Sh*t - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sh*t

Took the new 5.0 to the track last night. Made 1 pass and made it about 40 feet down the track.

Anyone here blow up there tranny yet? Hahaha warranty is good for something at least. Pretty choked still, but I haven't had a problem with the car yet and I drive the bag off of it.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dam that sucks. Yea warranty is good for something lol. Cheap china transmissions.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Re: Sh*t

I lost my tranny(synchro's in 3/4/5) at the track. Dealer fixed it with a nice new tranny and clutch. I had about 2000 miles on the car then. Only mods were tune, cold air and some sticky tires. But it did run a 11 sec pass even on the pass the tranny lost 5th..haha.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I still have the stock tires on it. Maybe get another month outta then. Then running Mickys, the dealership said they were gunna call me around noon to tell me what exactly happen.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #5

Region: South Carolina

Be careful advertising things like this on the forums as Ford does have people that read them.
Timeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
Be careful advertising things like this on the forums as Ford does have people that read them.
this. and im surprised that ford even replaced ur tranny with the tune and CAI considering how anal theyve been recently

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercrazy718

this. and im surprised that ford even replaced ur tranny with the tune and CAI considering how anal theyve been recently
I got all my stuff done through a dealership hook up. So I'm ok. I also have full exhaust and a boss intake on it.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercrazy718 View Post
They will have to prove that tune and CAI ruined my tranny. I will make sure of that.

Hell being they never fixed my misfire issue when the car was stock. Well they can call it even replacing me a tranny.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the warranty does not cover you if you were on a track when the issue took place, heck they probably will void the entire warranty if they ever find out you were on a track FYI
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
the warranty does not cover you if you were on a track when the issue took place, heck they probably will void the entire warranty if they ever find out you were on a track FYI
Yes I new that my dad told me actually lol. I said I was driving home from a movie hahahhaha
Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
I got all my stuff done through a dealership hook up. So I'm ok. I also have full exhaust and a boss intake on it.
o ok well thats good. have a lot of trannys been going out on lightly modded cars? i havent really seen much except for you two

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
That sucks!!! They are having problems. Should have went with Tremec, Ford!

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yepp i agree with you. Ford shoulda stuck with tremec.
Jamesgt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I think it will depend on the dealer. Mine knew I raced my car a few times. Hell I ran the Service managers stock 08 GT500 with my car on the street. Just cause he knew I had tune, cold air, gears. Wanted to see the out come. His car was stock. And he lost and he was mad he just bought the GT500. Paid more then I did as well.

Not only that but who really goes in and tells them ya I am having tranny issues they started at the track.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Quote:
o ok well thats good. have a lot of trannys been going out on lightly modded cars? i havent really seen much except for you two
The tranny issue was happening on bone stock cars. So hard for them to say it was a tune or cold air. They have a few TSB's out on the tranny fix's. Most them are PP bolts backing out and stuff like that.

And Agree should have stuff with the Tremec. Least gave us something stronger.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
I lost my tranny(synchro's in 3/4/5) at the track. Dealer fixed it with a nice new tranny and clutch. I had about 2000 miles on the car then. Only mods were tune, cold air and some sticky tires. But it did run a 11 sec pass even on the pass the tranny lost 5th..haha.
Exact same thing happen to my tranny. There gunna replace the tranny along with the clutch. I'm paying for a lighter fly wheel and I was thinking of a heavy clutch? Does anyone know what the stock clutches hold?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Greene View Post
Exact same thing happen to my tranny. There gunna replace the tranny along with the clutch. I'm paying for a lighter fly wheel and I was thinking of a heavy clutch? Does anyone know what the stock clutches hold?
Seems most are changing it before the have any issues. Seen a few people have had issues after 450whp. I know mine is starting to slip. I am going to a Ran 10.5 with aluminum fly wheel.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post

The tranny issue was happening on bone stock cars. So hard for them to say it was a tune or cold air. They have a few TSB's out on the tranny fix's. Most them are PP bolts backing out and stuff like that.
yea i know about the other problems but that isnt a tranny blowing up. like your synchros going out i hadnt heard of that before

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
yea i know about the other problems but that isnt a tranny blowing up. like your synchros going out i hadnt heard of that before
I have seen a few others with same issue's. Cant get car in 1st-5th gears. Dealer says its the synchro's and replace tranny.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
I have seen a few others with same issue's. Cant get car in 1st-5th gears. Dealer says its the synchro's and replace tranny.
ah ok gotcha. so it might have just happened with agressive daily driving as well

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgt08 View Post
Dam that sucks. Yea warranty is good for something lol. Cheap china transmissions.
Why does everyone keep saying this? I was under the impression that they were from Canada. There is a lot of cheap **** that comes out of China, but in this case blame needs to be assigned where it is due, so blame Canada.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Why does everyone keep saying this? I was under the impression that they were from Canada. There is a lot of cheap **** that comes out of China, but in this case blame needs to be assigned where it is due, so blame Canada.
im pretty sure the manual trannys are from china. ive never heard they were from canada

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Me either. They are from China.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
im pretty sure the manual trannys are from china. ive never heard they were from canada
I had read that in a post by one of the car blogs (C/D, MT, Jalopnik - cant remember who tbh) but some fact checking has proved that to be inaccurate. What I have found is that it's designed by a German company and produced in China. They also produce transmissions used in some very reputable cars such as the BMW M3, M5, M6 and Z4, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, and have produced transaxles used in Porsche's and Audi's. Below is the wiki link with supporting references.

Getrag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ford Mustang (fifth generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I had read that in a post by one of the car blogs (C/D, MT, Jalopnik - cant remember who tbh) but some fact checking has proved that to be inaccurate. What I have found is that it's designed by a German company and produced in China. They also produce transmissions used in some very reputable cars such as the BMW M3, M5, M6 and Z4, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, and have produced transaxles used in Porsche's and Audi's. Below is the wiki link with supporting references.

Getrag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ford Mustang (fifth generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
hmm thats interesting i didnt know that. i think why most ppl are calling it a chinese tranny is bc it was assembled in china, and therefore quality control isnt as strict as Tremec for an example. some of these trannys are just fine and have been running hard for several thousand miles, like my dads. but yet some randomly crap out doing stuff like a 1/4 mile that others have been doing for months. the problem, as i understand it, is that some of these trannys just arent made as well as others. correct me if im wrong tho bc this is just stuff ive been seeing around the interwebz. i havent researched it too heavily

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...transmissions/

Wrote this for the blog earlier this month.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

All this news about the Transmission being garbage is not cool. Im waiting on my '12 GT to come in (just got pushed back to 10/18/11 ) and im like nervous already. Anything to stay away from mod wise? I was only thinking about CAI and exhaust nothing major...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

switch your order to auto
brickcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE47 View Post
All this news about the Transmission being garbage is not cool. Im waiting on my '12 GT to come in (just got pushed back to 10/18/11 ) and im like nervous already. Anything to stay away from mod wise? I was only thinking about CAI and exhaust nothing major...
its honestly luck of the draw at this point, and the chances of you getting a bad one are pretty small. if you look around here we have a thread with a poll where ppl reported if they had a problem or not. the majority have not had a problem

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #29
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
They're stamped Japan................
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Shelby View Post
They're stamped Japan................
ok ive never heard that either lol

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

aight ill keep my fingers crossed, but im gonna stick with the stick shift.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Shoulda went tremec ford

Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't had any issues HAH!. Granted, my car is pretty stock, and it probably will not 'see' a track-unless it's 'out in the parking lot'... I do think that Tremec's record speaks for itself. I don't really dig the skip-shift feature-but at this point with nearly 11000 trouble free miles-it's a 'no-issue'. Screw the AT, get the stick.

2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Getrag is a smoother more precise tranny, when not broken. It's a new transmisssion so they are working the bugs out. When it works it is probably the best tranny u can get. It is put in so many luxury sport cars. Its made in china to cut costs, Tremec is made in Mexico which as far as I'm concerned is worse.
Gster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
^^^I would edit your user information(if it has your email address listed, I didn't check), so that they cannot track your email and postings.

As for the transmission being made in China, you would be surprised with how well China can replicate components and tolerances these days. Not everything made there is "crap"

Getrag is a fantastic transmission company and they make some BEEFY drivetrain components. I believe this issue is improperly mated materials(plastics, aluminums and steels used in the transmission) that don't work well together. All of the failures I have seen or heard of are synchro-related.

Good luck, OP. Let us know how it goes!

FWIW, the Coyote motor is assembled in Canada
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT