think there would have been some type of correction by now? No b/c it's a safety feature for the transmission for some reason. This is not considered Lemon Law because it's not broken or failing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT