Boss 302 vs GT 5.0 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: Boss 302 vs GT 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Shelby View Post
Am I the only one that would just like to have all of the above?!?!?!?
nope
soccerfreak2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfreak2143 View Post
nope
There we go somebody has some sense here!!! haha

I would personally take the GT500 over all else only because I have dreamt of one my whole life...
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidfast5.0

You can't build a GT to outperform a Boss for $10,000

A built shortblock is around $5,000+$1,500 for installation.
A clutch to hold the power is $600-$1,200
Adjustable shocks $600-$1,500
Forged wheels $800-$2,000
Boss heads $3,000
Boss intake $550
Differential $500
Total on the low side is around $11,000 not counting any shipping or labor/installation charges. You don't seem like the kind of guy that knows much about cars so I'm sure you would have to pay a shop for the install which will run about $5,000 for all you would need done.
Dude, as someone previously noted be polite to your fellow members and don't make assumptions. As for installation I am very capable of performing the mods you've noted. If and when I planned to make my mods I was going to borrow friend's speed shop in NE and tear into the project. Second, the price difference between the 302 and 5.0 is at least $15k as I've reviewed. Forged wheels, 'adjustable' shocks, and intake are all fluff. So less your $3,000. I've installed a procharger supercharger on a 2001 F150 so figured the installation of a whipple 2.3L wouldn't be bad. But back to my thoughts, I'm trying to make a car faster than the 302 not into a 302. And btw, I'll need a new set of 31 spline axles cause I'm sure the stocks are going to twist right off so add $400.

I figured as we built the car up we'd run across additional resources for what people are breaking to know what we'd upgrade as well. Time will tell as these cars get faster. I do appreciate your comments because comments like these is how knowledge is shared and not horded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

I am surprised at what you call fluff. Seriously.

I remember having discussions like this in junior high in the late 60's...

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I am surprised at what you call fluff. Seriously.

I remember having discussions like this in junior high in the late 60's...
I am dead serious. Sure forged is lighter and stronger than cast but it doesn't mean I need them. If I plan to run the track then yea I'd get them. I don't need the intake cause the whipple comes with one. And the adjustable suspension, same comment applies... I'm not building a track car but do plan to upgrade the suspension. So in the end I may end up with an adjustable suspension based on my goals but it isn't needed up front. That is what I'm referring to fluff. Can get it later but not necessary right now.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, I just think of fluff as embroidered seat covers and faux carbon fiber...

Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
Dude, as someone previously noted be polite to your fellow members and don't make assumptions. As for installation I am very capable of performing the mods you've noted. If and when I planned to make my mods I was going to borrow friend's speed shop in NE and tear into the project. Second, the price difference between the 302 and 5.0 is at least $15k as I've reviewed. Forged wheels, 'adjustable' shocks, and intake are all fluff. So less your $3,000. I've installed a procharger supercharger on a 2001 F150 so figured the installation of a whipple 2.3L wouldn't be bad. But back to my thoughts, I'm trying to make a car faster than the 302 not into a 302. And btw, I'll need a new set of 31 spline axles cause I'm sure the stocks are going to twist right off so add $400.

I figured as we built the car up we'd run across additional resources for what people are breaking to know what we'd upgrade as well. Time will tell as these cars get faster. I do appreciate your comments because comments like these is how knowledge is shared and not horded.
Quote:
I am dead serious. Sure forged is lighter and stronger than cast but it doesn't mean I need them. If I plan to run the track then yea I'd get them. I don't need the intake cause the whipple comes with one. And the adjustable suspension, same comment applies... I'm not building a track car but do plan to upgrade the suspension. So in the end I may end up with an adjustable suspension based on my goals but it isn't needed up front. That is what I'm referring to fluff. Can get it later but not necessary right now.
I was being friendly and polite.

Now, I will be a smartass. I forgot that you were the guy who wants 700+ hp rolling on dubs and now don't think you need any suspension. Don't worry about axles, clutch, or a differential because you will have a high hp 13 second car.

You say you want to build a car that outperforms a boss. What is your measure of performance? The car you are dreaming of will be much slower in a straight line and won't hold a candle in the curves, so please enlighten us on your actual goals. You sound like a child dreaming of a car on a poster in your room. Just a FYI, the 2.3 isn't going to support your goals. You need at least a 2.9.

Edit: If you don't know how to install a whipple, I highly doubt you know how to run CNC machining equipment when it comes time to reassemble and balance your shortblock. And that's ok, but don't act like just because you have access to a lift that you know everything required for building a highly tuned race engine.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #43
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Bravo.....
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was being friendly and polite.

Now, I will be a smartass. I forgot that you were the guy who wants 700+ hp rolling on dubs and now don't think you need any suspension. Don't worry about axles, clutch, or a differential because you will have a high hp 13 second car.

You say you want to build a car that outperforms a boss. What is your measure of performance? The car you are dreaming of will be much slower in a straight line and won't hold a candle in the curves, so please enlighten us on your actual goals. You sound like a child dreaming of a car on a poster in your room. Just a FYI, the 2.3 isn't going to support your goals. You need at least a 2.9.

Edit: If you don't know how to install a whipple, I highly doubt you know how to run CNC machining equipment when it comes time to reassemble and balance your shortblock. And that's ok, but don't act like just because you have access to a lift that you know everything required for building a highly tuned race engine.
I'll say this. I know I don't know everything about race engines nor try to but that is why I went to college, got two degrees, and make an excellent salary so I wouldn't have to be a mechanic like my father. I know a lot to be dangerous but use my 'experts' for advice. I can work with the best out there and have the drive to do it myself. And here's MY smartass comment, I could just sell it, go buy a super snake, drop another $40k in upgrades an just fly off. But that's not my style. I like to work on my car and make it mine. I can stand back and say 'I did that!'. And as for what I want? In a nutshell, a street machine that is powerful and a daily driver. This is my 'fun car' not my 'race car'. So whatever upgrades I add are to the enhancement of my life and the enjoyment of working on my own vehicles.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Stupid fasts turn! Lol
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll say this. I know I don't know everything about race engines nor try to but that is why I went to college, got two degrees, and make an excellent salary so I wouldn't have to be a mechanic like my father. I know a lot to be dangerous but use my 'experts' for advice. I can work with the best out there and have the drive to do it myself. And here's MY smartass comment, I could just sell it, go buy a super snake, drop another $40k in upgrades an just fly off. But that's not my style. I like to work on my car and make it mine. I can stand back and say 'I did that!'. And as for what I want? In a nutshell, a street machine that is powerful and a daily driver. This is my 'fun car' not my 'race car'. So whatever upgrades I add are to the enhancement of my life and the enjoyment of working on my own vehicles.
Well from what im seeing you just want a really fast daily driver, which is the complete opposite of the original intention of the design of the boss 302, yeah its a car you can drive everyday, but its not a car you buy cuz u need a car to drive everyday. Most people who want a daily driver wld not by a boss 302 cuz its not going to be a comfortable drive to and from work, but it will be an awesome car to take on the weekends or whenevr yo may choose. What your saying doesnt make any sense.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
Stupid fasts turn! Lol
Not much I can say here. He still hasn't answered how he measures performance. I assume it's on a dyno.

Sounds like he wants a car that will burn up a $600 pair of tires in a few minutes.

I bet his hand built "flying super snake" will never even compare to my measly little stock engine. I know a guy just like him. Put $20k+ in modding a 3v to run high 11's. That's performance baby

Quote:
Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08

Well from what im seeing you just want a really fast daily driver, which is the complete opposite of the original intention of the design of the boss 302, yeah its a car you can drive everyday, but its not a car you buy cuz u need a car to drive everyday. Most people who want a daily driver wld not by a boss 302 cuz its not going to be a comfortable drive to and from work, but it will be an awesome car to take on the weekends or whenevr yo may choose. What your saying doesnt make any sense.
The conversation took a redirection. I started the conversation of the premiss to whether a Boss was really worth the extra $$ or could you create a GT for less that would out preform the Boss.

Now yes I want a daily driver because I love to drive my car and not just garage it. I came to this forum looking for opinions on mods cause I'm not an expert on mustangs but can wrench. Even if I bought the 302 I'd still drive it everyday. At least when it isn't snowing. So yeah, want a car that is fun to drive and something I've worked on.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at 2011 GT Mustangs when they first came out and couldn't find one with the options I wanted at a price I could swing. A dealer contacted me and told me they had an 07 427R Roush, owned by their service manager, that was low miles and for sale, at the price I was interested in.

I knew a little about Roush vehicles, but not a lot. I researched just what the different Stages were and what a 427R was. I had always been under the impression that most Roush models were all show and little go. I went online, and queried friends, and gained info on this particular model. I thought I knew it inside and out.

Funny thing is, the car turned out to be more than the sum of it's parts.

It's a flashy car, and it gets attention, more than you'd think a 5 year old tuner would get... And when I drive it, I am surprised at just how well the car does everything. If you want to cruise slow and easy, no problem, if you want to road trip, no problem, if you want to road race, no problem, drag race, no problem, car show, no problem....

I have owned two 05 Mustang GT's so I have them to compare it to and so I am talking from experience...

My point is, my 427R is more than a bunch of parts, it's a well balanced package. I think the Boss 302 falls in this category, just as the first Boss 302 did. Right now they are kind of expensive but the price will come down...

Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not much I can say here. He still hasn't answered how he measures performance. I assume it's on a dyno.

Sounds like he wants a car that will burn up a $600 pair of tires in a few minutes.

I bet his hand built "flying super snake" will never even compare to my measly little stock engine. I know a guy just like him. Put $20k+ in modding a 3v to run high 11's. That's performance baby
Dude, you just can't let it go. My measure of performance is a car that thrills me when I drive it. If I'm not excited to drive then there is not a reason other than to get to work. So as I tinker I'll enjoy the journey to what I build.

I came to this forum looking for advice for experts cause I do value the opinions. But if all I get is ridicule for asking the far out questions to what I can and cannot do then the forum has no longer served it's purpose but yet become a pissing contest for who has the bigger... wrench.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The conversation took a redirection. I started the conversation of the premiss to whether a Boss was really worth the extra $$ or could you create a GT for less that would out preform the Boss.

Now yes I want a daily driver because I love to drive my car and not just garage it. I came to this forum looking for opinions on mods cause I'm not an expert on mustangs but can wrench. Even if I bought the 302 I'd still drive it everyday. At least when it isn't snowing. So yeah, want a car that is fun to drive and something I've worked on.
Im not saying people don't buy the car as a daily driver. Im just saying that the car wasn't designed to appeal to a person who wants a daily driver. It was designed for a person who wants a badass car that you can drive to a track and post good times all around. Obviously, the whole resonign behind the two key system. Whether you would like to believe it or not, for money difference between a GT and a Boss 302, you can not make a car that will perform to the same limits.

Not trying to be an ***, just pointing out a fact but the difference in price between a stripped down GT and stripped down 302 is exactly $11000.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #52
Regular
Supporter

Guys.....lets all try to get back on track of the original thread topic and cut out the bickering. Sure would hate to shut down a interesting thread because its turned into nothing but arguing.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude, you just can't let it go. My measure of performance is a car that thrills me when I drive it. If I'm not excited to drive then there is not a reason other than to get to work. So as I tinker I'll enjoy the journey to what I build.

I came to this forum looking for advice for experts cause I do value the opinions. But if all I get is ridicule for asking the far out questions to what I can and cannot do then the forum has no longer served it's purpose but yet become a pissing contest for who has the bigger... wrench.
So you don't want a performance car. You actually want a car that you can brag about having 700+ hp when people ask about it. Why don't you leave everything alone on the car, buy a whipple and loud exhaust, and just tell everyone that it has 700+ hp? Your tires aren't going to spin any worse with 700 hp than they will with 500 hp so people will still believe you. You aren't going to track the car so no one will ever see your trap speed or ET. You can't even roll race 700 hp without bigs and littles on stock suspension. What's thrilling about having a car that you can't go WOT until you are going over 100 mph?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
My point is, my 427R is more than a bunch of parts, it's a well balanced package. I think the Boss 302 falls in this category, just as the first Boss 302 did. Right now they are kind of expensive but the price will come down...
Good point. Yeah, not looking to throw a bunch of mismatched parts together. I looked at a 2012 Stage 3 but ran across the 2011 I purchased with only 1,500 miles and $8k off sticker with still a few more upgrades afterwards. So I felt I got a good deal on a project car. So I started the debate up on here on a different thread if I should go Roush or SVT. Cause it's Stage 3 or bust I thought. But Whipple had some compelling numbers. But yeah, the sum of all parts is what makes the difference.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good point. Yeah, not looking to throw a bunch of mismatched parts together. I looked at a 2012 Stage 3 but ran across the 2011 I purchased with only 1,500 miles and $8k off sticker with still a few more upgrades afterwards. So I felt I got a good deal on a project car. So I started the debate up on here on a different thread if I should go Roush or SVT. Cause it's Stage 3 or bust I thought. But Whipple had some compelling numbers. But yeah, the sum of all parts is what makes the difference.
There is no such thing as a SVT blower for a 2011 Mustang. The Roush and the Whipple are the exact same blower so who cares which one you chose? Neither will support your goals though.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08

Im not saying people don't buy the car as a daily driver. Im just saying that the car wasn't designed to appeal to a person who wants a daily driver. It was designed for a person who wants a badass car that you can drive to a track and post good times all around. Obviously, the whole resonign behind the two key system. Whether you would like to believe it or not, for money difference between a GT and a Boss 302, you can not make a car that will perform to the same limits.

Not trying to be an ***, just pointing out a fact but the difference in price between a stripped down GT and stripped down 302 is exactly $11000.
thanks for the clarification on the $$. And true about why to own a Mustang. It is for the thrill of the ride.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #57
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Like was stated already the conversation going on has nothing to do with the topic. If you want to spin your conversation into another thread, feel free too. If you want to talk about whether the 2011 Mustang GT can be upgraded to the Boss 302 performance for the same price or less, then that is what this thread is about.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So you don't want a performance car. You actually want a car that you can brag about having 700+ hp when people ask about it. Why don't you leave everything alone on the car, buy a whipple and loud exhaust, and just tell everyone that it has 700+ hp? Your tires aren't going to spin any worse with 700 hp than they will with 500 hp so people will still believe you. You aren't going to track the car so no one will ever see your trap speed or ET. You can't even roll race 700 hp without bigs and littles on stock suspension. What's thrilling about having a car that you can't go WOT until you are going over 100 mph?
That is why I'm on here. To find out opinions from experts like yourself to what I should an shouldn't do. When I hear 'track car' I think of people taking the car out on a circle track and race against other drivers. Yeah, I would like to go to the 1/4 and find out what she can do. That would be the thrill to justification to what Ive done. And how I do in the first 800 feet versus top speed will give me a good indication to what I have or have not done right. Or at least so I'm told. So educate and I'll learn.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #59
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Like was stated already the conversation going on has nothing to do with the topic. If you want to spin your conversation into another thread, feel free too. If you want to talk about whether the 2011 Mustang GT can be upgraded to the Boss 302 performance for the same price or less, then that is what this thread is about.
Thank you
Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

I, for one, probably might have waited? for the Boss? I HAD to have a Coyote, though. Even if I had the opportunity, last July-when I purchased my `11-I may not have been able to do the extra 100.00 + per month-that the Boss would cost..

2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is why I'm on here. To find out opinions from experts like yourself to what I should an shouldn't do. When I hear 'track car' I think of people taking the car out on a circle track and race against other drivers. Yeah, I would like to go to the 1/4 and find out what she can do. That would be the thrill to justification to what Ive done. And how I do in the first 800 feet versus top speed will give me a good indication to what I have or have not done right. Or at least so I'm told. So educate and I'll learn.
more power to you dude, hope all your projects work out for you and im sure ull have fun doin it.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You can build a car that will perform the same for less money if your goal is to stay at bolt-on power levels. When you get into wanting 800+ hp then you are MUCH better off just buying the Boss as long as you get it at MSRP.

Quote:
I'm far from an expert, but I can answer most of your questions when it comes to how the coyote will react to boost and what you need to reach your final goals. If you just want to build a fast driver that rolls on street tires then there's nothing wrong with that, but without supporting mods like tires, wheels, gears, differentials, clutches, and full suspension, you will end up with a car that has less measurable performance than your stock car has.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Back on subject I'd take the boss302 any day over GT500 I'm talking laguna seca edition
FireRescueBRFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08 View Post
well lets see, you get a different front fascia a splitter, different suspension package as already mentioned, Recaro seats, comes stock with launch control, Pirelli tires, 19inch light weight alloys, different transmission, different engine, road key and track key. Then when you go to the laguna seca edition, the suspension is even better, the aerodynamics have improved more and Laguna Seca's will only be produced in a limited number. Since the MSRP on the boss 302 is 40K and the MSRP on the Laguna Seca is 47,000 either way ur getiing your moneys worth. Because even though a laguna seca will be 47 its resale value will hold more and it will be worth more money in the long run, hell if I wasnt in college, no doubt I would get a Laguna Seca, especially over a GT500, although both cars and the new 5.0's are awesome
++ 1000 !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I third that statement and why would u want to do it yourself to have a fake boss302 who cares if it's faster it's still a GT
FireRescueBRFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

I'm happy we all agree
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #68
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRescueBRFD View Post
I third that statement and why would u want to do it yourself to have a fake boss302 who cares if it's faster it's still a GT

I don't know.....it's still nice to say I spanked your Terminator or Boss in my "GT". Either way they would be nice to have.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I don't know.....it's still nice to say I spanked your Terminator or Boss in my "GT". Either way they would be nice to have.
Now you know how V6's feel when they beat a GT hehehe
Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #70
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junoS197Bl08 View Post
Now you know how V6's feel when they beat a GT hehehe
ill be surprised if a v6 ever comes and whips my cobra lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT