Winter Driving - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Winter Driving

I would assume for most people on this site it's not even a thought but for us up here in the cold north winter driving is a fact of life. With the purchase of a brand new 2011 Mustang GT most people thought I was nuts for even considering driving it in the winter but let me tell you, she handles like a dream. Living in northern Canada brings some pretty harsh weather conditions but with a good set of winter tires, the outstanding stability control and a good head on ones shoulders, there is absolutely no need to tuck ones pride and joy away until the summer!
a_Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Winter Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Gorman View Post
... with a good set of winter tires, the outstanding stability control and a good head on ones shoulders, there is absolutely no need to tuck ones pride and joy away until the summer!
Until you put the car up on a lift a year later and see the entire underside coated in rust....all the nooks and crannies that don't get undercoated if you did undercoat the car are rusted...and the random rust spots start a couple years down the road due to salt getting into a pin hole somewhere.

I used to live in a heavy snow climate as well...and have see what the salt does to new vehicles.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Good old Alberta does not use salt on the roads, no need to worry about rust here my friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
I have seen snow once in the past 14 years.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
I have seen snow once in the past 14 years.
It looks the same every time it happens...seen it once, you've seen all there is to see.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom

It looks the same every time it happens...seen it once, you've seen all there is to see.
I agree! I lived in PA as a kid and loved it then but I would be ok if I never saw it again.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No big deal. 15 winters on my 96 and the rust isnt bad at all.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #8

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Until you put the car up on a lift a year later and see the entire underside coated in rust....all the nooks and crannies that don't get undercoated if you did undercoat the car are rusted...and the random rust spots start a couple years down the road due to salt getting into a pin hole somewhere.

I used to live in a heavy snow climate as well...and have see what the salt does to new vehicles.
If you're ok with going to a touchless/brushless automatic car wash, you can significantly reduce any chance of salt lingering under your car if you wash it often enough. I have a car wash by me that gives you unlimited car washes for like $25.00 a month. Just make sure that if you do go to one, they have the underbody spray as I'm not sure all car wash places have it. I don't plan to drive my car in the snow but if I had to, I would going to the car wash every other day.
Appearance Mods: 20% black tint, SHR 5.0 Fuel Door, OEM V8 Decklid Panel
WildPony619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Bottom line, these cars were engineered and build fantastically! For those who also experience harsh winter driving condition there is no need to park your stang and do the winter count down anymore! We have had snow on the ground for well over a month now and I enjoy my mustang everyday!!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yes it is definitely possible to drive them in the snow/winter conditions. It sounds like the newer models have much improved stability control/traction control, and as you said, a good set of tires and a level head will keep you on the road.

I drove mine for one winter when I was 16 and that was enough...not so much the driving part (though no tlok and crappy TC made for a good time ), but the fact that I just bought the car and didn't want to chance wrecking it during winter. Now mine sits in storage nov-march and I drive a 4wd truck in winter.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I drove my 89 rustang for 3 winters in NJ (granted nothing like canada's winters! but still deep snow and ice concerns) on just all season tires haha.. It's possible.. If anything I made it fun and only spun out a few times..

It's a good thing they don't use salt on the roads, that's a killer!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a good thing they don't use salt on the roads, that's a killer!
Sure Is!!!

I have had several friends drive 2005+ GT's all year round in Canadian Winters and I my self was very skeptical of doing it, but with technology nowadays it's not much of an issue. Mind you next winter, after the mods have been added this spring, my 2011 Mustang will be tucked away all nice and cozy in the garage once again.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Well I hope you're right about the 11' gt as here in the Maryland DC area we dont get alot of snow but enough to make things tricky . I drove my 2000 Gt year round for 10 yrs and it was very difficult at times with any snow on the road I got very little traction and could get stuck at any moment . One season I drove all year on Drag Radials yeah I know Im a nut ... I spun off the road into a bush - at slow speed - that was not fun .
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Gorman
I would assume for most people on this site it's not even a thought but for us up here in the cold north winter driving is a fact of life. With the purchase of a brand new 2011 Mustang GT most people thought I was nuts for even considering driving it in the winter but let me tell you, she handles like a dream. Living in northern Canada brings some pretty harsh weather conditions but with a good set of winter tires, the outstanding stability control and a good head on ones shoulders, there is absolutely no need to tuck ones pride and joy away until the summer!
We had about 3 inches of snow and I was very surprised and pleased at how well my 2011 gt handled!
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We had about 3 inches of snow and I was very surprised and pleased at how well my 2011 gt handled!
The Traction Control and ESC are so good you have to turn them off just to have a little fun!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster View Post
We just recently got a lot of snow in the Buffalo area and I unfortunately had to put my Mustang to the test. My 4WD truck is not working at the moment so I had no other choice but to drive the Mustang and hope and pray it makes it through the week until I get my truck fixed. I'll have to say that it surprisingly did fairly well with the stock all-season Pirelli tires. The car's TC really tries to prevent you from fish-tailing and the anti-locks work well when braking in icy conditions. When you accelerate or go into a turn, your rear will start going out on you a bit (even with the TC taking control) but if you drive slow enough, it's not a big deal. Winter tires would probably make a huge difference in traction and to prevent slipping. So my final verdict is if you can get a decent set of winter tires and throw some sandbags in the trunk, you will be just fine.
Appearance Mods: 20% black tint, SHR 5.0 Fuel Door, OEM V8 Decklid Panel
WildPony619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Why not have some fun! I enjoy driving mine in the little snow we get here. It handled better than my old FWD car. Traction Control works wonders. I'm sure it's even better on the 2011s much improved from 06.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #18

what is snow, and what does it look like? lol. It has NEVER snowed here, in fact the few times it did "snow" it melted before it hit the ground
hector234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Unfortunately I have to drive my 94 this winter but the rear in locked and I have some meaty snow/mud tires on it and it done pretty good so far.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Proof that it can be done:

Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Old 12-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

that red looks very cool against the snow " nice photos

I assume there is no salt involved - we just got a dusting to an inch that stuck and my 11 GT handled much much better than my 2000 gt .

However that salt is just a killer - I am imagining it eating away my lovely Paint . they throw extreme amounts of salt on the roads here , Maryland DC area ,
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ
that red looks very cool against the snow " nice photos

I assume there is no salt involved - we just got a dusting to an inch that stuck and my 11 GT handled much much better than my 2000 gt .

However that salt is just a killer - I am imagining it eating away my lovely Paint . they throw extreme amounts of salt on the roads here , Maryland DC area ,
Nope, as previously stated in this thread!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

It's so pretty.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla
It's so pretty.
Thank you so much!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #26
A.K.A. Baby-D!

wow those pics are awesome! i agree, the red looks amazing with the snow!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco

I'm sooo glad i don't Have to worry about it YUCK!!!
Loraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla

I agree! I lived in PA as a kid and loved it then but I would be ok if I never saw it again.
In pa.... I have many cousins up there.... And winter driving in a mustang is fine if you have good rubber and drive appropriately.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Love the car, Red with black rims always looks good
Old 12-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith

I would NEVER put my baby through a winter here in West Michigan. That is just cruel and unusual punishment! The amount of snow/salt/sand/othercrap that is all over the roads is sick! F###ing Lake Effect!!!! I will not drive my car in the rain either unless I get caught in it.
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith
I would NEVER put my baby through a winter here in West Michigan. That is just cruel and unusual punishment! The amount of snow/salt/sand/othercrap that is all over the roads is sick! F###ing Lake Effect!!!! I will not drive my car in the rain either unless I get caught in it.
Lol as of right now the 2011 GT is the winter beater, that is until I get my Ford Lightning for next winter!!! The Shelby gets tucked away for my winters!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Gorman

Lol as of right now the 2011 GT is the winter beater, that is until I get my Ford Lightning for next winter!!! The Shelby gets tucked away for my winters!!!
I hate your life so much. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector234 View Post
what is snow, and what does it look like? lol. It has NEVER snowed here, in fact the few times it did "snow" it melted before it hit the ground
Dude, where do you live?? That's the kind of weather I'm looking for, no Snow!! (But also no cold).
Old 01-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Gorman View Post
No sale. I work in NH and play in Maine. No way I'd entertain running my Stang during Winter months. I grew up driving many Camaros through the Winters - pure insanity. High horsepower and rear-wheel drive doesn't work on snow packed or icy roads - especially in my area where nothing is flat or straight.

Add in the amount of deicing crap dumped on the roads that will eat most metal, makes no sense. Have fun running your ride through the Winter, but I'm betting you'll get an "I told you so" once Winter decides to really kick in. My advice is to go get a Winter beater. At least if someone slides into a POS you only need for Winter, then you won't be as pissed as if they take out your Mustang.

Bottom line - you might be in control, but once the roads cover over, then you not only need to worry about you getting home, but also getting home without some other idiot sliding into you.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph

No sale. I work in NH and play in Maine. No way I'd entertain running my Stang during Winter months. I grew up driving many Camaros through the Winters - pure insanity. High horsepower and rear-wheel drive doesn't work on snow packed or icy roads - especially in my area where nothing is flat or straight.

Add in the amount of deicing crap dumped on the roads that will eat most metal, makes no sense. Have fun running your ride through the Winter, but I'm betting you'll get an "I told you so" once Winter decides to really kick in. My advice is to go get a Winter beater. At least if someone slides into a POS you only need for Winter, then you won't be as pissed as if they take out your Mustang.

Bottom line - you might be in control, but once the roads cover over, then you not only need to worry about you getting home, but also getting home without some other idiot sliding into you.
All valid points but where I live there is no need to worry about salt and other rust causing agents. Secondly for the amount i drive the car in the winter it is not a concern, it is simply a vehicle to get me from point A to B with in the town.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT