H.I.D.'s wont stop flickering - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #1

H.I.D.'s wont stop flickering

Hey Mustang Evolution,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this issue I'm having. I have a 2010 Mustang and I had H.I.D.'s installed 2 weeks ago to replace my headlights. Right when I turned them on I noticed the driver side was flickering a lot. The guy at the shop told me he ran a power check and only found 10% power on my driver side (Which I thought was B.S. and on top of that I asked him if he ran across this issue why didn't he call me to give me the option of just saying forget it I don't want the H.I.D.'s?)

Anyways I questioned him and asked him if they were bad ballast's and of course he said no. So I had my friend switch out the ballast and the driver side was fine, then the passenger side started flickering. So I had that one replaced as well. But it's still flickering and now it completely went out.

My friend is going to try another ballast again and see if that works. So I currently put my stock headlight bulbs back in, my question is do you think it's just the ballast that's causing the flickering? Or is it something else? Anyone that's had this problem and fixed it I'm sure can help me out or give me some insight on what to do. Or if anyone in general knows what I can do please let me know, thanks guys & girls.
silverstang10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: H.I.D.'s wont stop flickering

sounds like cheap parts somewhere in the setup like they are not getting enough power to run them.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
sounds like cheap parts somewhere in the setup like they are not getting enough power to run them.
Well my friend told me the ballast is a piece of crap pretty much. I'm hoping that's all it is because he did replace the driver side and like I said that's working perfect now. So he's going to replace the passenger side again. I was just curious if maybe it could be something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to LSUstang

I had this problem once. It was practically a brand new kit when this happened to me. The plug that you use to get power to the whole system has 3 prongs on it and it hooks into the old power slot you used for the stock bulbs. Well one of the three prongs had backed out of the plug... so it didn't have full contact with the power slot which made the light flicker. I just pushed the loose one back in and taped it with electrical tape- works perfectly.

-2004 Mach 1 "Natasha"- JL Audio W6 w/ custom box, 8000K HIDs, Sequential signals, StangHi tune, Borla Stingers with catted X, deck lid & lower valence, C&L intake package, H&R Super Sports
-2001 White Vert V6- Sold
LSUstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUstang View Post
I had this problem once. It was practically a brand new kit when this happened to me. The plug that you use to get power to the whole system has 3 prongs on it and it hooks into the old power slot you used for the stock bulbs. Well one of the three prongs had backed out of the plug... so it didn't have full contact with the power slot which made the light flicker. I just pushed the loose one back in and taped it with electrical tape- works perfectly.

So you're talking about the plug from the hid kit right? Part of the ballast you mean? I had both ballast's switched out already thinking that might be the issue (bad ballast) and the driver side is fine, but the passenger side is still flickering. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean? Can you post a pic to show me what plug you're actually talking about? Sorry I'm not very hands on when it comes to electronics.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT