Just a fluke or has anyone seen this before? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
Just a fluke or has anyone seen this before?

Got in my 2011 GT last night and when I tried to start it I left up on the clutch just enough to break the safety swirch before the engine actually started. I think I continued to hold the key in the start position and then pushed the clutch down. The engine did start but was running very rough. I revved it up a bit think that it would start running normally but no it continued to miss as if it was running very rich. I left off the throttle and the engine died. I paused a moment and restarted it and started immediately and idled normally. The garage was filled with whitish blue smoke so after I pulled out I walked back inside and it sure smelled as if it had be running rich. I have not been able to reproduce this condition by repeating this inadvertent starting technique. Has anyone else experience this? I'm not going to make a habit of stating the car in this manner I'm just curious what would have caused this condition. It seems like I somehow confused the engine control module.

triton48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Just a fluke or has anyone seen this before?

sounds like it was running really rich, like a sensor was not being read right (like the maf or IAT sensor to that determines how much gas to use).

Keep an eye on it and if it does it again see if there is something you are doing to make it happen. Its going to be one of those things the dealership wont mess with unless there is a TSB, recall, or they can reproduce it.

2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Re: Just a fluke or has anyone seen this before?

I would think that you were seeing the effect(s) of "unburned" gasoline, and even some that dumped itself into the cylinder(s), when the normal sequence was accidentally "flubbed"-especially given the "smoke".. All new cars/motorcycles run rich, from the factory(s)-that has been my experience. The manufacturers have to 'get cars past the EPA and other Federal regulations'-and set them up that way, for compliance. Start it normally-if something happens again(in a similar fashion?)-take it in.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT