Road Course setup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Question Road Course setup

So I'm picking up my new 5.0 this Friday (GT, Brembo,3.73). This is my first Mustang, I use to drive an RX-8. I plan on road racing it at least 5-7 times a season at Road America (kick a%$ track). I decided on the 5.0 over another RX-8 (wife wrecked old one) due to the fact that the RX-8 is a better handling car than the 5.0 but it's much more expensive to get it to have the power of the 5.0. The 5.0 on the other hand may not handle as great in stock form but after a few grand I'm sure it can surpas the 8. So in the end the 5.0 was the most cost effective option.

So, being new to the mustang world what would be the steps I take to beef up the suspension. The driver mod will be done in early Spring as I do about 4 days of events, so by early summer I'll start the suspension upgrades. I'm new to american muscle so i am cluless. I want a set-up that will work great together. I was thinking of doing the upgrade in two stages. First body regidity (sway bars, subframes etc...) then actual suspension (coil overs, lcas etc...). It's my DD but just to and from work (15 miles each way), the family car (Pilot) does the rest. I need some drivabilty but can handle a stiff ride as long as it dosn't break my back.

What do you think?
Devildog1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I am not sure your comment about the rx8 being better handling is correct. The car you are picking up was tested by road and track and they ran it up against a BMW m3 with it's track package setup and they were something like .1 sec difference around the track. The new 5.0 is no slouch right from the factory. Give it a try as is before deciding where and when to put more money in. It might surprise you. The skidpad test of the car was the same as the BMW at .97g while car and driver had the 2009 rx8 at only .87g. The new mustang would spanking it on the road coarse.
guzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
I am not sure your comment about the rx8 being better handling is correct. The car you are picking up was tested by road and track and they ran it up against a BMW m3 with it's track package setup and they were something like .1 sec difference around the track. The new 5.0 is no slouch right from the factory. Give it a try as is before deciding where and when to put more money in. It might surprise you. The skidpad test of the car was the same as the BMW at .97g while car and driver had the 2009 rx8 at only .87g. The new mustang would spanking it on the road coarse.
Should clarify, the 8 was easier to drive at the limits. Though I've never driven a Mustang so I can be wrong. I use to catch up to Mustangs all the time in the corners, though they took off on the straights. I'll check it out in the spring but I need to start saving now so I need to have an idea of what I'll need.
Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, Accessory pkg 5, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill & Roush CAI(non tune). More to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Road Course setup

That was the old mustangs. This new 5.0 is a different beast. It is a better handling car right from the factory.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie
That was the old mustangs. This new 5.0 is a different beast. It is a better handling car right from the factory.
I'll find out Friday
Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, Accessory pkg 5, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill & Roush CAI(non tune). More to come
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

These would be a good start:
Ford Racing Performance Parts

After that, get some wider/stickier tires on those wheels. A Cold Air Intake and 93 octane tune will help liven up the throttle response and bring you out of the corners faster as well. Oh, and put a manly exhaust on there ... the stock exhaust is "disappointing" at best.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Welcome to the club. I would like to try some road coarses sometime. I live in Michigan and I used to ride motorcycles on gratten here. Would be fun in the stang. To worried about messing it up though if I do something stupid.

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

I love the roush cans on mine. Tons of compliments and head turning.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie View Post
I love the roush cans on mine. Tons of compliments and head turning.
I have the same exhaust. Youtube videos of my car (did the install myself) below:

Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
These would be a good start:

After that, get some wider/stickier tires on those wheels. A Cold Air Intake and 93 octane tune will help liven up the throttle response and bring you out of the corners faster as well. Oh, and put a manly exhaust on there ... the stock exhaust is "disappointing" at best.
I won't be modding the power train until the warranty is up. To $$ to fix if something goes wrong. So CAI & Tune are out. New exhaust is definitely on the list.

Why strut mounts? Are new ones needed with the upgrade?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, the springs don't sit right with the mounts used in the 2011-12 cars...as outlined on the FRPP site:
Quote:
Fits 2011-2012 Mustang GT Coupe when used with M-18183-C upper strut mounts and M-18000-A Dampers
I believe that if you have the Brembo package, you are good without them though.

Quote:
I won't be modding the power train until the warranty is up.
You're really going to wait five years to put a CAI or tune on the car? It's not like were talking about putting in new cams or strapping on a blower here.

My opinion on the matter is that it will likely be so outdated at that point that you might as well just buy a new one instead of modding it. I would imagine that in 2016 the current Mustangs will have engines so much more powerful and/or efficient that the 5.0L will look like a dinosaur. Don't get me wrong, the 5.0L Coyote engine is great, but nothing about it is technologically ground breaking ... it doesn't even have direct injection, and VCT/VVT are decade old technologies.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

5 years? Who gets to 5 years before hitting the miles. I drive mine too much. I will break the 60000 mile mark in three.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I do. I only put about 3000-5000 a year on my stangs.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I hear you but with the TSB about mods, I can see them blaming a engine or tranny failure on CAI & tune. The car will be paid off in two years. I may wait till then, fir know the wife said no to any engine mods. I'm lucky she let me get it having two kids and all. I'll wear her down in two
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's a waste of a stang to just sit in the garage. Drive the heck out of it and enjoy it is my motto.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Agree drive it. Most have beat on them form day one and no issues.

Also some already commented. But they compared the 5.0 to the M3 on the track. The 5.0 beat it in the 1/4 mile and was a hair behind it on a road course. I would say it handles better then a RX8 and also with a bunch more power.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1679 View Post
I hear you but with the TSB about mods, I can see them blaming a engine or tranny failure on CAI & tune. The car will be paid off in two years. I may wait till then, fir know the wife said no to any engine mods. I'm lucky she let me get it having two kids and all. I'll wear her down in two
I know what you mean ... but I've already gone down that road and there is no turning back. Ford service and warranties (probably most auto manufacturers) is a joke anyways. It's very rare that I have ever had them fix something, hell they couldn't even successfully balance my wheels/tires!

Quote:
That's a waste of a stang to just sit in the garage. Drive the heck out of it and enjoy it is my motto.
It would look like hell if I did. At work I have to park in the mud on a regular basis, and I drive through multiple construction zones. My daily driver gets beat to crap, I don't want my stang looking like that. I also refuse to drive it on snow/ice/salt. Damage is done that can never be repaired when you do that, and in Ohio ... well that's about 6 months of the year
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I drive mine all year here in Michigan. I take it through the wash every couple days. I have unlimited wash package for 30 bucks a month. It is always nice and clean. I won't let anything build up on it.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I drive mine all year here in Michigan. I take it through the wash every couple days. I have unlimited wash package for 30 bucks a month. It is always nice and clean. I won't let anything build up on it.
If you're comfortable subjecting your stang to that, then by all means go ahead. Mine will never see snow/ice/salt ... period. I even avoid taking it out during/after rain, not because of the rain itself, but because of the crap the rain washes on the road and the oils/fluids that the rain brings to the surface.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Agree drive it. Most have beat on them form day one and no issues.

Also some already commented. But they compared the 5.0 to the M3 on the track. The 5.0 beat it in the 1/4 mile and was a hair behind it on a road course. I would say it handles better then a RX8 and also with a bunch more power.
I’ll find out this Friday. My 8 handles like it was on rails, I loved that car but it was so under powered.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1679 View Post
I’ll find out this Friday. My 8 handles like it was on rails, I loved that car but it was so under powered.
Good luck. I do think you will need some practice to get used to the car. Also I would look at investing in some good tires to start.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

If you're comfortable subjecting your stang to that, then by all means go ahead. Mine will never see snow/ice/salt ... period. I even avoid taking it out during/after rain, not because of the rain itself, but because of the crap the rain washes on the road and the oils/fluids that the rain brings to the surface.
I'm with u there, my stang doesn't come out in the rain at all and it still looks pristine like the day I picked it up... Having a DD is awesome I park it carefree, it's definitely peace of mind... Every car has it's purpose
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT