I got the bug.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Region: Illinois
I got the bug....

I live in chicago, and have a 2010 v6 mustang premium. I would like to start giving it more power, what should i do? where in chicago should i do it? what should i expect to pay for it?
i really appreciate all your help!
momo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: I got the bug....

cold air intake
tuner
exhaust / true duals
gears / pulleys
Old 02-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

is there anyone good in chicago that can do this? also what is a good price for all of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I would suggest that you 'google' Mustang Performance Shop(s), in your area. You can also get alot of information on parts cost/order the parts-through looking those parts up at a Mustang parts/accessories website, sych as American Muscle.com. Keep us posted with your progress!
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit
I would suggest that you 'google' Mustang Performance Shop(s), in your area. You can also get alot of information on parts cost/order the parts-through looking those parts up at a Mustang parts/accessories website, sych as American Muscle.com. Keep us posted with your progress!
I'm doing that already. Just not sure of the budget I should expect for a CIA and tune installed. I think I could get the actual CIA for $275 is that fair? No idea on the tuner yet! Too many people worried about the snow.
Any advice?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo1978 View Post
I'm doing that already. Just not sure of the budget I should expect for a CIA and tune installed. I think I could get the actual CIA for $275 is that fair? No idea on the tuner yet! Too many people worried about the snow.
Any advice?
That sounds like a fair price for the CAI. Expect a tuner to cost from 299.-370. SCT-with the Bama chips support, at AM-is a good deal.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #7

ok, so just got off the phone with a local speed shop. they told me all i really need is the magnaflow 16576 cat back single side exit, and the k &n cia 63. they also said the warranty on the muffler and intake only would be void, but then would be picked up by the new exhaust and intake system....
they told me the tune wasnt really worth all the effort and cost, and i would see a vast improvement in the car just from those two upgrades.
the cost for everything installed was $750.
1. good price? its 275 for intake 375 for maganaflow and 100 for install
2. is the advice accurate?
3. he said i would see about 20 more horses under the hood.....sound right?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to JDwoodman

Quote:
ok, so just got off the phone with a local speed shop. they told me all i really need is the magnaflow 16576 cat back single side exit, and the k &n cia 63. they also said the warranty on the muffler and intake only would be void, but then would be picked up by the new exhaust and intake system....
they told me the tune wasnt really worth all the effort and cost, and I would see a vast improvement in the car just from those two upgrades.
the cost for everything installed was $750.
1. good price? its 275 for intake 375 for maganaflow and 100 for install
2. is the advice accurate?
3. he said i would see about 20 more horses under the hood.....sound right?
We have the same car and I can tell you from what I've done that the tune on top of the CAI give a fantastic boost to the power. When I first backed my car out of the garage after I spun the tires accidentally cause of the power I wasn't expecting...

As for your horses I am unsure if the exhaust will really help that much with only single exit....X Pipe or H pipes are always better for horsepower. You will definitely see the power but not quite as much as you could be seeing.

As for the exhaust I got a Magnaflow dual with a Y pipe then had an X pipe made to fit in its place. The sound is great and people at shows really respect the dual. This is what I would do....Cause I'm not into the loud single Exit.

As for cost this is what it all cost me in CA This is including bumper trim and install (I did the CAI and Tune Install Myself):

Dual Exhaust w/ custom X Pipe: $675.00

CAI: $575.00

Tuner: $300

Lemmy know if you want anymore info....
(Current)2012-Black 5.0 Premium Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Stage 2 Kit, ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

(SOLD)2010-Sterling Gray V6 Pony Package (too many mods to list)
JDwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Tune and cai would be the first thing to do.I will show better results than what they told you.The tune will get rid of that throttle lag.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

That all sounds fairly priced.
Be sure that the CAI you are thinking of purchasing-indicates better performance with the tune. This will also take care of any "unmetered" air going to the engine. I would also ask them about other Mustangs in your area that they have had good results with. Usually there will be customer feedback/reviews available to you as well-via the internet.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDwoodman View Post
We have the same car and I can tell you from what I've done that the tune on top of the CAI give a fantastic boost to the power. When I first backed my car out of the garage after I spun the tires accidentally cause of the power I wasn't expecting...

As for your horses I am unsure if the exhaust will really help that much with only single exit....X Pipe or H pipes are always better for horsepower. You will definitely see the power but not quite as much as you could be seeing.

As for the exhaust I got a Magnaflow dual with a Y pipe then had an X pipe made to fit in its place. The sound is great and people at shows really respect the dual. This is what I would do....Cause I'm not into the loud single Exit.

As for cost this is what it all cost me in CA This is including bumper trim and install (I did the CAI and Tune Install Myself):

Dual Exhaust w/ custom X Pipe: $675.00

CAI: $575.00

Tuner: $300

Lemmy know if you want anymore info....
tHANKS A LOT BUDDY. I am glad to hear someone has exact same car. i do have a few more questions:
1. were you concerned at all about voiding the warranty?
2. i was told by a local guy who does it here, that the dual exhaust with two pipes or a magnaflow 16576 catback with single exit would produce the same effect and i did not need the dual muffler..... do you have the dual muffler? can you send me a pic of how it looks? how did they put it in? did they cut a hole or did you get a new back end?
3. the guy who quoted me also said that the tune would not really be neccessary and that im better off with just the cia and exhaust.
4. why did you spend so mch for a cia, i am looking at the k & n series 63 and it is only $275 i saw you spent a lot more...which one did you get?
thanks again so much for all your help!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to JDwoodman

Quote:
tHANKS A LOT BUDDY. I am glad to hear someone has exact same car. i do have a few more questions:
1. were you concerned at all about voiding the warranty?
2. i was told by a local guy who does it here, that the dual exhaust with two pipes or a magnaflow 16576 catback with single exit would produce the same effect and i did not need the dual muffler..... do you have the dual muffler? can you send me a pic of how it looks? how did they put it in? did they cut a hole or did you get a new back end?
3. the guy who quoted me also said that the tune would not really be neccessary and that im better off with just the cia and exhaust.
4. why did you spend so mch for a cia, i am looking at the k & n series 63 and it is only $275 i saw you spent a lot more...which one did you get?
thanks again so much for all your help!
Ok, here goes my list of answers.

1. Personally I'm not worried about the warranty I figure if anything breaks I'll fix it myself...I could also remove all my parts and reset my car to stock in like 4 hours(except the exhaust) So if I ever do need to take it in warranty should look fine...

2. As far as I know you won't get as much Hp boost from a single exit. This is because V6 engine's are split into 2 exhaust manifolds (3 cylinders each) meaning with a single exist your cramming 2 exhaust flows into one. So if you can guess dual allows the engine to breath much clearer. But I still have to say if all you want is a loud sound the single and dual's sound very close to the same.

NOTE: Only an H pipe or X pipe system will really get you that Hp boost your expecting. I saved money by getting a Y pipe system then trading out the Y pipe part with a custom X pipe.

As for install they just trimmed my current bumper to fix the second exhaust. Looks great and I didn't have to buy a bumper piece. PM me and I'll send you some pictures of my setup.

3. If you want real power get a tune AND intake with true dual it will cost more money but say the tune and the intake both give like 15 hp separate putting them together makes them both boosted to 20 meaning all in all you would get like 40 hp!! (Just a random example)

4. I bought mine from a friend he ordered it custom and it actually has a rotor in it that sucks air like a vacuum. He was selling the car soo I just scooped it up off him and he put his stock back on. Yes I will get sued if I smog my car how it is now. lol

Ok, I think I got all ur questions lol pm me if you have any more and soo I can send you the pictures.
(Current)2012-Black 5.0 Premium Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Stage 2 Kit, ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

(SOLD)2010-Sterling Gray V6 Pony Package (too many mods to list)
JDwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #13

should i spend the extra scratch and get the magnaflow 16575 with the dual exhaust and the y pipe (i think its a y pipe) or am i go with the magna flow 16576? i am just after performnance, not looks...
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
should i spend the extra scratch and get the magnaflow 16575 with the dual exhaust and the y pipe (i think its a y pipe) or am i go with the magna flow 16576? i am just after performnance, not looks...
The exhaust is not going to give you any major gains in hp, the true gains from exhaust are appearance and better sound. If you really want to feel real world gains get like the others said a CAI & Tune. I would recommend a package deal from American Muscle. The SCT tuner with custom tunes is the way to go plus free tunes for life, so with each modification you can tune for it. I highly recommend you get Chris Rose to tune for you.

Northern Virginia Mustang Club
Silver Mustang Registry #1045
2010 Brilliant Silver 4.0 V6 Traded and will be missed
2011 Performance White Premium GT 5.0 6MT, 19" Machined Wheels, 3.73 gears, GT500 Axle-Backs, Eibach Pro Springs, Dynojet #'s 387rwhp/380 tq.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #15

thanks for the help
Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

dont be sold on that exhaust just yet man... u cant buy the first exhaust some shop tells u about. go online and listen to different exhausts. have u even heard the one your talking about?? an exhaust isnt something u just slap on your car and hope it sounds good. u might hate it. do some research on ur own first. it took me 3 weeks til i finally found one i wanted. i went with a roush axle back but i have a gt. not sure if they make one for v6 but they should.
mylilpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Real bang for your buck is gears yo will think u bought a new motor I have a 10 gt and I got 3 31 buts it's coming out asap my 69 chevelle ss had 3 55 stock I took them out and put 373 Aw man totally different car I had a 4 10 in my Monte Carlo street car I took them out and put them in
My chevelle lol they never came out talk about bottom end lol but...... U loose top end and gas mileage but who cares bout gas mileage lol
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
O and y'all where very helpful to me as well because I'm lookin to do same thing wit my stang cai tune the while 9
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT