2012 mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2012 mustang

Hey im a 16 year old high school student who is fortunate enough to choose his first car, i want a mustang premium GT. I want to be dissuaded from this option i already know all the reasons to love the car but i just need some one or many some ones to play the devils advocate for me =D
Colde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: 2012 mustang

Honda Civic. Trust me. 16 year olds do not need to be driving around in Mustangs. Much less GT Mustangs.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Honda Civic. Trust me. 16 year olds do not need to be driving around in Mustangs. Much less GT Mustangs.
x2! Not only a gt mustang, but a BRAND NEW one.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

yeah if ur dad gets u a 2012 gt thats retarted...i mean my dad bought me mine but i had driven for a few years and the new Gt's are putting out over400 in the engine. Im young and even I think thats a bad idea.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yeah, that is pretty dumb... I'm 19 and worked my a** off for my 05 GT AND I never got a speeding ticket or got into an accident. In other words, I'm a responsible driver! Lol. If you still want a mustang, get a 90s gt. Not crazy horsepower and still a mustang! Otherwise, stick to something like a civic or cobalt. My fist car was a sunfire! Doesn't have to be anything spectacular! I still drive it during the winter and on rainy days.
eouellette18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm 17 and my first car is a 97 cvt gt. I love it.
Nrooney3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
You have heard a lot of great reasons not too. I was 37 before I got my own. I wanted one when I was younger but I wanted my first one to be special and the first time you wreck it will kill you.
I think that a 90s mustang would be right up your alley and as you grow into it you can mid it and then later move into the newest model. That is my opinion.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08
yeah if ur dad gets u a 2012 gt thats retarted...i mean my dad bought me mine but i had driven for a few years and the new Gt's are putting out over400 in the engine. Im young and even I think thats a bad idea.
I've driven since I was 13 I'm not from the states and I'm a responsible driver and this is the first car that's gonna be mine and I'm making the payments my parents are loaning me the money vs. Using a dealers financing and having crazy payments for this discussion could we look aside the age factor
Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

there are without a doubt some 16 year olds that can own and not mess up or kill themselves with a newer mustang GT. The problem is no 16 year old is in their right mind all the time lol... no matter how mature you think you are after you get older you will look back and think "dear lord why was I so stupid", or "why did I do something as stupid as that" its just part of growing up.

The bottom line is you can kill yourself in a honda civic or some sports car either one, its just if you have the power you are much more likely to do something more stupid with it~ thats all people are getting at. Plus being younger chances of an accident are higher regardless how much you have driven from 13-16~ just part of it as well. When I was 16 I felt I was very mature and respected my cars. I had a 97 V6 mustang then an 01 V6 at around 18. I took very good care of both and I felt the reason was it was my money and I took them to shows so keeping them looking great was part of it. That helped so keep those in mind if you get the car do it doesnt get trashed and ruined. Try to get involved with a local MUSTANG car club (not some stupid high school club but a REAL club) and they are great resources of info and help for anything you are wanting to do to the car. Just like this forum.

Regardless its a great car just dont spend all your cash on it as its time to be saving so when you get out of college you have cash vs being broke, it really comes in handy to have a good bit saved up. As always respect the car and use common since all will work out.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
there are without a doubt some 16 year olds that can own and not mess up or kill themselves with a newer mustang GT. The problem is no 16 year old is in their right mind all the time lol... no matter how mature you think you are after you get older you will look back and think "dear lord why was I so stupid", or "why did I do something as stupid as that" its just part of growing up.

The bottom line is you can kill yourself in a honda civic or some sports car either one, its just if you have the power you are much more likely to do something more stupid with it~ thats all people are getting at. Plus being younger chances of an accident are higher regardless how much you have driven from 13-16~ just part of it as well. When I was 16 I felt I was very mature and respected my cars. I had a 97 V6 mustang then an 01 V6 at around 18. I took very good care of both and I felt the reason was it was my money and I took them to shows so keeping them looking great was part of it. That helped so keep those in mind if you get the car do it doesnt get trashed and ruined. Try to get involved with a local MUSTANG car club (not some stupid high school club but a REAL club) and they are great resources of info and help for anything you are wanting to do to the car. Just like this forum.

Regardless its a great car just dont spend all your cash on it as its time to be saving so when you get out of college you have cash vs being broke, it really comes in handy to have a good bit saved up. As always respect the car and use common since all will work out.
Thank you that was a very well written ad eloquent post, I try to be responsible and am as mature as a kid can be I have much respect for vehicles as I lost my best friend in a car accident and he was in a scion tC I have a scholarship already for college so I'm gonna use what I would have spent on college for my car
Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Yea, some people have the mentality at the age of 16 such that they end up destroying the car, not caring about it (partly because they are not always paying for it) or just don't think bad things can happen to them. Keeping a level head and working hard to pay your own way helps in the responsibility category. As said get involved with a local Mustang club (Mustang Club of America Chapter perhaps) and you will get some great friends have have a ton more fun with your vehicle. I am on my 3rd mustang and it all started for me at 17. They are great cars with the best following out there. Get in the habit of using cruise control to not speed lol trust me you do NOT want any tickets on your record for insurance will not be cheap already.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Yep! I had an eclipse when I was 16. Your first car is more than likely to get a little beat up considering you're new to the road. I don't suggest a GT Mustang.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Get a used 2005 for 8,000 insurance will be less and you don't have to worry about scratches as much etc.
Airforcekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Also don't forget (depends on school area) a 16 year old driving a new mustang can spark jealousy even at college it could be vandalized happened to me.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforcekid
Also don't forget (depends on school area) a 16 year old driving a new mustang can spark jealousy even at college it could be vandalized happened to me.
I live and go to school in a fairly upper class neighbour hood with the majority of students own at the least 1 series BMW's if anything I'd be the subject of redicule xD
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco

My first car was an AMC Mata-door, I got my first Mustang when i was 25 it was an 85 5.0 got to many tickets, so i gave it up an got VW sqare back slammed Grabber blue looked cool and not fast no tickets!
Loraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Can I be your new older sister?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I agree with most everything that's been said here. I "shared a `65 VW Beetle with an older brother. It was a 4 speed with no A.C., and factory radio delete. I was very happy to have a license, and a little freedom. My little brother took the keys-in the wee hours of the morning, one night-and rolled the car. It was a total loss.
I was on a bicycle for about a year-riding about 30 miles a day, when I was going to a downtown Junior College-before I was able to borrow some money from my Dad-to try and get another car.
He acted "like the bank"-gave me a payment schedule and "charged me 3%". I paid it all off, through working-a `75 Honda Civic.
Most-if not ALL 16 year old, young men-think they are bulletproof. The automobile is the biggest cause of death for 'all the young doods'.. You WILL 'take on the personality' of whatever you are driving-if not at first, "in time". 360+ RWHP, and a 29-38,000.00 car-is waayyy too much car for a teenager -even if you have over indulgent, 'discretionary income' folks . I think a nice, pre owned V6 Mustang, would be a great way for you to get involved in a Mustang community. It will cost far less than a GT, it will be cheaper to insure, it will still "get you in the door", with any local Mustang Club-as has been suggested.
Just call this reply-"some sage advice, from an older dood-with "alot more experience at Life , than you"-but also from the standpoint of an older guy that is just giving you some friendly input, based on all of my collective experiences. I've had my license for 36 years, now. I am on my 6th Mustang. I didn't own my first Mustang, until I was 44 years young.
I promise-I'm not suggesting that you "wait as long as I did"-that's a 'longer' story than I have the time or the inclination to 'go into'.
Welcome, and choose wisely.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

It's true. I thought I was bullet proof until put my car underneath a truck.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraco
I'm pretty sure I'm older than you but heehee sure!!
that's ok! younger sister then? I'm 27.

I meant the kid talking about everyone has BMWs and expensive cars. so they could buy me one too, lol

Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I greatly appreciate everyones advice and I'm not one to throw it away but I've been over this before with my parents, my car for school to this point has been a Porsche carrera which is my fathers weekend car so it's unused during week days I think I can handle a mustang and really want the GT it's been my dream car ever since they went future/retro in 2005 Im not allowed to buy used as my parents wanna get me a new car I choose a car I'd be happy with and would enjoy through college and post grad school , as I understand you're points of view I would appreciate if you saw it from mine,i'm fairly more responsible then many kids my age maintain a great GPA I'm not a party fiend and I do know that owning a car is like having a loaded gun, I made this topic because I wanted to be aware of any flaws the car may have not for you everyone to tell me I was too young for the car as I said I do appreciate the input but my mind is fairly made up
Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
that's ok! younger sister then? I'm 27.

I meant the kid talking about everyone has BMWs and expensive cars. so they could buy me one too, lol
I just figured that oops! I on cold meds maybe I shouldn't take NyQuil doing the day!
Loraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

get a v6 if you want a new one , hey my first car was a 70 mach1 351 cleveland !!!and i did plenty of stupid crap in that car ,but thank God i survived and didn't kill myself , just gotta respect the car and the power !!! ...........
Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Dont take everyones advice as they are trying to put you down, as said you should like you can handle a new GT and you sound responsible so dont worry about it.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

If you are used to driving a Porsche than you are probably good to go.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Hey if your parents are buying it for you than shy a GT??? Can you say Super snake!!! Go for the gold and don't settle for anything else.
GT1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #27

You'll love it. Congrats
sugarprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarprobe
You'll love it. Congrats
Thank you is there any 2011 gt owners that have an complains at all?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colde View Post
Thank you is there any 2011 gt owners that have an complains at all?
The car is not perfect. There are people having issues with the clutch, strange engine noise and what not. But thats what warranties are for. For the amount sold there is more good than bad but people usually post the bad over the good cause the ones that don't have problems are out enjoying them. All cars have good and bad. I really don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #30

Region: California
If you want the GT, go for it. If you can handle the Carrera GT, you'll be fine. Everyone here is being safety conscious, I don't fault them. My first car was a 650cc motorcycle at 15. I drove it in the sun, rain and snow. I did more stupid things on that bike than I ever did in the next 14 years... And I never got a ticket or wrecked. If your overwhelming concern is reliability and customer complaints, you could go with a few different variations of the GT for a better fit and polish than straight out of the factory. Saleen, Steeda, Roush, SMS... Or a Shelby.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRShelbyGT500
If you want the GT, go for it. If you can handle the Carrera GT, you'll be fine. Everyone here is being safety conscious, I don't fault them. My first car was a 650cc motorcycle at 15. I drove it in the sun, rain and snow. I did more stupid things on that bike than I ever did in the next 14 years... And I never got a ticket or wrecked. If your overwhelming concern is reliability and customer complaints, you could go with a few different variations of the GT for a better fit and polish than straight out of the factory. Saleen, Steeda, Roush, SMS... Or a Shelby.
I agree it actually sounds like your better off going with a Shelby not a big price difference either.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Hm it's something to ponder although for the price jump from 33,000 to 40 is a bit steep that's entering BMW 3 series prices, and the shelby is an animal of a car
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRShelbyGT500
Also since I will be ordering a 2012 the boss could be considered
Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #34

$20k from GT - Shelby is alot. Don't get me wrong I wish I could afford the GT500. Also the Boss is gonna be marked way up. If money isn't a factor then hell ya go for it.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colde View Post
Also since I will be ordering a 2012 the boss could be considered
Understand-that all of my experience-to you-was NOT in the form of any "put down" . I do know that your parents have indulged the heck outa ya with a Porsche? Sheesh .
I would go for the 2012 Boss 302. If you want to review niggling complaints from current `11 owners-check out my thread-regarding "pluses and minuses"-with the car(s).. Good luck.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2012 mustang