Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold! - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmorley81 View Post
Well I up'ed the shift point to 7650rpm. After doing a few hits at the track, I now have a tranny leak coming from the bell housing. I think that at that high rpm the tranny might not be able to Handel it. Dropped it back down to 7500. And runs better. But now I've got to take it to the dealer to find out what broke. Hope it's not a big issue and that they cover under warranty. I don't think they will. I've got tons of mods. But we will see.
Good luck bro let us know what happens
LovinmyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #177

Region: California
Thanks for putting in the time to make this. Installed mine the other day with my laptop and this DIY next to me to guide me through it. You helped me out a ton
Mods- Airaid CAI, Boss IM, BAMA Tuned, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Back, SR Performance Springs, 3.55 Gears, HID Fog lights, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires on TSW Rockingham wheels 20x10 295/30/20 rear and 20x8 275/40/19 front.
Tylerva5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #178
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerva5 View Post
Thanks for putting in the time to make this. Installed mine the other day with my laptop and this DIY next to me to guide me through it. You helped me out a ton
It's a pretty good write up. I did my second install of the Boss mani off of memory and it was easy as pie.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
you should really get the oil catch can with the new intake
MaggioM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #180

I recently bought a 2013 5.0 6 speed Auto and i just installed a boss 302 manifold ith air raid and sct tuner from american muscle.Currently running on 93 octane with 93s. As soon as it was installed the car ran great but then at night while i was driving its like my transmission was scared of switch gears between 3rd and 4th and it made a grinding noise. I then took it to ford and the mechanic said it was the torque converter so ford replaced it for free of charge! Once it was installed my mechanic ran an advanced learn program so the car can figure out the shift point because it was still kind of making the grinding noise. Once he finished it seems like when i started driving it finally went away! The onlu thing it does now is shift wierd between 3rd to 4th gear still! At low end it sucks,but when i step on it at high end its enjoyable! The only issues im having it with it now is that when im going like 25 mph while the rpms are at 1000 i step on it real quick and the rpms go to 7,000 then it makes my engine downshift like my car wants to turn off! My mechanic cant figure it out and american muscle says its not the tune even though i think it is.Does anyone know what my issue can be? I plan on getting it dyno tune soon to see if it will fix the problem but im not sure! Any Sugesstions?

adolpharizpe09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #181

I recently bought a 2013 5.0 6 speed Auto and i just installed a boss 302 manifold ith air raid and sct tuner from american muscle.Currently running on 93 octane with 93s. As soon as it was installed the car ran great but then at night while i was driving its like my transmission was scared of switch gears between 3rd and 4th and it made a grinding noise. I then took it to ford and the mechanic said it was the torque converter so ford replaced it for free of charge! Once it was installed my mechanic ran an advanced learn program so the car can figure out the shift point because it was still kind of making the grinding noise. Once he finished it seems like when i started driving it finally went away! The onlu thing it does now is shift wierd between 3rd to 4th gear still! At low end it sucks,but when i step on it at high end its enjoyable! The only issues im having it with it now is that when im going like 25 mph while the rpms are at 1000 i step on it real quick and the rpms go to 7,000 then it makes my engine downshift like my car wants to turn off! My mechanic cant figure it out and american muscle says its not the tune even though i think it is.Does anyone know what my issue can be? I plan on getting it dyno tune soon to see if it will fix the problem but im not sure! Any Sugesstions?
adolpharizpe09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod@latemodel View Post
Dyno numbers have been all over the place with this. Still do not have any numbers with the N20 yet, but without it we were able to lay down 420/379. I have seen it as high as 441/400.
So, what all was done to the car besides the boss intake to put down them numbers?

I am thinking of only doing a muffler delete and a bama tune, I am a 6 speed. Will that give me seat of the pants gains? These cars have plenty now but, I mean, Is there ever enough?!
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #183
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
So, what all was done to the car besides the boss intake to put down them numbers?

I am thinking of only doing a muffler delete and a bama tune, I am a 6 speed. Will that give me seat of the pants gains? These cars have plenty now but, I mean, Is there ever enough?!
You will need some gears for the seat of the pants feel.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

We'll your first mistake was buying an automatic. That transmission with the 3.31 rear end under powers the coyote 5.0 so much. And second, it is the tune 100%. The tunes American muscle makes change your shift points. I would set your car to stock (if you don't have an air intake that requires a tune ie. jlt race air intake). Drive it around on the stock setting and see if the shifting problem went away. If so then call AM and explain that. I have no idea how they would fix it other than making a new tune for you. But good luck with that man!
badblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by badblue11 View Post
We'll your first mistake was buying an automatic. That transmission with the 3.31 rear end under powers the coyote 5.0 so much.
Autos come with 3.15's not 3.31's. An coupled with 1st gear in the 6R80 being a 4.17 it makes the rear more like a 3.55-3.60. As far as being underpowered that's an ignorant statement. There's plenty of N/A 3.15 cars running in the 11.2-11.5 range. I've been 11.79 with my 3.15's and I'm still running the stock converter.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm sure this is further up in the thread but will I destroy my car if I install this and don't tune it? Guys at the ford dealership told me a run isn't required
Bighebs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Tune*
Bighebs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
A tune isn't required but why put on a manifold that's designed to run to 7600-7700 when you'll be shifting before 7000 rpm on the stock tun?. Talk about a waste of money to make your car go slower.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You won't see much gains without a tune because most of the gains are on the top end
Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post

I tried the tune only before installing anything else. Only real gain I noticed was quicker throttle response.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

I just completed this install a couple days ago along w/ a Steeda CAI. You may have seen people complain that the Steeda either doesn't fit or barely fits, and I'm here to verify my experience that it barely fits. Took me almost as long to get the CAI to fit as the whole intake swap. What I found was two options: either cut a little bit of the sheetmetal back to fit the air box in the hole better or just remove the bottom mounting bracket from the air box. I took the mount off for now, but may try trimming the box at another time so maybe I can get that mount to work - either way its not going anywhere.

I'm not ditching the factory strut bar either. My plan is to cut the bar free from the mounting plates, then modify the plates and re-weld the strut bar back to it.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
I just completed this install a couple days ago along w/ a Steeda CAI. You may have seen people complain that the Steeda either doesn't fit or barely fits, and I'm here to verify my experience that it barely fits. Took me almost as long to get the CAI to fit as the whole intake swap. What I found was two options: either cut a little bit of the sheetmetal back to fit the air box in the hole better or just remove the bottom mounting bracket from the air box. I took the mount off for now, but may try trimming the box at another time so maybe I can get that mount to work - either way its not going anywhere.

I'm not ditching the factory strut bar either. My plan is to cut the bar free from the mounting plates, then modify the plates and re-weld the strut bar back to it.
I hear BBR makes a strut bar to fit this 302 IM. If you're looking for a cleaner option. Will you be tig welding if you go the route you are speaking of?

"You might think that's not cricket, and it's not, it's motor racing"

"Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"
gdcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

I did mod the stock bar. It worked excellent. If I had a different choice, I'd still pick mine. Love it!

I posted pics of it in another thread. Yes we TIG welded it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Some pictures, with the boss 302 manifold on, show a strut tower bar that looks identical to mine, and yet, all I hear is that it doesn't work. I am so confused.

"You might think that's not cricket, and it's not, it's motor racing"

"Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"
gdcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #195
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

Thanks for the awesome article. The detail and pictures helped me with my install a ton. I did end up using my own way to relocate the purge valve but it works just the same. I'm at 7000 miles from install and no engine light so its safe to say it worked. This article is what actually drew me to joining this forum as it was the only thread that helped me wrap my head around the install before I actually took the car apart.
Trevorhart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Cool stuff
dentman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
How much time do you really spend about 6000 RPM? Is it worth it to void your warranty and tax your engine more for something that wasn't designed for your car in the first place? I dont want to finance a 30k+ GT full of self inflicted issues!

If my goal was a track car, sure as hell wouldn't buy a stock GT/V6 and mod it! I'd buy a GT500 and mod it...a true track car that no GT or below could ever hope to be without replacing 70% the parts under the hood. By the time you finish, cost would have been about the same.

Down low is where you spend the majority of your driving (and IMO where the REAL fun is) If you are above 6000 RPM constantly you are probably above 100 mph in the city driving like an a$$ or ripe for a quick night in the poke when you get gunned.

Skip the BOSS 302, get a CAI, TBS...suspension upgrades, better tires, some nice axle backs and tie it all together with a torque race tune from your fav vendor. What a blast! Of course I have a 2013 GT, so already have more HP than earlier models...additional mods may apply on those. Best thing is I can return my car to stock for service with NO reverting back parts and track a 0-60 under 4 secs when tuned. Man I love the newer mustangs!!...old mach1s arent too bad either ;O)
WileECoyoteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #198
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
How much time do you really spend about 6000 RPM? Is it worth it to void your warranty and tax your engine more for something that wasn't designed for your car in the first place? I dont want to finance a 30k+ GT full of self inflicted issues!

If my goal was a track car, sure as hell wouldn't buy a stock GT/V6 and mod it! I'd buy a GT500 and mod it...a true track car that no GT or below could ever hope to be without replacing 70% the parts under the hood. By the time you finish, cost would have been about the same.

Down low is where you spend the majority of your driving (and IMO where the REAL fun is) If you are above 6000 RPM constantly you are probably above 100 mph in the city driving like an a$$ or ripe for a quick night in the poke when you get gunned.

Skip the BOSS 302, get a CAI, TBS...suspension upgrades, better tires, some nice axle backs and tie it all together with a torque race tune from your fav vendor. What a blast! Of course I have a 2013 GT, so already have more HP than earlier models...additional mods may apply on those. Best thing is I can return my car to stock for service with NO reverting back parts and track a 0-60 under 4 secs when tuned. Man I love the newer mustangs!!...old mach1s arent too bad either ;O)

Your 13 pulls the same as a stock 2011/12. And why would you waste your money on a CAI when your car comes with one? You cant return your car to stock and be fine at a dealership (these arent the previous models) the computer will track that. Also,if you spend time in 6K RPMs with the Boss mani then you are not using it correctly. Anyways.......this is a install/tech thread so lets keep it going in that direction.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post

Bro your either joking or know very little of the subject your speaking on. Keep it real homes
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

I think what you meant was, "Holmes".

Old 06-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Bro your either joking or know very little of the subject your speaking on. Keep it real homes
Ive owned 4 modern stangs (GT, V6 and BOSS) - modded, tested, dyno tested (by my fav dyno guy) all the popular add-ons and restored a mach1. My father was a Ford certified tech for 22 years. I can also write an intelligible post with complete sentences.

I may not qualify by your standards...but I do own a couple of "homes"
Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #202
Regular
Supporter

No more back and forth bickering posts please. This is a install/tech thread so please try and keep it that way.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Your 13 pulls the same as a stock 2011/12. And why would you waste your money on a CAI when your car comes with one? You cant return your car to stock and be fine at a dealership (these arent the previous models) the computer will track that. Also,if you spend time in 6K RPMs with the Boss mani then you are not using it correctly. Anyways.......this is a install/tech thread so lets keep it going in that direction.
Thx for the reply..

[On topic]
For a great Boss 302 intake step by step install video...this one is hard to beat:

The Boss 302 intake helps in the upper RPM range with little to no measurable gain on the low end compared to the stock manifold - 2013-2014 GT. The only reason to replace the stock intake is for extra top end boost for longer tracking, S/C or a nice look under the hood. It will do nothing for your 0-60..and yes Ive owned - installed one (and happily sold it, shortly after)

Be aware, the BOSS 302 is not a supported part for your newer GT and will void just about any warantee work for parts directly attached to the engine ( and the engine itself in some cases) .

[Off Topic]
The spec sheet begs to differ when comparing a 2013-14 GT to a 2012 or older model. ..I'll leave it at that.

Theres a TON of people who would strongly disagree that an aftermarket CAI has no benefit over a restrictive airbox..

Fully aware of the flash footprint and key cycles on a PCM, my point was that none of my mods REQUIRE a tune (but would benefit) for the car to function. If you install a different manifold, over sized throttle body, a CAI without a venturi tube, Gears...etc...you will NEVER be able to return your car to stock without risking permanent damage or having to pull parts off your car (who wants to do that?!).

I spoke directly to my Ford Service Dept, asked what constitutes a warantee breach and what is or wont be covered with each mod. Do your homework and you wont have nasty surprises when service is required.

I apologize for the tit for tat post...not my intention.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #204
Regular
Supporter

Only thing I would say to do differently is to flip the fuel rail to the side instead of pulling it all the way off. Attaching it to the mani before putting it in makes it a PITA. Also,that kit they sell is a huge waste of money,IMO. You get parts in that kit that just replace the brand new ones you already have and $5 at the parts store will get you what you need to do the job. The way the $5 kit and the $200 kit looks is a matter of opinion. I bought the kit,opened it, sent it back and picked up a Bob's catch can instead.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Other parts I'd recommend if you will be adding this....Ford Racing 90mm throttle body, the required adapter plus a good CAI that doesnt need a separate adapter to fit. The Ford parts are more expensive typically, but anything OEM IMO is better when you have choices on bolt on parts.

Now that your warantee is shot anyways, or if you dont care...the next logical step is better gearing...the 2nd biggest bang for the buck after a tune. Be aware.. anything over 3.73 is complete overkill and not Ford supported. The track packages on the GT max out at that gear level....for a reason! For me at least, I wouldnt go over 3.55 with a good tune or if you plan to S/C it. (Im talking automatic tranny here)
Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #206
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
As was already stated, keep this thread on topic and stop the bickering.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

In my experience I couldnt wait to yank it off my previous mustang when my car ran rougher and was made aware of its unsupported configuration with my model GT. Just because a mod "bolts on" doesnt make it OK for every application. Like everyone else here, I enjoy the performance game and am always looking for an edge.

Time to move on.

The BanHammer contains white out....
Old 08-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

I wanna thank you for this right up. Its better than any youtube video or other instruction I have seen manifold works great pulls like a train

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
anoa324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

You drive trains, awesome

Old 08-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

I dabble in conductor work

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
anoa324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT