Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold! - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I feel like there was no gain from mine. Im thinking its the tune. What tune are you running? I have a ghost cam tune from lund.
Supertzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold!

BAMA 93R. So weird, I see 2-3 guys with the boss that feel they lose or dont gain HP. I put this thing on and its the complete opposite. Nothing but power gain.. I dont even feel any low end loss at all.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #108
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

a lot of it is in the tune, a lot of any gains from mods on these cars are in the tune. I did feel a little low end loss but a large gain up top

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

So shoukd i just try another tune
Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #110
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I think I remember you saying that your tune is supposed to be for both the stock and boss intake manifold? if the tuner refuses to retune for specifically the boss intake then I would say yes

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertzi
So shoukd i just try another tune
You should do some datalogs and send them to Lund. Tell him you aren't feeling the gains you expected.

Also, the main places you'll see gains are on high rpm launches and by really winding the car out. What rpms are you launching and shifting at?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Well they finally gave me a retune but couldnt get it to cam. I ran 2 twnths slower on that tune. Since then they havnt wanted to give me a retune to fix the cam effect. I personally just am not satisfied with t lethal performance at all
Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well they finally gave me a retune but couldnt get it to cam. I ran 2 twnths slower on that tune. Since then they havnt wanted to give me a retune to fix the cam effect. I personally just am not satisfied with t lethal performance at all
Don't run ghost cam tunes at the track...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

I shift at 7600 and launch around 2500 because of my tires. But even winding out gear from a high roll i have no gains.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Why not run ghost cam at the track. I ran faster with it. I have also had no problen with thw ghost cam ever.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertzi View Post
I shift at 7600 and launch around 2500 because of my tires. But even winding out gear from a high roll i have no gains.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Why not run ghost cam at the track. I ran faster with it. I have also had no problen with thw ghost cam ever.
Yeah, 2500 is about all you'll get on street tires, but I bet the Boss is bogging off the line. I was also told that the ghost cam tunes aren't ideal for the track since they tend to make the car "stumble" off the line. I personally wouldn't run one for track duty, too much screwy stuff going on with the cam timing...
Old 08-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

My car doesn't stumble with the cams. It runs fine.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

That I know of at least lol
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Do you think that maybe since I have the roush cold air intake and it reuses stock tubing and thats why im not having big gains? Also instead of a 3" offroad pipe i just have a cat delete on the stock h pipe. And roush axle back.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #118
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Do you think that maybe since I have the roush cold air intake and it reuses stock tubing and thats why im not having big gains? Also instead of a 3" offroad pipe i just have a cat delete on the stock h pipe. And roush axle back.
No and no. Napoleon and I are both running stock airbox, and the cats themselves are very restrictive, while the size of the exhaust pipe isn't the most free flowing just deleting the cats should be more than enough. Have sent any datalogging to your tuner?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Doing my install now. Just needing a tune to get me going.
ducatibrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

No i havnt done any datalogging.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #121
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I would do that and send them the files and ask for a tune adjustment

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

I have problems with lethals customer service to get this done
Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #123
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Unfortunately you may have to shell out the money to get another tune then...

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Would a dyno tune just be best?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Well after doing the install I figured I would add some pics. Just a couple of things I did that might help. If you buy the Boss and install kit from Ford you'll see the lack of directions. I bought the kit because I did not want to have to splice wires but guess what... Anyway not a big deal and here is how I did it. I'm sure there is a better way but this will work.
1st off what I used for the splice. If you don't own a good soldering system hit up a Frys and get one. I use this thing for Everything.

Then find the wire your going to splice.Pretty easy to find it the one you unplugged up front.
I'm using a piece of wire from a old dc power supply of the same gauge. Make sure to offset the cut and pull the shrink tube down a good bit so it does not melt from the solder gun heat.

I used a little clip to hold the wire in place and then the heat gun to shrink the first small then the big shrink wrap as one.

I think it should look like this when completed soldering.

And this is after it is all together. I had to hit Harbor Freight
and pick up some black plastic wire cover.

In the install kit your going to get 3 lines/hoses. The dbl one has the Exact same fuel line as what is on the car. Just pull them apart and use just the one. No need to pull your fuel line off. Now I let my car sit All Night and had NO Fuel pressure. It is very possible that your line will have a lot of pressure so watch out for that.
Your also going to get a bracket that you'll have to figure out where the heck it goes. It installs on the drivers side rear of the manifold. It holds the new valve that you just spliced a wire to reach all the way around.

Again this is what I did and by all means look at what other people do as I'm kind of lazy and just tossed it together.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #126
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Humm... I didn't have to splice anything when I installed my Boss IM. Why did you do it this way?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Humm... I didn't have to splice anything when I installed my Boss IM. Why did you do it this way?
The kit I picked up from Ford relocated the plug and hose to the rear of the engine. The Boss moves that valve from on top with a new one to the back.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #128
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yea I spliced into mine, mine looks oem. The relocation kit has a completely different setup up for the purge valve

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Yea I spliced into mine, mine looks oem. The relocation kit has a completely different setup up for the purge valve
Purge Valve is the word I was looking for. Lol.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't splice anything, but I have the covers and just bought the boss air tube from the ford parts counter. Looks very OEM, I'd post pics but I don't have them on my phone. I'm sure I put them up somewhere if you want to search my threads though.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #131
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yea the splicing isn't necessary but I bought the entire intake install kit so I figured I would use it lol. There's nothing wrong with using stock purge valve but like I said I bought it so I might as well use it

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #132
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Oh I see! Well, I'm ghetto. I just bolted my purge valve to the block. Anybody else freaked out by that big open cavity between the manifold and the block? I was like, woah... I'm gonna line it with aluminum foil so I can bake some hot wings in it while I drive to work. Lol
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

BBQ wings would be the shiznit come lunch time
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Oh I see! Well, I'm ghetto. I just bolted my purge valve to the block. Anybody else freaked out by that big open cavity between the manifold and the block? I was like, woah... I'm gonna line it with aluminum foil so I can bake some hot wings in it while I drive to work. Lol
I bolted mine to the block too. You can't really see it unless you're looking for it though.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

go with Bama, or get it done at a Dyno shop by a trusted/reputable shop. I love my intake manifold, just hate the way my airaid is so snug while fitting it on the throttle body

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

srry, for thread jacking. just trying to get that 100 post. There got it!!! Ha

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

I still have to bolt mine up. Its just dangling in the canyon right now. I check it often to make sure its still all in one piece, lol. I know, I am lazy, but this weekend I will tackle it, and bolt it the right way with the bracket I have.
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt View Post
go with Bama, or get it done at a Dyno shop by a trusted/reputable shop. I love my intake manifold, just hate the way my airaid is so snug while fitting it on the throttle body

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

srry, for thread jacking. just trying to get that 100 post. There got it!!! Ha

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

I still have to bolt mine up. Its just dangling in the canyon right now. I check it often to make sure its still all in one piece, lol. I know, I am lazy, but this weekend I will tackle it, and bolt it the right way with the bracket I have.
Mine is the same way, sucks
Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'm glad to see people are still enjoying there boss 302 mani's! And I can say seeing it first hand full exhaust w/LT's and cat deletes , JLT CAI , JLT catch cans , boss 302 mani , DR's, and CDT watched my buddy pull a 11.2x at 121mph I posted his time slip on this forum after the run. Do it big or go home lol the phrase for the day!

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

And hello everyone have not been on the forum in a while! Hope everyone's doing well!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #138
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Yup, it's been awhile. Welcome back!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #139
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
I'm glad to see people are still enjoying there boss 302 mani's! And I can say seeing it first hand full exhaust w/LT's and cat deletes , JLT CAI , JLT catch cans , boss 302 mani , DR's, and CDT watched my buddy pull a 11.2x at 121mph I posted his time slip on this forum after the run. Do it big or go home lol the phrase for the day!

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

And hello everyone have not been on the forum in a while! Hope everyone's doing well!
Whoa... what's up stranger?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Not a dam thing bro how bout you guys?! Still kickin a** and takin names? I see the boss fever is still circulating! Lol what's new with y'all stangs?
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT