Mustang Evolution Forum banner

DYNO'd my car today.

5K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  wnt2gofst 
#1 ·
Best run was 378hp/328tq ... comes out to about 444hp/385tq assuming 15% drivetrain loss. I'm honestly a little disappointed in the results, I was expecting to be much closer to 400 at the wheels. The shop seemed to think that in better weather (it's hot as hell today) I would be, but I seem off by a long shot to just blame it on the weather.

I was running my datalogger (livelink with my SCT X3) and will be sending the data off to Bama to see if they think everything looks OK or if adjustments need to be made.

See less See more
#4 ·
You have a Boss intake and only redlining at 7200ish? That one issue. Next issue is Bama tune, then followed by you need some headers with a x pipe.

Have them take your rpms out to 7800. You will see more gains. The Boss is still making power out that far.

#6 ·
thats a 2011 5.0 with some mods See his signature.:D

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

I have seen some stock 5.0's with those numbers, there seems to be something wrong. I would expect slightly over 400 to the wheel with those mods.

#8 ·
I understand that every dyno is different, but these results are pretty low. I mean I'm putting out stock numbers with some significant mods and a tune!

I assume this was done in 5th (1:1 gear on this car). This is a very reputable shop that has done tons of mustangs and some 5.0s already. I didn't even think to question it.

#13 · (Edited)
Best run was 378hp/328tq ... comes out to about 444hp/385tq assuming 15% drivetrain loss. I'm honestly a little disappointed in the results, I was expecting to be much closer to 400 at the wheels. The shop seemed to think that in better weather (it's hot as hell today) I would be, but I seem off by a long shot to just blame it on the weather.

I was running my datalogger (livelink with my SCT X3) and will be sending the data off to Bama to see if they think everything looks OK or if adjustments need to be made.

AM has a video with their claim.

AM claims to get just over 400 with their Boss intake. You might want to give those guys a call, plus as everyone else is saying BAMA for tunes, AM works with the BAMA guys.

BOSS Mustang Power Pack (11-12 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

You have any pics of your engine, I would like to see the Boss intake on your engine. I'm debating it.

#14 · (Edited)
I've already sent them the dyno sheet and datalog. The guy I talked to on the phone (Dan) seemed shocked that I was putting down such low numbers with those mods and said he will make sure it gets looked in to.

This is from kinds far away ... I'll look around for a better pic.

EDIT: Here are some better ones.

#15 ·
I would say that its not that low ... I mean I've seen stock 5.0's comin in around 360
Bad air could have a lot to do with it ?
My Buddy's Boss only dyno's in at 385 stock , and he dyno tuned it and could only get it up to 401 ...
so your not that far off, every car is different

#16 ·
I would be really disappionted if I had a boss and it dynoed at 385. When the average manual 5.0 is 370-375. Then only to get to 401 with a dyno tune. I made 409whp with cold air, axle back mufflers, email tune from BBR.

I agree the OP's numbers are low. I am thinking it is in the tune/wrong gear and heat combined.

#25 ·
I could ahve told you stock air box don't fit...And as far as bolt fuel rails on then bolting the Boss down. That is what we did. We also have universal joints and etc etc. With fuel issue we bleed it all out just cause my buddy said they will spray. Said he seen to many times.
ALL NICE ET's :headbang:
true it is a handling car , but to run a high 11 , bone stock , with less than a 1,000 miles on the clock ,that's pretty freakin' fast !!! I've driven the new GT , And John's BOSS ,and there's no comparison believe me , the difference is night and day .. you would be impressed if you drove one I'm telling you
of coarse my car's a dinosaur compared to the new Iron so I don't have a lot to go by , lol
na, actually I do ,thanks to my friends who all earn more $$$$ than me I get to drive all of these great cars :headbang:
I have road in a Boss. But it was hard to compare to my car since when I got to ride in it mine was full bolt ons already.

I do think to many people are worried about what the Boss does in a straight line since it was not met for that. It was met to be a high revving track fighting machine. Taking corners as fast as it can. Then two 1/4 mile and corner carvers don't really go together.

My buddy has a 2V that can spank the **** out me in the turns. It is a pure American Iron Racing Car set up. But he took it to the drag strips and was slow as ****.

#26 ·
Well, I just got an email from the shop. It turns out the dyno guy accidentally used 4th gear for the pulls (old habits die hard I suppose) and they will be giving me another set of pulls. I'll post back here once I have the results.

#32 ·
Napoleon85 said:
Well, I just got an email from the shop. It turns out the dyno guy accidentally used 4th gear for the pulls (old habits die hard I suppose) and they will be giving me another set of pulls. I'll post back here once I have the results.
Awesome I knew the numbers weren't making sense!
Let us know how it goes.
Nice job on the install by the way

#37 ·
wnt2gofst said:
I had a shop tell me it didn't matter what I went in 4th or 5th. He said he dyno my car to prove it. We did. My car made about 18whp less in 4th then it did in 5th. And this was the guy was suppose to know everything.his claim)He has a LS1 Fbody that goes high 9's so everyone thinks he is great. The car is gutted its his shop car but still 9's all motor is nice. It goes low 9's on spray. I have seen it my self. But rumor is he does great on his and people he likes but regular customers he does just ok. I didn't let him touch it besides giving some base numbers and just to prove him wrong.

That good you got a tune update.

I still say you need to take advantage of the Boss. And only going to 7300rpms is not taking advantage of it. With it the car loves to breath and rev to the moon. 7800....THat will be the key.
Sounds like sunshine performance?

#38 ·
HAHA..You are correct. I have found least 8 people he ****ed over some how or another.

I also found if you want anything mustang you go to Jeff Smith with Central Texas Performance. He is teh best. There a reason some the guys at LMR use him for tuning on there cars and he is a vendor for KB/WHipple/procharger/Nitrous Outlet/and about every one else also.

He is the one who did my dyno tune and is doing my engine build.

#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.