Taking my first trip to the track tonight! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Taking my first trip to the track tonight!

Well, I'm finally doing it. For the first time in my life I'm taking my car to the drag strip. Me and another buddy who has a 5.0 are going to go down to the local track and run our cars and see how it comes out. He's tuned (stock airbox) with axlebacks, and I have a cai, boss intake mani, and a slightly wider tire (245 vs 235) on him. I think it's still going to be pretty close though, the stock tires being the equalizer.

My plans are to try and launch between 1500 and 2500 rpm. I'm going to try starting out close to 2500 since I've heard the Boss will bogg down if you launch too low, but I think at that RPM I'll just be spinning the stock tires, so I'll adjust from there. Also, with the stock tires there is no real need to do a burnout, correct? Just drive around the water box and spin them a bit to blow the dirt off?

Any tips would be appreciated! I'll post the results from my phone as I have them (if I think about it).
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Well, I'm finally doing it. For the first time in my life I'm taking my car to the drag strip. Me and another buddy who has a 5.0 are going to go down to the local track and run our cars and see how it comes out. He's tuned (stock airbox) with axlebacks, and I have a cai, boss intake mani, and a slightly wider tire (245 vs 235) on him. I think it's still going to be pretty close though, the stock tires being the equalizer.

My plans are to try and launch between 1500 and 2500 rpm. I'm going to try starting out close to 2500 since I've heard the Boss will bogg down if you launch too low, but I think at that RPM I'll just be spinning the stock tires, so I'll adjust from there. Also, with the stock tires there is no real need to do a burnout, correct? Just drive around the water box and spin them a bit to blow the dirt off?

Any tips would be appreciated! I'll post the results from my phone as I have them (if I think about it).
Nice! I know you'll have fun. There's no need to do a burn out with any street tire unless it's a drag radial or equivalent, you'd just be taking tread life off for no reason. Your correct, just a short spin to clean them off..... Check your tire pressure to..... You can let a little out for more traction. Good luck and have fun! I think you should be able to pull with the intake and all. Can't wait to see results!
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Taking my first trip to the track tonight!

Feather the clutch around 3000 rpm's... and shift 6500. What I normally do with good success I have a 2003 GT 4.6l with a CAI in it. It isn't the biggest engine, but it's a fairly light car... Good luck to ya
TheNewKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
Nice! I know you'll have fun. There's no need to do a burn out with any street tire unless it's a drag radial or equivalent, you'd just be taking tread life off for no reason. Your correct, just a short spin to clean them off..... Check your tire pressure to..... You can let a little out for more traction. Good luck and have fun! I think you should be able to pull with the intake and all. Can't wait to see results!
How much pressure should I let out? I don't have a portable compressor to fill them back up for the trip home and it's 30+ miles on the highway.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewKid View Post
Feather the clutch around 3000 rpm's... and shift 6500. What I normally do with good success I have a 2003 GT 4.6l with a CAI in it. It isn't the biggest engine, but it's a fairly light car... Good luck to ya
I'll be shifting around 7200-7300 with the Boss intake. From what I've seen with my current setup that will be optimal.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How much pressure should I let out? I don't have a portable compressor to fill them back up for the trip home and it's 30+ miles on the highway.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

I'll be shifting around 7200-7300 with the Boss intake. From what I've seen with my current setup that will be optimal.
I drop mine to around 28, however.... I have a portable compressor to pump them back up after. If you don't ha e access to one tonight you can always use tonight as your base with normal pressure and adjust from there and see what you get.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
I drop mine to around 28, however.... I have a portable compressor to pump them back up after. If you don't ha e access to one tonight you can always use tonight as your base with normal pressure and adjust from there and see what you get.
I'm sure there is a gas station nearby with air. A short trip on that kind of air pressure won't cause any more damage than running down the track.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Your car might want to stumble some out the whole only launching that low. A lot of people have found this out with the Boss. I know anything below 5000rpm heavy launch me and a few other people had this issue. Some reason though the auto's haven't.

Stock tires I would drop pressure down to at least 28 if not lower. All depends on how much tarck prep they do.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Also 28 isn't going to hurt nothing on the drive to air them up.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So you have Boss,Cai,Tune,axlebacks......Really interested in what your times are to.These are my very near future mods.Let us know and enjoy man.Good Luck!!I know if you had DR for this your times would be pretty impressive compared to without,but I still think it'll be decent.First time out to a track I would say just try to log as many runs as you can.The more you do the more comfortable you will get.Don't worry about if you red lite or trying to cut the tree down with awesome RT's just race and get them slips for us.Wish I could go with ya man.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
So you have Boss,Cai,Tune,axlebacks......Really interested in what your times are to.These are my very near future mods.Let us know and enjoy man.Good Luck!!I know if you had DR for this your times would be pretty impressive compared to without,but I still think it'll be decent.First time out to a track I would say just try to log as many runs as you can.The more you do the more comfortable you will get.Don't worry about if you red lite or trying to cut the tree down with awesome RT's just race and get them slips for us.Wish I could go with ya man.
My predictions are that due to my inexperience, cold temps (it will be in the mid-high 40s), and crappy tires I will do poorly. Probably mid-high 12s, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm over 13 on my first couple runs.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I can do datalogging, but I'm not sure there's any value in it.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
My predictions are that due to my inexperience, cold temps (it will be in the mid-high 40s), and crappy tires I will do poorly. Probably mid-high 12s, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm over 13 on my first couple runs.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I can do datalogging, but I'm not sure there's any value in it.
I see what your saying but if you can find the sweet spot in launches considering the tire situation I think you will find low 12,s with no problem.Tires and I say 11's Also just for a little help I would not go in with a full tank.Maybe a half....Just a thought.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Tires, LCAs, UCAs and relocation brackets, springs and a panhard bar ... that should put me deep in the 11s with my other planned mods. I'm planning to install an O/R x-pipe this winter (holding off on LT headers, not worth the minor gains over an O/R X for the massive price increase) and hopefully get a dyno tune next year as soon as the weather is nice. I'm thinking about taking a road-trip to Brenspeed or BBR!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tires, LCAs, UCAs and relocation brackets, springs and a panhard bar ... that should put me deep in the 11s with my other planned mods. I'm planning to install an O/R x-pipe this winter (holding off on LT headers, not worth the minor gains over an O/R X for the massive price increase) and hopefully get a dyno tune next year as soon as the weather is nice. I'm thinking about taking a road-trip to Brenspeed or BBR!
True,true...What are the cost on those things you listed?Just parts cost?I agree on the LT.Of course they are nice and gains are decent but with a tight budget I like what you are saying.The OEM exhaust manifolds on these new 5.0's are pretty decent for stock.I looked the first day and thought it was a shorty header at first glance
Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I just went down the track for my first time ever too.....my mustang ran 14.1 at 97 mph....im going again tomorrow!! Its so much fun
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
True,true...What are the cost on those things you listed?Just parts cost?I agree on the LT.Of course they are nice and gains are decent but with a tight budget I like what you are saying.The OEM exhaust manifolds on these new 5.0's are pretty decent for stock.I looked the first day and thought it was a shorty header at first glance
Headers are a cool $1000-1300, BBR O/R X-pipe is $289. I'll be losing about 10hp but save a grand. Worthwhile sacrifice when you think about it.

UCA/LCA/LCA relocation brackts/springs and a panhard bars are all over the place as far as cost. I honestly haven't done much research yet to determine what parts are good for my specific application.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Tires, again, are all over the place. I plan on picking up a set of 18's and some Nitto NT05s. I like the look of the 19" wheel but the tire sizes are limited and expensive, and they are hard to keep balanced.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

I want to do these and these in the rear.

The NT05s can be had for $150 (front) and $225 (rear) from here
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Headers are a cool $1000-1300, BBR O/R X-pipe is $289. I'll be losing about 10hp but save a grand. Worthwhile sacrifice when you think about it.

UCA/LCA/LCA relocation brackts/springs and a panhard bars are all over the place as far as cost. I honestly haven't done much research yet to determine what parts are good for my specific application.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Tires, again, are all over the place. I plan on picking up a set of 18's and some Nitto NT05s. I like the look of the 19" wheel but the tire sizes are limited and expensive, and they are hard to keep balanced.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

I want to do these and these in the rear.

The NT05s can be had for $150 (front) and $225 (rear) from here
Buy the BBK LT headers. They showed to make just as much power as the other headers and can be had for a lot less. Check LMS for prices. I got mine on sake for 500.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Good luck man looking forward to seeing ur times as I am same mods boss mani, Cai, and tune also axlebacks. In about two weeks will be LT's and o/r xpipe added! And I agree with wnt2gofst launch at a higher rpm than 2500 as the boss might bog down at lower rpm's. If u have a brembo Stang ur p-zero's should have a lil better grip being they come with the summer tires. I would launch at about 4k. Good luck
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Oh and heat the **** out the tires. The stock perelli's will love you more for it.

Benzo 4k might be pushing it on street tires.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, BBR has great prices on their stuff as well as lethal performance. I need to get to a lower elevation! Here at almost 4,000 ft a new roush stage 2 with drag radials went 13.2.... Lol! A new 5.0 on street tires with cold oar and tune went 13.7. I don't know of you are interested in big and littles, but late model restoration and BBR have great deals on wheel and tire sets with drag radials, mounted and balanced for 1,500! Something to consider down the road.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Doing bad so far... Went halfway sideways mud run and ended up with a run in the 14s. What's the name of the calc that normalizes your et?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Doing bad so far... Went halfway sideways mud run and ended up with a run in the 14s. What's the name of the calc that normalizes your et?
Dragtimes.com ......this will do corrections according to DA.Keep us posted.How many runs you made?Watching your post tonight.good luck!

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
Oh and heat the **** out the tires. The stock perelli's will love you more for it.

Benzo 4k might be pushing it on street tires.
4000 is to much.Leave you doing a burnout practically.Alot on the track prep so who knows.I agree with Benzo and Brad that the tire on the brembo will like a good cleaning I think.Soft compound,short life tire but thats the way it goes.Be sweet if you could borrow a guys DR tonight
Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I have the crap m+s pirellis. P zero Nero, not the p zero which is much better.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Still heat them good.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Are you building back up to much tire pressure?Another words are you dropping enough out.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

On street tires you have to find your mojo to get the quickest time out of them. I've found either leaving around 2500 and slipping the clutch a bit or rolling into the throttle after a soft launch 1500-2000 works best for me. I also recommend throttle lift shifts.... If you power shift the car you're just asking for wheel spin.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

I've got the p zero nero's to..... I didn't notice my launch any better with a burnout vs. a quick spin to clean them off... Check your tire pressure right after your run to see where you're at.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Guys have cut 1.7 60ft's with heating them good. Like a good 4 sec burn out. And that has been on the AS tires.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
Guys have cut 1.7 60ft's with heating them good. Like a good 4 sec burn out. And that has been on the AS tires.
That's awesome! Maybe I'll have to give that a try
Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
Dragtimes.com ......this will do corrections according to DA.Keep us posted.How many runs you made?Watching your post tonight.good luck!

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

4000 is to much.Leave you doing a burnout practically.Alot on the track prep so who knows.I agree with Benzo and Brad that the tire on the brembo will like a good cleaning I think.Soft compound,short life tire but thats the way it goes.Be sweet if you could borrow a guys DR tonight
Sorry guys thinking of launching with DR's I never tracked my car yet did make a pass with my buddies car he had DR's a d I dumped the clutch at 4k and still bogged slightly should be able to dump with the pzero nero's at alil over 2k and do all right.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post
He's quiet now......Probably starting to get comfortable and having some fun.Wish we all could be together at a track tonight.The weather is getting prime for great ET's.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo

Sorry guys thinking of launching with DR's I never tracked my car yet did make a pass with my buddies car he had DR's a d I dumped the clutch at 4k and still bogged slightly should be able to dump with the pzero nero's at alil over 2k and do all right.
As long as ur shifts from there on are good

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang

He's quiet now......Probably starting to get comfortable and having some fun.Wish we all could be together at a track tonight.The weather is getting prime for great ET's.
That would be pretty fun if we were all at the same track! Can't wait to make a pass with my car!!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I want to know how he's fairing against his friend. I think with the boss Intake he should be able to pull on his friend's car.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo

As long as ur shifts from there on are good

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 AM ----------

That would be pretty fun if we were all at the same track! Can't wait to make a pass with my car!!
I agree! Always more fun with other people! I was supposed to go tonight but my buddy had to cancel.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197
I want to know how he's fairing against his friend. I think with the boss Intake he should be able to pull on his friend's car.
Driver skill accounts for alot but on a equal playing field he should be able to smoke his buddy
Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #32
Road Trip!

With my Dr's on I launch at 6000rpms. ANd the car loves it.

WIth the blower I will probably start around 3000 and work way up from there.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst
With my Dr's on I launch at 6000rpms. ANd the car loves it.

WIth the blower I will probably start around 3000 and work way up from there.
What kind of times are u pulling launching at 6k?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ran about even with the friend who had no boss or cai. Track prep was bad. Neither of us ran better than 13.5. Another form member was running similar ETs, he had a 17 sec run once just spinning all over the place.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

I agree! Always more fun with other people! I was supposed to go tonight but my buddy had to cancel.
That sucks

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Ran about even with the friend who had no boss or cai. Track prep was bad. Neither of us ran better than 13.5. Another form member was running similar ETs, he had a 17 sec run once just spinning all over the place.
How were u launching and what rpm?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

« Undecided | SCT? »