I think the wife figured it out - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I think the wife figured it out

I think my wife figured out how much I love my mustang. She is letting my buy some nice treats for fathers day (undecided on what to get) and today she tossed another surprise at me I think. We were sitting there chatting and she came out and asked me "if we were just handed $20k and you could buy any one item that you want for your car, what would it be?". I figured I would go for the gusto and told her I would put a blower on it and get stronger internals put in while they are in there. At this point it didnt strike me as odd that she asked this question much, but then she started asking details like cost, warranty, and those sorts of things. That's when I started to think it was odd but I should have been set off from the start because she doesn't car about cars or really have an interest in them at all. Now that it is a few hours later, I remembered that I'll be getting around a $20k bonus here in 6 to 8 months.

Coincidence? I don't think it is, or atleast I hope it's not! I'm going to have to start doing all my research and putting together my wishlist!!!

My question to you all would be, if you had a stock car and were asked the same question I was, what would your answer be?

And no I'm not rich, I'm in the military. Just so happens that I landed a wicked bonus when I re-enlisted
HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

HERS: "Blue Steel": 2012 Mustang V6, Kona Blue, AT.
Gconn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thanks for your service! Step dad just went over to play in the sand for a few months.

If I was given 20k to play with, I would do suspension work first because what is power if you can't put it to the ground lol.

Then go forged and give the girl some air! then take the money left over and put into appearance, brakes and other things
Old 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Thanks for serving! And nice bonus too! Yeah, after listening to some of the comments I'd beef up what's going to give when you add the SC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think she's thinking about your future and testing u, maybe thinking maybe you would put it tirades a house/ring that's how womans minds work it's a test
FireRescueBRFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Re: I think the wife figured it out

Nice! See, not all women are bad? haha! Nice bonus, too!

But yes, lowering and then performance! have fun!

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hey man thanks for serving! If I had 20k..... Either a twin screw super charger or centrifugal pro charger. I prefer the super charger(less maintenance over pro charger). Wouldn't worry about internals unless you go over 10psi. The gt comes with a forged crank and should handle anything 8-10 psi. Up the fuel injectors and fuel pump for the boost. Wider wheels and tires to handle the power. Unless you track it I'd leave the stock suspension or only do minor changes. Short throw shifter, and pillar pod gauges to monitor the psi, get and fuel psi.(plus the extra gauges just give look awesome while drivin).

I had an 06 gt. Short throw, gauges, wheels tires, p1 pro charger, intercooler, gauges, injector, and fuel pump. Was out about 11k including install. Never touched the suspension and it did great as a daily driver. If I had tracked it suspension woulda been needed.

Hope this helps a bit.

May the Horsepower be with you
UHNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRescueBRFD View Post
I think she's thinking about your future and testing u, maybe thinking maybe you would put it tirades a house/ring that's how womans minds work it's a test
House and ring already checked off
HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

Old 06-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Well if u have that good of a girl I would say buy her a little something with whatever u have left over lol
Dbsaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Rock on folks. So I took the fam for dinner and ice cream and weaseled it out of here. We have 3 cats, one that just had 6 kittens, and her deal is that she gets to keep her favorite kitten and I do some hardwood flooring in the house. The hardwood flooring is frustrating because I could have had the builder put hard wood in for free (he gave us the option) when we bought but she didn't want it. Women. In return, she says I can do everything to my car that I would like to (SC, exhaust, internal, anything).

I hate the cats and do NOT want to have four of those useless things running around, but this might just be worth it. I was expecting her end of the bargain to cost a whole lot more though. This I'd far too tempting. I think she knows she's got me even though I haven't said yes to the deal yet. She wouldn't make the offer if she didn't think I would take it, she is just that way.

Now it's time to figure out SC options. There is a lot of rave going around about the whipples, going to look more closely at those and evaluate the remaining options. Thing is too, I don't want to completely throw away my warranty that being said I'll be sure to check into the frpp kits. As if my mustang web browsing wasn't 24/7 already, now its really going to get bad. My dad is going to go nuts when he hears this, he is a crazy good mechanic, and he will probably try to talk me into doing the work ourselves. He will just have to roll through here from arizona.

Deal or no deal?

Any vendors out there offer military and quantity discounts? Lol.

As far as the individual that thanked me for my service, your very welcome! I've been doing it about 7 years now, just got back from afghanistan, and I do it for the best people on earth...Americans! Freedom is an amazing thing that too many people can't fully understand or appreciate. Having been some of the places I've been, it truly is amazing how well we have it.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #10

Region: Indiana

Trade it in for a GT500?
tryck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Considering that too. Don't know though, I can't get the A plan on one of those. I could have went that route when I bought mine a couple months ago, but the car is a DD and has a carseat in the back. The boss didn't have leather and other creature comforts that I wanted, and I couldn't see a 500 being a DD with a car seat. That's why I went with the CS. I could do a post title model too like the GT350...

I don't know. I LOVE my car and don't think I would be as happy in something else, but that's something for me to consider as well.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hey congrats on re-up'ing! Who are you with and where are you stationed?
As far as superchargers go, I am leaning towards kenne bell's mammoth series personally. Although if you're worried about warranty I would stay the frpp route. Or even edlebrock e-force, they offer a supplemental powertrain warranty that'll cover ~$19,000 if I remember correctly. And like someone else posted you already have the forged crank and I think even connecting rods. So run about 8-10 psi and hell while you're at it add a water/methanol injection system. It'll open up quite a few more ponies for you and help guard against detonation. Whatever route you end up going with is up to you, all that matters is that you think you made the best decision and your happy with the results. I would do performance first then mod suspension as needed to keep you going straight. Also wider tires in the rear is a must if you want to hook up.
klisetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm Air Force stationed at Little Rock AFB currently.

I've been a fan on the kenne's for years but seems some people are having issues with then seizing up? That sort of has me scared to drop $$ on them. I really like the water methanol injection idea. I think that's a winner, I read up on that a month or so ago and it was interesting! My thought process is in line with your's in terms of performance first, tires, then suspension as necessary.

As far as the rods go, my understanding is that they are powder rods, and they don't have the tolerances of a true forged rod. Id rather have room to breathe when it comes to internals, and just get the best I can buy and never have to wonder when I'm going to throw a piston through the block.

I do have a concern in regards to the TiVCT and adding a SC and water methanol injection. Anyone have expert advice on how this technology holds up and behaves under boost and with the methanol?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Another idea, since you want to do internals, swap the pistons as well. But swap them to where they will lower your compression and allow you to run higher boost levels. I'm not sure if the loss of horsepower from dropping compression will be made up with boost but its worth looking at.
Most of the water/meth kits have controllers that can be programmed a couple different ways, such hooking up to your maf sensor and spray according to how much air you're sucking in.
That's not good to hear about the KB's what exactly have you been hearing? Would like to know also since that might also steer me a different direction for a supercharger.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I know when I was looking at SCs that the Whipple 2.3L with the first stage pulley would give you mid 500's on HP and wouldn't void the car's factory warrantee. Then after the warrantee, you could upgrade the pulley and get a 91+ octane tune and get over 600 HP. All at 8-10 psi of boost.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Is that what ford advertises as rwhp or @ the crank? I thought the advertised numbers were more like 550 and 624. I've found that the kenne bell's are able to put down about 560 to wheels at a entry level/moderate setting. However, no warranty. But I would like to see a water/meth system on any of these superchargers and see what kind of difference it makes.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by klisetron
Is that what ford advertises as rwhp or @ the crank? I thought the advertised numbers were more like 550 and 624. I've found that the kenne bell's are able to put down about 560 to wheels at a entry level/moderate setting. However, no warranty. But I would like to see a water/meth system on any of these superchargers and see what kind of difference it makes.
Per Michael at Whipple (Michael@whipplesuperchargers.com) "The HP ratings are flywheel on 91+ octane fuel". He mentioned the two kits were either a 525 HP or 624 HP.

I'm also curious about the water/meth system and it's results.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If my wife gave me 20grand the first thing I would do is call 911 because I would be having a heart attack.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

In terms of internals, rods were just an example. I would surely do pistons, and whatever necessary. I'm not quite up to par on modular motors to be honest. Helped by dad build race cars growing up but those were all push rod motors.

I would probably go with the entry level kits and not get too crazy with it. A sub 10 second car would most definitely not be a good DD. After all, when the mods are done it will still be my DD and have a car seat in the back. It's sort of a rule that I keep it cool while the kid is in the car.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
If my wife gave me 20grand the first thing I would do is call 911 because I would be having a heart attack.
The wife isnt giving my $20K, the military is...she is just letting me spend it on my car =)

Old 06-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

When I got my bonus the wife turned it into "our" bonus.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

WHat branch? Army here currently deployed again.

Anyway as for as blowers look at the Roush blower. Its cheaper and running just as good times and better then the others.

Also the Prochargers and other Centri's are making great power and running great times as well.

This is a nice time for only blower and few miner things(x pipe, wheels). Stock suspension, and stock stall.

[video]
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Marines here. Currently an instructor at MOS school. Its a nice break from being deployed every other year and get spend time with the family. Last deployment was to the helmand province for the majority of 2009. Where abouts are you, keeping OpSec in mind of course.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klisetron View Post
Marines here. Currently an instructor at MOS school. Its a nice break from being deployed every other year and get spend time with the family. Last deployment was to the helmand province for the majority of 2009. Where abouts are you, keeping OpSec in mind of course.
This time i am in Southern Iraq,. This is my 7th total deployment and 4th to Iraq. Ya the year on year off deployment schedule is getting old.

I am looking at going Drill or something when get back. Need a special duty to make that E7. I been rated as one for 3 yrs and it isn't helping..LOL
Old 06-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Rock on to all the military! It's not the easiest lifestyle to live. I deploy 6 months and am home 6 months, and it's getting old. Don't know how mch longer I'll put up with the pace and I'm leaning towards seperation after I finish this term. Hard to be a dad when youve been deployed three quarters of your four year old sons life. In afghan I was working with the marines, army, and navy is a special joint command. It was a good time, y'all are crazy

As far as the roush chargers I saw a video of the game show where the contestants guess the time, and the car ran 10's. It was pretty nice and mega quiet.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it seems like as soon as you get used to being back you have to go over again.
Back to superchargers, I think if you stick with any of the twin screw setups you'll be happy. I'm not totally opposed to the roush or frpp kits I just like the mammoth setup kenne bell offers, seems like you have more headroom to expand upon. I also like how they have the intake down low in under the headlight. It might be more of a pain to clean but you will be getting more free flowing cold air. Plus the huge 168mm throttle body they have, sick! They also start out with a 2.8L, then offer 3.6L,4.2L superchargers however I think the 4.2 might be a bit too much. The lowest setting the latter two sc's off is 15 psi, so you'll definetly want a built bottom end like what you were planning.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yea it seems like as soon as you get used to being back you have to go over again.
Back to superchargers, I think if you stick with any of the twin screw setups you'll be happy. I'm not totally opposed to the roush or frpp kits I just like the mammoth setup kenne bell offers, seems like you have more headroom to expand upon. I also like how they have the intake down low in under the headlight. It might be more of a pain to clean but you will be getting more free flowing cold air. Plus the huge 168mm throttle body they have, sick! They also start out with a 2.8L, then offer 3.6L,4.2L superchargers however I think the 4.2 might be a bit too much. The lowest setting the latter two sc's off is 15 psi, so you'll definetly want a built bottom end like what you were planning.
Fastest 5.0 in the country uses a centrifugal supercharger and runs 8s..

I will be doing a Procharger stage 2 kit. They have seen 700whp with bolt ons. Also JPC made 800whp with a Paxton.

Also getting a PD to hook is always hard then a centri..Also why not look into turbo's?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not going with turbos because of where the power gains will be in the rpm range. Not saying they're not badass, I just want that low end grunt. And what all are they doing to run 8's? Its a little hard to believe a mostly stock car doing that without being built just for the strip, with nitrous and all the other goodies.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Fastest 5.0 in the country uses a centrifugal supercharger and runs 8s..

I will be doing a Procharger stage 2 kit. They have seen 700whp with bolt ons. Also JPC made 800whp with a Paxton.

Also getting a PD to hook is always hard then a centri..Also why not look into turbo's?
I had a procharger on a F150 and it make that tuck come alive. However it had bad lag on boost. Wonder if anything has changed...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
I'm not going with turbos because of where the power gains will be in the rpm range. Not saying they're not badass, I just want that low end grunt. And what all are they doing to run 8's? Its a little hard to believe a mostly stock car doing that without being built just for the strip, with nitrous and all the other goodies.
Evolution runs a F1 Procharger. Makes over 1000hp. They got some work done to it..lol. Still though the centri just have more upgrades. Even with anything more then 10psi you will want a built engine. But even then still better then any one has did with a PD blower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
I had a procharger on a F150 and it make that tuck come alive. However it had bad lag on boost. Wonder if anything has changed...

Have to remember a centri build pressure as you get on it. Perfect for the street and easy on launching the car. Several Centri cars are going 10s as well.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZ View Post
Hellion base 64 mm turbo system at 6 lbs boost it made 540 hp with 605 tq
and made 640 hp 758 tq @ 12 psi with a 76mm turbo.

More technical info to come.

Info on the Hellion Turbo
Old 06-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

That's actually about the same as PD's. Kenne bell's can make up to 1000 hp as well. And plenty of PD's are running 10's as well. Centri's just make the engine bay look too crowded IMO. Now if there were a way to do a dual centri setup, that would be interesting to see the result from that.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

Info on the Hellion Turbo
But what does the torque curve and hp curve look like?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:45 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
That's actually about the same as PD's. Kenne bell's can make up to 1000 hp as well. And plenty of PD's are running 10's as well. Centri's just make the engine bay look too crowded IMO. Now if there were a way to do a dual centri setup, that would be interesting to see the result from that.
There is always a way..Its just a matter if you have the money to do it.

The F1 evo is using makes about 1300hp.

The torque and hp curve for the turbo isn't been posted yet. But ew guys are doing the install now and they are not a shop so we will not have to wait for a magazine to come out.

FastLanes out of Houston makes a turbo kit also. So does Powerhouse.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT