Burning regular gas in a 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Arrow Burning regular gas in a 5.0

Just curious... Anyone been burning Regular gas in their 5.0? If so-what has been your experience, regarding any reduction in performance? Mileage?
I have always opted for using the Premium Unleaded-as Ford says the higher octane will give the best performance.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Re: Burning regular gas in a 5.0

Not me......wont do it.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
Just curious... Anyone been burning Regular gas in their 5.0? If so-what has been your experience, regarding any reduction in performance? Mileage?
I have always opted for using the Premium Unleaded-as Ford says the higher octane will give the best performance.
93 is fine to burn but u can run lower grades.i burn 93 but i also don't drive it all the time.so it's a matter of your what kind of mods u have done.
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Because of all the snow I have put 87 in mine. You can tell it tones the car down a little. I didn't get that dreaded spark knock all my other mustangs use to get. These 5.0's have variable timing so if you want to put 87 in it it won't hurt it. I figured I wasn't going to need all the power with the slick roads.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Mines tuned for 93, wont use regular but these cars will relearn to run on lower octane personally I would not want less power - is the effect that dramatic ? I know with break in time + 93 + Bama tune / CAI this car became a beast - I can really feel the difference .
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to JDwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06mustangmike View Post
93 is fine to burn but u can run lower grades.i burn 93 but i also don't drive it all the time.so it's a matter of your what kind of mods u have done.
I'm jealous I have to use octane boost to even get 93 octane in CA.....Highest they sell at the pump is 91. (This means you should be fine considering its what people have to get here)
(Current)2012-Black 5.0 Premium Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Stage 2 Kit, ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

(SOLD)2010-Sterling Gray V6 Pony Package (too many mods to list)
JDwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDwoodman View Post
I'm jealous I have to use octane boost to even get 93 octane in CA.....Highest they sell at the pump is 91. (This means you should be fine considering its what people have to get here)
wow i didn't know that that sucks
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ View Post
Mines tuned for 93, wont use regular but these cars will relearn to run on lower octane personally I would not want less power - is the effect that dramatic ? I know with break in time + 93 + Bama tune / CAI this car became a beast - I can really feel the difference .
Nice. Haven't done the mods-yet . I just wanted to see "what the rest of the forum" sez. I thought that with the variable valve timing-and the fact that the Factory indicates that you can also run regular gas, if desired-`but with less power -if there were actually folk doing just that..
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

i put 91 in my nissan rouge lol i havnt put 87 in any of my cars in a LONG time lol my stang will never see anything less then 93
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

on regular they are rated at like 400hp vs 412~ or there about etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDwoodman View Post
They have 100 in Tracy 7 bucks a gallon though lol
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have been running both, the difference is pretty unnoticeable to me... Average mileage stayed right around 19.2 or so when I switched to 87 for a few tanks.

Can't tell if there's a power difference, seems to accelerate just as brutally fast.

Just out of curiosity, how does the motor determine that the octane level in the fuel has gone up or down when you change from 91 to 87 etc?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
How many miles do you have now?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
They have 100 in Tracy 7 bucks a gallon though lol
I pay $7.00 for the bottle of octane boost that gets me to 93!!!

It's official everyone I am moving to Tracy........
(Current)2012-Black 5.0 Premium Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Stage 2 Kit, ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDwoodman

I pay $7.00 for the bottle of octane boost that gets me to 93!!!

It's official everyone I am moving to Tracy........
What kind of octane boost are you buying that even makes a difference. In order to even make a difference with the octane rating in your tank that little bottle would have to be 250 octane to make a difference in a 14 gallon tank. Think about it. Half a pint of octane boost in 14 gallons of 91 octane. Please. That stuff doesn't work. Toluene is 115 octane and I have to put in a gallon at the track to get me to 95 in half a tank. Sorry to burst your bubble
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo
I have been running both, the difference is pretty unnoticeable to me... Average mileage stayed right around 19.2 or so when I switched to 87 for a few tanks.

Can't tell if there's a power difference, seems to accelerate just as brutally fast.

Just out of curiosity, how does the motor determine that the octane level in the fuel has gone up or down when you change from 91 to 87 etc?
The computer has sensors I guess. I bought a Honda jet ski a couple years ago and they told me the computer could tell if I used 87 or 93 or what ever and it would advance or turn down the timing. I thought "Why can't they do that with cars?" and whamo! Ford puts the technology in the mustang and F150.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Knock sensors detect spark knock and will advance or ****** timing til knock is eliminated... Really cool stuff
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
How many miles do you have now?
about 3600.00 , just about to go in for first sceduled maintenance , seemed to me with break in time + 93 + tune and intake the car got more and more powerful (note) the " cold " air intakes arent much by themselves but with a tune to optimize the cars potential really wakes things up .
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
about 3600.00 , just about to go in for first sceduled maintenance , seemed to me with break in time + 93 + tune and intake the car got more and more powerful (note) the " cold " air intakes arent much by themselves but with a tune to optimize the cars potential really wakes things up .
NICE.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbarJ

There's a few intake/tuner combos out there with custom tunes that are actually putting around 410 to the wheels on those two mods alone... Not bad for under 700 bucks.

Guys have videos running high 11s in the quarter with just air intake/tune/radials...

I need it
Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
What kind of octane boost are you buying that even makes a difference. In order to even make a difference with the octane rating in your tank that little bottle would have to be 250 octane to make a difference in a 14 gallon tank. Think about it. Half a pint of octane boost in 14 gallons of 91 octane. Please. That stuff doesn't work. Toluene is 115 octane and I have to put in a gallon at the track to get me to 95 in half a tank. Sorry to burst your bubble
Crap soo it really isn't worth it then....Thanks for the info I wont be wasting that cash anymore.

I was using a boost that was 104 octane and was told it would be able to get the extra 2 octane I wanted to fit my tune....

This is also MORE reason to move out of CA......

Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

Crap soo it really isn't worth it then....Thanks for the info I wont be wasting that cash anymore.

I was using a boost that was 104 octane and was told it would be able to get the extra 2 octane I wanted to fit my tune....

This is also MORE reason to move out of CA......
There is no truth in advertising with that stuff. The home depot sell toluene for about 10 bucks a gallon and I use that now. I used to buy the nos octane boost then the amsoil stuff and got laughed at at the track. I know toluene works because I load up the 93 octane tune and I can hear obvious ping and knock. Once I pour in the toluene it takes maybe 3 minutes and it's gone. Toluene,acetone and I forget the last one but it's on the shelf right next to those 2 and they will legitimately raise octane. And clean the fuel system so well you could eat from it. But be advised that to much will eat at your rubber seals. I use about 1 liter per half tank which is about 6 or 7 gallons and it seems to work.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
There is no truth in advertising with that stuff. The home depot sell toluene for about 10 bucks a gallon and I use that now. I used to buy the nos octane boost then the amsoil stuff and got laughed at at the track. I know toluene works because I load up the 93 octane tune and I can hear obvious ping and knock. Once I pour in the toluene it takes maybe 3 minutes and it's gone. Toluene,acetone and I forget the last one but it's on the shelf right next to those 2 and they will legitimately raise octane. And clean the fuel system so well you could eat from it. But be advised that to much will eat at your rubber seals. I use about 1 liter per half tank which is about 6 or 7 gallons and it seems to work.
Alright, thanks a ton....I'll give it a try next time I gas up and let you know.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

Alright, thanks a ton....I'll give it a try next time I gas up and let you know.
Once I remember the name of the third product I will pm ya.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon

Ok lets see if I can put down in words what I have been researching on the internet (this might get long, but I hope it is worth it.).
The octane rating is a % of octane to heptane (basically) and is the basic make up of gasoline. Heptane will spontaneously ignite at lower compression and octane at higher compression. So with the higher cylinder compression (high compression pistons or forced induction) you need higher octane. Now newer motors have knock sensors on them that tell the computer when the cylinder is knocking. The computer then has the ability to change parameters to resolve the knock. Some of these parameters are spark, fuel injection spray and valve timing. One might ask what these have to do with the octane rating or knocking (pinging) and the answer is that for pre-ignition several variables need to align (or miss-align). These variables are fuel ratio, volume of air allowed into the cylinder and spark timing. So if you use a lower octane rating, the engine will adjust parameters to match that rating. This usually means less advancement in the timing, possibly a little richer in the fuel ratio and a little less lift in the valve timing. What you see is that performance and mileage suffer at the edge. Under normal driving (everyday to and from work) you may not and most like would not notice any difference. Now adding a higher octane at the track than what your car can burn due to compression restrictions will just waist money! Doing so for daily driving is just wasting money.
Now if you think about how all of this is tied together, you also have a better understanding of how that new cold air intake (cold air, less restriction, denser charge in the cylinder, higher compression), new free flowing exhaust (better evacuation of the cylinder to let in more of the cold dense charge) and the new computer program (longer valve duration, possibly more spark advance, more fuel spray). All of these power enhancements will most likely point you towards having to use a higher octane rating.
A lot of people out on the internet say that you don’t need anything more than regular gas, but you really have to look at is what your car needs. If you have modified it, then you may need a higher octane rating.
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Once I remember the name of the third product I will pm ya.
Xylene
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Stock 2011 5.0...I've been running on regular 87. At 2500 miles I started running midgrade 91. Have not noticed much difference in acceleration. I'm at 3800ish now.
Dodgers 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I got the 2010 gt and I was runnin 87 in mine for a week an switched to 93 and I noticed a difference thru mid range .pulls harder I'll never put 87 in my tank agin
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I got the 2010 gt and I was runnin 87 in mine for a week an switched to 93 and I noticed a difference thru mid range .pulls harder I'll never put 87 in my tank agin
I 'like' the sentiment!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

i agree,i use 93.if i spend a couple bucks more each time i fill up,and i get better performance than it is worth it
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #31
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Run what the manual says plan and simple
Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
I 'like' the sentiment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Thanks. Will keep observing and I'll try the 93 soon.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #33
Road Trip!

If your after an octane boost that works toluene,acetone and xylene will raise octane significantly and if it's octane your after they will work. And readily available at the home depot for 10 bucks a gallon. 2 liters in a tank should light you up pretty good.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
If your after an octane boost that works toluene,acetone and xylene will raise octane significantly and if it's octane your after they will work. And readily available at the home depot for 10 bucks a gallon. 2 liters in a tank should light you up pretty good.
What's up bro?! Just curious to if your have tried this yourself?
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatisport

What's up bro?! Just curious to if your have tried this yourself?
Yup.... I have. All 3 although not at the same time. I don't suggest mixing all 3.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT