Headers install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Headers install

Who has done it??? How hard was it? Looking at the SLP system, headers HF cats and shorty x pipe.
SLP Ceramic Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-pipe (11-12 GT) - SLP M30007
M3to5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to5.0
Who has done it??? How hard was it? Looking at the SLP system, headers HF cats and shorty x pipe.
SLP Ceramic Long Tube Headers and Catted Shorty X-pipe (11-12 GT) - SLP M30007
Will be going that route in week and half! From what I under stand it's difficult to self install. I got a mechanic buddy to do mine for 400$ that's dirt cheap compared to most shops want 700 to 1200$ just for labor. So shop around for install prices! I went with stainless works

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2942459237.png
Views:	305
Size:	794.4 KB
ID:	33414

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2174828083.png
Views:	350
Size:	834.7 KB
ID:	33415

It's the o/r xpipe / header package.
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Headers install

I'd love it if you guys could get some before and after dyno numbers. I'm waffling back and forth between LT Headers or just an x-pipe.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Germany SUCKS for this type of work. Good for me I have a mechanic friend that will do it with me for a bottle of Crown
Old 10-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Texas

Issue is most look at mustansg and still think have to remove the K member like the 05-10 mustangs. You don't have to. It is really tight but will suck if don't have a lift.
wnt2gofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Germany SUCKS for this type of work. Good for me I have a mechanic friend that will do it with me for a bottle of Crown
Hell now that's Savin money!! Wish my buddy would do it for that!

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
I'd love it if you guys could get some before and after dyno numbers. I'm waffling back and forth between LT Headers or just an x-pipe.
Being u have the boss mani and larger cai u would stand to gain more if u go LT's and xpipe, And a lil more if u go o/r x pipe. Will try to find a dyno to post current numbers. And will definitely post after the header install.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Hell now that's Savin money!! Wish my buddy would do it for that!

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Being u have the boss mani and larger cai u would stand to gain more if u go LT's and xpipe, And a lil more if u go o/r x pipe. Will try to find a dyno to post current numbers. And will definitely post after the header install.
I will be going with an O/R x-pipe, the question is whether is will have stock headers in front of it or not
Old 10-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

With the set up I want, I would only need and axle back exhaust..... right?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
With the set up I want, I would only need and axle back exhaust..... right?
Yep that would make u full exhaust system. It dosent pay to change the kick overs as they are only 1/4" smaller at 2 3/4" and that is were ur resonators are. What axleback are u thinking of going with?
Old 10-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep that would make u full exhaust system. It dosent pay to change the kick overs as they are only 1/4" smaller at 2 3/4" and that is were ur resonators are. What axleback are u thinking of going with?

Borla ATAK for expensive.... or Flowmaster Hushpower/American Thunder if I want to go cheap. Either way I am going to jail....lol Germans are real big on their peace and quiet. Headers back full exhaust with HF cats..... yeah... better believe the neighbors are going to know when I leave for work..hahaha

I do remember though reading somewhere that the X pipes were not as good as the H pipes on the 5.0... significantly so... like 12-15 hp difference. ouch!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Borla ATAK for expensive.... or Flowmaster Hushpower/American Thunder if I want to go cheap. Either way I am going to jail....lol Germans are real big on their peace and quiet. Headers back full exhaust with HF cats..... yeah... better believe the neighbors are going to know when I leave for work..hahaha

I do remember though reading somewhere that the X pipes were not as good as the H pipes on the 5.0... significantly so... like 12-15 hp difference. ouch!!!
I e heard just the opposite that the x pipes are more efficient with exhaust flow with no back pressure or restrictions like the h pipe. Will have to read up on this more
Old 10-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Road Trip!

So far I have seen every that every one is running X pipe's with the 5.0. From Evolution/BBR/Livernois/JPC. Has to be a reason.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It was a video I had seen about Heartthrob Exhaust where they made an x pipe for their set up that was not as efficient as the H. You guys are the "boots on the ground" so I would have to believe you guys.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

No way H pipe is better than X!!
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
Road Trip!

although the part pf the exhaust that the cat back replaces is only 1/4. It deletes the resonators. Which take up some sound. It also wil work better in the long run. ALl the exhaust places increasing that 1/4 couldn't be wrong. It has to make a little more power. Also if you look at it. It has some weird flat spots on it that can't be good for power.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
with tune/cold air i made 414whp, with off road x pipe cold air tune i made 424whp, with headers and off road x pipe i made 438whp. With the Boss it jumped up to 452whp(redline was only 7500 then). This was all on t he same tune as well. With a dyno tune it jumped up to 464whp and now red lined at 7800 where it is still making power.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
No way H pipe is better than X!!
It's not. Everybody would have h pipes if that was the case. Evo, lethal, jpc , AM, and many other performance shops that mod mustangs all run x pipes and there is good reason. X pipes are more efficient at expelling exhaust than h pipes. There for gains are better with xpipe.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
It's not. Everybody would have h pipes if that was the case. Evo, lethal, jpc , AM, and many other performance shops that mod mustangs all run x pipes and there is good reason. X pipes are more efficient at expelling exhaust than h pipes. There for gains are better with xpipe.
The truth will set them free.

As far as header. If you don't plan on a SC down the road. It might not be worth the money. Headers with off road X pipe only pick up about 10whp. Not enough you will really miss it. As the most gains to be actually coming from deleting the cats.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst

As far as header. If you don't plan on a SC down the road. It might not be worth the money. Headers with off road X pipe only pick up about 10whp. Not enough you will really miss it. As the most gains to be actually coming from deleting the cats.
I'm still going long tubes and o/r xpipe just to maximize the exhaust flow and I will be set up if I ever go forced induction
Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
I'm still going long tubes and o/r xpipe just to maximize the exhaust flow and I will be set up if I ever go forced induction
I have LT's as well. I wanted that extra 10whp. But some people don't care for that last 10whp for 600-1000 dollar headers.

And ya I am going forced induction. Be here wednesday.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnt2gofst View Post

My thoughts exactly ... especially when you can get a BBR O/R X-pipe for $289 and the cheapest headers (JBA) are $899 with their shorty O/R X. ~$600 for 10 hp? I'll pass lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Not really the HP I was going for......... the sound from a headers back exhaust is intoxicating... from what I have heard on other vehicles. I do not do hardly any drag racing, but being in Germany I do play at 130mph+ speeds on the autobahn regularly and for extensive distances. Over here, intimidation has kept me out of jail. Some dude wants to race from light to light in his riced out VW Golf, 9 times out of 10 I simply rev the engine and they lose interest.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not really the HP I was going for......... the sound from a headers back exhaust is intoxicating... from what I have heard on other vehicles. I do not do hardly any drag racing, but being in Germany I do play at 130mph+ speeds on the autobahn regularly and for extensive distances. Over here, intimidation has kept me out of jail. Some dude wants to race from light to light in his riced out VW Golf, 9 times out of 10 I simply rev the engine and they lose interest.
Get a Roush or SLP axle back exhaust then. They are both quite loud and aggressive without any other exhaust mods.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Get a Roush or SLP axle back exhaust then. They are both quite loud and aggressive without any other exhaust mods.
You are right, both sound good, but my heart is set on one of three right now. Borla ATAK, Flowmaster Hushpower or Flowmaster American Thunder. These are the only ones I have heard in person though...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You are right, both sound good, but my heart is set on one of three right now. Borla ATAK, Flowmaster Hushpower or Flowmaster American Thunder. These are the only ones I have heard in person though...
Do the headers back! U will sound sick and be set up for max flow if u go forced induction later on.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Do the headers back! U will sound sick and be set up for max flow if u go forced induction later on.
I agree. Headers back sounds great. And yes you will be set up for later mods. Cams/SC. If you think you want turbo later least do the BBK shorty headers. Still get gains hp and sound wise.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I concur! And I think u hit the right word to describe a headers back exhaust system INTOXICATING!!! sounds just stupid mean!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT