Oil changes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Oil changes

Hey ya'all I took my 2011 gt in for first oil change yesterday. If you don't know they take 8 quarts of oil. So be ready to pay a little more. Talking to the mustang tech he told me they have to use more oil because of the G's these cars pull.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gster
Hey ya'all I took my 20011 gt in for first oil change yesterday. If you don't know they take 8 quarts of oil. So be ready to pay a little more. Talking to the mustang tech he told me they have to use more oil because of the G's these cars pull.
Well not really. They got an oil re-design for that issue. The ford "tech" is spouting off at the mouth. More oil means extended oil drain intervals and I am sure something to do with valves use oil to extend the powerband. I know someone well versed in the car will chime in shortly. Gs isn't the reason why tho
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Oil changes

the reason for the higher volume of oil is more than one, the first reason is simple, the more oil the better. The longer it can last, the better it can spread the cooling and such, and the more oil the massive 4v heads have to suck oil up with.

My 03 cobra takes 6 but will hold up to 9. Some say my car sucks oil up into the heads so fast at higher rpms that it can go dry in corners so that is a plus as well so thats another reason they have more oil. All are good things though and you can go much longer between oil changes so it should all even out.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the reason for the higher volume of oil is more than one, the first reason is simple, the more oil the better. The longer it can last, the better it can spread the cooling and such, and the more oil the massive 4v heads have to suck oil up with.

My 03 cobra takes 6 but will hold up to 9. Some say my car sucks oil up into the heads so fast at higher rpms that it can go dry in corners so that is a plus as well so thats another reason they have more oil. All are good things though and you can go much longer between oil changes so it should all even out.
thanks,that was really informative,thanks again
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Spector is very knowledgeable about mustangs. I heed his advice. He is right more often than wrong
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV

That's basically what this tech was saying about not having dry corners when u step on it or go into a turn hard. Even though it probably can go longer between changes I'll still do it every 3000 miles to keep my baby in great condition.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:

That's basically what this tech was saying about not having dry corners when u step on it or go into a turn hard. Even though it probably can go longer between changes I'll still do it every 3000 miles to keep my baby in great condition.
3000 mile oil change intervals are overkill unless you are running wal mart oil. Put a good quality synthetic and follow their particular oil change cycle. And be consistent. Too many oil changes just makes them Arabs richer and the environment worse. Oil technology has improved 10fold. Just cause you change your oil often doesn't mean you have better protection. You are fooling yourself if you believe that. The oils additive pack is what's important and even conventional oil is good to over 5000 miles. Even the walmart brand can go further than that.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
3000 mile oil change intervals are overkill unless you are running wal mart oil. Put a good quality synthetic and follow their particular oil change cycle. And be consistent. Too many oil changes just makes them Arabs richer and the environment worse. Oil technology has improved 10fold. Just cause you change your oil often doesn't mean you have better protection.
i second that lol
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Synthetics are a requirement in the new 5.0 now. Synthetics definitely help extend the life out to 10000 miles like they recommend in the manual.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

At least your local dealership knows to use 8 quarts. Early on several dealerships were sending them out with 4 or 5 quarts not even knowing it's low.

As far as changing intervals...if it's used daily I'd recommend 5k. If it's like my cars and just sits around...change it when it needs. I have ~3500 miles on the current oil, checked it this past weekend and it's still as clean as when I put it in. Full synthetic, and I'm not worried about how long it's been in there. I believe it was changed sometime in August or September...probably before.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

3000 mile oil change intervals are overkill unless you are running wal mart oil. Put a good quality synthetic and follow their particular oil change cycle. And be consistent. Too many oil changes just makes them Arabs richer and the environment worse. Oil technology has improved 10fold. Just cause you change your oil often doesn't mean you have better protection. You are fooling yourself if you believe that. The oils additive pack is what's important and even conventional oil is good to over 5000 miles. Even the walmart brand can go further than that.
Go ahead and change at 10000 miles. I've seen to many friends think the same way trying to save a buck, then they had to buy new engines. They saved quite a bit didn't they? All my mustangs have never had one problem, my 95 had over 200000 miles on it. Drive it like you stole it and take care of it like you paid a million dollars for it. Today's engines run harder and are squeezing out more horse power per square inch, so they run hotter. If u think walmart oil is good? U might be a redneck!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:

Go ahead and change at 10000 miles. I've seen to many friends think the same way trying to save a buck, then they had to buy new engines. They saved quite a bit didn't they? All my mustangs have never had one problem, my 95 had over 200000 miles on it. Drive it like you stole it and take care of it like you paid a million dollars for it. Today's engines run harder and are squeezing out more horse power per square inch, so they run hotter. If u think walmart oil is good? U might be a redneck!
I don't use that stuff. Strictly amsoil for me. From filters to gear oil to grease. Always and forever amsoil. I was just saying if your gonna change oil at 3000 miles there is no point in using the good stuff
Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

It is still, "an individual choice"/ "what you think is best, based on experience"-I say . I come from the 'it gets dirtier with short hops inner city, some highway' school myself. I do think that the modern formulations/additives/semi-synthetic blends, allow for longer oil life-in general. I warm it up, and drive 12 miles, one way to work-where it sits all day-and drive it home-`same distance. It sure seems to get dirty in a hurry . I do the 2500-3000 mile interval, myself. I've always had very good service with this interval-and zero problems .
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit
It is still, "an individual choice"/ "what you think is best, based on experience"-I say . I come from the 'it gets dirtier with short hops inner city, some highway' school myself. I do think that the modern formulations/additives/semi-synthetic blends, allow for longer oil life-in general. I warm it up, and drive 12 miles, one way to work-where it sits all day-and drive it home-`same distance. It sure seems to get dirty in a hurry . I do the 2500-3000 mile interval, myself. I've always had very good service with this interval-and zero problems .
If it ain't broke
Old 02-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

Well here is my $.02 with 36 yrs driving experience and 40 yrs around equipment. You really have to look at how you drive and in what environment you drive in. Long hi way trips across Arizona and New Mexico in the summer is going to be different that the same across Oregon, Washington or Montana. Also short trips in LA traffic in the winter are different than short trips around New York now. One can't say one thing and make it cover everything. You have to look at what brakes down the oil (Yes the newer oils are better than yesteryears), but also what dirties the oil. Carbon is the most common contaminate in oil as long as something is not shedding metal. This carbon can increase from using sub quality gas, chipping (that may lead to over fueling), and running the engine hard before it is warmed up (passing by the rings). People should also remember that auto manufactures to not keep the investors happy by having the cars and engines last for ever. OEM maintenance recommendations only need to make everything last a little past the warranty. The two cases in points that I can share is my '86 Bronco II that had 223,000 mile on it with the oil changed every 3K, a flush every third change and an additive with the oil. Also my dads Oldsmobile that he changed the oil by OEM recommendations and replaced the engine at 115,000 miles. He drove it hwy like a little old man and I took my Bronco II 4-wheeling and towed trailer over the OEM recommendations. (I also tended to drive faster than he did).
With all of this being said, on my new Mustang I plan on full synthetic and every $5k. Remember that there are more oil passages for the 4 cams and the var valve timing. I also feel that a little extra oil is worth the protection considering what the car costs.
As for the original post; these are sporty cars and when driven spiritedly it is not likely that the oil will stay at the pump pick-up. This is why drivers that tend to drive their older cars in the same fashion would change out the oil pan for a higher capacity. The new V6 has much larger heads and the capacity to hold more oil in them when driven harder. Also more oil available helps cool the oil and the engine. Remember that a significant amount of cooling at the ware surfaces is from the oil and not the water jacket.
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

this may be off topic a bit but does the 5.0 have a high oil temp shut dowm program of some sort in the ECU where it puts the car in limp mode till the oil temp is back within a given range ?
2011 5.0 GT Kona Blue 6MT 3:73 Brembo and a few other trinkets on her
Ordered 10/11/2010 Built 11/12/2010 held at ramp5P till 11/29/2010 Delivered 12/17/2010 Skip shift disabled 12/27/2010
Rodmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

I see from the post I did during my lunch really didn’t say what I had on my mind, so let me bring this up. The only truly definitive way of defining when you should change your oil, is through oil analysis. Start out with what you feel is the correct mileage interval and have the oil changed. Collect a sample and send it to a lab to have an analysis preformed. I would suggest doing this at least three times before you decide to change the interval (note: if the analysis comes back that you have a problem, change your interval). As a general rule, the oil is still in good shape when it is changed and has not broken down. Most problems people see with their oil are contamination. Most OEM engine oil filtration is imaginable at best. If you could remove a vast majority of the contaminates from the oil, in most cases the oil would last well past 10,000 miles. Most synthetics would last the life of the car. However the cost to remove that amount of contaminates is usually higher than the cost of the oil.
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
Road Trip!

I have an AMSOIL by-pass and full flow filtration system. It has done away with oil changes for me. I merely change the filters and add oil. And blackstone does oil analysis. AMSOIL gave me 5 analysis included with the system.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodmoe
this may be off topic a bit but does the 5.0 have a high oil temp shut dowm program of some sort in the ECU where it puts the car in limp mode till the oil temp is back within a given range ?
I don't think it does, if your getting high oil temps something is wrong. I'm sure there some kind of light would come on.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #20

Region: Louisiana

The manual for my 2011 GT says to change the oil when the message center says it is time. No mention of milage.
ray bouquet is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT