Boss 302 vs GT 5.0 - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: Boss 302 vs GT 5.0

No sarcasm intended . I made a 'factual statement'-based on my actual experience(s). I have owned two Terminator Cobras. And despite the fact that I reference the `03, and `04 cars-as having 4 valve motors-for no real reason , those of us driving the 5.0, and contributing to this forum-also know that our 5.0s are 4 valvers , as well, Texastboneking.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #107
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidfast5.0 View Post
Different heads, cams, pistons, and rods, but yeah its the same displacement so I guess it's almost the same thing lol.
yeah almost. not to many ppl have done this conversion so its hard for me to guesstimate what will happen
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #108
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
No sarcasm intended . I made a 'factual statement'-based on my actual experience(s). I have owned two Terminator Cobras. And despite the fact that I reference the `03, and `04 cars-as having 4 valve motors-for no real reason , those of us driving the 5.0, and contributing to this forum-also know that our 5.0s are 4 valvers , as well, Texastboneking.
lol ok. just making sure. not too many ppl know the new engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
lol ok. just making sure. not too many ppl know the new engine
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #110
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
i know a few ppl that thought it was the same design as the old 5.0
Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidfast5.0

You can't build a GT to outperform a Boss for $10,000

A built shortblock is around $5,000+$1,500 for installation.
A clutch to hold the power is $600-$1,200
Adjustable shocks $600-$1,500
Forged wheels $800-$2,000
Boss heads $3,000
Boss intake $550
Differential $500
Total on the low side is around $11,000 not counting any shipping or labor/installation charges. You don't seem like the kind of guy that knows much about cars so I'm sure you would have to pay a shop for the install which will run about $5,000 for all you would need done.
"A built shortblock is around $5,000+$1,500 for installation."

"Total on the low side is around $11,000 not counting any shipping or labor/installation charges." actually you did include installation for so it would be 9,500..not including any of the shipping labor/installation charges.
Dubya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya11 View Post
"A built shortblock is around $5,000+$1,500 for installation."

"Total on the low side is around $11,000 not counting any shipping or labor/installation charges." actually you did include installation for so it would be 9,500..not including any of the shipping labor/installation charges.
math>you
Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
i know a few ppl that thought it was the same design as the old 5.0
You reckon that they're members, here?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #114
Road Trip!

A gt500 is faster then a Boss point blank.

Fastest time for a boss with tire change is 11.7 1/4 mile

Gt500 went 11.1 with tires change.

For the ones that said the Boss has a different tranny it don't then the 5.0. The fascia is the same as the CS. Wing the same as the 5.0. Track key programming isn't even out yet. The areo is same as well. The cars body is the same except for some stickers and rims. Oh both come with Perelli tires as well. Also 19s are available for the 5.0 as well. And they are light weight. The suspension on the base boss really isnt that much better then a 5.0. The biggest advantage of the boss is its forged internals and small changes to the engine like CNC heads, Intake, and different intake cams.

Boss is a great car. The 5.0 start around 28k. The Boss around 40k. With the mark ups of the boss a base is going for 50k and some LS have gone for 90k. With that price difference you will never out run a GT dollar for dollar.

Buying which ever car has its advantages and disadvantages. The Boss will hold its resale value better. But only if you leave it stock. Start modding and it loses it's value.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
A gt500 is faster then a Boss point blank.

Fastest time for a boss with tire change is 11.7 1/4 mile

Gt500 went 11.1 with tires change.

For the ones that said the Boss has a different tranny it don't then the 5.0. The fascia is the same as the CS. Wing the same as the 5.0. Track key programming isn't even out yet. The areo is same as well. The cars body is the same except for some stickers and rims. Oh both come with Perelli tires as well. Also 19s are available for the 5.0 as well. And they are light weight. The suspension on the base boss really isnt that much better then a 5.0. The biggest advantage of the boss is its forged internals and small changes to the engine like CNC heads, Intake, and different intake cams.

Boss is a great car. The 5.0 start around 28k. The Boss around 40k. With the mark ups of the boss a base is going for 50k and some LS have gone for 90k. With that price difference you will never out run a GT dollar for dollar.

Buying which ever car has its advantages and disadvantages. The Boss will hold its resale value better. But only if you leave it stock. Start modding and it loses it's value.
Thanks for the input-welcome!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #116
Road Trip!

Region: California
I seen one in person for the first time today! It was like a orgasm for my eyes!
16218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #117

Region: Wisconsin
The one at my dealer sold for 20k over list. Bought my GT premium vert through USAA and saved a lot, just enough to throw a blower and bigger wheels. Go 5.0, easy to get that thing tearing up Boss and GT 500. Why do you think they are using the 5.0 in the GT 350
Slo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #118
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav View Post
I was looking at 2011 GT Mustangs when they first came out and couldn't find one with the options I wanted at a price I could swing. A dealer contacted me and told me they had an 07 427R Roush, owned by their service manager, that was low miles and for sale, at the price I was interested in.

I knew a little about Roush vehicles, but not a lot. I researched just what the different Stages were and what a 427R was. I had always been under the impression that most Roush models were all show and little go. I went online, and queried friends, and gained info on this particular model. I thought I knew it inside and out.

Funny thing is, the car turned out to be more than the sum of it's parts.

It's a flashy car, and it gets attention, more than you'd think a 5 year old tuner would get... And when I drive it, I am surprised at just how well the car does everything. If you want to cruise slow and easy, no problem, if you want to road trip, no problem, if you want to road race, no problem, drag race, no problem, car show, no problem....

I have owned two 05 Mustang GT's so I have them to compare it to and so I am talking from experience...

My point is, my 427R is more than a bunch of parts, it's a well balanced package. I think the Boss 302 falls in this category, just as the first Boss 302 did. Right now they are kind of expensive but the price will come down...
Buy a Roush new and its a waste of money. Least i think. You can put a better suspension on it/and more power cheaper.

Not to mention the 3 427R we have all ran slower then me at the track when i was just gears/cold air/tune/x pipe. Ran one on the street also and walked away from it.

I have never been impressed with the Roush cars. But hey thats just me.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #119

I would not spend or "waste" my money all on Roush stuff either. I bought their blower, because all the TVS are the same. Eaton helped Roush, Roush helped Whipple, yada yada. I like Steeda suspension, so I go for that. Were the 3 Stage 3 4.6 or 5.0? Not too many Stage 3 on the street yet as they just came out, and it is a big difference.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT
So I'm seeing that people don't much care for Roush here. What about Saleen?
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Pete07GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #121

Pete, Roush makes great stuff. They work very closely with Ford. I would not trade my r2300 in for an edelbrock or whipple. That is just me. I like components from other companies too. The Roush that comes from the line in Livonia is just overpriced!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #122
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete07GT View Post
They have some nice stuff but not worth the it if ask me. Look at new Saleen. Nothing special but a over priced body kit. The hood alone is almost $1300.

If you are buy the car to just change or drag race/track on road course you can't go wrong with a base 5.0. There is better suspension then FRPP/Steeda out there and cheaper. Not to mention better Aftermarket products all around.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

They have some nice stuff but not worth the it if ask me. Look at new Saleen. Nothing special but a over priced body kit. The hood alone is almost $1300.

If you are buy the car to just change or drag race/track on road course you can't go wrong with a base 5.0. There is better suspension then FRPP/Steeda out there and cheaper. Not to mention better Aftermarket products all around.
I thought that too! I understand a huge difference in quantity and quality parts but to base price for a Roush or Saleen is well outside of my price range. I just couldn't justify investing that kind of cash into my DD unless I were having a midlife crisis. For those that have bought the branding I think they will have nothing but great things to say about them. For a guy making well under six digits a year like me, I have to buy stock and try and squeeze out money one part at a time...
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Old 06-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #124
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete07GT View Post
I thought that too! I understand a huge difference in quantity and quality parts but to base price for a Roush or Saleen is well outside of my price range. I just couldn't justify investing that kind of cash into my DD unless I were having a midlife crisis. For those that have bought the branding I think they will have nothing but great things to say about them. For a guy making well under six digits a year like me, I have to buy stock and try and squeeze out money one part at a time...
That to a point. But also if i spend as much as one them I will just buy a GT500. A simple tire swap is low 11s, and None them look as good as a Black on Black GT500..Unless its a grabber blue one...lol
Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
I like the stage 3.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka

I like the stage 3.
Very nice choice.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Quote:
Buy a Roush new and its a waste of money. Least i think. You can put a better suspension on it/and more power cheaper.

Not to mention the 3 427R we have all ran slower then me at the track when i was just gears/cold air/tune/x pipe. Ran one on the street also and walked away from it.

I have never been impressed with the Roush cars. But hey thats just me.
I paid $31,000 for mine, add $900 for some 14" Brembo's.... I have less than $32,000 in mine.... You sure seem to hate Roush's, but that's ok, I won't take it personal...
It's kind of funny, Jack Roush was sitting in my car Thursday and he told me I owned a nice car....

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I like Roush my bro has a 2007
FireRescueBRFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #129
Road Trip!

Quote:
I paid $31,000 for mine, add $900 for some 14" Brembo's.... I have less than $32,000 in mine.... You sure seem to hate Roush's, but that's ok, I won't take it personal...
It's kind of funny, Jack Roush was sitting in my car Thursday and he told me I owned a nice car....

Got fried that got thier car signed my him just the other day also. Cool Stuff!

Paid 32K for it. What it have? Did you buy it new?

Either way new stage 3 roush is 16K on top of price of a new 2012 mustang. Just not worth it. It has 540hp/465tq..SO price of a GT500 you get less power. Some stickers and a new bumpers. That is not counting other options that you can get including upgraded wheels. THese prices was straight from Roush website.
Core Components - $16,800 USD + S&H
ROUSH 2012 Stage 3 Mustang
Core Components - $16,800 USD + S&H
ROUSHcharged 5.0L Powertrain System (540 hp / 465 ft-lb)
ROUSH Square Tip Performance Exhaust - Dealer Installed (Post Title)
ROUSH Front Fascia with Driving Lamps
ROUSH Front Fascia Blackout Graphic
ROUSH Front Chin Splitter
ROUSH Billet Upper Grille with Stage 3 R Badge
Square Stage 3 R Fender Badges
ROUSH Side Rocker Splitters
ROUSH Rear Valance
ROUSH Rear Decklid Spoiler
ROUSH Rear Blackout Panel with Jack Roush Signature
ROUSH Stage 3 R Faux Gas Cap Badge
ROUSH Stage 3 Decklid Badge
ROUSH Stage 3 Graphics Package
ROUSH Front Windshield Banner
ROUSH Suspension System
ROUSH 18-Inch Chrome Wheels with High Performance Cooper 2XS Tires
ROUSH Embroidered Floor Mats
ROUSH White Face Gauges
ROUSH Center Console Badge/Button
ROUSH Stage 3 Interior Medallion
ROUSH Stage 3 Serialized Engine Bay Plaque
ROUSH Engine Bay Plaque with Chassis Builder
ROUSH Supplement Owners Guide
Optional Components(ALL THIS IS EXTRA ON TOP THE 16K)
ROUSH Vent Gauge Pod with Boost Gauge - $435
ROUSH Illuminated Door Sill Plates - $220
ROUSH Billet Performance Pedals - $200
ROUSH Stage 3 Leather Seating - $1,725
ROUSH 6-Speed Shifter Ball (White or Black) - $95
ROUSH Billet Aluminum 6-Speed Shifter Knob with Grips - $110
ROUSH Convertible Light Bar - $910
ROUSH Trunk Mounted Tool Kit - $395
ROUSH Rear Quarter Window Louvers - $370
ROUSH Rear Quarter Window Louver Graphics (Matte Black) - $70
ROUSH Lower Billet Grille - $250
ROUSH Engine Coil Covers (Red) - $285
ROUSH 18-Inch Chrome Wheels with Ultra High Performance Cooper RS3 Tires (tire upgrade ONLY) - $304
ROUSH 20-Inch Wheels (Chrome or Hyper Black) with Ultra High Performance Cooper RS3 Tires - $1,115
ROUSH Locking Lug Nuts - $60
ROUSH Sport Brake Package (Red) - $1,450
ROUSH Performance Brake Package - $2,877
ROUSH Competition Brake Package - $3,687
ROUSH Competition Suspension System - $1,875

Also being the 07 was Core Components - $15,599 USD + S&H with other Optional stuff even more. SO you paid 32K for a car that didn't run no faster then a 5.0 which could had got cheaper or same price with options. Which i paid under 30k for.

Also for 32K I know people that have bought 07/08 GT500's. But it is all good as long you are happy with your car.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

I bought my car used. I traded in a fully optioned 05 GT. I bought the 427R last July from a Ford dealer, I learned about it on line when was looking for a 2011 GT. The 427R had 11,000 miles on it and was owned by a Ford Service Manager. It has some of the options, I have never seen an actual build sheet... It has the Roush dash, the short throw shifter, the leather two tone red/black signature seats, the Roush sill plates, it has the 427R floor mats, and of course it has a supercharged Stage 3 engine, and the Stage 2 suspension, and the Roush front bumper/air damn/splitter, the Roush duck tail, Roush off road mufflers, the 427 slash stripes and scoop, Roush 10x18 chrome cast wheels... Probably something I'm missing...

What it has is presence... It gets a lot of attention. I think I have more fun with it than I would a stock GT, but that's just me. I don't ever remember saying mine was the fastest car out there, I've never raced it; it's a close to stock four year old used car....

What I said it was that it is a well rounded package....

Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #131
Road Trip!

Quote:
I bought my car used. I traded in a fully optioned 05 GT. I bought the 427R last July from a Ford dealer, I learned about it on line when was looking for a 2011 GT. The 427R had 11,000 miles on it and was owned by a Ford Service Manager. It has some of the options, I have never seen an actual build sheet... It has the Roush dash, the short throw shifter, the leather two tone red/black signature seats, the Roush sill plates, it has the 427R floor mats, and of course it has a supercharged Stage 3 engine, and the Stage 2 suspension, and the Roush front bumper/air damn/splitter, the Roush duck tail, Roush off road mufflers, the 427 slash stripes and scoop, Roush 10x18 chrome cast wheels... Probably something I'm missing...

What it has is presence... It gets a lot of attention. I think I have more fun with it than I would a stock GT, but that's just me. I don't ever remember saying mine was the fastest car out there, I've never raced it; it's a close to stock four year old used car....

What I said it was that it is a well rounded package....
For buying used yes it is a good package. But I don't compare used to my car. I have to compare what it cost me to buy it new as it sits to what i paid and have in mine.

They do get a lot of looks cause most think Roush and expect big things. For me the performance just isn't there for the price. If that makes sense.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For buying used yes it is a good package. But I don't compare used to my car. I have to compare what it cost me to buy it new as it sits to what i paid and have in mine.

They do get a lot of looks cause most think Roush and expect big things. For me the performance just isn't there for the price. If that makes sense.
Roush aren't cheap, never have been, they depreciate fast, and it can be hard to get genuine Roush parts for them after about 10 years....

The point I was trying to make originally was that the Boss 302 is more than a bunch of random parts, it is a good package because it was well engineered. That is not easy to do on your own, because we don't each have a r&d department at our beck and call...

You tell me I should buy a 07/08 gt 500 but they are actually a slower car than a 07 427R. The early Shelby's lacked suspension mods and were nose heavy and suffered over steer. I have a good friend with one, and he is the one who pointed out his cars short comings. We have three GT500's in our small local Mustang club and none of them have suggested that I drive an "inferior" car.

I didn't mention my car to compare it to a 2012 GT and I am sorry it turned into the topic.

Being a common GT, Your car will depreciate very fast so you would have been better off buying it used, if that makes any sense...

Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #133
Road Trip!

Quote:
Roush aren't cheap, never have been, they depreciate fast, and it can be hard to get genuine Roush parts for them after about 10 years....

The point I was trying to make originally was that the Boss 302 is more than a bunch of random parts, it is a good package because it was well engineered. That is not easy to do on your own, because we don't each have a r&d department at our beck and call...

You tell me I should buy a 07/08 gt 500 but they are actually a slower car than a 07 427R. The early Shelby's lacked suspension mods and were nose heavy and suffered over steer. I have a good friend with one, and he is the one who pointed out his cars short comings. We have three GT500's in our small local Mustang club and none of them have suggested that I drive an "inferior" car.

I didn't mention my car to compare it to a 2012 GT and I am sorry it turned into the topic.

Being a common GT, Your car will depreciate very fast so you would have been better off buying it used, if that makes any sense...
I under stand what you are saying.

Yes the boss is engineered very well. Ford did a great job. Now only issue is the retarded mark ups on some of them.

As far as 427R being faster then the GT500. I don't know. My experience has been the other way. But a lot comes down to the driver, track, etc etc.

And yes common GT's depreciate very fast. But when i bought there was non used. So i had no choice to but buy new.

For me it was either a new EVO x or the 5.0. I choose the 5.0 cause the reviews and Ford finally made a bad *** GT. Only other option was a used 07/08 ZO6. But dealer was messing around finding me one.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #134

Quit whining about stock 427r and Shelbys. Get a good deal on a 5.0 and do the mods yourself. With my regular GT I am at 600 to the wheels so yada yada. Most guys that drive Shelbys let them sit in the garage, same with roush. Depreciation, I do not care about, bc when the next block comes out I will swap it. I do not planning on getting rid of the 2011 GT, the 08 roush, I am trading that in on an edge!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo50
Quit whining about stock 427r and Shelbys. Get a good deal on a 5.0 and do the mods yourself. With my regular GT I am at 600 to the wheels so yada yada. Most guys that drive Shelbys let them sit in the garage, same with roush. Depreciation, I do not care about, bc when the next block comes out I will swap it. I do not planning on getting rid of the 2011 GT, the 08 roush, I am trading that in on an edge!
It is good to see various opinions out here in regards to options. So it basically comes down to buy the car you want (boss, 5.0, GT500, Roush, Shelby, etc..) and begin your builds. To each their own to determine what to start with and what they are willing to pay for their starter vehicle.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #136

That is the way i see it Poloka, build what YOU like. I do not liek everything about any of the cars. So I take mine to my builder and dyno tester and just make it how I like it. Shelbys and Boss Mustangs are collectible, but you want to drive it to right? Will they hit the price mark of the original GT500 or Boss, I doubt it.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #137
Road Trip!

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

...and then, a very 'lively discussion'...ensued....
As long as you're driving a Mustang, you belong here. It doesn't matter if you bought a "built" car . It doesn't matter if you are a shadetree mechanic and have the time, money, skill set, to do your own installations . It doesn't matter if you don't have any of those things-including the time-and have someone that knows how-do the mods for you. As long as you're driving a Mustang-and in the case of this particular forum, a 2011, or later, 5.0 you are welcome!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk

Personally, I would prefer to have a GT500...but that's just me. I had the 11 GT vs. GT500 debate......and I ended up buying a 335i LOL

I love them both, but if my bonus is solid enough this fall I may pick up a GT500. I would LOVE to have one......and I know where one is cheap, if he still has it then

-Will
Old 06-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight F Mohawk
Personally, I would prefer to have a GT500...but that's just me. I had the 11 GT vs. GT500 debate......and I ended up buying a 335i LOL

I love them both, but if my bonus is solid enough this fall I may pick up a GT500. I would LOVE to have one......and I know where one is cheap, if he still has it then

-Will
Nice! What year? I know a guy with a 335 with bolt obs in the high 11a btw

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT