Enlighten Me.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Enlighten Me..

I am about to purchase a 2011 Mustang GT Premium. But several of my GM and MOPAR friends say stay away because of the axle/rear end. Something to do with "solid vs independent"? Performance? Gas mpg? Durability? Etc...Etc...OK, EDUCATE me B 4 I drop some $$$$$$.
Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Enlighten Me..

They are just salty that the 5.0 stang ****s on the challenger and camaro
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Region: Texas

im not an expert but new 5.0 gets better mpgs than most most mucle car out there, performance ummm trust me the 5.0 its a beast i have seen some people running low 11's in the 1/4 with just LT headers O/R mid pipe, Exhaust , CAI, an a tune, dont listen to them they'r just jealous.... so just get what you like.. but trust me u will be happy with the 2011 5.0 i test drove one and it was awsome btw it was an auto..so go for it

Future mods.
borla ATAK or competition sries exhaust, x pipe, ceramic shorty headers, CAI, Tuna from Bama AM ftw...
will_0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

I agree. All the competition is mad that the new mustang will smoke the pants off of them. All goes by what you like man.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee

First Drive: 2011 Ford Mustang GT changes the game — Autoblog

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

The rearend?? there is NOTHING wrong with it but yes independent would be better in handleling but thats it.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The new 5.0 has better gas mileage than my 04 Mach 1. The Mach 1 has a 4.6L engine. The 5.0 has alot more HP than the Mach 1 and better gas mileage, I would go for it.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
The rearend?? there is NOTHING wrong with it but yes independent would be better in handleling but thats it.
Agreed, it's a bit getting used to the solid rearend, any bump or pebble you feel it.
Wolfsbain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

okay i've researched this up and down, trust me, the gt is SO worth it. i'm ordering mine in jan (2011 gt w/ 3:73 and brembo brake package) and i wouldn't get it if i wasn't going to be completely happy with the ENTIRE car

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your input regarding the Mustang rear end. Tomorrow I am going to order the car. One other question. What do you think about running synthetic oil right from the get go? IE Castrol, Mobile, etc?
Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

I think you would be better off.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post
Agreed, it's a bit getting used to the solid rearend, any bump or pebble you feel it.

Not true at all. The Solid Rear Axles (SRAs) in the new cars have pulled the highest ever factory Gs on a stock platform Mustang. The ride quality if def better than the outdated 2004 IRS. There is never much of a difference in SRA vs. IRS when done correctly.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Thanks everyone for your input regarding the Mustang rear end. Tomorrow I am going to order the car. One other question. What do you think about running synthetic oil right from the get go? IE Castrol, Mobile, etc?
Use whatever you choose, but I promise you Ford Motorcraft oil and filter is the best oil and filter you can ever use for your Mustang.

Synthetics help by lowering temperatures and plenty of other things though. If you use a synthetic use Mobil 1 with a Motorcraft filter. Do the oil changes regularly based from Fords manual for the car. The oil may last a long time but Filters are usually what require changing earlier. I also recommend always following a decent time scale if you don't put enough miles on the car. Usually 6 months is when I make the change.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

All good advice-regarding oil(s) etc. I also agree with what's been said by our GM/Mopar drivin' bretheren.. They don't have answer for the 5.0 GT. It's baaaaddd-and they know it.. Do what your heart tells you. All the folks that are regulars to this forum, made their choice a long time ago(for some of us). There are plenty of comparisons between the three modern muscle cars. Check those out. Test drive them all. I couldn't be comfortable in the Camaro. The automotive press calls the interior view, "gun slits"-with the bulbous "A" pillars, the high bottom sills on the two main windows/doors. They had problems with the generation car that was ending production in 2002. The newer one looks pretty cool-but get in the cabin and see what I am referring to. No thanks for me. I guess you can also call me a Ford man, as well. Between my cars and trucks-and the vehicles that my wife and I have purchased for her-I've owned ?15 Fords.. The Challenger looks like it would have some of the same visibility difficulty that the Camaro has, as well. The comparison that I read, did give it some higher marks than the Camaro, though. Steve Saleen thinks there pretty cool. He has started offering turnkey upgrades to the Mopars, along with the Mustangs.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

the independent is better that SRA argument is losing water fast considering the 5.0 was only a tenth of a second or a second (cant remember which) slower than a bmw m3 on a road course
ford has engineered the SRA into a beast that makes it a handler as well as a straight line monster

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

independent rear is nice when done right, but is very very hard to find a sports car with one done right in the "muscle car" segment.

The live axle in the 2011 is lighter, cheaper to fix (down the road if something was to happen), and everyone that test drove is very very very surprised it handles so darn good on a live axle. Your friends dont really know what they are talking about.

Get the upgrade to 3.73 gears and the brembo brakes and your good to go
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

As a proud owner of a 2011 GT, I have driven the car for a little over a month and I agree with what everyone said. The car handles fantastic just amazing , tight , responsive , confident ! I used to drive a 2000 Gt and there is no comparison the 5.0 is in another class in handling performance. Oh and power ... the car is fast fast fast - with the new 6 speed keeps you right in the powerband and it keeps pulling to redline. I gave my friend ( a former vette owner) a ride and gave it a bit of a go and he said " wow that's like Vette power !" The Camaro and Challenger are close power wise the Mustang a tad faster due to weight . Give em all a try , personally I think the Challenger is the better looking of the also rans more like a classic muscle car.
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT