How to remove adhesive left behind after removing warning stickers for sun visors? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

How to remove adhesive left behind after removing warning stickers for sun visors?

I recently purchased a new black 2011 GT.

Today I took the warning stickers off of the sun visors. The problem is the stickers came off but the adhesive did not.

Does anyone have a proven method of removing the adhesive without damaging the visor fabric?

My car has a black cloth interior.

Thanks.
blk66stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: How to remove adhesive left behind after removing warning stickers for sun visors

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk66stang View Post
I recently purchased a new black 2011 GT.

Today I took the warning stickers off of the sun visors. The problem is the stickers came off but the adhesive did not.

Does anyone have a proven method of removing the adhesive without damaging the visor fabric?

My car has a black cloth interior.

Thanks.
and why did u remove them?
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: How to remove adhesive left behind after removing warning stickers for sun visors

Try some isopropyl alcohol. Are they vinyl coated or fabric? If vinyl you might be able to get away with some goo gone.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

I took them off because I thought that they were a temporary sticker. It wasn't until I had one of them about a 1/4 of the way off before I realized that they might be permanent.

The sun visors are fabric covered.
blk66stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Yeah, your best bet would be to get some adhesive and put them back on the best you can. I wouldn't try to get that crap off of fabric. More trouble than its worth.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

DUCK TAPE!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #7

Region: Canada

This method involves removing the sun visors, bot it's easy to do- unscrew the two #25 torx screws holding it in place and off it comes. Wet down a pillow case and wring it out so it's damp but not dripping wet. Put the visor adhesive-side up on an ironing board and soak the adhesive with some Goof-Off. Place the pillow case over the adhesive and run your iron set at mid to high heat lightly over it. The pillow case will hiss as steam forms and draws up the adhesive. Move the pillow case to another damp area after the area you've been using has dried out. Repeat using the Goof-Off and a new damp section of the pillowcase until all the adhesive has come away. For stubborn spots, scrub the adhesive hard with an old toothbrush. Be patient-you don't want to burn the material. It took me about 45 minutes per visor, but it works. Looks great once the visors are back on your car. The area where the stickers once were will be a lighter colour than the rest of the visor, but it's a small price to pay for getting rid of those god-awful looking things. Good luck!
tegemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT