Compression/boosting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Compression/boosting

So I have been trying to figure out the way I want to go about supercharging my mustang and I know that I want the roushcharger and I want to forge out the motor. I was looking at pistons and they sell 11:1 and 9:5:1 compression pistons. Now from the site they say that the 11:1 is good for low boost and 9:5:1 is good for boosting all the way around, what I am wondering is with the lower compression pistons how much psi do you have to run through the cylinders to compensate for the lost power of lower compression pistons? How much boost is considered "low boost". I am not looking to boost the crap out of it but I would be looking to run between 9-12 pounds and I want to know which piston would be the better choice without blowing a rod.

Thanks
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Most run 6-8 psi with stock to be safe.
Dbsaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Compression/boosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbsaints View Post
Most run 6-8 psi with stock to be safe.
yeah that's what i have been hearing...what i am wondering is if i go forged do i go with the 11:0:1 forged banking on the h rods i intend on ordering will hold up to 12psi or do I go with the 9:5:1 boost 12 psi? the 11:0:1 compression will give me more horsepower per psi but I don't want to do it if it means taking a great risk in destroying the engine; however i don't want to go with the 9:5:1 if there is no need for going with the lower compression at 12 psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy

yeah that's what i have been hearing...what i am wondering is if i go forged do i go with the 11:0:1 forged banking on the h rods i intend on ordering will hold up to 12psi or do I go with the 9:5:1 boost 12 psi? the 11:0:1 compression will give me more horsepower per psi but I don't want to do it if it means taking a great risk in destroying the engine; however i don't want to go with the 9:5:1 if there is no need for going with the lower compression at 12 psi
I'd pm stupidfast5.0 about it
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra View Post
I'd pm stupidfast5.0 about it
thanks i just sent him a message
Old 09-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Look on modularfords or S197. There are plenty of guys running the 9-12psi on stock internals with no issues. Guys have had not had any issues up to about 650 with PD blowers and 700whp with centri's.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

9psi stock internals.

Initial Procharger Track Times

STock internals 9.5psi. Roush blower.

My RoushCharged '11 Vert

7psi and made 600whp. centri.

Turbo is even better. 14psi is what they are making here.
New Hellion Track Times Inside!
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Look on modularfords or S197. There are plenty of guys running the 9-12psi on stock internals with no issues. Guys have had not had any issues up to about 650 with PD blowers and 700whp with centri's.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

9psi stock internals.

Initial Procharger Track Times

STock internals 9.5psi. Roush blower.

My RoushCharged '11 Vert

7psi and made 600whp. centri.

Turbo is even better. 14psi is what they are making here.
New Hellion Track Times Inside!
thanks for the info what my question is when it comes to forged out internals do i go with the standard forged that i will get 11:1 with 9 to 12 pounds or should i go with the 9:5:1 forged dish pistons for 9 to 12 pounds
Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
thanks for the info what my question is when it comes to forged out internals do i go with the standard forged that i will get 11:1 with 9 to 12 pounds or should i go with the 9:5:1 forged dish pistons for 9 to 12 pounds
I know I was showing you that you do not need t he forged internals for that PSI range.

Now if you are going to do them go with the 9.5:1. It will be better in the long run. WIll handle more boost. YOu will only want 9-12 for XXXX long, Then you will want to turn it up. We all do it.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
I know I was showing you that you do not need t he forged internals for that PSI range.

Now if you are going to do them go with the 9.5:1. It will be better in the long run. WIll handle more boost. YOu will only want 9-12 for XXXX long, Then you will want to turn it up. We all do it.
do you have a rough range for what forged internal pistons and h rods might cost to have installed? I already have a rough estimate of about 1100 for the pistons and the rods
Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
do you have a rough range for what forged internal pistons and h rods might cost to have installed? I already have a rough estimate of about 1100 for the pistons and the rods
N0t sure tell truth. Every place is different. I will ask around and let you know. SOme one here might know though. Have to look though. Most places want to charge 1100ish fr a cam install on our cars.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

That motor will handle alot as is.....what do you plan to do with it?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i really only intend on putting 9-12 psi of boost with a roots style supercharger up in the air between the edelbroch and the roush. Both kits I am looking at puts 10 psi with cars running about 600 horse at the wheels with 580 flbs tq. But what makes me a little nervous is the compression ratio so with that I intended on forging out the pistons and getting h style rods. The pistons they sell are of the 11:1 compression and the 9:5:1 compression so I wasn't sure on which one to go with.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
i really only intend on putting 9-12 psi of boost with a roots style supercharger up in the air between the edelbroch and the roush. Both kits I am looking at puts 10 psi with cars running about 600 horse at the wheels with 580 flbs tq. But what makes me a little nervous is the compression ratio so with that I intended on forging out the pistons and getting h style rods. The pistons they sell are of the 11:1 compression and the 9:5:1 compression so I wasn't sure on which one to go with.
The new Camaro SS runs 10.5:1 and they are making over 700whp in them stock bottle ends. That 1 point is not that much worse.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

The new Camaro SS runs 10.5:1 and they are making over 700whp in them stock bottle ends. That 1 point is not that much worse.
Yeah I am gathering that I can run stock or modded but I just need to find out how much to build it because I would be willing to drop 11 grand with parts and labor when it comes to the forged pistons rods and a super charger install.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT