2011 front end noise question. Help please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
2011 front end noise question. Help please

Last week I traded in my 08 GT for a 2011 GT. First off, I love the new car, but I have been noticing a lot of front end noise and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing it. It’s not a popping sound; rather, it’s a rubbing or low pitch squeaking noise. I first noticed it yesterday when driving over a speed bump, but today it was more frequent. It does it during normal driving conditions, not just going over bumps. It sounds like polyurethane bushings that need to be lubed. Any ideas or fixes would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinglesson
Last week I traded in my 08 GT for a 2011 GT. First off, I love the new car, but I have been noticing a lot of front end noise and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing it. It’s not a popping sound; rather, it’s a rubbing or low pitch squeaking noise. I first noticed it yesterday when driving over a speed bump, but today it was more frequent. It does it during normal driving conditions, not just going over bumps. It sounds like polyurethane bushings that need to be lubed. Any ideas or fixes would be appreciated.
Funny you mention this. I've heard the same noise but only going over the speed bump. I just thought it was the strut compression making the noise. Do you hear this constantly?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: 2011 front end noise question. Help please

i would take it to ford and make sure they ride with you so you can show them then dont take no for an answer make them fix it
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinglesson View Post
Mine has the same thing driver's side front noise, only happens going over speed bumps for me though. Take it to the dealer to have them check it out. I took off the wheel to check to see if any of the suspension was loose, or hitting and all was well, so I will wait a little before taking it to the dealer.

Northern Virginia Mustang Club
Silver Mustang Registry #1045
2010 Brilliant Silver 4.0 V6 Traded and will be missed
2011 Performance White Premium GT 5.0 6MT, 19" Machined Wheels, 3.73 gears, GT500 Axle-Backs, Eibach Pro Springs, Dynojet #'s 387rwhp/380 tq.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It only does it when I have been driving. And the car is warmed up. If I let the car sit a while, it won't make noise. It makes the noise under normal driving, especially when accelerating and braking. I looked at everything underneath the car, and all looks normal. It's more of a nuisance than anything else.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

I had the same problem on mine brand new. It was a bad lower control arm bushing from the factory. I believe there is even a TSB out about it if I recall. After they replaced mine under warranty I haven't had any problems. That was 2300 miles ago.
HIS: "Night-Mare": 2012 Mustang GT/CS, Black on Black, MT, 3.73 Gears, HID's, Security/Comfort/Electronics Packages. #2 of ????

HERS: "Blue Steel": 2012 Mustang V6, Kona Blue, AT.
Gconn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Gcon007,

Thanks for the post, it is driving me nuts. This is what I love about forums. Thanks again, I will post the aftermath.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gconn007 View Post
I had the same problem on mine brand new. It was a bad lower control arm bushing from the factory. I believe there is even a TSB out about it if I recall. After they replaced mine under warranty I haven't had any problems. That was 2300 miles ago.
Ditto. I had both of my LCAs replaced, and it's gone. The TSB was just put out in the last few days I think. Ford's techs came out to my dealer to inspect my old ones a few weeks ago when they were swapped (I'm near Ford HQ).
J1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hmm that's good to know I will pay attention to that, I have to bring it into ford this week too for the rear sway bar link which which broke for some odd reason...
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Same here. I'm due to go in for service in a few weeks so I'll have them take a look at mine as well and post my results as well.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Update: So I just picked up my car, and the dealership changed both control arms. They narrowed it down to the left side, but decided to change both. I saw both the old and new, and they are definately different. I only mention this because I am glad they are using an improved part versus the same.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinglesson
Update: So I just picked up my car, and the dealership changed both control arms. They narrowed it down to the left side, but decided to change both. I saw both the old and new, and they are definately different. I only mention this because I am glad they are using an improved part versus the same.
I finally got both mine replaced as well. Still a slight compression squeak but no knocks.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka

I finally got both mine replaced as well. Still a slight compression squeak but no knocks.
Is there a recall on the lower control arms?
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not a recall, but there is a TSB
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

wow such good stuff on these forums, seriously this site rocks. ive tried very hard to become more active on the ny stang forums but....there just no love there lol

any one know where i can get a list of all the TSBS!?
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #16

I finally Googled this to see if others are having the same problem. The lower control arms on my 2012 GT/CS are being replaced for the third time in 4 months! They finally put a different set. Ford said the last sets they have been putting in aren't being made anymore. Hopefully that noise won't come back. It is definitely annoying!
xKayos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT