Winter Driving - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
Wolfsbain76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Region: New York
Posts: 268
Re: Winter Driving

[QUOTE=Murph;808898]
My advice is to go get a Winter beater. At least if someone slides into a POS you only need for Winter, then you won't be as pissed as if they take out your Mustang. QUOTE]

Very valid point, but unfortunately I can't afford to get another car as a POS D/D. And believe me, I want a POS car as a Daily Driver! Now if anyone knows of a DD that is AWD/FWD for $700 I'll take it! Yes, I know, finding a vehicle for that price is not going to happen, but I can try to look for it.
__________________
2007 Mustang GT
Wolfsbain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Winter Driving

[QUOTE=Wolfsbain76;809022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
My advice is to go get a Winter beater. At least if someone slides into a POS you only need for Winter, then you won't be as pissed as if they take out your Mustang. QUOTE]

Very valid point, but unfortunately I can't afford to get another car as a POS D/D. And believe me, I want a POS car as a Daily Driver! Now if anyone knows of a DD that is AWD/FWD for $700 I'll take it! Yes, I know, finding a vehicle for that price is not going to happen, but I can try to look for it.
There was a ford probe around here 5spd front wheel drive for 900, not sure if it's still around though...
__________________
~2003 Zinc Yellow Terminator Cobra~
~482 RWHP / 487 LBS Torque~
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 145
Re: Winter Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Gorman View Post
Good old Alberta does not use salt on the roads, no need to worry about rust here my friend!
No salt means no rust, No salt means more slip and slide, no salt means a banged up or ran into 2011+ 5.0.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 145
Re: Winter Driving

[QUOTE=Wolfsbain76;809022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
My advice is to go get a Winter beater. At least if someone slides into a POS you only need for Winter, then you won't be as pissed as if they take out your Mustang. QUOTE]

Very valid point, but unfortunately I can't afford to get another car as a POS D/D. And believe me, I want a POS car as a Daily Driver! Now if anyone knows of a DD that is AWD/FWD for $700 I'll take it! Yes, I know, finding a vehicle for that price is not going to happen, but I can try to look for it.
Excuse me, try hunting for early 1990 or late 1980s suburu legacy sedans, I obtained 1 for a measly 650 dollars 2 years ago with 165k on it and it ran very well, plus it was lots of fun drifting on an ice rink like parking lot on the weekend when no cars were parked there, this way you won't miss your mustang for the winter. I later sold it for 700 dollars, I am thinking of getting another 1. Plus early 1993 plus ford escorts are very good snow cars, handle very well just don't get hit by a semi or your toast, made out of very thin metal. Also keep it for only winter and when the spring comes around sell it I'm sure some one will buy it for the same 700 you payed for it. I plan to do that every winter when I get my 5.0. Or you could leave the world of Mustangs and get a Porsche they don't rust easily at all I had one for 3 winters and when I worked on the suspension there was no rust at all.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #40
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911
No salt means no rust, No salt means more slip and slide, no salt means a banged up or ran into 2011+ 5.0.
Pfffffttttt. They still use gravel. We don't have ice issues therefore no salt. Once it's cold here it stays cold so they just spread sand. This is the prairies,we get temps of -50c.... So sorry the slip comment is wrong. We get better traction than communities that use salt because it creates more ice,then you might get the slip you refer to however seeing as tho you don't live here I suggest educating yourself on the climate and road conditions before you make an unfounded comment
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 145
Re: Winter Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Gorman View Post
Proof that it can be done:




Red Mustangs Rock, people treat my GT like it is a Ferarri I am kinda getting sick of the attention, but nice.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 145
Re: Winter Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Pfffffttttt. They still use gravel. We don't have ice issues therefore no salt. Once it's cold here it stays cold so they just spread sand. This is the prairies,we get temps of -50c.... So sorry the slip comment is wrong. We get better traction than communities that use salt because it creates more ice,then you might get the slip you refer to however seeing as tho you don't live here I suggest educating yourself on the climate and road conditions before you make an unfounded comment
No need to be offended, it is better to experience living in certain parts of the world first hand to realize the weather conditions rather than do research since some articles are nothing but crap. Hearing about the weather conditions and the lack of the use of salt from you is better since you live there and see these conditions first hand, how is it with cold starts in that part of the world. Here in Massachusetts salt is used as well as gravel but I honestly think the roads are made crappy anyway regardless. You could tell I hate Mass.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 145
Re: Winter Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911 View Post
No need to be offended, it is better to experience living in certain parts of the world first hand to realize the weather conditions rather than do research since some articles are nothing but crap. Hearing about the weather conditions and the lack of the use of salt from you is better since you live there and see these conditions first hand, how is it with cold starts in that part of the world. Here in Massachusetts salt is used as well as gravel but I honestly think the roads are made crappy anyway regardless. You could tell I hate Mass.
Also my comment was based on my part of the world.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
a_Gorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 60
As far as cold starts goes, no issues and I let her warm up until she is good and ready to help minimize the shifting issues brought on by the cold.

I am not some young un informed kid, I know the road conditions, the other drivers, the materials used on the roads for traction etc etc. I have had my fair share of cars and this car hands down out handles all of my others in the winter. Ford did a great job and um just expressing that through this thread.

For those of you who live in different circumstance and have to contend with rust as an issue I get it and understand, I lived in Eastern Canada for a huge part of my life and know what salt does to vehicles!

I can afford a winter beater hands down but why would I? I love this car and for what use it gets in the winter it's great. Why get another vehicle to clog up my driveway if I dont need it!!!

This post was simply to illustrate that these new Mustangs are extremely capable of driving in the winter. If I were to live my life according to some of the posts in thus thread I would have bubble wrap on everything I own, forget that! I bought the car to enjoy it, to drive it and to play with it.

Bottom line, if you don't want to drive yours in the winter don't!!! I do and I will and I have NO WORRIES what so ever about driving it. If you don't like that then keep counting down the days until you can drive yours again and leave me to enjoy my car!
a_Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #45
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,203
Sorry.... Rough day.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 145
Re: Winter Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Sorry.... Rough day.
I understand, but good thing you mentioned that I actually did research and yes the salt is meant to help melt the snow. Road engineers told me that salt is added to the materials to make roads to provide grip. I was told that when I asked years ago what the signs that say reduced salt area slippery surface meant. Anyway I want to say that surprisingly even my 2007 gt seems to be made of some type of galvanized steel or something, I had an exposed piece of metal for a few months and even now still no rust. I am too lazy to paint it over. My BMWs from the past 2001 and 85 will show rust the very next day metal is exposed. All said and done I am really starting to realize that the Mustang is the car for me big time. Plus did you realize the strut towers have a second layer of sheet metal to prevent mushrooming from stiff struts and springs, Bmw on the other hand does not and required me to add strut mount reinforcement plates from TMS for added strength. God I love Mustangs.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 145
Re: Winter Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Gorman View Post
As far as cold starts goes, no issues and I let her warm up until she is good and ready to help minimize the shifting issues brought on by the cold.

I am not some young un informed kid, I know the road conditions, the other drivers, the materials used on the roads for traction etc etc. I have had my fair share of cars and this car hands down out handles all of my others in the winter. Ford did a great job and um just expressing that through this thread.

For those of you who live in different circumstance and have to contend with rust as an issue I get it and understand, I lived in Eastern Canada for a huge part of my life and know what salt does to vehicles!

I can afford a winter beater hands down but why would I? I love this car and for what use it gets in the winter it's great. Why get another vehicle to clog up my driveway if I dont need it!!!

This post was simply to illustrate that these new Mustangs are extremely capable of driving in the winter. If I were to live my life according to some of the posts in thus thread I would have bubble wrap on everything I own, forget that! I bought the car to enjoy it, to drive it and to play with it.

Bottom line, if you don't want to drive yours in the winter don't!!! I do and I will and I have NO WORRIES what so ever about driving it. If you don't like that then keep counting down the days until you can drive yours again and leave me to enjoy my car!
It probably isn't a big deal for us mustang owners, honestly here in MASS, I have never seen rust on any 1998 and up mustang period only the live rear axel gets rusted but thats it. Mustangs are actually better cars than a lot of people think.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
a_Gorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Region: Canada
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911
It probably isn't a big deal for us mustang owners, honestly here in MASS, I have never seen rust on any 1998 and up mustang period only the live rear axel gets rusted but thats it. Mustangs are actually better cars than a lot of people think.
We still have cars from the 60's and 70's driving around that have been daily driven their entire lives here in Alberta, one winter does not worry me!
a_Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not winter yet but... mustang03ally General Mustang Discussion 15 08-11-2010 09:30 PM
Mustang '06 winter driving DW84 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 11-06-2009 07:13 PM
Winter Toy redcobravert Pictures and Videos 12 09-01-2009 07:26 PM
Sat all Winter kmurrey Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 8 04-11-2006 09:43 PM
me having some winter fun jimmy_beaner Pictures and Videos 9 12-28-2005 01:36 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:31 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.