Ok after cat x-pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ok after cat x-pipe

Should I get the after cat x-pipe by bbk? Am I gonna see a hp gain? Over stock h? I already have slploudmouth just ordered my sct tuner next is steeda cai and 4.10's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2879457860.png
Views:	309
Size:	614.9 KB
ID:	25748  
FireRescueBRFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Ok clicked on the wrong pic on my iPad lol
Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3961328736.png
Views:	317
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	25749  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Ok after cat x-pipe

Do the OR X or OR H thats where you are gonna see the power with the current mods.That will get you 400+ whp.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't want to void my warranty I fully investigated the matter not only that it's a 2500.00 ticket by PD not worth it.also the new 2011 high high flow cats stock.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Regular
Supporter

You get one tune for the stock mid pipe and another for the OR mid pipe so you can switch them out for inspection or warranty issue......its actually very simple.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I don't want to swap out pipes to goto dealer for servicing
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Regular
Supporter

How often are you really gonna go for service?.......seriously?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Every 5k miles oil change, tire rotations etc
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Regular
Supporter

You can do all that yourself and save money.But if you cant....stick with your stock system and enjoy. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have the patience to change my own oil rather kick back and let someone else deal with it, thanks for all your help buddy
Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

No hp really! If so no more than 3 or 4! But the sound will change to more high pitch cus of X. But I know u said you don't switch back and forth to o/r H or o/r X for oil change which can get annoying but to see mass gains o/r is the way to go! So really you just bought that X pipe for sound. I'm gonna go with o/r H cus I change my own oil or at least I'm gonna be changing my own, haven't did first oil change yet! Takes roughly an hour to change out that pipe to another pipe!
SaleenV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to MrTibbij

Opinions change throughout the site, but from what I have heard from the mustangs with an x pipe the x introduces sort of a raspy, unrefined v8 sound. I still have the stock H pipe with custom exhaust and I will be getting BBK shorty headers, but I definitly am going to stay away from the x pipe. I just don't like the sound the x pipe gives you, and I think I am in the minority here. I want deep and throaty smooth sound without any rasp or what I have always referred to as "trash" sound, think glass pack (not quite as bad)....

A local mustang shop that does custom tuning told me that typically your not gonna see a huge gain with an x pipe over an h pipe, just a different overall sound. Now before anyone jumps me, he said that the gains that everyone talks about are from switching from a catted car to OR x pipe. The elimination of the cat is where the gain comes from. Hope this helps!
2011 Ruby Red w/ a Tinted Clear Coat GT California Special: Airraid CAI, Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-back Exhaust, SCT Performance Tune, 6 spd, HID Lamps, 3.73 Limited Slip, Confort, Security, Electronics Packages.
MrTibbij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you mr tibb very good information
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTibbij View Post
Opinions change throughout the site, but from what I have heard from the mustangs with an x pipe the x introduces sort of a raspy, unrefined v8 sound. I still have the stock H pipe with custom exhaust and I will be getting BBK shorty headers, but I definitly am going to stay away from the x pipe. I just don't like the sound the x pipe gives you, and I think I am in the minority here. I want deep and throaty smooth sound without any rasp or what I have always referred to as "trash" sound, think glass pack (not quite as bad)....

A local mustang shop that does custom tuning told me that typically your not gonna see a huge gain with an x pipe over an h pipe, just a different overall sound. Now before anyone jumps me, he said that the gains that everyone talks about are from switching from a catted car to OR x pipe. The elimination of the cat is where the gain comes from. Hope this helps!
I agree. Do your research based on the overall sound in the interior of the vehicle, as well. "Too many decibels" inside, equals headache for you and your passengers . Try and strike a balance between exhaust note/performance/good driveability!! You will be alot happier!
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRescueBRFD View Post
I don't want to void my warranty I fully investigated the matter not only that it's a 2500.00 ticket by PD not worth it.also the new 2011 high high flow cats stock.
+ 1 yellow Blaze very cool - but tickets ? voided warranty ? Is that for the pipes without cats + noise ? I have the muffler deletes + catted X pipe , it is loud ... good loud and I did go to dealer to get first oil change and I will continue to do so - never a word from them and oil changes free . In all my years of having a Loud mustang the only time the police said anything to me was to ask about my set up for their own car .
LbarJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRescueBRFD
I don't have the patience to change my own oil rather kick back and let someone else deal with it, thanks for all your help buddy
Not to be a dick but if you don't have the patience or interest to simply change your oil you probably should never modify a car in any way other than like rims and tint
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Regular
Supporter

Guys lets not forget that this is a 2011 not a new edge or a 05-10. The OR mid pipe has proven to be the main power adder here.....just as much as adding LTs. A member on S197 has a 2011 with Lund 93 tune,cai,OR X and axelbacks pulled 427whp......that is impressive and is what I will be doing.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to MrTibbij

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Guys lets not forget that this is a 2011 not a new edge or a 05-10. The OR mid pipe has proven to be the main power adder here.....just as much as adding LTs. A member on S197 has a 2011 with Lund 93 tune,cai,OR X and axelbacks pulled 427whp......that is impressive and is what I will be doing.
Yeah but I am in the same boat as him, I really don't want to go switching between pipes just to do an inspection. Yes it is easy, but there are other legal ways to gain power, probably not as cheap, but they are out there.

Also yes I do change my own oil, or used to, now I get it done by Ford because a maintenance agreement was given to me at no cost for five years, I might as well use it!
2011 Ruby Red w/ a Tinted Clear Coat GT California Special: Airraid CAI, Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-back Exhaust, SCT Performance Tune, 6 spd, HID Lamps, 3.73 Limited Slip, Confort, Security, Electronics Packages.
MrTibbij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTibbij View Post
Yeah but I am in the same boat as him, I really don't want to go switching between pipes just to do an inspection. Yes it is easy, but there are other legal ways to gain power, probably not as cheap, but they are out there.

Also yes I do change my own oil, or used to, now I get it done by Ford because a maintenance agreement was given to me at no cost for five years, I might as well use it!
Changing a Mid pipe once a year is a hassle......lemme guess....you never take your wheels off and clean the backside either? For those type of gains its a no brainer IMO. I dont change my own oil either and that is out of pure laziness but a mid pipe change to have those #s and keep my inspection current is a must.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone that has a good tech looking after his ride- has done zero to diminish his 'ownership' IMHO. There are any number of reasons for someone to 'not get their hands dirty'.. As for changing pipes for inspection(s) by some on again, off again setup-whata hassle..
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Old 04-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #22
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
Anyone that has a good tech looking after his ride- has done zero to diminish his 'ownership' IMHO. There are any number of reasons for someone to 'not get their hands dirty'.. As for changing pipes for inspection(s) by some on again, off again setup-whata hassle..

This coming from the guy that wouldnt even do his own axelbacks,lol......Just messing with ya Jim.

There are alot of things I wont do but something as simple as a mid pipe change once a year? Taking out the trash once a week,bathing the dog,mowing the lawn 2 times a week......those are hassles to me.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
There are alot of things I wont do but something as simple as a mid pipe change once a year?
Keep in mind...he lives in FLorida...there is no once a year inspection.

All in all though, I don't think I would do the X you have posted anyhow if I had your car. Kind of like what has been said, it's only halfway doing it and I can't imagine you'd see any real noticeable gains since you are removing the restriction just changing the shape of the cross over. I'd be going offroad all day long, but not everyone wants to.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #24
Regular
Supporter

So is Flordia more than once a year inspection?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
So is Flordia more than once a year inspection?
Florida has no inspections last I knew....
Old 04-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #26
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Florida has no inspections last I knew....

So then you wouldnt have to even worry bout that then....correct.

We had 3 2011s at are last dyno day and all pulled over 400whp with the mods I metioned.Why would you say you wouldnt see any real gains with these mods?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:

We had 3 2011s at are last dyno day and all pulled over 400whp with the mods I metioned.Why would you say you wouldnt see any real gains with these mods?
Correct, there would be no need to swap as there is no need to get inspected.

I was saying you wouldn't see any real gains with just changing from the stock H to the X without removing or improving the stock cats. I didn't really read your post with the mods people had...I was just commenting to the OP that I wouldn't really do it if he wasn't going to do it all the way. I definitely wasn't doubting what you typed or even replying to that.

I have zero data to back up my expectation of little to no gains...however, in my mind, a 2.5" stock pipe I would expect to flow just the same as a 2.5" aftermarket pipe. The only change I See by doing an "after cat" system is going from and H to an X...which I've seen on my car do zero to gain any HP on the dyno. So, that's what I was basing my comment on.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:

Also, keep in mind he is not replacing the full mid pipe...it's just the cross over section keeping the stock cats...at least, that's how I read the pic that he posted up. So in effect, he's only changing piping.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #29
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:

Also, I think I'm in agreement with you that he should do the O/R so that he could get the full benefits...either go O/R or not at all...the after cat to me seems like a waste of $230.

At least, I think you were saying go O/R. I don't know...I'm brain dead today.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Also, I think I'm in agreement with you that he should do the O/R so that he could get the full benefits...either go O/R or not at all...the after cat to me seems like a waste of $230.

At least, I think you were saying go O/R. I don't know...I'm brain dead today.
Yes,thats what I was saying go Off road all the way and he will see some great gains. I will be doing mine this way soon but I may do the Off road H. Just gonna need 2 tunes so I can pass the inspection here.IMO those are some great gains with those 4 mods,bout the same as doing LTS but cheaper.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This coming from the guy that wouldnt even do his own axelbacks,lol......Just messing with ya Jim.

There are alot of things I wont do but something as simple as a mid pipe change once a year? Taking out the trash once a week,bathing the dog,mowing the lawn 2 times a week......those are hassles to me.
FWIW-I used to be alot more 'hands on' in the driveway , priding myself on oil changes, most maintenance concerns, general upkeep. I work 50+ hours a week , and have other activities-outside of a 6 day work week , in the evenings, as well. It's not that I don't have the skill/desire/tools. Time is at a premium. Having a technician-at nearly my 'beck and call',with a simple phone call-that has a LIFT, and a much bigger skill set than myself-becomes a 'no brainer', for me. He makes all of the stuff I need done, 'look like child's play'. That's worth alot to me. Interesting though-the things that you mentioned as being a 'hassle'-are things that I actually enjoy. I've been doing those things, since I was old enough to earn an allowance-at about 7 or 8 years old...

Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

FYI I dont do my own oil cause I like having proof of maintenance records for sale of the vehicle and I make over 30.00hr my time alones worth more. I had a 2001 Gt I did everything on my own my 2011 is gonna be kept like new and a book of records no offense to the guys that like doing everything on thier own I used to enjoy that stuff. I am however installing my boss 302 intake on my own I'll post pics
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Well I went to blow by racing today to have my tune adjusted, and left with an offroad x-pipe and a short antenna fml my car is insanely loud it's basically strait pipe offroad x - slp axle back loudmouths. It sounds like a strait race car lol it can be controlled by over shifting
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #34
Regular
Supporter

I bet you gained some HP by adding that OR X. The mid pipe seems to be the magic part.Ive seen OR mid pipes add as much power as LTs on the 5.0's
Old 05-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

It's dyno proven 20 to the tires they said.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT