2011 5.0 exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
2011 5.0 exhaust

Ok then , got the CAI and tune now I just need some noise to go with the power. For anyone with a 2011 GT what kind of axle back exhaust have you installed how does it sound / fit . looks ease of install ? I am going to get just an axle back for now and I'm def looking for an agressive sound ! Ive checked out the clips on You tube etc and that " commercial" for the Borla's sure sounds baddass but they are way expensive. I am leaning towards the Roush axleback as they are much less $ and have a good look ( small cans ) that I am looking for .

any first hand experience would be helpful .

YloBlz
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: 2011 5.0 exhaust

Just installed my Roush axelbacks lastnight.Super easy install, looks and sounds great! There was a little trumpeting on take off but after about 5 minutes of driving it was gone.Sounds really tuned with a low growl at cruising speeds with absolutely no drone what so ever and when you get on it, it opens right up.

This exhaust for me is actually mild sounding but I really like it alot.Keep in mind that I am coming from kooks lts, catted h and Mac Boomtubes so axelbacks are gonna sound mild to me anyways.

Bottom line...easy install, sounds and looks great and affordable price.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hey thanks - thats probably what I'll do too

I know what ya mean axle backs will probably seem mild to me as well .
My 2000 Gt had headers , off road H pipe - MAC cat backs and was LOUD
but I loved it ... when I traded it in the dealer was fussing about my lack of cats lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #4

The Corsa offering is very aggressive and is the only aftermarket system that will not produce "drone" inside the car.
mjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjorgensen View Post
The Corsa offering is very aggressive and is the only aftermarket system that will not produce "drone" inside the car.
Its not the only system with no drone, the Roush has no drone at all.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've has plenty of experience(s)-with the previous two platforms. I installed the more agressive, Borla Stinger catback exhaust, on my S197-and though I appreciated the sound when I wanted to 'open it up a little bit'-during normal operation/highway cruising, it was kind of loud in the cabin. (I like a little 'loud'-but I favor performance, with a milder 'note'-over raucous-any day... LOL) I still haven't "busted a move"-with the current `11-because I like it so much, "stock"...
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Regular
Supporter

I agree,coming from a car with full exhaust its kinda nice to have no drone and to be able to hear it roar when you want it to.

Im still thinking about slapping on some LTs though, lol.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Dan,
`Since you have 'already been that guy' -and I have always been the one'that thought it all made sense'-but either didn't 'keep them long enough'-or-was just not willing to go through the slight hassle of totally replacing the exhaust(especially given the fact that my Mustang(s) have always had to be daily drivers-not track cars, as well..) Yeah, I know-there are plenty of people that would still do this to their car(s)-and drive them everywhere, anyway.. I still think I am taking any/all mods, slow, and a little at a time-beginning with a K&N panel filter?
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
Dan,
`Since you have 'already been that guy' -and I have always been the one'that thought it all made sense'-but either didn't 'keep them long enough'-or-was just not willing to go through the slight hassle of totally replacing the exhaust(especially given the fact that my Mustang(s) have always had to be daily drivers-not track cars, as well..) Yeah, I know-there are plenty of people that would still do this to their car(s)-and drive them everywhere, anyway.. I still think I am taking any/all mods, slow, and a little at a time-beginning with a K&N panel filter?
I would do some axelbacks first, if you haven't already.Then I would do a cai and tune which is what im doing next.A race tune has throttle response that will make your car feel totally different....go for it!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

ME: Wah...!

Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #11

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjorgensen
+1 I can definitely vouch for that. I love my Corsa system. It's quiet when u want it but when u open it up it screams like a monster. I also have the x-pipe to tone down the sound and reduce any raspiness or popping.
Appearance Mods: 20% black tint, SHR 5.0 Fuel Door, OEM V8 Decklid Panel
WildPony619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildPony619 View Post
+1 I can definitely vouch for that. I love my Corsa system. It's quiet when u want it but when u open it up it screams like a monster. I also have the x-pipe to tone down the sound and reduce any raspiness or popping.

Wha.....X pipe to "tone down" rasp?
Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Anyone heard the pypes mid muffler setup on these? sounds freakin awesome:

Old 11-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

Wha.....X pipe to "tone down" rasp?
I guess a better way for me to phrase it is that it's a lot more deeper sounding than with the stock h-pipe. The Corsas sound more higher toned than other brands (ie. Magnaflow, Roush) and there was a bit of raspiness initially on WOT with just the mufflers. I got the x-pipe installed shortly after the mufflers so it's possible the "rasp" may have simply been reduced during break in. My exhaust is definitely much louder with the x-pipe as I had hoped.
Appearance Mods: 20% black tint, SHR 5.0 Fuel Door, OEM V8 Decklid Panel
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
Regular
Supporter

X pipes are know for that raspy crackle while the H is know for the deeper growl.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
X pipes are know for that raspy crackle while the H is know for the deeper growl.
I think I'm confusing "rasp" with high pitch backfiring instead of what you're describing. But I have to admit, the exhaust does sound more tone down and deeper since I put in that x-pipe. I have a video of my car and a video of another person's 2011 GT with just the mufflers for comparison.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
Regular
Supporter

Well if you heard the popping sound and haven't had the exhaust on for very long thats pretty normal.It take a bit for them to open up.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=WildPony619;801664]I think I'm confusing "rasp" with high pitch backfiring instead of what you're describing. But I have to admit, the exhaust does sound more tone down and deeper since I put in that x-pipe. I have a video of my car and a video of another person's 2011 GT with just the mufflers for comparison.

Well..Your car sounds great. I listened to both video clips-thanks for posting those, BTW-and I still like your setup better than the Sterling Gray car..You have an AT, also-correct?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
In my experience it was the opposite when my 2000 GT had an X pipe high flow cats / Mac cat backs it had a great deep growl . after I got LT headers off road H pipe , with the same mufflers , it had a raspy crackle w/ lots of pops etc it wasn't bad , just different , and very loud ...

Now I am about to buy more parts for my 2011 and Im down to , Bassani axle backs , Roush axle backs , or magnaflow muffler deltes , the Borla ATAK axle backs sure sound great and I like the agressive and loud note but the price 8 hundred gaaaaa - Aren't most of the axlebacks about the same as far a loudness ?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ View Post
In my experience it was the opposite when my 2000 GT had an X pipe high flow cats / Mac cat backs it had a great deep growl . after I got LT headers off road H pipe , with the same mufflers , it had a raspy crackle w/ lots of pops etc it wasn't bad , just different , and very loud ...

Now I am about to buy more parts for my 2011 and Im down to , Bassani axle backs , Roush axle backs , or magnaflow muffler deltes , the Borla ATAK axle backs sure sound great and I like the agressive and loud note but the price 8 hundred gaaaaa - Aren't most of the axlebacks about the same as far a loudness ?
Not ALL axle backs are created "equal"-some are louder than others. As has been indicated-they will also get a little "louder"-over the course of time(as the inner packing gets compressed/"burned in"..). Choose carefully. You may pay more for a brand name-when the same quality is available more reasonably, $ dollar-wise.(Borla Stingers-top $, vs. FRPP axle back(s). Same product, alot le$$ expensive through FRPP..)

Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Well..Your car sounds great. I listened to both video clips-thanks for posting those, BTW-and I still like your setup better than the Sterling Gray car..You have an AT, also-correct?
Thanks! It is an auto. I plan to do another video next Spring when I get a tune and CAI installed to see if there is any difference in sound or at least more aggressiveness in sound from the improved shift points.

Quote:
I like the agressive and loud note but the price 8 hundred gaaaaa - Aren't most of the axlebacks about the same as far a loudness ?
Quote:
Not ALL axle backs are created "equal"-some are louder than others. As has been indicated-they will also get a little "louder"-over the course of time(as the inner packing gets compressed/"burned in"..). Choose carefully. You may pay more for a brand name-when the same quality is available more reasonably, $ dollar-wise.(Borla Stingers-top $, vs. FRPP axle back(s). Same product, alot le$$ expensive through FRPP..)
I agree with jimbullit. Every company's axlebacks are manufactured to provide they're own unique sound with the exception of FRPP and Borla Stingers since they are essentially the same. Some are designed to be a little louder than stock and others loud til your ears bleed. After the break-in period (usually 500-1000 miles), your exhaust can become noticeable louder. There are also muffler delete systems. Muffler deletes are literally straight pipes and will provide the loudest exhaust for your stang. They are also usually much cheaper than systems that have mufflers ($250-400 vs 300-$1000+) . Although there is a draw back to going the muffler deletes way. They have a tendency to give off more drone and are prone to more popping/backfiring.

Here's a video of SLP Loudmouths on a 2011 GT. These are the loudest muffler delete axlebacks that I've heard:
Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:"Here's a video of SLP Loudmouths on a 2011 GT. These are the loudest muffler delete axlebacks that I've heard...."

Wow. REALLY "raspy/poppin' " when revved -sounded better when the car accelerated/drove off.
I would bet that's a loud 'sunny beach', driving on the highway at normal speed...

Old 12-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ordered the Magnaflow Muffler deletes this morning - yeah I know, loud , obnoxious , raspy popping all that
Don't needs no stinkin flufflers

I want to make dogs bark , scare small children and set off car alarms when I go by .

bwee-oop, bwee-oop + honkhonkhonk
Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Ordered the Magnaflow Muffler deletes this morning - yeah I know, loud , obnoxious , raspy popping all that

I want to make dogs bark , scare small children and set off car alarms when I go by .

bwee-oop, bwee-oop + honkhonkhonk
Nice! Be sure to post some sound clips or video when you get them installed. Minus the backfiring, the exhaust does sound pretty good from the clips I've heard online.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=LbarJ;802325]Ordered the Magnaflow Muffler deletes this morning - yeah I know, loud , obnoxious , raspy popping all that

I do-and will always believe-that "there is a time and a place"-for the 'loud' exhaust(s) . I also condone/support being responsible, and not pissing other people off-especially in a neighborhood setting...

Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I do-and will always believe-that "there is a time and a place"-for the 'loud' exhaust(s) . I also condone/support being responsible, and not pissing other people off-especially in a neighborhood setting... [/QUOTE]

remark was supposed to be Tongue in cheek . I have no intention or desire to " piss people off " In fact with my last car : 2000 GT ,Headers Off Road H pipe Mac cat backs all I got were complements or questions about what sysyem I had . Once a Marked Police car ( Charger ) followed me to the lot at work just to ask what kind of exhaust I had - he was a Mustang Owner too .

Magnaflows installed - I like the sound alot - quiet burble at idle to a nice agressive note when you step on it - sounds like a mustang should ! I would recomend the deletes for people who want an agressive note but don't plan on replacing the headers or midpipe - the deletes may be too loud for that application .
Old 12-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Glad you were just "funnin' " everyone..
Thanks for the helpful information!

Old 12-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

+ 1 BTW the stock mufflers are huge - 21 pounds apiece - I suspect most axlebacks and especially the delete pipes - felt like about 10 lbs ish per pipe - are a significant reduction - less weight more zoom
Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=jimbullit;802444]
Quote:

I do-and will always believe-that "there is a time and a place"-for the 'loud' exhaust(s) . I also condone/support being responsible, and not pissing other people off-especially in a neighborhood setting...
awwwww jim, such a nice guy lol

i gota put a video of my car up so you can hear it. it sets off all car alarms, makes dogs bark, and give old people heart attacks lol hahah i like it!

i cant say what exhaust i perfer yet, since i dont have the 5.0, but im suprised at how much i liked the sound of the roush, and the slp loud mouths.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Ken Cheema;802842]
Quote:

Awwwww Jim, such a nice guy lol

I gota put a video of my car up so you can hear it. It sets off all car alarms, makes dogs bark, and give old people heart attacks lol hahah I like it!

I cant say what exhaust I prefer yet, since I don't have the 5.0, but I'm surprised at how much I liked the sound of the Roush, and the SLP loud mouths.
Ken,
I've had the loud and proud 'section" -with experience(s):Borla, Basanni, SLP
I just really am loving the 5.0, as is-for now. It kicks a$$ in it's stock form-you'll see!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #31
Regular
Supporter

I'm gonna have to disagree about the stock exhaust..... they are horrible. Those things are so quiet you can't even hear the car running. The Roush system sound deep and low at idle, but not obnoxious and screams when you want it to. I'm still thinking of going to a O.R. X pipe so I can pass 400whp.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Dan,
Before you do any more mods-I need to take a ride in your car-the way "it is right now"..

Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #33
Regular
Supporter

We can set that up. Tomorrow we are doing a cruise to Late Model Restoration Supply at 8am. If that's not possible we can figure out something else, shoot me a pm and let me know when you have time.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Dan:
PM "waiting"..!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

awwwww you guys have a date. how cute lol
you guys wanna hear a silent oem exhaust ...the SS camaro. we were laughing at it at the car wash lol
the guy was so proud of it and we couldnt even tell if it was running. then the guy turned my car on.....lol mr camero was not happy lol

but yeah worst exhaust ever
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust