New to this site. Got my 5.0!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
New to this site. Got my 5.0!!

So I'm new to this and I'm liking it so far. I have wanted a 5.0 since I heard they were bringing it back. Im also so thankful my parents bought it for me and I'm hoping its cuz i deserve it. Not many 18 year olds with a 5.0 out there. I have driven stick plenty of times but controlling 390 lb ft of torque is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I got the start down but I am having difficulties with a couple of things. Every time I shift up (for example from 1st to 2nd gear) the car kinda jerks a little. What am I doing wrong? Stalling in public is SO embarrassing too haha luckily everyone is nice and doesn't honk. Also, I don't understand braking. What's the safest way to break? Break in gear? Or just put it in neutral and break?
vicente8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Welcome to the forum!
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: New to this site. Got my 5.0!!

Welcome

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Welcome.
First, are you letting out on the clutch a little to fast maybe to make it jerk?
The best way to brake is to step on the clutch and the brake at the same time if you are coming to a stop. If at a light, put it in neutral foot off clutch. This will save wear on your throw out bearing.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to JB3nd3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente8a View Post
So I'm new to this and I'm liking it so far. I have wanted a 5.0 since I heard they were bringing it back. Im also so thankful my parents bought it for me and I'm hoping its cuz i deserve it. Not many 18 year olds with a 5.0 out there. I have driven stick plenty of times but controlling 390 lb ft of torque is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I got the start down but I am having difficulties with a couple of things. Every time I shift up (for example from 1st to 2nd gear) the car kinda jerks a little. What am I doing wrong? Stalling in public is SO embarrassing too haha luckily everyone is nice and doesn't honk. Also, I don't understand braking. What's the safest way to break? Break in gear? Or just put it in neutral and break?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
Welcome.
First, are you letting out on the clutch a little to fast maybe to make it jerk?
The best way to brake is to step on the clutch and the brake at the same time if you are coming to a stop. If at a light, put it in neutral foot off clutch. This will save wear on your throw out bearing.
Well Congrats man
I recently bought a 2010 GT and havn't drove manual consistently before, so I was doing some of the same things. What 93CobraGuy said is pretty on point, Ease out of the clutch a bit more when up shifting and it will feel really smooth and won't jerk at all once you find that spot (* Same concept as when your taking off). Also when breaking I push the clutch & brake in at the same time unless I barely tap the brakes (and don't need to shift at all), and put it in neutral until I know what gear I'm going to downshift too if I'm slowly breaking. Only had my GT for about a week and a half, the first couple days were the roughest as far as stalling out. Honestly the best way to figure it out is too keep driving it, I felt alot more comfortable driving it about the 4th day.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Welcome you lucky Bastard
Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #7

thats awesome man!!! do you plan to do anything to your GT? and what color? and yeah i guess youre right. nothing will make me better at it than just practicing. ill just ease off the clutch more but i guess i was just scared to ride the clutch, so i let it out quickly.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to JB3nd3r

Quote:
thats awesome man!!! do you plan to do anything to your GT? and what color? and yeah i guess youre right. nothing will make me better at it than just practicing. ill just ease off the clutch more but i guess i was just scared to ride the clutch, so i let it out quickly.
As of right now pry rims and appearance stuff, but until the warranty is up it's pry gonna stay pretty stock lol. My GT is White, 5sp, w/ 3.73...
I can understand that man, your a lil' hesitant because you don't want to mess it up... You'll get the hang of it
Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3nd3r
....your a lil' hesitant because you don't want to mess it up... You'll get the hang of it
+1 You will get used to it soon enough. Hell, took me a couple days to get used to my vert when I got it.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Congrats on your new 5.0 bud!! Practice makes perfect so keep driving and be safe. The clutch on the 5.0s are a little touchy (more than others) to the point where some have complained that its a factory issue.If you dont want the car to buck from 1st to 2nd you are really gonna have to feather the clutch,just be nice and easy when letting off of it....almost like old lady style.As far as braking goes I like to step on the clutch 1st then ease in with the brake.Another thing for a newbie to be reminded of is if you are getting on her and you feel the wheel hop in the rear let off the gas because it will only tear the rear end up if you keep on it.
Good luck!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Awesome car.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
Welcome,
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats on getting a 5.0

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3nd3r View Post
As of right now pry rims and appearance stuff, but until the warranty is up it's pry gonna stay pretty stock lol. My GT is White, 5sp, w/ 3.73...
I can understand that man, your a lil' hesitant because you don't want to mess it up... You'll get the hang of it
oh i wanted the 3.73 im kinda glad i didnt get em now though (for now haha). once i get used to this car, ill start adding stuff. maybe a catback will be the first move.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Congrats on your new 5.0 bud!! Practice makes perfect so keep driving and be safe. The clutch on the 5.0s are a little touchy (more than others) to the point where some have complained that its a factory issue.If you dont want the car to buck from 1st to 2nd you are really gonna have to feather the clutch,just be nice and easy when letting off of it....almost like old lady style.As far as braking goes I like to step on the clutch 1st then ease in with the brake.Another thing for a newbie to be reminded of is if you are getting on her and you feel the wheel hop in the rear let off the gas because it will only tear the rear end up if you keep on it.
Good luck!
thank you!! trust me i will be driving it A LOT haha. theres so much pressure when riding with friends though! and oh thats not good to hear no wonder its been difficult. i did realize when i was just really really gentle it worked fine. i just need patience i guess. and about the wheel hop thing, i dont think i have had that happend, but when does it usually happen?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
thank you!! trust me i will be driving it A LOT haha. theres so much pressure when riding with friends though! and oh thats not good to hear no wonder its been difficult. i did realize when i was just really really gentle it worked fine. i just need patience i guess. and about the wheel hop thing, i dont think i have had that happend, but when does it usually happen?
Wheel hop happens when you really get on it usually in 1st gear and 2nd.You lose traction of course and it feels like the rear end is hopping or vibrating.If this happens just let off the gas so not to tear up the rear end.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente8a

Anytime you mash the loud pedal. You will feel it happening
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Anytime you mash the loud pedal. You will feel it happening
then i have no idea why i havent felt that yet cuz ive floored it a couple times
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Wheel hop happens when you really get on it usually in 1st gear and 2nd.You lose traction of course and it feels like the rear end is hopping or vibrating.If this happens just let off the gas so not to tear up the rear end.
oh i see.... it tears up the tires you mean?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
oh i see.... it tears up the tires you mean?
No it will tear the rear end up not the tires.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #21

Quote:
No it will tear the rear end up not the tires.
oh ok ok ok. i just looked all this stuff up thanks man i wouldnt have even known about this
Old 02-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #22
Regular
Supporter

Check out s197forum.com for some great info about the S197 models.I suggest just doing some reading over there for awhile because they are hardcore about their site.I usually bounce between that one and ME alot.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

You got the car before the skills son! Its all good tho,,you will get the hang of it faster than you know. Ref braking, Engine braking is the best to safe brake live (downshifting). Emergency braking with ABS just mash the clutch and brake peddle to the floor, DO NOT LET OFF and modulate your foot (slightly wiggle your toes) and it will stop a little shorter than full ABS. Good luck
12GTLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
Regular
Supporter

Engine braking is to advanced for junior as of yet.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

when I purchased my 01 I had never really driven a manual~ but I learned on the way home ha lol.

Everyone told me I would hate it etc... never have
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

I been driving manual cars since I was 16 ... still any new car / clutch takes some learning - I love my new 11' 5.0 but yeah 400 + HP to the wheels takes some getting used to . Any plans on racing ? making some runs in a safe environment , local drag strip , can really help you learn how to handle the power and do it safely -
good luck , congrats on a fine car .
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

welcome & congrats on your 5.0. all i can say is glad to see that you respect the power of the car and you're not like the typical 18 yr old who would tear it up leaving the dealership.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #28
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I just got the 11 5.0 too. Its a fine car. I too have the 6 speed. I agree while shifting up give it some gas and let the clutch out smooth and steady. One thing I have noticed if you give it a little rev. Before the shift it will really pull up your speed. The car has alot of power stock. Have fun but be safe. Learn to down shift for breaking it is more fun with the control feel and the fun of driving this fine car.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Never owned an automatic before lol. If you're on the highway/interstate/etc. and you aren't trying to stop but just slow down and letting off the gas isn't fast enough. I don't use the clutch on the highway I just ease on the brake enough until I'm around 1400 rpms and if I'm slowing down more than that then I just down shift. You'll get the hang of it. All clutches are different. Even on two of the same cars the clutches are can feel a little diff. Just get use to it and get comfortable. The less nervous about stalling out and the more comfortable you are the easier it'll come. Just go out in a neighborhood with a steep incline and practice taking off from a dead stop (uphill). Good luck and congrats man, post some pics.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to MrTibbij

Congrats man on the new car!! Any pictures yet?
2011 Ruby Red w/ a Tinted Clear Coat GT California Special: Airraid CAI, Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-back Exhaust, SCT Performance Tune, 6 spd, HID Lamps, 3.73 Limited Slip, Confort, Security, Electronics Packages.
MrTibbij is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT