2011 GT 5.0 Engine issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
2011 GT 5.0 Engine issues

Any one with the 2011GT having problems with their engines, any blown engines yet, and piston ring issues.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: 2011 GT 5.0 Engine issues

I think it's too early to tell, a lot of people are hearing an engine tick at idle but I think they all just do that naturally lol.

I hear these new 5.0s are built to last. Time will tell.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

A few guys on S197forum already had engine replacement, I am also a member of that forum. Now I'm scared to get my 2011GT and think I should wait for a later year when Ford fixes the kinks. Oh and on an other note I read that those cars with the Brembo brake package actually has 1 piston calipers in the rear and some people are complaining. Big deal, the 2011gt with Brembos stops way better than the Camaro with Brembos in front and rear, do you believe that, it's true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

No issues for me runs great . I have not yet had my first oil change as I'm only at about 3200 miles and I got a notice to go in for oil change / sceduled maintainence at 5 K . I had heard on other boards of issues with ticking after first oil change ? People had changed the oil after like 1 k and then had a ticking sound valve noise ? I dont know if anything ever came of that , over sensitive owners ? Perhaps
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I wasn't-would 'never' be-the dood that waited 5000 miles for an oil change. I changed mine at 800 miles, 2800 miles. It has about 5100 trouble free engine miles, now. Even though a manufacturer indicates that you can "go to 5000 miles, before the first oil change"-mine is a daily driver. My Mustang is the only transportation-outside of occasionally riding my motorcycle-or my bicycle-to work. I have always erred on the side of 'more is better' -when it comes to changing oil. The city miles-some short distances-make it dirty pretty fast. That's my experience.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit
Even though a manufacturer indicates that you can "go to 5000 miles, before the first oil change"-mine is a daily driver.
I thought with the new 5.0's Ford scheduled every 10,000 for oil changes? That's what the service schedule says. What benefit do you get for doing it early? If the oil is still good I'd only worry about the filter.

I've only got about 3000 miles on my 11 GT and have had no problems with the engine. In fact, the only issue I've had with the car so far is that some of the paint in part of the engraving on my shifter knob came off. I plan to put a Barton shifter in anyway with their pistol grip so it's not big deal.

Anyone have 20-30k miles on their 5.0's yet?
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Johngt

A lot of times its the injectors making the ticking noise. There's a few does engines doing that and the techs say it is normal.
Johngt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

i think a lot of those :engine issues " will turn out to be from the guys who are at the track as soon as they get their cars ,.beating the crap outta' them before there broke in ... just my 2 cents ....
Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
i think a lot of those :engine issues " will turn out to be from the guys who are at the track as soon as they get their cars ,.beating the crap outta' them before there broke in ... just my 2 cents ....
I think breaking in is a myth. Used to be you needed to break in a cam but with rollers it isn't necessary. A lot of engine builders will say to drive it like you stole it from the second you start it up.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

LOL , True , but I personally like to put a few thousand miles on them ......
then I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
I thought with the new 5.0's Ford scheduled every 10,000 for oil changes? That's what the service schedule says. What benefit do you get for doing it early? If the oil is still good I'd only worry about the filter.

I've only got about 3000 miles on my 11 GT and have had no problems with the engine. In fact, the only issue I've had with the car so far is that some of the paint in part of the engraving on my shifter knob came off. I plan to put a Barton shifter in anyway with their pistol grip so it's not big deal.

Anyone have 20-30k miles on their 5.0's yet?
Again-and maybe this is "just me"-I change my oil often. The 11.5 mile commute to work-then the car sitting all day-and driving it 11.5 miles home-dirties up the oil in a hurry. My initial oil change is always based on my own "break in" schedule.. I haven't flogged my car either . And I agree that some of the folks that decided to do that early on-will be having difficulties ? or, have increased the possibility of those, happening..
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I change my oil once a year in March before spring time, usually its about 2k-3k on the oil if that. I use a regular ford filter (one of the better filters out there) and fully synth oil
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

I think this engine tick os getting blown way out of proportion. All these people reading **** on forums posted by alot of first time brand new mustang owners and getting freaked out. One day at a time......is your car doing anything now? Then don't worry about it,that's what warranties are for.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mine runs like a dream and purrs like a kitten. I think it runs better than the other 4 mustangs I used to own.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster View Post
Mine runs like a dream and purrs like a kitten. I think it runs better than the other 4 mustangs I used to own.
Amen......mine too!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I change my oil every 7k or so miles using synthetic oil.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
Good point, It is always good to break in even new engines the right way, I just remembered, I am beating the crap out of my hot rod cams at only 486 miles after install, and the same Royal Purple oil from 4500 miles ago.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok going to the dealership and having your oil changed is one thing, when you do it yourself like a chemist and dip 2 fingers and rub them together to test for break down, it is then you will stop listening to the so call experts and change your oil on a more frequent basis. Mitsubishi evos require a 2500 mile oil change, why because this is based on harsh driving. I beat on my car and after 4000 miles the oil looks like liquid asphalt, so out it goes regardless of what the dealership or factory says. I like my engine swimming in liquid gold.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911
Ok going to the dealership and having your oil changed is one thing, when you do it yourself like a chemist and dip 2 fingers and rub them together to test for break down, it is then you will stop listening to the so call experts and change your oil on a more frequent basis. Mitsubishi evos require a 2500 mile oil change, why because this is based on harsh driving. I beat on my car and after 4000 miles the oil looks like liquid asphalt, so out it goes regardless of what the dealership or factory says. I like my engine swimming in liquid gold.
I'm only 16 and I've done quite a few oil changes on my dads Porsche every 1750 miles o-0 and that oil is nasty every time I guess it all depends on the vehicle and who changes the oil and the drivers preference, i am interested in this "engine noise" though and it seems as it's a common enough problem, but it sounds like most people who complain about it got the oil change at the dealer?
Colde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

To me oil changes depend more on your driving habbit with that particular vehicle. My ranger gets changed every 5k miles. It doesn't get driven hard so it still has good oil at that point. Our new fusion is about that same. F150 will get it about every 3-5k depending, but it doesn't get driven a lot. Mustang will get it every 2-3k. I dont drive it a lot, but when I do i'm having "fun" so it dont let oil go too long in it. Bmw will get it about every 3k mostly because it has such high mileage on it.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
To me oil changes depend more on your driving habbit with that particular vehicle. My ranger gets changed every 5k miles. It doesn't get driven hard so it still has good oil at that point. Our new fusion is about that same. F150 will get it about every 3-5k depending, but it doesn't get driven a lot. Mustang will get it every 2-3k. I dont drive it a lot, but when I do i'm having "fun" so it dont let oil go too long in it. Bmw will get it about every 3k mostly because it has such high mileage on it.
Yeah-you go ahead and 'drive it like you stole it'-`right out of the gate -I'm sticking with what has worked for me-with a break-in phase for the last 15 vehicles I have had the great pleasure/fortune of driving/owning...
Once again-"let your conscience be your guide".. I know this thread started, regarding a perceived engine "noise" -and oil changing was mentioned-hence my .02...Since my 5.0 'hamster wheel is well oiled'-that bullet is as smooth as a sewing machine-albeit, a very expensive sewing machine..

Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

No offense guys, but when I started this thread I was more referring to what I read from S197forum. Some guys on there had piston rings and other piston related issues, and 1 guy had to have his engine replaced.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

The bumper to bumper 75k warranty (or 6 years) was an extra 15 bucks a month. Now I don't care what happens to the engine
Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #24
Regular
Supporter

Because of this thread I took mine out this morning and beat her harder than ever before and she runs like a champ.......
Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Because of this thread I took mine out this morning and beat her harder than ever before and she runs like a champ.......
lol, that's no reason to beat on your car. Glad she's still running like a champ
Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Keep me motivated to still get the 5.0. I am going to the dealer on Sunday 01/23/2011, to see if I can place an order for one with 6sp manual and an engine and see if I can get it under $30,000.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #27
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911 View Post
Keep me motivated to still get the 5.0. I am going to the dealer on Sunday 01/23/2011, to see if I can place an order for one with 6sp manual and an engine and see if I can get it under $30,000.

When I buy cars I look at them as what they could or can be and I dont get wrapped up in the hype of this one is better because its a saleen or a Roush and what not.When I saw the 2011 the first thought was what can I do to it......I already knew what I was gonna do.Im not gonna spend a ton of money for a body kit,suspension mods and a bolt on blower when I could do that myself.

When I went to the dealer they asked what I was lookin for and I said,"2011 5.0 black,black leather,standard,3.73s and Im gonna be picky so if you dont have that I dont want to buy" I didnt give a crap about wheel size or style,upgraded brakes,stereo upgrades or anything of that nature even though it came with the electronics and comfort package.I have more respect for the guy that makes the car his own even if he doesnt install the mods himself vs the guy who buys a Roush,Saleen or GT500 right off the lot.I will continue to customize my car warranty or not and worry about the little things later.

Oh......dont get caught up in the hype of reading all these posts of the 2011 gremlins.Its like the news gettin people all freaked out about a couple deadly bottles of tylenol that have been tampered with.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I buy cars I look at them as what they could or can be and I dont get wrapped up in the hype of this one is better because its a saleen or a Roush and what not.When I saw the 2011 the first thought was what can I do to it......I already knew what I was gonna do.Im not gonna spend a ton of money for a body kit,suspension mods and a bolt on blower when I could do that myself.

When I went to the dealer they asked what I was lookin for and I said,"2011 5.0 black,black leather,standard,3.73s and Im gonna be picky so if you dont have that I dont want to buy" I didnt give a crap about wheel size or style,upgraded brakes,stereo upgrades or anything of that nature even though it came with the electronics and comfort package.I have more respect for the guy that makes the car his own even if he doesnt install the mods himself vs the guy who buys a Roush,Saleen or GT500 right off the lot.I will continue to customize my car warranty or not and worry about the little things later.

Oh......dont get caught up in the hype of reading all these posts of the 2011 gremlins.Its like the news gettin people all freaked out about a couple deadly bottles of tylenol that have been tampered with.
Ummmm I Love Tylenol. Uh Oh. I hear ya bro. I see myself adding those huge bear brakes with 6 pot calipers front and rear since my car will be seeing track time and maybe auto X for fun. Also I am installing the T2 torsen diff from ford racing, it goes for about $550. but is well worth it on corners, and maybe KW v3 coilovers, and Fays 2 watts link setup. I am going all out.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dan-that just cuz' you're cheap... if you had the fifty large-you'd belly up for the tuner car-all them mods would already be done...

Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #30

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911
I ordered mine in october, got it for Christmas and walked out paying $30,000. This was after TT&L and I got the 3.73 rear end gearing and Brembo package. Manual transmission of course. My thing is pay for performance now, then all the bells and whistles later. Honestly, I don't play the radio in mine for the sound of the engine.

Good luck to you.
Mike1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #31

no problems here but only 600 miles, will keep up on any issue with the 11.
STANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
The bumper to bumper 75k warranty (or 6 years) was an extra 15 bucks a month. Now I don't care what happens to the engine
I know this thread is old but just an update, no joke... My engine blew at 74,988 miles... 12 shy of his warrantee I was talking about back in the day...

A bearing went out and Livermore ford was fantastic, replaced it no questions asked. I have about 9k miles on the new engine now. It was weird having to break it in again and also having less miles on the engine than on the first one when it was new.

Best part, new engine has same warrantee options
Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I am not going to give you the "don't mod if you don't want problems" speech. I have modifications and an aftermarket tune. I think from what I have seen in the forums and datalogs it boils down to this.

1. Use a reputable tuner and datalog your results RIGHT AWAY. If you can dyno tune, do it.

2. Don't beat the crap out of your car.

You should have very few issues if you follow those common sense rules. If you want to break those rules then just keep a good $10k in savings for fixing what breaks.
2014 GT Premium. Cobra Jet Intake with monoblade throttle body and FRPP CAI. Ford Racing Sport axle backs. Pypes off road H pipe. Numerous appearance mods, it was a plain blue Mustang when I bought it.
ResilientMidget is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 gt