What exhaust system to go with? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
What exhaust system to go with?

I own a 2011 Mustang GT and have done quite a bit of on line research on cat back exhaust systems to replace the stock install. I have done enough on line research to have reached the point I need some real help.

Ideally I need to go and see (that is hear) what each system sounds like. I am not expecting much of a performance improvement. Really looking to hear a much sweeter exhaust note.
So far I have researched Flowmaster, Corsa, Ford Performance Racing, Magnaflow and Borla. No shortage of suppliers and I am sure I have missed some great ones as well.
Any and all feedback is welcome.

I am also interested in the Bama custom tuning system. Any insight on this is also welcome.
Paul
DobieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: What exhaust system to go with?

Welcome aboard Paul,did you try using the search option? Go to the 2011 section and check it out.There are several exhaust threads like yours in there that might help.

I'm running Roush axel backs on my 5.0 and they sound awesome.I had a full exhaust on my 07 and thought it was gonna be hard to go back to just a axelback but after close to 1000 miles these have opened up nicely but are still quiet as hell in the cabin. Matter of fact my buddy told me yesterday that the car was LOUD and It isn't at all in the cabin,so much so that I thought the exhaust was to quiet.I guess the interior on these new 5.0s are made very well.Im loving mine!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

Thanks Dan,

Will do. Rouch is now on the list to compare.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Regular
Supporter

Paul,you are gonna get alot of people sayin to go with Borla or Corsa but why spend that much for a sound when you could achieve that with a $399 or cheaper Roush axelback and the have no drone what so ever in any RPM. Go to the dealer and check out one of their Roush cars on the lot,that's how I did the test sound before I bought mine.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Sound Advice. No pun intended. Thanks Dan.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Regular
Supporter

No problem brother that's why these forums are so great.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

I hate being so general buddy and really not being all that helpful but the truth is.........when it comes to the sound..."to each his own" lol
yah gota see what is good for you budget wise and sound wise.

like dan said why spend that extra money.....unless you have it lol or unless you just have to have that exhaust system.
ive heard great things about bassani but they are mad expensive but i have heard great things about roush as well.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

I went with the Magnaflow Muffler deletes , they are not mad loud as one would expect and not as expensive as other options and sound great . I like that they eliminate the ugly mufflers sticking out the back + they are also lighter than stock - each stock muffler weighs 21 lbs !

I would highly recomend the Bama tunes with an intake ,seriously improves the power and potential of these cars. I did a C&L intake and Bamatunes and the car is a BEAST .

However to get the full benefit of an aftermarket exhaust you have to drive with the windows down BRRRRR , and turn up the heat .
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have a stainless steel works retro style catch 3 inch. Sounds just a little deeper at isle than stock but when accelerating it sounds nice. Really throaty and muscle car like. When cruising on the highway it is pretty quiet. O am very pleased.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry about mid spelling above damn I phone autocorrect. I meant cat back not catch and idle not isle.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
Regular
Supporter

The interior of these new 2011s really quiets the cabin noise also.

Here is a comparison of the Roush next to stock .
Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Im in the same situation. Stock is too quiet, i need my stang to turn heads. I wanted a borla atak cat back but its 1800 alone for parts not including taxes or shipping. Im thinkin roush or corsa now. I might go to my local dealership and hear how one of their roush cars sound. Online sound never compares to in person.
mylilpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilpny View Post
Im in the same situation. Stock is too quiet, i need my stang to turn heads. I wanted a borla atak cat back but its 1800 alone for parts not including taxes or shipping. Im thinkin roush or corsa now. I might go to my local dealership and hear how one of their roush cars sound. Online sound never compares to in person.
The Roush has a nice low rumble at idle,crusing speed is about the same with no drone and when you get on them they scream. On the inside of the car with the windows up you still get that comfortable feeling because you can barely hear them at idle or crusing which I like but my buddy came out of nowhere the other night and said,"Man,that thing is LOUD"!

We are gonna do a inside and out exhaust vid soon and I will get around to posting it.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

The Roush has a nice low rumble at idle,crusing speed is about the same with no drone and when you get on them they scream. On the inside of the car with the windows up you still get that comfortable feeling because you can barely hear them at idle or crusing which I like but my buddy came out of nowhere the other night and said,"Man,that thing is LOUD"!

We are gonna do a inside and out exhaust vid soon and I will get around to posting it.
What roush package do you have?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
The interior of these new 2011s really quiets the cabin noise also.

Here is a comparison of the Roush next to stock .
LoL look at the size of those stock cans - I have mine in the living room next to my intake ha - wife says apt is filling up with your car parts .

BTW the Roush axle or cat back is a good choice for the $ and sound - I just wanted something a bit more agressive and thought the Borlas were overpriced . Now I want more , Next long tubes and midpipe ...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ View Post
LoL look at the size of those stock cans - I have mine in the living room next to my intake ha - wife says apt is filling up with your car parts .

BTW the Roush axle or cat back is a good choice for the $ and sound - I just wanted something a bit more agressive and thought the Borlas were overpriced . Now I want more , Next long tubes and midpipe ...

Have you actually heard your car from the outside? Only reason I ask is because I had a full exhaust on my 07 and thought this new one was to quiet until my buddy commented on how loud it was. I'm telling you,this interior quiets it down big time.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Have you actually heard your car from the outside? Only reason I ask is because I had a full exhaust on my 07 and thought this new one was to quiet until my buddy commented on how loud it was. I'm telling you,this interior quiets it down big time.
agree on that they did a great job with the cabin . No I Havent really heard it from the outside - drive with windows down through tunnels does that count ? Didn't think it was too loud .I'll have to get someone to drive it back and forth by me so I can check it out My wife says my cat can hear me coming from down the block but cats have really good hearing .
Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if its sold through ford or fordracing contact tousleyfordparts.com they sell OEM ford parts and ford racing stuff for 10% above cost, usually they have GREAT prices. Tell them you are on "the mustang forum" and you heard they have a good discount.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
Regular
Supporter

I thought the same thing until my buddy said just cruising next to me it was loud as hell from the inside of his fox. Its that blessed 4V......my cobra had flow masters only and was way louder than my 07 with a full exhaust.That cobra would shake the mirror in the downstairs bathroom and vibrate the whole floor of my sons room when I started it up in the garage.

So yes,I think the interior of these cars plays a huge part in why we think they don't sound loud.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

DAN- what about those separately attached tips-on the Roush? Is the fitment okay? Any leakage?
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #21
Regular
Supporter

None whatsoever.....even without the clamps. Very good quality and the finish is awesome.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you, Sir.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Is there a difference between the squares tips and the round tips? Square tips more expensive
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #24
Regular
Supporter

The round tips are what comes with the kit.I believe the square tips are made to fit the Roush body kit. I personally don't care for the square tips.........save that **** for a Lexus or something like that.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I am sure by now you already have your exhaust in place, however for future reference, I installed a hushpower for the 2011 GT, it sounds amazing, quiet and very minor (if any) resonance. The sound is moderate, it will not wake up your neighbors, but will turn heads and give a better performance in your GT.
I just love it for under 400USD.
flowmaster hushpower axle-back (very light weight in comparison to the stock
Take care and drive safe.
LCL
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #26

Actually I have been busy with work so far in the new year and have not purchased an exhaust system as yet. Will check out your Hush puppy suggestion.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: What exhaust system to go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobieG View Post
Actually I have been busy with work so far in the new year and have not purchased an exhaust system as yet. Will check out your Hush puppy suggestion.
Thanks
Great,
If you are not looking for something too loud and you want little interior noise in the highway on 6th gear, this is the way to go.
I have tested a few other pipes and they are okay until you engage 6th gear, then you will want to buy a noise reduction earplugs or a fighter pilot helmet to support the drumming effect, which is BAD, that is why after 4 months of extensive research, I opt for the hush puppy, man what a great sound for the price.

I called in autoanything.com and got mine for 384US, the cheapest I found. It was not available in the web site though, I think they have not updated yet, since it is custom made for the GT 2011.

Also check out the some videos/sounds on youtube, but in reality, the sound in the videos are not the same as in the car, it sounds WAY MUCH BETTER in the car itself, and it only took me 20 minutes to install them. (on a lift)

Take care and good luck,
Be safe,
Luiz
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #28

Appreciate the input. Thanks.
Now I am on a mission to see it (reads hear it) in person.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #29

Region: Europe
I went for borla, two weeks already. First week was very annoying to get used to loud sound. But in general its best one of the sounds i have heard exhausts on youtube
martynas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobieG View Post
Appreciate the input. Thanks.
Now I am on a mission to see it (reads hear it) in person.
Excellent,
Good luck,
Luiz
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

From what I have read the axle backs are worth 5HP, or less!!! Full exhaust is supposed to be worth 15-30HP, depending on the tune, and you are supposed to get a tune when you do it.

The sound is awesome. I have the Roush axle backs with the square tips to fit the Roush valence. The sound is awesome with absolutely no drone. Its actually quiet on the interstate driving and non- load situations, but hit it and the exhaust is very load.... I love it. But as one poster said before its a personal preference, search sound clips or hear it in person before you decide... if possible
Roush # 11-0306,Roush Front and Rear Brake Kit, Roush Exhaust with Square tips, 20" wheels with Cooper Tires Roush Billet Grille matching lower 3 piece, Matte Black side and top stripes, White Face Gauge cluster, Convertible Light Bar
Purchased 27Dec2010
Thegabrielles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

From what i hear roush is incredible. No drone, power when you want it. Thats why i just bought mine last night
Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: What exhaust system to go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegabrielles View Post
From what I have read the axle backs are worth 5HP, or less!!! Full exhaust is supposed to be worth 15-30HP, depending on the tune, and you are supposed to get a tune when you do it.

The sound is awesome. I have the Roush axle backs with the square tips to fit the Roush valence. The sound is awesome with absolutely no drone. Its actually quiet on the interstate driving and non- load situations, but hit it and the exhaust is very load.... I love it. But as one poster said before its a personal preference, search sound clips or hear it in person before you decide... if possible
Firstly, what a nice car you have as your avatar, really sweet.

Yes, agreed about the roush, the decision on the hushpower was for four main reasons in my case:
1- no tuning needed, 2- very low cost (easy install), 3- moderate noise, 4- no drone.

There are many out there, it is really a matter of taste and me, I am really so tired about TOO MUCH noise for the past 22 yrs dealing with high speed and vibration...I can't take it anymore! LOL

Stay safe,
Luiz
Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Braztang... I have never liked a loud car while cruising or idling. Even my 82GT with 533 N/A HP was quiet at Idle and cruise. I used to uncap the header when I took it to the track, funning thing is that is slowed it down. To me a car that is truly street legal and is fast is awesome. I knew a guy that had a 79 fairmont with a 351 in it, full interior with a cage. It ran 10's and you could not even hear it idling. Loved the sleeper. Of course my mustang is bright red and full of spoilers and "bling" so the sleeper thing is out the window.

Of course there are a bunch of choices because we all have different taste. Pick what is best for you, thats all that counts!!!
Roush # 11-0306,Roush Front and Rear Brake Kit, Roush Exhaust with Square tips, 20" wheels with Cooper Tires Roush Billet Grille matching lower 3 piece, Matte Black side and top stripes, White Face Gauge cluster, Convertible Light Bar
Purchased 27Dec2010
Thegabrielles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegabrielles View Post
Braztang... I have never liked a loud car while cruising or idling. Even my 82GT with 533 N/A HP was quiet at Idle and cruise. I used to uncap the header when I took it to the track, funning thing is that is slowed it down. To me a car that is truly street legal and is fast is awesome. I knew a guy that had a 79 fairmont with a 351 in it, full interior with a cage. It ran 10's and you could not even hear it idling. Loved the sleeper. Of course my mustang is bright red and full of spoilers and "bling" so the sleeper thing is out the window.

Of course there are a bunch of choices because we all have different taste. Pick what is best for you, thats all that counts!!!
GREAT CAR you have,
I just bought my first stang, however if all goes fine in the next few years being back home from years of duty, I will be getting a ROUSH or a COBRA in the future.
All the horse power I ever endured was on an aricraft and motorcycles before, so it is time to safely "fly" on 4 wheels now.
Hope we can meet one day, if you ever drop in NYC, let me know.
Are you on facebook?
Regards,
braztang

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust