When to run synthetic oil and what type? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
When to run synthetic oil and what type?

When I purchased my last vehicle and wanted to run synthetic the dealer suggested I wait till 10,000 miles to allow the seals to set before running Mobile 1. Has anyone been told of this or know if it is true? I planned to run Mobile 1 but want to make sure the engine is ready. Also, I saw a thread about what type of synthetic to run. I ran Royal Purple in my SC F150 but can get expensive. Wanted to know what others were running in their 5.0? Another factor on the oil is that I do change my oil every 5k miles so does Royal Purple's advantages (if any) over Mobile 1 prove to be worth is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to salcruz
I would like to know what you guys suggest also, I'm in the same situation. New car and I would like to run synthetic oil.
salcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #3

Region: Georgia
Re: When to run synthetic oil and what type?

Synthetic is more likely to cause oil leaks and waiting is slightly better before switching to it. It has better lubrication and higher detergentcy so during the break in period the rings will seat faster and other clearances will rub down faster with regular oil. Once everything is broken in, the synthetic is much better. Ford recommends 10,000 miles between changes. You can streach this with synthetic. The tech who changes the oil then sets the reminder for the next change and it may be set at 3,000 or more miles. This is a problem if you plan to save by waiting to 10k mile to change because this annoying notice blocks useful dash data and make s the dealer visit more urgent... That's nasty *** Ford marketing! Common sense is needed.
maddog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico

I've heard that that's a myth. No evidence to show either way though.
Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking

switch over whenever you like. the cobras come factory with synthetic already in them with no miles on them
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking
switch over whenever you like. the cobras come factory with synthetic already in them with no miles on them
Interesting. Maybe it was the import motor versus American muscle.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

What's wrong with motorcraft?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Don't these 5.0's come with motorcraft syn-blend from the factory?? I did my oil change using that oil at 1,300 miles now I have 2,200 miles
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

When you break in a new engine you use conventional oil. I've heard some say if you run conventional it's useless to run synthetic because it will get in the places the coventional couldn't and will burn (not a quart or anything but some). The best thing to do is get the price of synthetic and buy conventional put the extra money in a jar and when you have enough buy some mods with that money.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Don't these 5.0's come with motorcraft syn-blend from the factory?? I did my oil change using that oil at 1,300 miles now I have 2,200 miles
I would think that's what comes in it.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
A lot of new vehicles come with synthetic in them now. I don't see a benefit to using conventional at all. Too many good results with synthetic for me but to each their own!
Greg687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7
When you break in a new engine you use conventional oil. I've heard some say if you run conventional it's useless to run synthetic because it will get in the places the coventional couldn't and will burn (not a quart or anything but some). The best thing to do is get the price of synthetic and buy conventional put the extra money in a jar and when you have enough buy some mods with that money.
Wrong. Research before you sperm. What ppl "say" means nothing if they don't know what they are talking about
Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking View Post
Wrong. Research before you sperm. What ppl "say" means nothing if they don't know what they are talking about
It was from one of the top thanked users on this site before it went big and is true. And already spermed today so you know this is truth.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Dam iPhone auto correct...
Anyways. I've ran several engines freshly built on full synthetic and have never had a seal seeping because I didn't use conventional oil
Old 07-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
Quote:
Dam iPhone auto correct...
Anyways. I've ran several engines freshly built on full synthetic and have never had a seal seeping because I didn't use conventional oil
That isn't what he stated. I have also been told by people who have had their motors featured on Horsepower TV and who I had build me a motor that you should break in an engine with conventional oil for the first 500 miles.

Huntsville Engines and Performance, to be exact.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent

That isn't what he stated.
He says when you break in an engine you use conventional oil. I said I've broke in three with synthetic and have had no problems. How's does that not apply?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He says when you break in an engine you use conventional oil. I said I've broke in three with synthetic and have had no problems. How's does that not apply?
I'm glad you had good luck brother.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Read my edit.

Quote:
Comes off cocky, to be honest. Even without the "autocorrect", which one has to wonder why that was even autocorrected in the first place.

Who are you to claim superiority over anyone else when you have no idea who it was that told that person what they are commenting?

You had not a clue who Upton was referring too when you posted yet they were wrong and you were right, just because you have done it before? Well, I know successful engine builders that recommend against using synthetic oil when breaking in an engine.

That doesn't make you wrong. There is a time where there is an area that isn't right or wrong. Have you ever heard the term "Your mileage may vary"?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It was louis by the way.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent

Read my edit.

Comes off cocky, to be honest. Even without the "autocorrect", which one has to wonder why that was even autocorrected in the first place.

Who are you to claim superiority over anyone else when you have no idea who it was that told that person what they are commenting?

You had not a clue who Upton was referring too when you posted yet they were wrong and you were right, just because you have done it before? Well, I know successful engine builders that recommend against using synthetic oil when breaking in an engine.

That doesn't make you wrong. There is a time where there is an area that isn't right or wrong. Have you ever heard the term "Your mileage may vary"?
Ok my bad for coming off cocky. Haven't had the best day
Anyways what I was trying to get at is I've seen engines broken in with both conventional oil and synthetic oil. And as long as the engine was built right the engine had no problems.
You can break in with conventional oil just fine. But I have seen three of mine and some from other break in just fine on synthetic

Again I'm sorry for coming off cocky
Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It's cool man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT