Oh No, Tune issue Headache!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Oh No, Tune issue Headache!!

Well here we go.....I bought a used 2012GT with 2800 miles on it.Has X-pipe to borla attak.All 3''.Has stock air box and no other mod.s. From day one I knew it might be tuned.Just to great of throttle response and run pretty good to be stock.I finally reproduced the skip shift today while trying to make it flash up while riding slow in big neighborhood.Thing is when it does flash up on the digital display I can shift to 2nd no problem.That confirmed my suspicion little more.No,it is not dis-connected next to the tranny.So,my deal is this....Not only do I not want warranty issue to be a problem but I would like to do mods.I have the feeling it will get messy.Alot of tunes are locked!!!I am not sure what would happen if I tried SCT tunes.I spoke with Dan today and he even thinks the car may be tuned.It does redline at 7000 and cut right out.I know been there.Was checking to see if it would go over depending on tune settings.So it is not a tune that exceeds to 7800.I am in touch with dealer and waiting on a return call 2moro.If they say bring it in and try to flash to stock I am not sure they can get in.I have seen this problem with LS cars and the only way around it is for new ECM.Has anybody had any exp. with 2011-2012 Ecm being locked? Just depends on who tuned it is the answer to that I think.I have asked them to touch bases with previous owner or give me his contact info but I believe its gonna be one of those deals where I talk to service manager and have to take car in.I would be Happy if they could get the stock file back in it even if it does slow me down...LOL!This way I could buy my tune and start mods with a peace of mind.What a mess.Bottom line along with keeping some of my warranty stuff straight is I really would like to have my stock file thats out there somewhere.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Re: Oh No, Tune issue Headache!!

Wait. YOU got it to do the skip shift? And redline cut out 7000k. You can still shift to 2nd with no tune on skip shift. From our PM's I thought skip shift didn't come up. I am betting you do not have a tune.

Either way the dealer will be able to tell when they plug in if it is tuned or not. They will also be able to wipe any tune that would be in it and put a stock tune in it. Ask me how I know.

Cause they did it to mine. LOL
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I got it to reproduce the skip shift we talked about but can still shift.Thing has excellent throttle response! Thats what I am saying!The car for sure has a tune in my opinion....I am just afraid of it being one of those deals where its LOCKED!I want my stock file.Then I tune things myself.I buy a tune today it may not work and still on top of that I have no stock file to retain.I just hope dealer can flash it and not run into the ECM being locked.
Now tell me how you know with your exp. of what happen???Hope I have the same luck.Either way the dealer will get it back to stock.If they can not access it they will just have to buy a new ECM.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Well here we go.....I bought a used 2012GT with 2800 miles on it.Has X-pipe to borla attak.All 3''.Has stock air box and no other mod.s. From day one I knew it might be tuned.Just to great of throttle response and run pretty good to be stock.I finally reproduced the skip shift today while trying to make it flash up while riding slow in big neighborhood.Thing is when it does flash up on the digital display I can shift to 2nd no problem.That confirmed my suspicion little more.No,it is not dis-connected next to the tranny.So,my deal is this....Not only do I not want warranty issue to be a problem but I would like to do mods.I have the feeling it will get messy.Alot of tunes are locked!!!I am not sure what would happen if I tried SCT tunes.I spoke with Dan today and he even thinks the car may be tuned.It does redline at 7000 and cut right out.I know been there.Was checking to see if it would go over depending on tune settings.So it is not a tune that exceeds to 7800.I am in touch with dealer and waiting on a return call 2moro.If they say bring it in and try to flash to stock I am not sure they can get in.I have seen this problem with LS cars and the only way around it is for new ECM.Has anybody had any exp. with 2011-2012 Ecm being locked? Just depends on who tuned it is the answer to that I think.I have asked them to touch bases with previous owner or give me his contact info but I believe its gonna be one of those deals where I talk to service manager and have to take car in.I would be Happy if they could get the stock file back in it even if it does slow me down...LOL!This way I could buy my tune and start mods with a peace of mind.What a mess.Bottom line along with keeping some of my warranty stuff straight is I really would like to have my stock file thats out there somewhere.
I think your car is too new to be having all the problems, And the 2012 5.0 is soo new, yu are very lucky to get one used or whatever, but how can you be soo certain that you know how these cars react in shifting, etc. and can be soo certain it has been tuned? I believe "wnt2gofst" may be right. I don't think you have a tune, and the Dealer should be able to tell. Also the SCT tuner can overwrite if something has been entered. Justto re up, the 2012 5.0, responds/reacts different than the 4.6.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

For a couple reasons......First I have owned and modded many cars.With that said I think the throttle response is to crisp and quick for OEM tune.The shift....Well all I am saying is skip shift is apparently disabled.Via a tune I would think b/c it is plugged next to tranny.Anyway,will find out when they call me and most likely carry in.As for sct overwriting to my tune desire.Two things to take in consideration.Tune could be one done at a shop and Locked!If so no sct or any will flash it.Second,I would like to retain and have my stock file.Even with me planning to mod it only makes since to think this way with a 2012 car.Also take in consideration that the previous owner put the aftermarket exhaust.Mod minded person obviously.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
For a couple reasons......First I have owned and modded many cars.With that said I think the throttle response is to crisp and quick for OEM tune.The shift....Well all I am saying is skip shift is apparently disabled.Via a tune I would think b/c it is plugged next to tranny.Anyway,will find out when they call me and most likely carry in.As for sct overwriting to my tune desire.Two things to take in consideration.Tune could be one done at a shop and Locked!If so no sct or any will flash it.Second,I would like to retain and have my stock file.Even with me planning to mod it only makes since to think this way with a 2012 car.Also take in consideration that the previous owner put the aftermarket exhaust.Mod minded person obviously.
You are assuming a lot of stuff. A shop that has knowlwdge on Tuners can change or unlock anything done by Tuners, I've seen it done. One minute you say your car has been tuned, the next minute you say you want to retain the stock tune, so which is it? A person with Tuner knowledge can do many things with Tuners, now I said person with Tuner knowledge, thats not everyone, I can add a Tuner to a car, but I am no way a Tuner expert, I can not do a Custom Tune, I can not do modifications to Tunes for different effects, and I would not claim to. Just make sure when you go, you deal with someone who has the extra "know how".
Old 10-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The car has a tune.I am just wanting my stock tune.Yes,I do want to retain it when I get one.I do plan to do mods,but would want the stock file.I think you are not understanding what I am even try to tell you.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

He wants the car returned to stock for sure. In the event it does already have a tune in it. Ford different reasons. Mainly so he knows what is done to the car hims self.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

As mentioned though. The Dealer can wipe your PCM clean. Reinstall everything. They will need both keys to your car as well. As they have to reprogram them.

Also the SCT will do the same in a way. It will pull what ever tune is in there completely out. An install new one. Not like the GM guys that lock the whole computer.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I have a 2012 gt and sometimes the display will say skip shift blah blah blah, but it will still allow me to shift to 2nd. I figured it was because I shifted before or after the optimal rpm for the car to lock out 2nd. Anyway, mine was brand new so maybe you do have a tune, but I wouldn't use that as a reason you think you may have one. Also, seems like the dealer should have known if you had a tune or not. You bought it from a ford dealer?

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
5pointOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
I think your car is too new to be having all the problems, And the 2012 5.0 is soo new, yu are very lucky to get one used or whatever, but how can you be soo certain that you know how these cars react in shifting, etc. and can be soo certain it has been tuned? I believe "wnt2gofst" may be right. I don't think you have a tune, and the Dealer should be able to tell. Also the SCT tuner can overwrite if something has been entered. Justto re up, the 2012 5.0, responds/reacts different than the 4.6.
Said he had experience with the ls motors so assuming that hes been in chevys for awhile his fears to the car being tuned or not may simple be.... Ur in a mustang buddy injoy the power lol!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Said he had experience with the ls motors so assuming that hes been in chevys for awhile his fears to the car being tuned or not may simple be.... Ur in a mustang buddy injoy the power lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointOh View Post
I have a 2012 gt and sometimes the display will say skip shift blah blah blah, but it will still allow me to shift to 2nd. I figured it was because I shifted before or after the optimal rpm for the car to lock out 2nd. Anyway, mine was brand new so maybe you do have a tune, but I wouldn't use that as a reason you think you may have one. Also, seems like the dealer should have known if you had a tune or not. You bought it from a ford dealer?
Yeah it comes from a good dealer and pretty mod friendly on things.They got the car at 2:00 one day and the next at 4:00 I was buying it.So not really in the dealers hands but just over 24 hours.So I can see them not being aware of much at all at that point.I am going to dealer Saturday.I find out then.Get the stock tune flashed and then within weeks I will start doing my mods.First ones being JLT,SCT and soon after Boss.Meantime I'll be looking at wheels.It's all good and I'll get it straight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT