New shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
New shifter

Hey guys I'm thinkin a new shifter will be my next mod.. Any thoughts on which is best? Im not sure what all is out there other than Barton and steeda triax.. I know the steeda is 20% shorter throw and the Barton is 40%.. This is my first manual car so I'm kinda learning a lil bit in that area.. And what you guys think thatll do to my warranty? If I lose the tranny like a few of the 5.0s have are they gonna try to say my shifter was the cause? Thanks for any input..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I test drove the 5.0 and the throw was crazy short compared to my 08 gt I cant imagine how much shorter you want it....
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

I have a Barton and love it. New shifter shouldn't be the cause of a tranny malfunction... Unless of course you just don't know how to drive stick. But proper installation and use shouldn't void any part of your warranty on your tranny.
Dustin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin2006
I have a Barton and love it. New shifter shouldn't be the cause of a tranny malfunction... Unless of course you just don't know how to drive stick. But proper installation and use shouldn't void any part of your warranty on your tranny.
Once again I'm new to the mt game.. What's up w the shifter bracket they offer with and without it??
Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Re: New shifter

Barton here with bracket. Best one by far.

The bracket is a replacement for the cheap one done by ford. It will help with it going into gear. Several people have even bought the bracket for the Steeda shifters as well. Either shifter you decide to go with get the barton bracket.

Now shift knob. I do not like the barton or the other balls like it. I have put my stock shifter knob back on. It can get kinda slick and my hand likes to slip off when really banging the gears. It is not textured at all. I know 2 other people that thought the same thing.

They will not void your warranty for the shifter.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Barton here with bracket. Best one by far.

The bracket is a replacement for the cheap one done by ford. It will help with it going into gear. Several people have even bought the bracket for the Steeda shifters as well. Either shifter you decide to go with get the barton bracket.

Now shift knob. I do not like the barton or the other balls like it. I have put my stock shifter knob back on. It can get kinda slick and my hand likes to slip off when really banging the gears. It is not textured at all. I know 2 other people that thought the same thing.

They will not void your warranty for the shifter.
Cool deal.. Does the factory shifter fit back on w no mods? I like the ball style but I think I'm like you and would need the grip.. Plus i think the factory one just fits your hand well..
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
Cool deal.. Does the factory shifter fit back on w no mods? I like the ball style but I think I'm like you and would need the grip.. Plus i think the factory one just fits your hand well..
Yes the factory one will fit no issue. If you decide you want a ball late ryou could always just buy it from Barton.

And agree the factory does feel good in the hand.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes the factory one will fit no issue. If you decide you want a ball late ryou could always just buy it from Barton.

And agree the factory does feel good in the hand.
The Barton knob is kind of slick but I still prefer it. I always caught myself trying to hook the knob with my fingers when pulling down for 2nd and 4th! Lol weird I know.

But yeah the bracket is a must. Might as well do it all if you're going to replace the shifter. Oh and a lot of people complain about the shift from 2nd to 3rd with the stock shifter at times... This shifter eliminates that problem completely bc of the shorter throws.
Dustin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

read up on MGW, they have the best shifter on the market IMO, never used one in a 2011 though but I am sure they work great as well in those.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
read up on MGW, they have the best shifter on the market IMO, never used one in a 2011 though but I am sure they work great as well in those.
It just hit the testing phase on cars. Still can't get it no where. They have went threw 3 designs. They had one thought was ready then scrapped it, then again then just about month ago sent some out for testing in real cars.

Every where is still preorder.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It just hit the testing phase on cars. Still can't get it no where. They have went threw 3 designs. They had one thought was ready then scrapped it, then again then just about month ago sent some out for testing in real cars.

Every where is still preorder.
Would it be worth the wait or would I be just as happy with a Barton?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

well that sucks...

MGW is the best, notice they redesigned 3 times... they wont release it unless its the best. I would personally wait but thats just me.

It may have been the GT500 I was thinking about

read this SVTPerformance MGW Omnibus : MGW MT-82 Shifter Preview, Install, and Review - SVTPerformance

then you can compare to the others and see where they lack
Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Road Trip!

You will be happy with the Barton. That I promise.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Also understand what you saying about redesign 3 times. So did Barton as well. They just made sure to get theirs to the market in a reasonable amount of time. Not over a year after every one had there mustang and bought other shifters. If look on S197 a lot of people got tired of waiting and said F' IT and bought a Barton and are completely happy. The Steeda was first on market. Also Hurst just came out with one also.

Either way if you want t o try order a MGW it says call this number.

706.793.1770 MGW

Barton Industries - MUSTANG PRODUCTS - Cincinnatus, NYAlso Barton has a 30day money back guarantee.

-The Barton Short Throw Shifter for the NEW 2011 Mustang.
-Fits both the GT 5.0 and the V6!
-40% throw reduction!
-Machined from 6061 T6 billet Aluminum and 304 Stainless Steel.
-Dual Pivot Trunnion allows for a 40% throw reduction with minimal loss for the neutral left to right throw.
-Minimal NVH rise, for quite operation.
-Maintains Factory Reverse Lock Out and Back Up Camera.
-Accepts factory Knob- and Maintains Factory Knob Height.
-Easy Installation with NO permanent Modifications to your car.

Dual Pivot Trunnion Explained. Click Here

30 Day Money Back Guarantee!!! If this is not the best shifter you have ever used, or you are not completely satisfied with the product, send it back for a FULL refund.
Click HERE for full details.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

As someone mentioned the stock shifter is already a pretty short shift.. I really don't think I care if it's 20% like the steeda or 40% like the Barton.. With that in mind would I be just as happy with a steeda? I really just want a smoother more solid shift.. Easier to get in gear... Maybe buy the Barton bracket and steeda shifter? What you think?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
As someone mentioned the stock shifter is already a pretty short shift.. I really don't think I care if it's 20% like the steeda or 40% like the Barton.. With that in mind would I be just as happy with a steeda? I really just want a smoother more solid shift.. Easier to get in gear... Maybe buy the Barton bracket and steeda shifter? What you think?
That will work. I mentioned I knew some people that has did that. Or thought I did.

YOu can't go wrong with the Barton. I know from experience with it. The few guys I know with the Steeda like it as well. But after checking mine out they like mine more. One guy said it feels smoother with the Barton and shorter(DUH). One the guys then said he still had some deflection and bought the bracket. He commented on how the bracket made it so much easier.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
EHP
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I have the Tri-ax in our 2011 and we do a fair amount of bracket racing with it, so far I really enjoy it. However, I have heard very good things about the MGW shifter, but have never driven one.....if you decide to go with a Tri-ax give us a call we have several in stock! Thanks, Jack
EHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHP View Post
I have the Tri-ax in our 2011 and we do a fair amount of bracket racing with it, so far I really enjoy it. However, I have heard very good things about the MGW shifter, but have never driven one.....if you decide to go with a Tri-ax give us a call we have several in stock! Thanks, Jack
So was all this just to sell the one you carry?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #18
EHP
Registered Member
Regular

No it was not maybe you should read it again, just trying to help. Btw I saw your post about wheels, I just put Steeda 20x11 on the back of mine with a 315 tire, up front a 20x9.5 with a 275..fits very snug and looks great..Steeda suggests the adjustable panhard bar with the bigger wheels in the rear but we had no problem without it. I have plenty of pics if you want to see them....I would try and sell you a set but..............
Old 09-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
No it was not maybe you should read it again, just trying to help. Btw I saw your post about wheels, I just put Steeda 20x11 on the back of mine with a 315 tire, up front a 20x9.5 with a 275..fits very snug and looks great..Steeda suggests the adjustable panhard bar with the bigger wheels in the rear but we had no problem without it. I have plenty of pics if you want to see them....I would try and sell you a set but..............
So why they recommended you to have the pan hard with the bigger wheels? First time heard that.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHP
Dude I'm looking to do exactly what u did I'm getting torque thrusters 18x11 in the rear with 315s. Did u have any issues, clearance is good?
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
EHP
Registered Member
Regular

No we did'nt have any issues with the Steeda wheels at all, bolt on and ride! It really is a set of meats on the back for sure!!! I have had some problems at automatic car washes though some of them are not wide enough for that tire and wheel so remember that before you roll into one!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
No we did'nt have any issues with the Steeda wheels at all, bolt on and ride! It really is a set of meats on the back for sure!!! I have had some problems at automatic car washes though some of them are not wide enough for that tire and wheel so remember that before you roll into one!
I have that issue cause my car is so low with the Front runners on.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Does installing a short shifter negate the new car warranty?

Thanks.
pcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarman View Post
Does installing a short shifter negate the new car warranty?

Thanks.
Not at all.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

SINNERS!!!!! you actually roll your cars through autowashes???? I did ONCE and spent 2 weeks buffing out swirl marks... NEVER again.

Ok on topic now.

I think I am going to go with the HURST..... can't go wrong with them and it looks the nicest IMO
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHP
I've been thinking about getting the same size rims, spyder wheels but am worried about clearance. I'm lowered "2 all the way around. Is your car lowered?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Thats what I was thinkinking. Unless your just going for a look, then you probably have the shortest throw you want...But thats just my opinion. I remember when I bought my new 5.0 I couldnt believe how short the throw was...But if a look is what you want, then checkout Blue Oval Industries - Home for your Ford Mustang Good luck on improving what Ford did right...LOL
itsme37421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy

Just some added info about MGW. From what I have been seeing of them they will be selling a very quality product to the point where they include added insulation and sticky matting to put down around the shifter to enhance the sound proofing and preventing heat from coming up to the shifter and from the video I watched they are looking to generate one that is adjustable as far as how much of a percentage less you have to throw. I have been pondering a barton but I am going to give MGW a call and see when their drop dead date is for their shifter because the add ons they throw in with the shifter and bracket if i end up waiting a month it would be worth waiting.

I am seeing people on this forum that are getting the MGW shifter it says call to order.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ll-review.html
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #29
EHP
Registered Member
Regular

No our car is not lowered YET, we are planning an 1" to 1 1/2" drop in the near future..... I think two will be too much with those wheels and tires.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Just to give all of you a heads up I put in an order from mgw for a short throw shifter. They are waiting on the new shift boots to come in the next couple weeks which isn't a big deal to me since I am gone for awhile anyway. Just wanted to give a heads up that they are selling the short throws for the 2011

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

make SURE you do a how to on the install with good pics and we will post it up in the article section
Old 10-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I will make sure to do that, I won't be able to do the install until late November due to work so I will have it done around Turkey day just in time for Christmas shopping
Old 10-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

sounds good!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy View Post
Just to give all of you a heads up I put in an order from mgw for a short throw shifter. They are waiting on the new shift boots to come in the next couple weeks which isn't a big deal to me since I am gone for awhile anyway. Just wanted to give a heads up that they are selling the short throws for the 2011
Look forward to hearing about the install, seeing pics and how well it works. Did you get the high heat temp / sound shield as well?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
Look forward to hearing about the install, seeing pics and how well it works. Did you get the high heat temp / sound shield as well?
yeah i chose to because i know if i feel a hint of heat through my stick shift i am going to say to myself I am sucha idiot why didn't i get it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT