Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold! - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:44 AM   #211
Registered User
Newbie
 
W1Ck3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kingsland
Region: Georgia
Posts: 17
Very nice install instructions and conversation, being a noob here, it's nice to see the discussion of likes and dislikes of owners for a better idea of where I can take my build.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
W1Ck3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #212
Registered Member
Regular
 
UrMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Morris
Region: Illinois
Posts: 630
I think it works better with more supporting mods such as a bigger tb, long tube headers, off road exhaust etc.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2011 GT Premium A6 glass roof.
Dynatech LT's, OR-X, Kooks Axle-back, Circle D 5c, Boss IM, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, BMR LCA's, adj UCA & Panhard,Strange 10 way struts, 331 gears tuned by AED.
UrMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #213
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Los Angles
Region: California
Posts: 35
Nice
Skarakis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #214
Registered Member
Regular
 
Compstall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,160
There's a guy locally here selling the Boss mani, Steeda CAI, and stock TB for $500.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
- Brent
'11 GT Kona Blue Brembo
"Measure with micrometers, mark with a scribe, chop with an axe"
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #215
Registered Member
Regular
 
eliasj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Beaverton
Region: Oregon
Posts: 24
Nice post.
eliasj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #216
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Camarillo
Region: California
Posts: 10
Will you lose a lot of torque with boss mani?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ssgtleak84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #217
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,837
Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssgtleak84 View Post
Will you lose a lot of torque with boss mani?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Nothing really noticeable. My mods:
-AirAid CAI
-Boss Mani
-Cat delete pipes
-3" catback exhaust
-93 octane hybrid tune
-MT street comp 305/35/20
-2" drop
-LCA and LCA reloc bracket
-3.31 gears

I can floor it from a 5mph roll with clutch fully engaged and 1st gear can still peel out past 6000/6300rpm on a 90 degree day and 5500rpm on a 70 or cooler day. Throttle response is very good past 3000 rpm. The 5.0 motor is pretty much like a Honda engine below 3k no matter what mani you run.

Keep in mind the 28.41" tall MT tires effectively makes the 3.31 gears even taller to something like 3.21 I can't remember the calculation.

My dyno was 423whp and 391 torque. Or maybe 401 torque I cant remember I lost the dyno sheet.

Either way the torque loss is overly exaggerated and the benefit is that you have more total HP and torque under the entire curve than a stock mani.

What I mean is if you color the area below the non boss mani curve blue and color the area of the boss mani fold power curve green, you can overlap the two areas and see that there is a shiit more green than blue indicating more total hp throughout the curve especially past 6500rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #218
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 15,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Nothing really noticeable. My mods:
-AirAid CAI
-Boss Mani
-Cat delete pipes
-3" catback exhaust
-93 octane hybrid tune
-MT street comp 305/35/20
-2" drop
-LCA and LCA reloc bracket
-3.31 gears

I can floor it from a 5mph roll with clutch fully engaged and 1st gear can still peel out past 6000/6300rpm on a 90 degree day and 5500rpm on a 70 or cooler day. Throttle response is very good past 3000 rpm. The 5.0 motor is pretty much like a Honda engine below 3k no matter what mani you run.

Keep in mind the 28.41" tall MT tires effectively makes the 3.31 gears even taller to something like 3.21 I can't remember the calculation.

My dyno was 423whp and 391 torque. Or maybe 401 torque I cant remember I lost the dyno sheet.

Either way the torque loss is overly exaggerated and the benefit is that you have more total HP and torque under the entire curve than a stock mani.

What I mean is if you color the area below the non boss mani curve blue and color the area of the boss mani fold power curve green, you can overlap the two areas and see that there is a shiit more green than blue indicating more total hp throughout the curve especially past 6500rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
But if you aren't shifting past 7k its not exactly worth it from everything I'm reading but that's secondhand info, not personal experience. Been looking into it a bit if my 98 doesn't sell and I wind up swapping it in the future.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #219
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
But if you aren't shifting past 7k its not exactly worth it from everything I'm reading but that's secondhand info, not personal experience. Been looking into it a bit if my 98 doesn't sell and I wind up swapping it in the future.

Yes if you don't shift higher than 6500 then you actually have less total hp and torque vs a stock mani. But the plus side is if you shift at 75/7600 you have more total power and that 7600 redline means you can be in your power band for longer.

I think my tire, gear, and redline allows me to run to 114/115mph in third.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #220
Registered User
Newbie
 
molloygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Hey guys here's a question on the subject of the boss mani I have a 2014 gt and I've been toying with idea of putting the boss mani on but I noticed on american muscle that the only install kit I can find if for the stock air box so what I'm wondering is there another install kit or something else I need because I have a bbk cold air intake already installed


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
molloygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #221
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 8,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloygt View Post
Hey guys here's a question on the subject of the boss mani I have a 2014 gt and I've been toying with idea of putting the boss mani on but I noticed on american muscle that the only install kit I can find if for the stock air box so what I'm wondering is there another install kit or something else I need because I have a bbk cold air intake already installed


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...stallation-Kit



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #222
Registered User
Newbie
 
molloygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Thanks



Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
molloygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #223
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 15,297
So now with the 2015 out and supposedly the 2015 intake being way better than the 11-14 GT intake and just as good (if not better) than the Boss... is the Boss intake done?
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #224
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 8,843
The 2015 intake is not good for higher rpms though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #225
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 15,297
Hmmm, I've seen a few ppl posting its just as good but maybe not. I know AM was able to net a few tenths by swapping from the boss back to the 2015 on the 2015 drag car but it was having nitrous distribution issues so they swapped back to the boss for runs on the N2O.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #226
Registered User
Newbie
 
molloygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
No the boss intake is not done I was just going to order it today then I got caught up with the install kit thing....and I wanted the look of the boss manifold so I don't think I would go for the 2015


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
molloygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #227
Registered User
Newbie
 
molloygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Also i would like to add a bbk 85mm tb ...any thoughts?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
molloygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #228
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 15,297
Yeah find another brand.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #229
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 8,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Hmmm, I've seen a few ppl posting its just as good but maybe not. I know AM was able to net a few tenths by swapping from the boss back to the 2015 on the 2015 drag car but it was having nitrous distribution issues so they swapped back to the boss for runs on the N2O.
I have not seen any graphs with the 15 manifold holding power to 8k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #230
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,837
Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold!

They broke 9's by swapping back to the Boss Mani and spraying.

Here's a link on their build. Looks like the biggest factor are nearly 3-400lbs weight reduction, skinnies and slicks, and a 150 shot nitrous.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-firs...con-1662776299

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #231
Registered Member
Regular
 
Compstall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,160
Gotta spend the $200 on the Boss intake tube, or, spend a little more and get a CAI.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
__________________
- Brent
'11 GT Kona Blue Brembo
"Measure with micrometers, mark with a scribe, chop with an axe"
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #232
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloygt View Post
Also i would like to add a bbk 85mm tb ...any thoughts?
Keep the stock throttle body.
__________________
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Automatic

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #233
Registered User
Newbie
 
molloygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Is the stock throttle body better?or is it just not worth it to change


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
molloygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #234
Registered Member
Regular
 
Compstall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,160
It's a LOT of money for little to no gain

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
- Brent
'11 GT Kona Blue Brembo
"Measure with micrometers, mark with a scribe, chop with an axe"
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #235
Registered Member
Regular
 
Nvrfastenough87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clearwater
Region: Florida
Posts: 91
Isn't it also pretty risky to rev high enough to get any real power out of it?... I have one and I definitely feel a little lack of torque in the lows but it does seem to pull harder than stock up top.. I know a guy who was going past 7200 (he claims 7500) running the 1/4 to get the full potential out of his boss 302 and blew his motor after like 6 passes.. new car, work just done by an extremely reputable shop in tampa fl.... Rod gave out..

So... unless you upgrade your internals is it even really worth it????
__________________
.... I didn't know I couldn't do that officer...
Nvrfastenough87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #236
Registered Member
Regular
 
Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Battlement
Region: Colorado
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87 View Post
Isn't it also pretty risky to rev high enough to get any real power out of it?... I have one and I definitely feel a little lack of torque in the lows but it does seem to pull harder than stock up top.. I know a guy who was going past 7200 (he claims 7500) running the 1/4 to get the full potential out of his boss 302 and blew his motor after like 6 passes.. new car, work just done by an extremely reputable shop in tampa fl.... Rod gave out..

So... unless you upgrade your internals is it even really worth it????
That's weird. The boss has upgraded internals over the regular 5.0. So it wouldn't be safe without upgraded upgraded internals?
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #237
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,236
I have my shift points set at 7600. Yes it's safe as long as the tune is safe.
__________________
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Automatic

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #238
Registered Member
Regular
 
Nvrfastenough87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clearwater
Region: Florida
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
That's weird. The boss has upgraded internals over the regular 5.0. So it wouldn't be safe without upgraded upgraded internals?
Do I really have to say I meant having a boss mani on a standard stang.....
__________________
.... I didn't know I couldn't do that officer...
Nvrfastenough87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #239
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,837
Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87 View Post
Isn't it also pretty risky to rev high enough to get any real power out of it?... I have one and I definitely feel a little lack of torque in the lows but it does seem to pull harder than stock up top.. I know a guy who was going past 7200 (he claims 7500) running the 1/4 to get the full potential out of his boss 302 and blew his motor after like 6 passes.. new car, work just done by an extremely reputable shop in tampa fl.... Rod gave out..

So... unless you upgrade your internals is it even really worth it????

You did really say it and I quote "to get the full potential out of his boss 302..." Lol

Now if you said Boss mani instead of boss 302 that's a different story

Though your comment of going past 7200/7500rpm is a clue but 90% of people will miss that


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #240
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 8,843
8k here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #241
Registered Member
Regular
 
Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Battlement
Region: Colorado
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvrfastenough87 View Post
Do I really have to say I meant having a boss mani on a standard stang.....
Yeah I thought you meant blew up the engine in his "boss 302" my bad ha ha. I was going to say Jesus that's must have been a fluke.

And I figured a boss 302 would rev to 8000 no big deal.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #242
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 15,297
I thought that too, I mean the boss rev limit is that from the factory. Even ppl on the regular Coyote set it to 7500 with a good tune. IMHO, if your motor blows up at 7500 you had a **** tuner. At least from all the interwebz research I've done. I'll let ppl like Grabber confirm but I know he shifts the auto at mid 7k range.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #243
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 8,843
The boss redlines at 7500 from ford.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #244
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 8,843
I usually shift around 7800.

The boss stops building power around 7600 anyways.

It will hold the power, but does not necessarily keep building past 7600

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #245
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

The boss stops building power around 7600 anyways.

It will hold the power, but does not necessarily keep building past 7600
That's why I have my shift points set there. Any higher and it would be of no benefit for me.



I had my stock manifold shifting at 7300.
__________________
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Automatic

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem after typhoon intake manifold install. RudyJ 1996-2004 Mustang GT 11 02-12-2011 07:46 AM
Would you rather have a 2012 or an old BOSS 302? Lalayla Boss Mustang 54 02-12-2011 12:05 AM
making of the boss 302 tigercrazy718 General Mustang Discussion 6 12-10-2010 08:04 AM
The BOSS 302 is back PureVenom General Mustang Discussion 10 12-26-2006 05:24 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:15 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.