Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Jarrod@latemodel is unknown around these parts
Re: Install of the Boss 302 intake manifold!

Compared side by side, you'd pick the Boss 302 Intake all day long based on looks alone! You can also see the locations of the retaining bolts in these pics. Admittedly, we got in a hurry & forgot to check the inlet opening sizes, but we'll get that info for you soon.

Okay, stop staring at the intake & get ready to put it on. Set the fuel rails in to place on the Boss intake & engage the injectors in to their respective ports. As you can see, the stock fuel rails clear just fine. This also illustrates the vast difference in the intakes, as the front crossover tube used to be above the throttle body!

The new intake comes with gaskets already installed, so all you have to do is set the Boss Intake on the heads & finger tighten the 6 retaining bolts. At the back of the intake, only the outer 2 of the 4 wiring harness retainers have a spot to attach, go ahead & affix them to the intake.

Slide in the 4 fuel rail retaining bolts & finger tighten those as well. Torque the 6 Intake bolts to 89in-lb using the following sequence.

Torque the 4 fuel rail retaining bolts to 89in-lb using the following sequence.

Plug in all the injector electrical connectors, connect the fuel supply line, & reinstall the foam sound deadeners. Set the booster vacuum tube in to place & reinstall both plastic heater hose brackets.

Re-attach the throttle body. Doesn't that Nitrous Plate just look baller? Nitro Dave & the crew & Nitrous Outlet take their nitrous seriously.

In its stock orientation, the brake booster hose won't want to cooperate when trying to attach it to the Boss Intake.

Twist it around like so & it will go on kink free. Remember to have you 2 pair of pliers & a friend ready for this step.

Re-attach the breather tube. See that loose connector hanging there in the breeze? That is for your purge valve, which we'll cover next.

The purge valve. Its purpose is to vent fuel tank vapor in to the intake manifold during certain operating conditions. All we've seen on the 'net so far is that one company left it dangling. Well, that is an option. You car does not need it to run. However, in my experience, this will cause the check engine light to illuminate. On the stock intake, the purge valve attached directly to the intake behind the throttle body. On the 2012 Boss 302, the purge valve is located on the driver side rear of the intake & it is plumbed a little differently. You can get the correct Boss hoses, purge valve & bracket for just under $200 when they are available, but they are not currently available. Plus, you'll still have to lengthen your wiring harness to reach the new purge valve on the other side of the motor. While this is the most correct way to complete the install, it didn't help us at all right now. So good old southern ingenuity kicked in & we determined that if we made a run to the parts store to acquire an M8x1.25 bolt with some washers, 2 feet of fuel/emissions hose, & some hose clamps, we'd be in business & functioning as intended. So here is our fix. Is it ideal, no, but there is nothing wrong with it either. It gets the job done for now until something new comes about.

Squeeze on the 3/8" fuel/emisson hose. It is a tight fit, but apply a little lube & it will go on. Put on a clamp & tighten it down.

Remove the rubber insulators as they won't be needed. Using a bolt, a flat washer, & a lock washer (the lock washer goes between the head of the bolt & the flat washer) attach the purge valve to the engine block. It was kind of hard to get a good pic of this, but hopefully you get the gist. Plug the electrical connector back in & re-connect the purge line.

Run the fuel/emission hose under the neck of the intake & connect it to the remaining open port on the driver side of the intake, clamping the connection.

It has been widely reported that the Steeda cold air intake will not fit with the Boss 302 manifold, but I'm happy to report that it darn sure will. Now don't get me wrong, it's not a slide it on & done type of deal, but you can make it fit. We didn't even cut anything. Yes, there is a .75" nitrous plate installed on this car, but I can't help but think that only made the fitment a bit more difficult, if anything. Take your time & have an extra set of hands around to help tighten clamps or hold the intake in place. Supposedly the JLT CAI fits a little better, we'll be finding out for sure soon.

Oh, & don't even bother trying to re-use your stock strut tower brace. We'll be trying several different varieties & listing which ones fit in the description of the Boss Manifold.

Because of the difference in airflow this intake provides, a custom tune will be necessary. We do have the required tune available as we speak, so no worries there! Load you new custom tune in your Mustang & start it up. It will sound a little angry at first as she re-learns everything, but it'll smooth right out & you'll be on the road enjoying your newfound power! Speaking of power, we we're unable to get to the dyno, but we'll be posting #s as soon as we have the ability to do so.

We offer the intake by itself:
2011-2012 Mustang 5.0L Ford Racing Boss 302 Intake Manifold, M-9424-M50BR

or with the required custom tune:
2011-12 Mustang 5.0L Ford Racing Boss 302 Intake Manifold M-9424-M50BR With BBR Custom Tune

Don't forget to paint your coil covers, or replace them with the Blue FRPP Coil Covers to complete the Boss 302 appearance!

Jarrod@latemodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

PureVenom is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Great information. Stickied.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

very nice post thanks for the time/effort to post it!
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Road Trip!

sno4life is unknown around these parts
Thanks for the info!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

No problem guys. Car is a beast.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

vegasfergie is unknown around these parts

That's awesome. Can't wait to see dyno numbers. Good thread and write up guys.

2010 Ford Raptor Blue, 5.4
vegasfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

jimbullit is unknown around these parts

Wow-I'm salivating..! And thank you-and do post those dyno numbers-please!
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Dyno numbers will be posted just as soon as we get them. Hopefully in the coming weeks.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The Darkside is unknown around these parts

i cant wait for the dyno numbs, that is sick!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Dyno numbers have been all over the place with this. Still do not have any numbers with the N20 yet, but without it we were able to lay down 420/379. I have seen it as high as 441/400.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Napoleon85 is unknown around these parts

I just followed this guide for my Boss 302 Intake Manifold install, and there are a couple of concerns/issue that I would like to bring up.

1. You should not install the fuel rails until the intake manifold has been seated and the bolts torqued. There is no way to get a straight socket onto the front bolts with the the fuel rails in place. This prevents you from accurately torquing the bolts to spec. It is very easy to put the fuel rails on with the manifold on the heads.

2. Ensure that you depressurize the fuel system. No matter what anyone tells you, it WILL shoot all over the place and wrapping a towel around it is not sufficient.

3. The stock airbox and tube DO NOT WORK with the Boss intake manifold. I was not able to find this information anywhere prior to my install, so perhaps I am the first person to try it, but it just isn't possible. After screwing with if for about an hour and a half I was able to get my hood shut, but it's not pretty and putting a lot of stress on the hood and intake, as well as a part of the intake is being shoved into a metal part of the cooling system and was already starting to melt after a 10 min drive.

I will post pictures tomorrow illustrating why the stock intake does not fit, and what I had to do as a temporary fix (my Mustang is grounded until I get a CAI, I'm not comfortable squishing the intake and putting undue stress on the hood/latch).
Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The Darkside is unknown around these parts

has anyone else installed the intake with no problems? or does anyone know anyone?
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't have any problems, unless you consider not having the appropriate intake a problem.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

avengnd is unknown around these parts

Wow, What a great walk through.

Garage; Videos: Dyno Track Exhaust (40 Series Flowmasters)
avengnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Benzo is unknown around these parts

I agree great walkthrough this will help me do my own install. You guys are so much help thanks!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

M3to5.0 is unknown around these parts

I was chatting with a guy from Lethal Performance (Lethal Tim I believe) and he actually advised AGAINST the Boss 302 Manifold, said it was more or less a waste of money UNLESS you changed the heads and cams as well, apparently the Boss 302 has different heads and cams than our 5.0's. Dont shoot me, but I have to listen to a guy who makes commission off of his sales when he says its a waste of money.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

blackhawk 1 is unknown around these parts

Now u tell us .
Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

M3to5.0 is unknown around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk 1 View Post
Now u tell us .

Sorry, I just joined the site today.... if nothing else it LOOKS cool...lol
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Supporter
Staff

primer2tone is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0

Sorry, I just joined the site today.... if nothing else it LOOKS cool...lol
You speak the truth! In my circles their is a kid who spent about $2k getting that Boss intake installed on his '11 5.0 and I still ran him down from a rolling 30mph. Maybe his tune was wack or maybe he can't shift for **** but I would've expected him to at least have the edge.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The boss shows gains from 5000 to 7800 and if u have a good tune it's definetly worth it. My boss is only going to cost me 400$ as I am going for full bolt on and need all the other mods anyway. And custom dyno tune is the way to go to maximize your gains!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Brett Greene is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cheema
has anyone else installed the intake with no problems? or does anyone know anyone?
Very easy to do
Old 10-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #22
It's not me, it's you.
Supporter
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo
The boss shows gains from 5000 to 7800 and if u have a good tune it's definetly worth it. My boss is only going to cost me 400$ as I am going for full bolt on and need all the other mods anyway. And custom dyno tune is the way to go to maximize your gains!
When do you plan to do it? I've seen the write up on it, it's something I could do myself but I need to see some solid numbers and a good tune before I void my warranty for it.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

When do you plan to do it? I've seen the write up on it, it's something I could do myself but I need to see some solid numbers and a good tune before I void my warranty for it.
The week of the 10th but not going to dyno tune till around December. Stage 3 motor sports is going to send me some tunes when I order my sct tuner and JLT cai. These tunes I will run until I do my custom dyno tune. Cuz after I install the boss and jlt I'm going to still need to install my LT's and o/r xpipe.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
The week of the 10th but not going to dyno tune till around December. Stage 3 motor sports is going to send me some tunes when I order my sct tuner and JLT cai. These tunes I will run until I do my custom dyno tune. Cuz after I install the boss and jlt I'm going to still need to install my LT's and o/r xpipe.
What LTs and X are you going with?

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Vanessa's Vaughn Gittin Jr. 2011 Mustang 5.0 - YouTube

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Also, here's AMs car which has the following mods
  • Boss 302 Intake Manifold
  • 4.10 Gears
  • Off-road X-pipe
  • cat-back
  • sticky tires

2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Runs 10.43 @ 130 MPH with Boss Intake Manifold - YouTube

This is an AUTO and put down 404/355 and did 11.64 (before the juice).
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
Road Trip!

wnt2gofst is unknown around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
You speak the truth! In my circles their is a kid who spent about $2k getting that Boss intake installed on his '11 5.0 and I still ran him down from a rolling 30mph. Maybe his tune was wack or maybe he can't shift for **** but I would've expected him to at least have the edge.
2K for it and install. He got ripped off. YOu can buy the Boss intake for $389 shipped.

A tune is key to maximize the Boss. If you are not revving it to 7800 rpms with a manual you are wasting money doing it. If you do not have 3.73's gears with it you are wasting money doing it.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Also here is my car dyno. 464whp. My car just ran a 11.4@119 with the DA still 1500. It has bottom 11's in it with cooler weather. It is worth it if you have some supporting mods to go along.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Supporter
Staff

That's what I'm looking for! I wanna run the steeda cai but will I need a tune for that as well or will the Boss tune accommodate the cai also? I've never installed a tune in a car before, so I'm a little confused.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

We can get you a tune with the CAI. If you buy it all at once, then thats even easier for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

AM sells the intake, CAI, and tuner as a kit probably the best route to go and of course life tine tunes. This will be the route I go if I go with the Boss 302 intake.

Link http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-p...ck-1112gt.html

Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The AM/Bama tune is pretty conservative. I'm not saying that's bad, just keep in mind that there may be bigger gains from other tunes at the cost of pushing your engine farther toward the limit.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #30
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
AM sells the intake, CAI, and tuner as a kit probably the best route to go and of course life tine tunes. This will be the route I go if I go with the Boss 302 intake.
We also offer the same thing. Free tunes for life program. I can get it for you with the JLT or the Steeda CAI.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod@LRS

We also offer the same thing. Free tunes for life program. I can get it for you with the JLT or the Steeda CAI.
You match or beat the AM price?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #32
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

PM me or call me and we can work it out.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Las0mbra is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Random question... Who does your tuning?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #34
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Chris from BBR
Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Las0mbra is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Chris from BBR
Oh cool, never knew that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT