PCM & Tune ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
PCM & Tune ???

Curious about something. They say Ford can tell if you flashed the PCM with aftermarket tune and the tuner TSB is unsettling. What if you had a second PCM and flash that one. Then when you go in for any major service swap the original PCM back in as well as stock air intake. Would this work? How much is a new PCM?
Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, Accessory pkg 5, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill & Roush CAI(non tune). More to come
Devildog1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: PCM & Tune ???

I think you should be good ... but a PCM will cost you a few thousand. I suppose that's a small price to pay if you are really that concerned about your warranty. You could probably fix whatever the warranty didn't cover for that price.

Your best bet is to just consider your warranty void and be prepared to assume financial liability for any repairs if you mod your car. The cost of this can be greatly reduced by using reputable local shops instead of dealerships.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

They could tell by your key strokes. It will not work. Some have tried it already. Also where you going to get the PCM with ford knowing? Also your keys are set to your PCM. You would not be able to program them for every PCM. As it would be different. And you have to have the Ford ID to make the PCM work from the go.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Also one guy on Modular had to buy a new PCM it cost him 1200.
One guy that works for Ford got his at his cost which was 450(he fried his). He said list is 612 but by the one guy they have a dealer mark up.

Thanks Sean Kelly
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
They could tell by your key strokes. It will not work. Some have tried it already. Also where you going to get the PCM with ford knowing? Also your keys are set to your PCM. You would not be able to program them for every PCM. As it would be different. And you have to have the Ford ID to make the PCM work from the go.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Also one guy on Modular had to buy a new PCM it cost him 1200.
One guy that works for Ford got his at his cost which was 450(he fried his). He said list is 612 but by the one guy they have a dealer mark up.

Thanks Sean Kelly
The whole key thing does ruin it. So the key is programed to every PCM? As for Ford knowing can't you just order a PCM like any other part? I did on my last Camaro. I fried it and ordered a knew one.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1679 View Post
The whole key thing does ruin it. So the key is programed to every PCM? As for Ford knowing can't you just order a PCM like any other part? I did on my last Camaro. I fried it and ordered a knew one.
They Keys are tied to the PCM. I had my PCM replaced by the dealer. They had to go in and tie the keys to it. After that I had t o load my tune in the car.

You are right you can order it but how you going to switch keys back and forth? They have the Program to tie it together. I have not heard of anyone else being able to do that yet.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
They Keys are tied to the PCM. I had my PCM replaced by the dealer. They had to go in and tie the keys to it. After that I had t o load my tune in the car.

You are right you can order it but how you going to switch keys back and forth? They have the Program to tie it together. I have not heard of anyone else being able to do that yet.
Damn you burst my bubble More research is needed on this. Thanks for all your input.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1679 View Post
Damn you burst my bubble More research is needed on this. Thanks for all your input.
There was a thread on S197 about this. And I thought would work also. Then finally a guy that works at a ford dealer explained about the keys. He explained how they tried to do it for a car. Cause they thought the PCM was bad etc. Plus another guy said same thing. Then I had issue with my car and remembered keys.,

I will see if I can find thread.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
There was a thread on S197 about this. And I thought would work also. Then finally a guy that works at a ford dealer explained about the keys. He explained how they tried to do it for a car. Cause they thought the PCM was bad etc. Plus another guy said same thing. Then I had issue with my car and remembered keys.,

I will see if I can find thread.
Thanks
Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, Accessory pkg 5, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill & Roush CAI(non tune). More to come
Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Road Trip!

found it

WWW.S197FORUM.COM
Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1679
Curious about something. They say Ford can tell if you flashed the PCM with aftermarket tune and the tuner TSB is unsettling. What if you had a second PCM and flash that one. Then when you go in for any major service swap the original PCM back in as well as stock air intake. Would this work? How much is a new PCM?
Ford can tell if it was flashed with aftermarket, once you do that there is no going back. Idk what yr your car is but if it's old enough you won't have the key issue.
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

you could get another key made then switch the PCM and have that key tied to that PCM then when you switch back you still have another set of key
tylerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb
you could get another key made then switch the PCM and have that key tied to that PCM then when you switch back you still have another set of key
Thats what I was planning. Still some research to do.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #14
erk
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I had the same concerns. Finally I just came to terms with my mods voiding the warranty. The fact is if you buy from the right people and install the right way you will not have any problem until 60k anyway. The car is well built and 95% of the time you don't ever use the warranty.
erk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT