Best road racing brakes and rotors? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Question Best road racing brakes and rotors?

Hi. I have my car going into the shop for a week. We are still somewhat undecided on the brakes. I have the Brembo package and use Hawk HPS+ pads. We were going to go with Baer 2-piece rotors, and upgrade the rear calipers to 4 pistons. What do you guys think?

Goal = road racing - 25 min sessions most of the time
Power = after upgrades, see below, rwhp should be 550 to 575 and 500 plus rwtq.

Thanks in advance.

My Racing Blog
http://spencer-taylor.com/racing_blog.html
pugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Re: Best road racing brakes and rotors?

I think those brakes will be good. Brembo's should be good. And the Bear brakes in the rear should be perfect as well.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

you should also invest in a proportioning valve. you should be fine with that setup you're going with. i run wilwood 6pf / 4pr.
jk_aktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_aktion View Post
you should also invest in a proportioning valve. you should be fine with that setup you're going with. i run wilwood 6pf / 4pr.
I've heard of proportioning valves, but I have to admit that I do not know much about them. Does it have something to do with distributing the brake pressure?

The stock rotors don't have enough bite on the track. I could go much faster if I could stop faster, thus the upgrades.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

If I understand correctly, it's 500whp w/o a power adder! That is sweet. Are you using factory cams or valves at all? I know you have the Boss intake on there. That is serious power w/o a SC or Turbo.

My Racing Blog
Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
I've heard of proportioning valves, but I have to admit that I do not know much about them. Does it have something to do with distributing the brake pressure?

The stock rotors don't have enough bite on the track. I could go much faster if I could stop faster, thus the upgrades.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

If I understand correctly, it's 500whp w/o a power adder! That is sweet. Are you using factory cams or valves at all? I know you have the Boss intake on there. That is serious power w/o a SC or Turbo.
"The proportioning valve reduces the pressure to the rear brakes. The rear brakes require less force than the front brakes. The amount of brake force that can be applied to a wheel without locking it depends on the amount of weight on the wheel. More weight means more brake force can be applied. If you have ever slammed on your brakes, you know that an abrupt stop makes your car lean forward. The front gets lower and the back gets higher. This is because a lot of weight is transferred to the front of the car when you stop. Also, most cars have more weight over the front wheels to start with because that is where the engine is located. If equal braking force were applied at all four wheels during a stop, the rear wheels would lock up before the front wheels. The proportioning valve only lets a certain portion of the pressure through to the rear wheels so that the front wheels apply more braking force. If the proportioning valve were set to 70 percent and the brake pressure were 1,000 pounds per square inch (psi) for the front brakes, the rear brakes would get 700 psi."

that being said, you are upgrading the rear brakes to 4 piston and it will most likely lock the rear tires before the front brakes can take the force and stop/slow the vehicle.
jk_aktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_aktion View Post
"The proportioning valve reduces the pressure to the rear brakes. The rear brakes require less force than the front brakes. The amount of brake force that can be applied to a wheel without locking it depends on the amount of weight on the wheel. More weight means more brake force can be applied. If you have ever slammed on your brakes, you know that an abrupt stop makes your car lean forward. The front gets lower and the back gets higher. This is because a lot of weight is transferred to the front of the car when you stop. Also, most cars have more weight over the front wheels to start with because that is where the engine is located. If equal braking force were applied at all four wheels during a stop, the rear wheels would lock up before the front wheels. The proportioning valve only lets a certain portion of the pressure through to the rear wheels so that the front wheels apply more braking force. If the proportioning valve were set to 70 percent and the brake pressure were 1,000 pounds per square inch (psi) for the front brakes, the rear brakes would get 700 psi."

that being said, you are upgrading the rear brakes to 4 piston and it will most likely lock the rear tires before the front brakes can take the force and stop/slow the vehicle.
So, are you saying the rear will lock up on the track with 4 piston rear calipers? I'm confused. I thought a larger diameter rear rotors will require 4 piston calipers to get enough grip. The Brembos come with factory 14 inch rotors, but they are average at best.

If you figure that my GT has the exact same brake setup as the GT500, that is scary considering how much more powerful and heavy the Shelby is. I can get to 160 plus on straightaways, the Hawks are not fading but the car needs too much space to brake. I am based that on driving friend's GT-R's and Z07's. Granted, those are much more expensive cars, but that doesn't mean I can have brakes that are as powerful.

My Racing Blog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT