How to get the best sound out of my 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
How to get the best sound out of my 5.0?

Ok, so i have a 2011 5.0. What's the best sounding exhaust out there? Im not looking for or really even caring about gaming/losing a few HP. The car is plenty fast enough for me. For me it's all about the sound. My 2000 GT sounded good with flowmasters, but didn't really sound perfect until i got my cold air intake. Is that the case with the 5.0?

I just want that perfect pur, nothing obnoxious. I have a mild budget in mind of around a thousand if possible, but will go further if needed. Experts help me please.

Thanks in advance.

Resident Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I just got my 5.0 GT premium a month ago, I haven't changed my setup yet. But I did a little research and I found that Borla has one of the nicest axlebacks on the 5.0's w/o the drone... Do a YouTube search on Borla they have 3 different types of exhausts for the 5.0.... I have my sights set on the s-type, they're not cheap, but u wanna get the best for your stang
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Regular

Re: How to get the best sound out of my 5.0?

Borla is amazing quality. The clips I have heard of the 5.0 have been fantastic.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Borlas are a ......I gotta have that cuz everyone else says its the best...IMO. The Roush are just as goo IMO.No drone,sound great ect,ect.....and not as expensive.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have the stainless steel works retro 3 inch catback. It is loud outside the car but not obnoxious in the car. It cost $750. None of the you tube videos I have heard do it justice. I have also heard the flowmaster hushpower and they sound really good for an axle back. Good luck in deciding, it took me about a month of you tube and mustang stalking before I made the leap.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I like the sound of the Roush. It's the direction im leaning.

Roush exhaust kit for 489.00
ROUSH Performance: 2011-2012 Mustang Exhaust Kit with Square Tips (5.0L V8)

Roush Cold Air Intake for 225.00
ROUSH Performance: 2010-2011 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake Kit

Well under the 1K i wanted to spend. I can put the intake on myself and should be able to get the exhaust kit put on for fairly cheap.

Anyone have these items and not like them?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpd3014 View Post
I have the stainless steel works retro 3 inch catback. It is loud outside the car but not obnoxious in the car. It cost $750. None of the you tube videos I have heard do it justice. I have also heard the flowmaster hushpower and they sound really good for an axle back. Good luck in deciding, it took me about a month of you tube and mustang stalking before I made the leap.

Just looked at your pic gallery. Car looks bad ***. Im about to begin my modding phase.

I've manged to keep the miles fairly low. Just hit 5K, and had i since last August.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Saint
I like the sound of the Roush. It's the direction im leaning.

Roush exhaust kit for 489.00
ROUSH Performance: 2011-2012 Mustang Exhaust Kit with Square Tips (5.0L V8)

Roush Cold Air Intake for 225.00
ROUSH Performance: 2010-2011 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake Kit

Well under the 1K i wanted to spend. I can put the intake on myself and should be able to get the exhaust kit put on for fairly cheap.

Anyone have these items and not like them?
Hey, I followed a link, and the rear valance that fits the tips is only $175, and I think it would make it look 100x's better... It's under the area that says what it fits.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
Hey, I followed a link, and the rear valance that fits the tips is only $175, and I think it would make it look 100x's better... It's under the area that says what it fits.
I saw that too. I will research that further as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I saw that too. I will research that further as well.
Yeah, idk, I just think the tips will look weird in round holes since they have square tips.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, idk, I just think the tips will look weird in round holes since they have square tips.
here is the square tips with rear valance package for 644

ROUSH Performance: 2011-2012 Mustang Exhaust with Square Tips and Rear Valance (5.0L V8)

and here is round tips

ROUSH Performance: 2011-2012 Mustang Exhaust Kit with Round Tips
Old 04-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, haha, okay... I still think the newer rear valance makes it look so much better.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just looked at your pic gallery. Car looks bad ***. Im about to begin my modding phase.

I've manged to keep the miles fairly low. Just hit 5K, and had i since last August.
Thanks, I've had my car since October and I just hit 1200. But I'm lucky I have a company car to drive to and from work so I don't have to put normal miles on the stangs.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh, haha, okay... I still think the newer rear valance makes it look so much better.
it does look good.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've been pretty happy with my choice , thus far. Zero 'drone/raspiness', inside the cabin-at any speed. It kind of has the exhaust note that, 'it should have left the factory with', sound..Magnaflow.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Regular
Supporter

Remember that whatever exhaust you pick,its gonna sound alot quiter than what you were or are use to.The 2011 interior was built for comfort and blocks out alot of road noise,hence the Ol sound excitement tube McGillicutty.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

everyone has their own opinion when it comes to exhaust. I recommend good quality, as far as which I would listen and see what fits best with you. See if you can get a ride as well to hear the car at cruising speeds (drone)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Borlas are a ......I gotta have that cuz everyone else says its the best...IMO. The Roush are just as goo IMO.No drone,sound great ect,ect.....and not as expensive.
just fyi the roushs are borlas lol
or so cody from stanghi told me. im taking my dads car there in a couple weeks to get the roush axleback and an x pipe put on

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercrazy718 View Post
just fyi the roushs are borlas lol
or so cody from stanghi told me. im taking my dads car there in a couple weeks to get the roush axleback and an x pipe put on

Never heard that,I'll have to look into that.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Bought the round tip Roush exhaust and Roush cold air intake.

I'll post a vid of sound once both are put on.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

let me know. ive only hear good things about that axle back. i hope it was the right decision since i already bought it

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:06 AM   #22

Region: Alabama
I've got Roush axle backs installed on my 2011 mustang 5.0. I have always been a huge FRPP sport mufflers fan and I've got them on my other 2011 v6. At first, Roush seemed to be just too loud but now I can't event stand the sound of FRPPs! I'm so addicted to Roush!

People will tell you it's too loud but it is so sweet you won't even be able to sleep without them by your ears! they are half the price of borla frpp etc. Why spend more???

But.. As for cai Id go for either JLT or Steeda. They both require a retune but the gains will be massive!! Great build and material quality too!
BIgponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #23

Region: South Carolina

I'll share my experience. I had a 2001 Mustang Bullitt with o/r x-pipe and flowmaster super 44 mufflers...best sound I have ever heard!!! So I traded my Bullitt in for the new 2011 5.0 and exhaust was first on my list for modding.

Step 1: Purchased Flowmaster Hushpower axlebacks since they were one of the best sounding axlebacks for the 5.0. It sounded good and deep, but just too quiet...I know they are "hush"powers.

Step 2: Removed resonators...opened the sound up, but now just sounded like a loud glass pack. Drone city!!!

Step 3: Sucked it up and bought Borla s-type catback. Installed the axlebacks (with my stock h-pipe and lack of resonators). This combo now roared like a lion and sounded very close to my old setup on my 2001 mustang. Just a lot of popping when I let of the accelerater and shifting.

Step 4: Installed the rest of the catback with the x-pipe. This actually quitened it down a tad and smoothed the sound out a lot and decreased the popping. Still no drone, just a nice rumble and scream/roar at WOT. I'm working on a video for youtube with the new setup...my flowmasters are up there already (austin101385).

Final thoughts: You get what you pay for...Borla (IMO) is the best sounding exhaust on the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with no drone and the closest sounding to my old set up. Be cautious when people tell you that FRPP and Roush are the same as Borla...they are "made" by borla, but David Borla has quoted multiple times, that the borla systems are different. You also get the million mile warranty with Borla...any rattling, drone, etc and they will make sure they eliminate it, even if that means sending you replacement parts at their expense. Most of the other exhausts I've listened to (including my hushpower) sounds like a glasspack on the new 5.0 engine. I'm in no way bashing any exhaust systems, everyone has their own tastes for what sounds good. I just wish I would have went all the way with the borla in the first place.
austin101385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin101385 View Post
I'll share my experience. I had a 2001 Mustang Bullitt with o/r x-pipe and flowmaster super 44 mufflers...best sound I have ever heard!!! So I traded my Bullitt in for the new 2011 5.0 and exhaust was first on my list for modding.

Step 1: Purchased Flowmaster Hushpower axlebacks since they were one of the best sounding axlebacks for the 5.0. It sounded good and deep, but just too quiet...I know they are "hush"powers.

Step 2: Removed resonators...opened the sound up, but now just sounded like a loud glass pack. Drone city!!!

Step 3: Sucked it up and bought Borla s-type catback. Installed the axlebacks (with my stock h-pipe and lack of resonators). This combo now roared like a lion and sounded very close to my old setup on my 2001 mustang. Just a lot of popping when I let of the accelerater and shifting.

Step 4: Installed the rest of the catback with the x-pipe. This actually quitened it down a tad and smoothed the sound out a lot and decreased the popping. Still no drone, just a nice rumble and scream/roar at WOT. I'm working on a video for youtube with the new setup...my flowmasters are up there already (austin101385).

Final thoughts: You get what you pay for...Borla (IMO) is the best sounding exhaust on the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with no drone and the closest sounding to my old set up. Be cautious when people tell you that FRPP and Roush are the same as Borla...they are "made" by borla, but David Borla has quoted multiple times, that the borla systems are different. You also get the million mile warranty with Borla...any rattling, drone, etc and they will make sure they eliminate it, even if that means sending you replacement parts at their expense. Most of the other exhausts I've listened to (including my hushpower) sounds like a glasspack on the new 5.0 engine. I'm in no way bashing any exhaust systems, everyone has their own tastes for what sounds good. I just wish I would have went all the way with the borla in the first place.
Great advice. I love my Roush but that's just my opinion.How bout sharing a vid?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #25

Here is a quick video I made...I don't know why the video didn't come out in high quality, but it's good for now.

YouTube - 2011 Mustang 5.0 Borla "S-Type" Catback

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_jCi3Fb8ZP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #26
Regular
Supporter

Nice vid. IMO you can hardly tell the diff in Borla and Roush,they both sound extremely good!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Nice vid. IMO you can hardly tell the diff in Borla and Roush,they both sound extremely good!
Thanks, I also agree that it is hard to tell a difference between the exhausts online. I am just going off of hearing the FM hushpowers and borla s-type both in person and the difference between the two. I know that roush also has a nice rumble to it, but have never heard it in person.

I am completely amazed at the lack of drone anywhere in the rpm band. It is almost completely quiet on the interstate cruising at all rpms (even between 1700-2200). Then it starts to rumble when you accelerate. I didn't think that it was possible to eliminate drone, especially when you remove the resonators, but I stand corrected.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #28
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin101385 View Post
Thanks, I also agree that it is hard to tell a difference between the exhausts online. I am just going off of hearing the FM hushpowers and borla s-type both in person and the difference between the two. I know that roush also has a nice rumble to it, but have never heard it in person.

I am completely amazed at the lack of drone anywhere in the rpm band. It is almost completely quiet on the interstate cruising at all rpms (even between 1700-2200). Then it starts to rumble when you accelerate. I didn't think that it was possible to eliminate drone, especially when you remove the resonators, but I stand corrected.

I agree 100% my Cobra had flows and just sounded beastly but had the drone and my 07 had full Kooks exhaust with Mac boomtubes and it was nasty mean. But these Roush have a totally different sound with no drone in any RPM just like you said. The Roush and Borla sound almost the same to me but I can really tell a difference in sound when compared to the flows or any other system.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Getting my axle back roush exhaust and roush cold air intake next week. Will get it put on ASAP and post a video.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #30
Regular
Supporter

Are you getting a tuner to go along with that intake?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Are you getting a tuner to go along with that intake?
To be honest I'm not a huge car and have no idea what a tuner is. So what's a tuner? Do I need one? And how much we cash we talking? Lol
Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #32
Regular
Supporter

Tuner is something you will need if you are doing a CAI unless the Roush does not require a tune.You should check with the place you ordered your cai from but lets not hijack this mans exhaust thread. Post your questions in the the proper area or use the search button to find some answers.There are a ton of CAI/tuner threads already that will probably answer your questions right away.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Tuner is something you will need if you are doing a CAI unless the Roush does not require a tune.You should check with the place you ordered your cai from but lets not hijack this mans exhaust thread. Post your questions in the the proper area or use the search button to find some answers.There are a ton of CAI/tuner threads already that will probably answer your questions right away.
This is my exhaust thread so hijack away. It doesn't mention needing a tune and I never tuned the one I had on my 2000 gt.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #34
Regular
Supporter

I believe the new edge did not require a tune but the S197s will unless you buy a CAI that states a tune is not required.Either way a CAI on a S197 is not worth the money unless you pair it up with a handheld tuner.

2011+ Ford Mustang Cold Air Intakes, Mustang Intakes at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1287

Doesnt mention anything about a tune.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT