Cold Air Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Cold Air Intake

Hi Guys, and ladies,
I just bought a 2012 Mustang GT Premium and would really like to add a different Cold Air Intake System. I just don't know what to buy, do I just get a bolt on or do I need one with a tunner? If so can I tune this myself? I don't want to spend a ton of money as I have other things I want to do but this seems to be a easy way of adding 20-40 HP. Can anyone throw out some idea's.
Thank's
Taylor
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Cold Air Intake

Taylor,there are a ton of these threads already and you can sometimes find your answer faster by using the search button.

Check out American Muscle,they have a good selection of CAI and tuner combos. You are gonna want to get a tuner with the CAI for the best performance and some CAI have to be tuned anyways. I am running the C&L cai and a SCT handheld tuner from A.M. They use Bama tunes which are on point.You will have a choice of octane and three tunes,performance,torque and race. After the tune you will feel that throttle lag disappear.I run a 93 race tune and throttle response on the race tune is amazing.Its a plug and play tuner so its easy as pie to install and operate.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Pony 12
Hi Guys, and ladies,
I just bought a 2012 Mustang GT Premium and would really like to add a different Cold Air Intake System. I just don't know what to buy, do I just get a bolt on or do I need one with a tunner? If so can I tune this myself? I don't want to spend a ton of money as I have other things I want to do but this seems to be a easy way of adding 20-40 HP. Can anyone throw out some idea's.
Thank's
Taylor
As I've posted on many cai threads. It is pointless to get one for a 2012. They come factory with one. You will gain nothing but problems if you switch it. If your lucky you will gain 5 hp tops. And that's just because of the less restrictive filter so in turn you will have dirt and debri making it through the filter. If you want power get the tuner but leave the air filter alone
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

As I've posted on many cai threads. It is pointless to get one for a 2012. They come factory with one. You will gain nothing but problems if you switch it. If your lucky you will gain 5 hp tops. And that's just because of the less restrictive filter so in turn you will have dirt and debri making it through the filter. If you want power get the tuner but leave the air filter alone
You might want to research that, people with steeda and JLT (tune required) are getting 30 peak whp and 44 in the midrange
Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Ha, Its OK, Texastboneking (Ed) knows EVERYTHING. Not to worry. He Is On Top Of Everything. Doing research night and day. Patrolling the forums for correct information to corrupt. Mustang PuPu, I mean GuRu. Yeaaaah, I got mail! I got mail! I got mail! I got mail!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

2012s Gts have Cold air intakes stock?
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Thanks so much for the info, this is all so new to me I haven't had a Mustang in 10+ yrs didn't know cai was cold air intake I will do some research and find out what my car has or what a cai would do for it.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo

You might want to research that, people with steeda and JLT (tune required) are getting 30 peak whp and 44 in the midrange
All that horsepower you mentioned is mostly the tune. Very little of that is the actual cold air intake. You don't need a tune for anvils air intake unless your swapping for a bigger mass airflow sensor or a bigger throttle body.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033
Ha, Its OK, Texastboneking (Ed) knows EVERYTHING. Not to worry. He Is On Top Of Everything. Doing research night and day. Patrolling the forums for correct information to corrupt. Mustang PuPu, I mean GuRu. Yeaaaah, I got mail! I got mail! I got mail! I got mail!
I am a ford technician. I do study them. It's my job. I wouldn't expect you to know much since you work at a hospital. You probably think you know so much because you have a huge ego because of your job. Stuck up doctors and nurses. (not all drs and nurses. Just the few like you) Cars is my life. I know a lot about them. I can tell you don't by 1 the mods you wasted money on. 2 the stupid stuff you post.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911
2012s Gts have Cold air intakes stock?
Yes. Research it. I work on them. I'll take a picture of one at work if you need to see it
Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:

All that horsepower you mentioned is mostly the tune. Very little of that is the actual cold air intake. You don't need a tune for anvils air intake unless your swapping for a bigger mass airflow sensor or a bigger throttle body.
Not anvils lol. Ment most
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #12

Region: Georgia

I believe ED knows what he is talking about. Where can I get a Tune or better a dyno-tune here in South Fla.?
maddog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Regular
Supporter

Saying the stock cai is as good a JLT or a C&L is like saying the Ford tune is just as good as a Jon Lund tune.....
Old 05-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog05
I believe ED knows what he is talking about. Where can I get a Tune or better a dyno-tune here in South Fla.?
I'm not sure in Florida. I know there is a tuner there but I dont remember his site. Let me check. It is something like vcmtuning or something.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Saying the stock cai is as good a JLT or a C&L is like saying the Ford tune is just as good as a Jon Lund tune.....
No. Not when ford put a cold air intake on it. And I never said it was better than jlt or c&l. I was trying to get across that it is pointless to do. You will get minimal gains and you will spend a lot. Now if ford put a hot air intake on which they have never done then yeah it would help you. The gain is mostly the type of filter used. Most aftermarket filters flow better. That's the gain. The tube that the air gets there in has nothing to do with it. Unless your trying to use a straw.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Regular
Supporter

So it has nothing to do with better flow? I guess all these people buying cai's are wasting their money?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
So it has nothing to do with better flow? I guess all these people buying cai's are wasting their money?
That is what I've been saying the entire time... For the MINIMAL gains you get it is no where near with the money. Just buy a filter and put it on your stock tube and try that out. You are under the placebo effect. Dynos have proved cai hp numbers are false. They proved the filter flows better. That's where your gain is. Cai is for looks mainly
Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
Regular
Supporter

Lol,to each his own I guess.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Lol,to each his own I guess.
true. but you cant argue with proven facts. ive done my research. if you are going to take a company's word then you should rethink your strategy. look at what other ppl have had done and look at their results
Old 05-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
true. but you cant argue with proven facts. ive done my research. if you are going to take a company's word then you should rethink your strategy. look at what other ppl have had done and look at their results

All you have done is give your opinion about why a aftermarket CAI is pointless vs a factory Ford one. Provide links so the OP can know exactly what you are talking about. We are both giving our opinions at this point.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It's about half and half, people have actually tuned the car with no cai and then tuned it with different cai manufacturers, it's about 15hp from the tune and 15 from the intake so it's worth it.

The stock mustang intake says "cold air intake" on it but the setup is obviously more restrictive than the aftermarket ones
Old 05-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

All you have done is give your opinion about why a aftermarket CAI is pointless vs a factory Ford one. Provide links so the OP can know exactly what you are talking about. We are both giving our opinions at this point.
Good point. I'm on my phone. When o get on my laptop I'll post my findings
Old 05-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good point. I'm on my phone. When o get on my laptop I'll post my findings
Don't get me wrong though I agree with you that if you're going to do one or the other the tune is definitely the way to go, it's not just the power it's the raised rev limiter, raised torque limiter, quicker shifts for auto tranny etc that get the car moving
Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2011 mustang gt with steeda cai + tune, and straight pipe cat-back, all I'm very happy with the results I've gotten. I will say this, adding other mods will see the benefit of having a cai, like throttle body, intake manifold, cams, heads, and exhaust. They will all work together better than w/ stock components.
klisetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:

Don't get me wrong though I agree with you that if you're going to do one or the other the tune is definitely the way to go, it's not just the power it's the raised rev limiter, raised torque limiter, quicker shifts for auto tranny etc that get the car moving
Lol I forgot the tune helps your trannies. My is a stick. It don't Change a thing for it
Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol I forgot the tune helps your trannies. My is a stick. It don't Change a thing for it
It raises the rev limiter on the manual too actually
Old 05-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:

It raises the rev limiter on the manual too actually
Yeah but does nothing for my shifting. That's all me . My rev limiter is at 7500rpms
Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah but does nothing for my shifting. That's all me . My rev limiter is at 7500rpms
Lol yeah that's true

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake